38 replies to this topic

#1 CarpetShark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

UACs jam. It's what they do. Fine.

But lately, mine have almost always jammed on the first shot, therefore not firing at all. I keep ending matches with nearly all my UAC ammo left over.

This has to be a bug, right?

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

View PostCarpetShark, on 27 November 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

But lately, mine have almost always jammed on the first shot, therefore not firing at all. I keep ending matches with nearly all my UAC ammo left over.

I have actually encountered this too, though it seems to come in spurts. I would be OK, if after the second shot, I got a jam, even if It should only be about a 10% chance. But the whole first shot, jam, annoys me.

#3 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

I thought this was happening. I use one coupled with an AC5 so it wasn't entirely obvious to me but now that others have noticed I at least know my intuition was on to something.

#4 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

RNG

Using an RNG means every number has an equal chance to be "rolled". Dice are statistically weighted differently. Long-term an RNG will even out but in short-term runs you will get instances like this. Same thing with maps and why you see some people complaining about getting xx map 8 times in a row. Long-term the map spread is pretty even but you can get streaks like that.

#5 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

View PostSandpit, on 27 November 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

RNG

Using an RNG means every number has an equal chance to be "rolled". Dice are statistically weighted differently. Long-term an RNG will even out but in short-term runs you will get instances like this. Same thing with maps and why you see some people complaining about getting xx map 8 times in a row. Long-term the map spread is pretty even but you can get streaks like that.

It's not that it's a streak of "early jams," it's that it jams on the very first shot, not the first double-tap. This is not supposed to happen. It's only supposed to jam if you double-tap.

Yes, happens to me too.

#6 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 27 November 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

It's not that it's a streak of "early jams," it's that it jams on the very first shot, not the first double-tap. This is not supposed to happen. It's only supposed to jam if you double-tap.

Yes, happens to me too.

If you think it's happening when it's not supposed to submit a ticket. support@mwomercs.com

You'll get a much faster response than posting on here.

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostSandpit, on 27 November 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

If you think it's happening when it's not supposed to submit a ticket. support@mwomercs.com

You'll get a much faster response than posting on here.

What I'll get is "known issue, ticket closed." :/ I was just clarifying what the OP was saying.

#8 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 27 November 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

What I'll get is "known issue, ticket closed." :/ I was just clarifying what the OP was saying.

ok.......
^_^

#9 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

Given UAC5s are represented as a multi barreled gatling style weapon, the entire jamming mechanic makes no sense. Modern miniguns that fail to fire a round simply eject the unspent cartridge and continue to cycle. No muss, no fuss. If they want to implement a 'fail to fire' mechanic, a scaling percentage per round for the round to not fire, but eject unspent would work just fine. That way the weapon would still have a quirk to it, but be more reliable. The current mechanic would make sense if the weapon representation was a single barrel, but since they went multi, it just doesn't fit. Makes me wonder how they plan to screw over RACs when they bring those in...

#10 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostHelsbane, on 27 November 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

Given UAC5s are represented as a multi barreled gatling style weapon, the entire jamming mechanic makes no sense. Modern miniguns that fail to fire a round simply eject the unspent cartridge and continue to cycle. No muss, no fuss. If they want to implement a 'fail to fire' mechanic, a scaling percentage per round for the round to not fire, but eject unspent would work just fine. That way the weapon would still have a quirk to it, but be more reliable. The current mechanic would make sense if the weapon representation was a single barrel, but since they went multi, it just doesn't fit. Makes me wonder how they plan to screw over RACs when they bring those in...

Because that's how it works in the game.

I've suggested a few times (on the other threads concerning this actually) a progressive system.
So your first double tap will be "free" after that it's a xx% chance and each time you double tap before the cool down period the % continues to go up.
Double tap example:
1st shot 0%
2nd shot 5%
3rd shot 10%
4th shot 20%
5th shot 50%
6th shot 90%

Those are just examples to illustrate but it could be adjusted as needed to get a good balance of functionality and drawback

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostSandpit, on 27 November 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

RNG

RNG is just a program, and thus can glitch. How so? SImple. Most often, if I get a jam on the first shot of the game, the rest of that match, It james, first shot, nearly every time. That is not random. That is a glitch causing it to become weighted.

#12 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 November 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

RNG is just a program, and thus can glitch. How so? SImple. Most often, if I get a jam on the first shot of the game, the rest of that match, It james, first shot, nearly every time. That is not random. That is a glitch causing it to become weighted.

