232 replies to this topic

#221 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 20 January 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

I'm not necessarily a big fan of the launch process as it's currently described to us, but frankly, yes (but it's not "my" way).

Almost every team game has roles that each player is expected to fill, the difference here is that we get to figure out what those roles are, and which ones we're good at, within the limits placed on us by PGI ... right now, those limits are 12 mechs, 240-1200 total tons, pre-made groups of 2-4, or one pre-made group of 12 ... pretty loose. Check any of the upcoming competitive leagues (MRBC, RHOD, Marik Civil War, etc.) they all have either class or weight restrictions for their matches, because it make the game more interesting and challenging.
There really are no roles in this game it is almost exclusively about slugging it out, and because of that Assaults hold the advantage. Give mediums a proper role on the battlefield and I'm all for people taking them if that is what they want to pilot, but forcing people to use mechs that they may not even enjoy does not create interesting and challenging play for everyone nor does it address why Assaults and Lights are often the better choice. What one person finds fun is not necessarily fun for someone else.

If PGI wants to impose class restrictions (i.e.: 3/3/3/3) or weight limits (720 +/- 60 tons), etc., then it's their game, they can change the rules ... I'm prepared to adapt, because I want to keep playing. I'd rather not class restrictions, but weight limits are a reasonable compromise.
As far as I am concerned those restrictions are one in the same and would not classify as a reasonable compromise for each other. I want a compelling/interesting reason to take a medium rather than being forced into taking one just to fulfill some misguided attempt at making the games more varied.

This is one more reason why I believe they should have waited until Community Warfare was live before "releasing" the game ... all we really have right now is the core mechanics of what this game will look like in another year.
Agreed.

#222 Valcoer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII Silesia

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

First things first who has company command is the first concern not making weight. As it stands if you have a slow connection you are never the company commander unless no one else wants it. This is unacceptable. the person with the highest loyalty to the faction their side represents should be the company commander.

second meeting weight restrictions this should be selected before the match making begins. Not after you are in a match and 480 is completely unacceptable as a maximum for a 12 man and is ridiculous if you intend it for a four man. 1200 should always be the max. 240 should always be the minimum. People that wine about unbalanced weight need to buy/ bring bigger mechs. Weight is not a realistic concern for any true mech warrior. The only people that complain about it are those that want to restrict their opponents for no good reason. I have seen a light companies out fight salt companies so saying you are out weighed is not a valid excuse for loosing.

Mc for anything that affects the match such as reshuffle of the teams or the maps is unacceptable. If you want to charge people to play do so but don't bill the game as free to play then turn it into pay to win.

lastly all settings should be set by the teams before hitting the launch button for public match with the exception of map. Map should be based on the planet being taken. It could have a random of up to four different zones that could be selected but should not be he full range of maps available.

#223 nitra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

i dont understand this whole shuffle system .

why not just implement a room system ?

room 1 general mayhem :

pretty much what we have now, minus people looking for more interesting game modes.

room 2 trial only:

self explanatory , trial mechs only allowed in these battles

room 3 assault slugfest

all 85 tons or higher, skirmish only .

How the room system would work would be rather simple and even allow PGI to monetize certain aspects of it.

for example Billy, wants to setup a room for a traditional mech warrior game.

he is presented with an ui element to create a new room when he accepts he is taken to a screen where can just click next and setup a general mayhem room or he can click customize

billy wants a specific type of a game

so he chooses customize.

he is the presented with a list of modifiers that dictates what kind of mechs can join the game .

looking through the list he chooses the trial only hierarchy

he then drills down through the list .

and excludes all the mechs .

he then chooses to allow 2 jenners ,

2 hunch backs, a shadow hawk, 2 cicadas,

1 orion, 2 catapults, 1 dragon

and 1 atlas .

this is what can be fielded by both teams (if billy chooses he could pay mc to unlock the uneven team constructor, where he could if wanted, have the previous config face of against 12 spiders. )

His next option is to choose game mode he clicks on skirmish but he wants to only play on 3 specific maps, so he spends the cbills and chooses the 3 maps he wants to play on.

upon clicking next he is asked to title his game room ( BILLYS TRADITONAL MECHWARRIOR) and it becomes advertised in the room browser

where players are searching for games that are more their speed rather than the chaos of the genral mayhem room .
these playes can click on that room and get a overview of the rules , trial only which mechs are allowed and what maps will be played on.

after a few minutes billys room fills up and he launches his game where those player enjoy this custom mech warrior match.

