You Want Better Balance? Give Trial Mechs Their Own Queue.

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Trials mechs in their own queue? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Trials in own queue.

1. No way, i love sync dropping and samshing noobs (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Great idea. Benefit to all! (13 votes [72.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.22%

3. I have no opinion. (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jimmy Page

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOh1O

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:07 AM

Why not let the beginners with their trial mechs have their own queue? This way they get to play with others of the same skill level. They all learn together. Given that there is zero tutorial to this game, a steep learning curve and no voice coms. (And none of these in sight either)

It benefits normal groups by not having a [C] mechs shooting rocks and walking into walls and causing losses.

It benefits the new players because they are with people their own skill level. They may get a kill or assist or two instead of getting murdered time and time again by coordinated sync drops with voice coms and then quitting the game.

This game has increasingly low population numbers. Perhaps this would stop players from leaving.

#2 Kalteh

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:20 AM

This has been suggested before.

PGI has responded that the playerbase (especially those in trial mechs at any given time) was not large enough to support an extra queue for trial mechs.

#3 Boris The Spider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:35 AM

Easy solution, use only the smallest maps, search begins map after 3 minutes provided there are enough to make two equal sides of 4 or more. Less mechs on the field would make a less chaotic, more laid back learning environment. Earnings would be garbage, but players would be on cadet bonus anyway.

Edited by Boris The Spider, 24 November 2013 - 03:44 AM.

#4 Henry Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

A player who'd leave over something as petty as a built in voice com is a player who is just looking for any reason to leave the game. Someone with that lack of initiative is just going to find some other silly demand to make, all under the unfounded proclamation of "It will increase the player base".

#5 Xendojo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationThe Frequencies

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:23 AM

They can't do this unfortunately.

They can't split the queue, in any way shape or form. Just not enough players for this to happen.

In ATD 50, PGI stated that the active player counter will never return. Guess there are just not enough players for counting them to matter.

When asked why they removed it in the first place, they said the numbers could be misunderstood. Right.....guess my "beta fatigue" was really why i became bored with the game too.

#6 Henry Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostXendojo, on 24 November 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

When asked why they removed it in the first place, they said the numbers could be misunderstood. Right.....guess my "beta fatigue" was really why i became bored with the game too.

Or, with a free to play model over a subscription model, more players actually play in a 'grazing' style rather than dedication. Try it for a few weeks, move on to another free to play game, etc.... No loss, unlike a subscription based game where the player is paying for online time up front. There is less penalty for taking a break with free to play.

#7 Xendojo

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationThe Frequencies

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostHenry Morgan, on 24 November 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

Or, with a free to play model over a subscription model, more players actually play in a 'grazing' style rather than dedication. Try it for a few weeks, move on to another free to play game, etc.... No loss, unlike a subscription based game where the player is paying for online time up front. There is less penalty for taking a break with free to play.

I think my jest was lost on you.

SO...cut and dried it is.

The playerbase cannot support ANY split in the queue. Even though i think a stock only queue is a great idea.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

unless you put people in random trial mechs, everyone will just use the same trial mechs.

#9 Rhys Erlykov

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostKalteh, on 24 November 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

This has been suggested before.

PGI has responded that the playerbase (especially those in trial mechs at any given time) was not large enough to support an extra queue for trial mechs.

Answer in quote above.

/thread.

#10 mekabuser

• Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

how bout just change the trial mechs? the mg spider just calls to the inner troll in us.the dragon used to be good but asking a noob to run that is just economic suicide for the game.
the other two idk.

they could make two ques but offer more trial mechs. like 12 diff ones.

that would actually be a viable gameplay mode that would appeal to many pilots. But i doubt pgi would implement as there is no financial gain there.
would be excellent pr if they ran it every once in a while on a weekend. YOu know, something for the players , the um fans, which we are all supposedly. devs included.

#11 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

*cough* Highlighting where appropriate...

View PostJimmy Page, on 24 November 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:

Why not let the beginners with their trial mechs have their own queue? This way they get to play with others of the same skill level. They all learn together. Given that there is zero tutorial to this game, a steep learning curve and no voice coms. (And none of these in sight either)

It benefits normal groups by not having a [C] mechs shooting rocks and walking into walls and causing losses.

It benefits the new players because they are with people their own skill level. They may get a kill or assist or two instead of getting murdered time and time again by coordinated sync drops with voice coms and then quitting the game.

This game has increasingly low population numbers. Perhaps this would stop players from leaving.

Topic is called "You Want Better Balance? Give Trial Mechs Their Own Queue.". Says nothing about beginners. And then the poll....

- No way, i love sync dropping and samshing noobs
- Great idea. Benefit to all!
- I have no opinion.

So, where do I begin demolishing your very ill-thought post... okay.

First, you conflate several different issues to begin with. Sync dropping (if anyone can even do it reliably) is hardly a problem. You might be thinking about 4-mans, but that isn't sync dropping, period. Don't mix things up, it's annoying and makes you look bad.

Second, the poll is far from neutral. Anyone with a working brain and a cool head can see it. You make the "No" option seem like only "noob smashers" and "sync droppers" would want it, just to start. That's very bad if you actually want a honest poll. As is I give it exactly no worth whatsoever and no vote. "My" option isn't representable in it.

Third, the thread actually seems to be about beginners more than trial mechs (champion mechs cannot be bundled into the same category as stock mechs anymore, they ARE competitive in PUG play), so the topic is misleading.

And finally, please explain to me how ghetto'ing new players in a low population queue will actually help. (if it is to be believed the game population is as low as you imply. Note I am not disputing whether it is or not, it's NOT the point). I'm sure having newbies fail to find matches consistently is a great driving force towards them sticking around. ( /sarcasm )

#12 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

On your idea I see the first response got it covered. Not enough players to do that. I would like in game voip myself seeing as its been in online games since 1999.

But never mind any of that. As you see you will be attacked personally and now your name goes into the white knights folder. No opinion or thought will ever be allowed or considered again. Such is the way of mob rules on the forums here.

#13 Henry Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostXendojo, on 24 November 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

I think my jest was lost on you.

SO...cut and dried it is.

The playerbase cannot support ANY split in the queue. Even though i think a stock only queue is a great idea.

Ah. Yep, went right over my head. Not enough coffee before responding this morning. :)

I think if they fix the ELO and match maker, it may be enough to compensate for the issue brought up, without having to resort to entirely different queues. I agree in that splitting queues with a hard line like that is going to be a negative impact to the game, not a positive one.

#14 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

I always thought the best way to learn was to get thrown in the deep end

#15 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

while i basically support the idea of a seperate trial ("newbie") que, there would be the possible problem of frustrated ******* griefing the newbies..

so you would need to block that que for accounts with more than a few days playtime or a certain personal score, what ever... after you cross that border, you could still use trialmechs, but not in that que anymore...

wouldn´t stop anyone from creating a "noob-stomp" account, but i guess nothing will prevent from that anyway---

Edited by Alex Warden, 27 March 2014 - 10:07 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users