43 replies to this topic

#41 MadcatX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 November 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

Back in my day I had to walk 10 feet in the blinding A/C to physically turn on my nintendo. None of this fancy shmancy "Hit a button on my controller and turn it on from the bed" stuff!

4GB ram?!!??! I had 8mb and was dam happy with it!

lol sorry the more and more we get into this it really does seem like a generational thing. Younger players tend to have grown up post "cheat code" era when you had to really work at even finding out cheat codes. (Anyone else remember having to BUY cheat code books of Game Shark????)

Now if you can't jump in and do everything you want from the first minute of loading up a game then it's "too much work"

You might want to re-thing your analogy. The new generation want to be able to do everything, our generation put in a lot of work to find cheat codes that would allow us to do everything.

#42 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

It was a joke.............

But analogies aside, newer generations are becoming more and more insta-gratification zombies. Patience and hard work are shoved aside in favor of convenience and speed. Phones, computers, gaming consoles, etc. are all getting faster and faster. I really can remember having a 56k modem and having to use AOL for internet access and having to pay an hourly rate for usage. I can remember having to spend 15-25 minutes to download a single song.

These are all topics and issues that really go way beyond this game.

One of the biggest debates and points of tension in the gamingverse is console vs. pc. Many talk about why but rarely is it discussed that, in my opinion, one of the biggest perks to a console as opposed to a pc is that when I buy that console, it's generally going to give me a gaming life of anywhere from 7-10 years before being "obsolete" and without having to upgrade anything. Good luck keeping up with being able to play today's newest titles on a PC that was built 8 years ago.

#43 Henry Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 November 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

One of the biggest debates and points of tension in the gamingverse is console vs. pc. Many talk about why but rarely is it discussed that, in my opinion, one of the biggest perks to a console as opposed to a pc is that when I buy that console, it's generally going to give me a gaming life of anywhere from 7-10 years before being "obsolete" and without having to upgrade anything. Good luck keeping up with being able to play today's newest titles on a PC that was built 8 years ago.

Just to help the thread further derail its way to k-town... :D

The advantage consoles have (to tie into your point) is that they have a unified platform. All the hardware is the same. All the firmware is the same. The controllers will follow a standard input structure. A game developer knows when they design a game that works for the console, it works for all of the consoles by that vendor. Unlike PC's where all the different components can be entirely different vendors and specs.

However, one advantage PC's have over consoles is added complexity within interfaces. Short of buying a keyboard for a console, the console game designer is restricted to the limited commands or controls set by the console vendor. A PC gets a much greater variety over that.

#44 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostHenry Morgan, on 24 November 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Just to help the thread further derail its way to k-town... :D

The advantage consoles have (to tie into your point) is that they have a unified platform. All the hardware is the same. All the firmware is the same. The controllers will follow a standard input structure. A game developer knows when they design a game that works for the console, it works for all of the consoles by that vendor. Unlike PC's where all the different components can be entirely different vendors and specs.

However, one advantage PC's have over consoles is added complexity within interfaces. Short of buying a keyboard for a console, the console game designer is restricted to the limited commands or controls set by the console vendor. A PC gets a much greater variety over that.

Oh I agree 100%

Consoles are limited and not nearly as complex as PCs (although this new gen of consoles is really starting to close the gap). It's a reason you rarely find RTS on consoles and even rarer that you find a GOOD RTS on them.

They offer convenience and ease of use. Which is exactly what's happened to the gaming market in general. You see what happens when you get strategic and complex games. You get the CoD crowd QQing about making it "friendlier" to new players. Then things start getting dumbed down. That's exactly why you see so many private leagues for pc gaming communities. Most leagues have a much stricter set of rules on how to play the game than what you'll find in-game itself. It's those players NOT wanting an easy button that create those leagues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users