Hill Climb - Worthless?

92 replies to this topic

#1 Atheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 826 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

If I'm reading this correctly, this 15,000 GXP module doesn't actually allow you to climb hills faster, it just means that you'll slow down to your ultimate hill climbing speed 10% slower than you would normally. Is the objective here to make the most unnoticeable module in the game? Please tell me I'm missing something.

#2 Rovertoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 408 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

I think it helps conserve your momentum when running up a hill, allowing you to get to the top before you stop.

#3 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

The objective is to allow players who 'hate' the slowdown/loss of movement versatility compared to older versions of MWO to try out a module that might reduce their annoyance.

In reality, it will likely never be used as there are far more useful modules even if it really ticks you off. Most people seem to be fine as is however.

#4 Atheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 826 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostMonky, on 20 November 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

The objective is to allow players who 'hate' the slowdown/loss of movement versatility compared to older versions of MWO to try out a module that might reduce their annoyance.

In reality, it will likely never be used as there are far more useful modules even if it really ticks you off. Most people seem to be fine as is however.

ok, but they decrease your deceleration by 10%... not 50%. When you get to a hilll you slow to your hill climbing speed pretty quickly as it is, so 10% slower would be less than a tenth of a second difference before your inertia stops having any influence vs. not having the module.

#5 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

for 15k its complete {Scrap}, 5k maybe.

#6 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostAtheus, on 20 November 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

ok, but they decrease your deceleration by 10%... not 50%. When you get to a hilll you slow to your hill climbing speed pretty quickly as it is, so 10% slower would be less than a tenth of a second difference before your inertia stops having any influence vs. not having the module.

I think 25% would be more realistic and capable of producing a noticable effect without making it a trivial mechanic, but it's hard to say for sure without testing on super fast small category lights and super slow huge category assaults. It could be semi-decent with some buffs but likely will never be seriously competitive

#7 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

when I first read about this they gave the impression that the speed decrease was implemented as a penalty and this was a 10% reduction in that penalty, meaning you could effectively climb steeper hills

#8 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

I wouldn't spend my cbills or gxp on this... i don't need to try it to know that it's useless.

#9 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

The question is how much of a difference does 10% make? From the description 10% seems completely negligable/useless, and the 15K price is very steep for a meager 10%.

#10 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

It's your change in acceleration... adjusted by 10%. :)

#11 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

More useful for light mechs that need to stay mobile to survive contact with enemy. If you do not like it, then do not train it or buy it. You have a choice, try not to make your choice someone else's fault.

#12 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

In the current economy 15k GXP is a lot of grind. Players who may not be sitting on a hoard may want to know it is or isn't worth the GXP.

If people are reading it properly, it doesn't seem to be.

#13 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

Seems completely worthless to me...

#14 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostRovertoo, on 20 November 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

I think it helps conserve your momentum when running up a hill, allowing you to get to the top before you stop.

You decellerate to your new max speed in about 0.3 seconds, so you get to take 0.03 seconds longer?

If they changed it to allow your max transversable angle to be 10% greater, *THAT* would actually be useful.

#15 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostAsmosis, on 20 November 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

You decellerate to your new max speed in about 0.3 seconds, so you get to take 0.03 seconds longer?

If they changed it to allow your max transversable angle to be 10% greater, *THAT* would actually be useful.

Is this confirmed or just based on the text?

I know, let's form a lobby, one of us can load the module, then we can drop into the training grounds to test the effectiveness of the equipment before we buy it.

First person to spot the 3 major problems with that sentence gets an internet fuzzy from me :)

Edited by Tolkien, 20 November 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#16 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

let's form a lobby, we can drop into the training grounds, equipment before we buy it.

lets form a lobby, even if you could do you think you'd choke your self on your own tounge quicker then organising that one?

We can drop into training grounds, its wrong not because of what your thinking, its wrong because the values in training ground and what is in game are different (unlocked skills).

Equip before you buy, mmm no idea why that is not wrong, you are right about being wrong... :)

#17 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostCybermech, on 20 November 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

let's form a lobby, we can drop into the training grounds, equipment before we buy it.

lets form a lobby, even if you could do you think you'd choke your self on your own tounge quicker then organising that one?

We can drop into training grounds, its wrong not because of what your thinking, its wrong because the values in training ground and what is in game are different (unlocked skills).

Equip before you buy, mmm no idea why that is not wrong, you are right about being wrong... :)

I was thinking
1) We can't form lobbies
2) Neither skills nor modules function in training grounds (This might be out of date)
3) We certainly can't try before we buy.

Bonus - training grounds if offline so even if a lobby could be formed up I don't think two people could drop in to do a side by side comparison.

Oh well, I guess we have to do it in a live fire environment where not actively engaging in combat is against the UCMJ.

#18 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostTolkien, on 20 November 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

Is this confirmed or just based on the text?

Yes - I confirmed this with some Super secret sources. So if you decelerated from 100kph to 40kph going up an incline in 0.3 secs, this module would reduce that by 0.03 secs.

View PostAsmosis, on 20 November 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Yes.. exactly.

I trust the IGP guys.. I'm not going to spend 15,000 GXP and 6 million cbills to confirm what I already interpreted from the description and what they confirmed to be 100% certain.... Umm.. does anyone want to try and shed some insight?

Edited by MavRCK, 23 November 2013 - 12:09 AM.

#19 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

If you hit a grade that lowers your speed by 80% then with that module it would only lower it by 70%, WOW...OOOOoooo.....AAAAAAaaahhhh......NOT! 15000 GXP for that!

#20 Atheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 826 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 20 November 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

If you hit a grade that lowers your speed by 80% then with that module it would only lower it by 70%, WOW...OOOOoooo.....AAAAAAaaahhhh......NOT! 15000 GXP for that!

If that were the case, this module would be slightly useful. However, it's even less useful than you are imagining. It will still lower your speed by 80%, just that your mech will take 3/100 of a second longer to slow down. I'd put that on a mech as soon as they release a mech with 15 module slots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users