Key points :

Players are able to create there own rooms

players have a choice of base options to customize the games they are creating

further customizations will either cost mc to unlock or cbills depending on the value they add to the player experience. (dont get greedy keep it fun and make the mc stuff worth while unlocks)

a system similar to this would be far more preferable in my mind as it would empower the players.

PGI could benefit from those players who wanted more control over the game, via offering meaningful modifiers to provide interesting custom games.

a fun one just to toss out, would be stop the assaults .

objective : prevent the team of assults from reaching a point on the map and destroying a target.

limitations: team a: consisting of 5 assaults
team b : consisting of 5 lights and 1 heavy (Battle value restricted)

and this mod would cost a few mc to unlock .

Empowering the player base with options to customize their games would be a great way to improve mech warrior with the benefit of increasing in game income.

Edited by nitra, 28 January 2014 - 11:23 PM.

#224 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

Jesus PGI, stop building Rube Goldberg machines to fix simple problems.

#225 Adran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:57 AM

Really, this kind of system should not be a Cbill sink. I'd rather earn X "reroll" points per match I play, and spend "reroll" points. Cap such a system at enough points to reroll maybe 3 times. Almost anything else will just cause problems.

#226 Adran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:02 AM

View PostValcoer, on 21 January 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

First things first who has company command is the first concern not making weight. As it stands if you have a slow connection you are never the company commander unless no one else wants it. This is unacceptable. the person with the highest loyalty to the faction their side represents should be the company commander.

second meeting weight restrictions this should be selected before the match making begins. Not after you are in a match and 480 is completely unacceptable as a maximum for a 12 man and is ridiculous if you intend it for a four man. 1200 should always be the max. 240 should always be the minimum. People that wine about unbalanced weight need to buy/ bring bigger mechs. Weight is not a realistic concern for any true mech warrior. The only people that complain about it are those that want to restrict their opponents for no good reason. I have seen a light companies out fight salt companies so saying you are out weighed is not a valid excuse for loosing.

Mc for anything that affects the match such as reshuffle of the teams or the maps is unacceptable. If you want to charge people to play do so but don't bill the game as free to play then turn it into pay to win.

lastly all settings should be set by the teams before hitting the launch button for public match with the exception of map. Map should be based on the planet being taken. It could have a random of up to four different zones that could be selected but should not be he full range of maps available.

Spoken like someone who has never seen the game put 600 tons of 'Mech against 1000 tons of 'Mech. Weight limits in please.

#227 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

Adding my vote to the "Please don't do this PGI" list.

Balance tonnages, don't restrict them. 4 Atlas vs 4 Awesome, I can live with that as long as the team with Awesomes have Orions and the other team has Wolverines / SHD's. It doesn't have to be an exact match, it just has to be balanced.

I get that your probably try to get more mediums into the battlefield with a tonnage restriction, less assaults etc. But you've alreayd given players flexibility on loadouts etc.

No, just no.

#228 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:17 AM

As long as this piece of **** comes out with the ability to play custom matches with and against EXACT people we want I don't care. If it does not ... bye bye.

#229 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 02 December 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

This is going to be terrible. Tonnage limits are great, but trusting the players to sort it out in a civil manner while money counts down? It's just going to be a matter of the nicer people slowly giving in and switching 'mechs, while the stubborn ******** get to do exactly what they want.

Edit: I'll be doing a larger write-up of my proposal probably next week, but the gist is this:
  • Each tonnage has an associated reward multiplier that varies based on matchmaker demand. Example: everyone is playing assaults and heavies; their reward multiplier is dropped to 90%, while mediums get a boost to 110%.
  • Players pick a tonnage and make a dropship for that weight. Example: a player picks 85 tons and fills a dropship with Stalkers and Battlemasters.
  • Each weight also has an associated estimated wait time. If the matchmaker doesn't need anything around 90 tons, not only will you get less money, but you'll also probably have to wait a couple minutes for matches.