Like most things, it boils down to PGI have more half-assed place holder systems that don't work properly than I can shake a stick at.

They'll be fixed soon™ just like I'll have a greater interest to play more frequently soon™

Edited by mwhighlander, 27 November 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#13 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 November 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Am I missing something here............?

If you think it's glitching then submit a ticket. That's the best way to bring attention to it and get them to look into it if they're not aware of it. if it's not a glitch and it's the RNG doing what RNGs do at times then we should continue talking about alternative mechanics for it.

It's like I'm trying to make suggestions and it's like a brick wall. I don't know if it's a glitch or the RNG. We can't know for sure if it's a glitch or if it's working as intended with the RNG. Tickets get things looked at, apathy and cynicism aside, and if it isn't a known issue they find out. Tickets also indicate bigger issues when more players submit a ticket on the same problem.....

If it's a glitch and 5 people submit a ticket on it, the DEVs could look at that and say "Well it's an issue but it's not affecting very many players so it's not a real high priority"
The flipside to that is is 500 people submit a ticket on it, the DEVs could look at that and say "We've got a big issue here so we need to move this up on the priority list"

I get the cynicism but at some point you have to either accept that you can help fix things by taking a few seconds to submit a ticket or just groan about it on the forums. Seriously guys, if you really want to help improve the game that's a great place to start even if you don't get the answer you're wanting

#14 Damia Savon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 608 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostCarpetShark, on 27 November 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

I've had this happen a couple of times today as well. Nothing sucks like catching your opponent flatfooted and all your UAC5 jam at once. Ugh. Thank goodness for ML backups. ^_^

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostSandpit, on 27 November 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

Am I missing something here............?

If you think it's glitching then submit a ticket. That's the best way to bring attention to it and get them to look into it if they're not aware of it. if it's not a glitch and it's the RNG doing what RNGs do at times then we should continue talking about alternative mechanics for it.

It's like I'm trying to make suggestions and it's like a brick wall. I don't know if it's a glitch or the RNG. We can't know for sure if it's a glitch or if it's working as intended with the RNG. Tickets get things looked at, apathy and cynicism aside, and if it isn't a known issue they find out. Tickets also indicate bigger issues when more players submit a ticket on the same problem.....

If it's a glitch and 5 people submit a ticket on it, the DEVs could look at that and say "Well it's an issue but it's not affecting very many players so it's not a real high priority"
The flipside to that is is 500 people submit a ticket on it, the DEVs could look at that and say "We've got a big issue here so we need to move this up on the priority list"

I get the cynicism but at some point you have to either accept that you can help fix things by taking a few seconds to submit a ticket or just groan about it on the forums. Seriously guys, if you really want to help improve the game that's a great place to start even if you don't get the answer you're wanting

You are missing something. You see,. as someone above mentioned, all of us (at least I have) HAVE submitted tickets. And we get told known issue, and it goes back to the back burner.

Believe it or not, most of the changes we have had, good or bad, came from sabre rattling on the forums, not just help tickets. the more something is commented on, the more forum heat it generates, often the higher a priority it becomes. Hence, we will continue to bring things that annoy us up, to continue to get exposure for them. If it bothers you, simply post on another topic, there ar eplenty.

#16 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

This is a case of computers rolling percent better than a human avg. So the jam rating of 20% is like 60% in computer Lang.

Falls under basic computer logic C++ Have a computer roll percent X amount of times. results are always better than average.

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 28 November 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:16 AM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 28 November 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

This is a case of computers rolling percent better than a human avg. So the jam rating of 20% is like 60% in computer Lang.

Falls under basic computer logic C++ Have a computer roll percent X a mount of times. results are always better than average.

i get that, but it doesn't really explain the statistical clusters.

#18 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

Are you sure your mouse isn't double clicking? Mine does sometimes and I get the instajam. Holding the mouse button for too long also triggers the "double tap".

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:38 AM

View PostTahribator, on 28 November 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

Are you sure your mouse isn't double clicking? Mine does sometimes and I get the instajam. Holding the mouse button for too long also triggers the "double tap".

RAT 7. Quality mouse don't jam son! Don't blame the gear, blame the operator!

And yeah, in this case, I am as sure as humanly possible neither human nor mechanical error are involved on this end of things. Other instances, well, this operator can make plenty of errors.

#20 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 November 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

i get that, but it doesn't really explain the statistical clusters.

It does though. RNG's are notorious for clusters like that. That's what makes them a bad mechanic in a lot of cases.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users