Friendly Fire And Ramming Damage.

76 replies to this topic

#1 AdvancingToTheRear

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:53 AM

Hello the only real gripe I have about MWO is ramming damage and friendly fire. I pilot a Kintaro and every single match 60 seconds into the match my Kintaro is halfway damaged due to allies ramming my mech repeatedly and not watching where they are shooting. I am not exaggerating when I say that every match about 65% of the damage I take per match is from friendly fire and allies not watching where they are going and running into me. Sometimes there will be a allied light hunter mech lance running around me in battle and they will ram me so many times in my Kintaros legs that one of my mechs legs will be completely destroyed by them. There was one match where 3 allied spiders were running in circles firing 12 machine guns everywhere and they destroyed a atlas teammate by critical hitting his lrm ammo with their machine guns and they blew my Kintaros arm off via ammo explosion in my left torso, which pretty much cost us the match. I know that in the past the developers have considered removing ramming damage and friendly fire, I think it would be a good idea to get rid of friendly fire and ramming damage. Please share your thoughts on this subject fellow mechwarriors.

#2 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:02 AM

Hello there, good first post.

Believe you me when I say that everyone has been there. When piloting lighter mechs, you pretty soon learn to stay out of the lines of also friendly fire. Having said that, you will still find people with incredible bad aim and/or lag. However, friendly fire is one of the basics of any kind of warfare, real or simulated. Taking that away removes a great deal of realism and reduces the game to a silly shooter.

Big giant warmachines ramming and even hitting/kicking each other has always been part of Battletech. Ramming at the moment causes very little damage and isn't a gamebreaker in anyway. Hopefully they can model the mech physical contact better in the future and we can have Axman.

#3 AdvancingToTheRear

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

Or the Hatchetman. Yes I agree that friendly fire is a important part of warfare Rasc4l, but not to the point that it is responsible for over half the damage you take to your mech. I don't believe that friendly fire and ramming damage should be responsible for more damage done to mechs than enemy fire causes, that is just silly. I agree that the developers need to remodel the physical contact system.

#4 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

If they're doing it intentionally (IE "testing" their weapons at the beginning of a round) report them at support@mwomercs.com

Otherwise, friendly fire is just that. It's not always the shooter's fault either. I can't count the number of times, I'm standing there lining up that kill shot at some poor derp standing right out in the open just asking for it. I start lighting them up and some derp teammate walks right into my firing path so that they can get a shot in at the enemy mech, completely disregarding the fact that they're walking right into my firing path. Why should I be punished for that?

#5 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

I find it hard to believe that the OP is taking as much collision damage as he thinks he's taking. I can't recall the last time I actually took damage from a collision. It's rare that I take damage from falling when I jump off a cliff without jump jets.

I really wish that they would increase collision damage in the game. Something needs to be done to at least slow down the bunny-hopping lights. They should fear getting that close to an Atlas... not be using it defensively because the Atlas can't track them. Standing right next to an Atlas' legs is one swift kick away from losing their own legs... or at least it should be.

#6 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 25 November 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

I find it hard to believe that the OP is taking as much collision damage as he thinks he's taking. I can't recall the last time I actually took damage from a collision. It's rare that I take damage from falling when I jump off a cliff without jump jets.

Thing is, though, that the ramming damage adds up over time. Most of the time, it goes to your legs which really sucks as a Light mech. What is worst is when it goes to your CT. Both situations are detrimental to your overall survivability. I've been both legged and outright killed due to both and none of it is really anything that you can prevent.

Friendly fire, on the other hand, is much less of an issue. If anything, it is a glancing blow that amounts to very little. And, in almost ALL cases, it is due to piloting error from walking into a firing lane.

#7 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostNiko Snow, on 25 November 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

Moving to Gameplay Balance

WTF, first time I've ever seen a thread actually moved to 'General Discu'..... ahh I mean 'Gameplay Balance'.

#8 akpavker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 332 posts
  • Locationsydney australia

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostAdvancingToTheRear, on 25 November 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

Hello the only real gripe I have about MWO is ramming damage and friendly fire. I pilot a Kintaro and every single match 60 seconds into the match my Kintaro is halfway damaged due to allies ramming my mech repeatedly and not watching where they are shooting. I am not exaggerating when I say that every match about 65% of the damage I take per match is from friendly fire and allies not watching where they are going and running into me. Sometimes there will be a allied light hunter mech lance running around me in battle and they will ram me so many times in my Kintaros legs that one of my mechs legs will be completely destroyed by them. There was one match where 3 allied spiders were running in circles firing 12 machine guns everywhere and they destroyed a atlas teammate by critical hitting his lrm ammo with their machine guns and they blew my Kintaros arm off via ammo explosion in my left torso, which pretty much cost us the match. I know that in the past the developers have considered removing ramming damage and friendly fire, I think it would be a good idea to get rid of friendly fire and ramming damage. Please share your thoughts on this subject fellow mechwarriors.

well noticing that you started playing yesterday only id have to say that you are being thrown in to matches with all the other new players and noobs that dont have a clue and just shoot willy nilly all over the place.

you'll find when your get in to the game more and you elo bracket balances out you'll be fine. in higher elo brackets with experienced players you'll find that people are more conservative when it comes to friendly fire. even then it still happens on occasion.

#9 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

There should be an exception in the rules to let us shoot teammates who bump into us in the first 20 seconds of a match.