You can argue all you want that it will unfairly penalize assault pilots, but what does that tell you? It's pretty clear that assaults are the best class in the game by their very nature, and I don't believe that playing an assault every round should be treated like playing a medium every round. If you want the premium seats, you better be willing to wait in line.

I absolutely agree, give an incentive for those ready to consider other choices except assault. There is always going to be that all ASSault person, but at least those who can work with multiple classes get something (except that warm fuzzy feeling) for their flexibility.

#230 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:15 AM

View Postfil5000, on 17 December 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

Bryan has tweeted that they're shooting for 60 tons per player, which would suggest the 480 was based on an 8 man team. Why on earth they didn't update it to reflect the 12 man teams they put in months ago before releasing this document I don't know.

This is from an old napkin...

#231 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostCathy, on 20 January 2014 - 07:28 AM, said:

I think the way its being reported, and with the alleged tonnage limits its just an example of how PGI's game desgners are showing how utterly out of touch they are, if they think more restrictions are going to make more people play this game.

people are leaving without them designing a system where people can't drop in their favorite mech.

Add knock downs and the supposed lifting of 12 mans and unrestricted pre-mades launching with singletons which mercs (not mercany untis) are supposed to be, come this announced april and you can remove about 20% of the active population, to add to those that will be forced to stop playing when UI2 is launched without people being able to configure joysticks in options and you have this game shut by autumn.

Hm I kinda agree and disagree on that. The right kind and amount of restrictions will make more people play this game.

People are also leaving because they can not drop together with their friends.

Adding knock downs may actually balance light mechs as they have a to big fighting impact and do not fullfill the supporting role like scouting, tagging, capping etc.. They simply do overperform and it takes to few skill playing them. This is why we see lights running into whole enemy companies without harm or those "ECM sniper aces" that bereave their team of ECM cover to place half damage ER Laser shots until the rest of the team is dead and they start to run away and hide...

Unrestricted but balanced premade formation on both teams actually will bring players back to the game and massively boost the community build up and thus player retention. The 4 player limit is killing cooperative play and the huge gap between 4 and 12 player asures that never enough people are around to form a full 12man!

The ability to configure joysticks may attract the steering wheel underhive, so an option for that would not harm, yet enable people to play the game with "in my subjective point of view" harder to use controlls.

Edited by Ryoken, 23 February 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#232 Tw1stedMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

I will literally drop this game right now and cancel my planned purchase of the clan mechs if that 480 ton limit is for 12 players. My least favorite mech to both play as, and play against is the light mech and at that limit at least 75% of the mechs in the game would have to be light mechs... Yeah hell the %&^# no. I suggest keeping a queue without tonnage limits or at least double the tonnage max and mins. 480 should be the absolute minimum not the maximum. I would say somewhere between 800 and 1000 tons would be acceptable to me and the people I play with as a max. Either that or I guarantee you will lose many many players...

Edited by Tw1stedMonkey, 23 February 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#233 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostValcoer, on 21 January 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

second meeting weight restrictions this should be selected before the match making begins. Not after you are in a match and 480 is completely unacceptable as a maximum for a 12 man and is ridiculous if you intend it for a four man. 1200 should always be the max. 240 should always be the minimum. People that wine about unbalanced weight need to buy/ bring bigger mechs. Weight is not a realistic concern for any true mech warrior. The only people that complain about it are those that want to restrict their opponents for no good reason.

What an ignorant thing to say.
-1 Sir.
I'm being forced into heavies and assaults, mechs I don't like playing to stand against all the superheavy teams I face. Why is that okay for me but not okay heavy/assault pilots sometimes have to roll in something smaller?
Ever hear the phrase "what's good for the goose is good for the gander?"

Or translated for you:
I want to play MY WAY. If you don't like MY WAY you must play MY WAY to compete. Either way, MY WAY is RIGHT.

Sometimes, compromise must be made in the name of fairness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users