Returning Player With A Pile Of Question

4 replies to this topic

#1 Ritter Cuda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

been gone over a year when I left close beta just opened to open beta/ release so ther have been some changes and I am trying to find the info. . So here are my curent questions.
1) what is the ave fire power rateing for a meduim Mech design?
2) have double heat sinks with only 1.4 become a must have?
3) with the lost of repair/rearm cost is armour up grade a must or a good thing ? same for endo?
4)what is the avg heat on a medium design?
5) are ppc still no damage close?
6) lrm worth while? do they do damage close?
7) why have I not seen pulse lasers? gauss and PPC? in the few games I have played
thank you for your time reading this.

#2 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

1) Huh? Depends on the mech
2) Yes
3) No, Yes
4) Again, what? Depends on your build
5) Yes, no dmg under 90m except for ER PPCs
6) Not really unless you want to boat them into non sense
7) For pulse, they simply don't provide enough incentives to use over standard lasers. Gauss got nerfed with the charge mechanic, PPCs are hotter, but you should expect to see PPCs from time to time.

#3 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

1. Depends. The firepower number is a little misleading imo, being total damage alpha strike, which is kinda inflated with missiles, since they will be very unlikely to all hit (the same place). Also doesn't take rate of fire into account.

2. Pretty much, yes.

3. Always use Endo if it's one or the other. some lights can get away with/need both.

4. Heck if i know, depends how good you are at managing heat. It's nice if you have a low heat weapon (like a ballistic) that you can keep firing while you wait for your heat to go down though.

5. Correct, PPCs do nothing under 90, ER PPCs falloff to 0 dmg at 0 metres, believe it's a straight line drop.

6. If you like that sort if thing. The won't arm below 180m, and so do no damage.

7. Pulse lasers are hevier, hotter and much shorter range, for very little increase in damage and decrease in beam duration. Guass has a charge up delay now, so it's trickier to use. PPCs combined with ACs seem to be the norm for the competetive builds right now, often combined with jump jets for poptart action.

#4 D04S02B04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

1) It goes between high alpha mechs (e.g. CN-9A) and maybe low alpha sustained fire long range mechs (2x AC2/AC5 etc.). There's also the JJ + PPC combo you can play which is low alpha as well.

2) Yes. Double Heat Sinks is the only way to play competitively.

3) Armour upgrade is useless. Endosteel is mostly useful for mechs that you want to run a STD engine on. Sometime you may even squeeze in Endosteel on XL engines because you're running a very big XL engine.

4) With any design the general rule is always 1.3 as a minimum.

5) Yes, PPC no damage <90m

6) LRM trajectory has been changed in one of the patches, making it more difficult to hit people hiding behind even limited cover.

7) Pulse Lasers area {Scrap}. Gauss Rifles are mostly employed in a dual role. I've seen players use Gauss in a JJ pop-tart role but thats very difficult. The lack of PPCs is mainly the Elo level you play at is too low. Higher up people use PPC mostly.

#5 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

You shouldn't really pay mind to the firepower rating of mechs, it's very misleading to meter actual damage output.

2x AC2 will show you a firepower of 4, while 2x Medium Laser will show firepower of 10. It might seem like MLs are over twice as powerful, but in reality 2x AC2 deals the 4 damage every 0.52 seconds compared to 2x ML's 10 every 4 seconds. In this example the 2x AC2 deals 7.7 damage per second, while 2x ML deals 2.5 damage per second.

I suggest you use http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab to plan your build and take a closer look to your max and sustained DPS values to better judge the efficiency of your different builds.

For upgrades, Double Heat Sinks is practically must-have for all mechs. Endo and Ferro are just weight savers that you should use if you have lots of empty crits on your build but hit the weight cap. Always use Endo first. There is no other difference between standard armor and ferro-fibrous armor besides their weight, and endo-steel structure always saves more weight for the exact same crit cost than ferro-fibrous armor.

Edited by Kyynele, 01 December 2013 - 11:24 PM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users