Alternatively, friendly fire and friendly collision damage should just be taken out of the game.

#10 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 25 November 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

I really wish that they would increase collision damage in the game. Something needs to be done to at least slow down the bunny-hopping lights. They should fear getting that close to an Atlas... not be using it defensively because the Atlas can't track them. Standing right next to an Atlas' legs is one swift kick away from losing their own legs... or at least it should be.

I don't think collision damage would be the huge boon to assaults you think it would. 30 tons smacking into 100 tons isn't going to mean the atlas walks away unharmed. And most *experienced* light pilots would be unaffected by it.

View PostFelio, on 25 November 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

There should be an exception in the rules to let us shoot teammates who bump into us in the first 20 seconds of a match.

Alternatively, friendly fire and friendly collision damage should just be taken out of the game.

No damage to anyone for the first 30 seconds of the game?

#11 Nation Uprise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Or at least have Spawn Protection Time. But really, what is the point of being able to damage your own teammates? Obviously its gonna be abused to grief other players. There's no positive to it. Most competitive shooters have friendly fire disabled.

Edited by Nation Uprise, 25 November 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#12 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 25 November 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

I don't think collision damage would be the huge boon to assaults you think it would. 30 tons smacking into 100 tons isn't going to mean the atlas walks away unharmed. And most *experienced* light pilots would be unaffected by it.

You do realize that it's not uncommon for lights to meet up with one another well under 30 seconds and sometimes within 10 seconds of starting a map right?
I suppose they could exchange pleasantries and show each other vacation slideshows for 20 seconds until weapons are unlocked though lol

#13 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Friendly fire, isn't.

Just sayin.

#14 BbadAK

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 81 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

If you find yourself taking a lot of friendly fire, chances are you are at fault for at least some of it. A good thing to avoid is "face hugging" or running as close as possible to your target to unload weapons into them at point blank range. A good rule of thumb is to stay 100m or more away from your target as much as possible. This will eliminate a great deal of friendly fire that is common when multiple people are engaging one target. Another tip is to avoid fire lanes. If you are sitting in a choke point with a bunch of teammates, resist the urge to move back and forth in an attempt to get a shot, you will end up walking into someone else's line of fire.

What this all really comes down to is situational awareness. It is just as important to know where your teammates are as it is your enemies. If you think you are taking too much collision damage then the only way to avoid that is to play more deliberately with your movement. You can only control your own mech, so complaining about others is going to do you very little good and certainly not a reason to remove a core gameplay mechanic.

Edited by BbadAK, 25 November 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#15 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

Ideally you want to get active with a group, skill up and move up the ELO brackets. This will minimize the random firing but it won't remove it, people will just do it in out of place locations/directions rather then into your back. I usually do it myself when testing a new build, so I know how much heat my weapons generate on that mech but I'll always do it off to the side so I don't hit anybody.

Unfortunately though there will always be people who think they're smart and like to start trouble regardless what bracket you're in. My favorite are those friendlies who DFA you just to get around you and you spend the next 10 seconds glitching. I will always shoot them so they get the message not to do that.

Edited by Stonefalcon, 25 November 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#16 akpavker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 332 posts
  • Locationsydney australia

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

no just dont go shooting people in the back at the start of a match like a ret@rded tw@t!!!! on occasion i have knocked a button by accident and hit some 1 in the back buy mistake but rarely happens and i dont ever recall dieing from having a jenner run in to the leg of my atlas. what we have is fine and makes the game unique.

View PostFierostetz, on 25 November 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

like i said before ive never died from a collision at the start of a match. this only sounds like somthing that would wast the devs time to implement.

Edited by akpavker, 25 November 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#17 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

View Postakpavker, on 25 November 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

like i said before ive never died from a collision at the start of a match. this only sounds like somthing that would wast the devs time to implement.

I did once, but only because I was being silly and landed my Jenner on a Stalker, causing both of my legs to take damage with every step before they both broke and I died ;)

#18 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Heck no. Fire control is one of the reasons this game is the "Thinking Mans Shooter". Take away FF and you take away an element of risk and skill. That said the spawn zone should have spawn protection for X seconds to stop griefers. Heck I'll even admit that on a few occasions I got angry and shot my team mates at spawn. It happens, but not as often as it used to in Open Beta. Spawn protection would quickly fix that.

Taking away ram damage would also reduce another element of skill. The skill of not being stepped on by an ATLAS will being in my Jenner.

#19 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

View Postakpavker, on 25 November 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

There was a hilarious glitch back in the day when lights could go 200kph, I was running a commando, go around the corner near forest colony cap beneath the radar dish and I running straight into an Atlas, Boom my commando just disintegrated. Funniest thing I've seen so far.

#20 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

I think there are two things everyone just has to learn eventually - avoid firing when a friendly is nearby and avoid getting into friendlies line of fire. Accidents happen and you can't help it if someone runs to your shot after you fired it, but you can get more aware of the friendlies movement and your own position. Most of the times I get shot by friendlies, I blame myself.

Of course there are idiots in game who derp around, but I haven't seen them in a long time (and I like it that way). Most of the times people get shot by friendly fire is that they start running towards a nearly dead enemy and want the kill - blocking everyone else's line of fire. Well, newsflash, everyone else wants the kill also, so they'll be hitting even thru your mech to get that kill. Herp derp galore.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users