My Trebs Are Just That Little Bit Better

32 replies to this topic

#1 Father Tork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

I was concerned about the patch changes making my Trebuchets more vulnerable with their XL engines, as previously they pretty much only took damage to the CT.

With the patch, they still have big CTs that absorb most of the damage, but the minimal change allows just a LITTLE bit of damage to spread, letting them last just that smidge longer so they're by no means OP, but not so obviously bottom of the medium barrel anymore.

:wub:

#2 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

The Trebuchet is perhaps one of the more forgotten mechs in the game. I rarely see them, but at the same time I can't really think of a major reason why they're rare.

I think most people disliked how tall it is, but now that we have the Shadow Hawk that turned out to be very popular (was in a match last night where the enemy team had 6 of them) I can't see why being tall is that unusual.

I had one, but the reason I got rid of it was simply because it wasn't different enough from my AL Centurion.

#3 zztophat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 04 December 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

The Trebuchet is perhaps one of the more forgotten mechs in the game. I rarely see them, but at the same time I can't really think of a major reason why they're rare.

I think most people disliked how tall it is, but now that we have the Shadow Hawk that turned out to be very popular (was in a match last night where the enemy team had 6 of them) I can't see why being tall is that unusual.

I had one, but the reason I got rid of it was simply because it wasn't different enough from my AL Centurion.

They are big, not particularly agile, somewhat fragile and the roles they can fill are better filled by other mechs.

I tried one myself, sold it shortly after buying.

#4 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

I've always liked the Trebs and never really understood the hate that gets thrown their way either. Yes, they are big but they can mount large engines that allow them to run plenty fast (115kph once you get speedtweak). Thats way faster than most mediums and on the 5J and 7M you get jump jets for extra mobility. Add to that the fact that you can mount a decent weapons loadout even when going faster than 100kph and you've got a mech that is pretty well rounded.

I did see a match with 3 Trebs this week... Its been months since I've seen that.

#5 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

They excel when paired with another similarly weighted medium (cent or shawk) as together they can bring down much bigger opponents fairly easily. The 7k treb and a centurion complement each other well as do the 7m treb and the shawk.

#6 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

The only thing with a smaller side torsos is the Jenner.

They should look like this

Posted Image

#7 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

View Postzztophat, on 04 December 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

They are big, not particularly agile, somewhat fragile and the roles they can fill are better filled by other mechs.

I tried one myself, sold it shortly after buying.

Not agile? half are JJ capable so they are already more agile than most other mediums already, and one of them is tied as the second fastest medium at 140KPH.

#8 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

I hated the 7M, though I was dead set on using PPCs on the 7M (perhaps I should've gone the LL route instead) due to the large arms. Streaks were still mandatory though (NARC missile slot being the major culprit). I had much more success in the 5J.

With that said, the 7K is the diamond in the rough, but already supplanted by the Shadowhawks (particularly the SHD-5M).

#9 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

They're big, easy to hit, and the only variant with ballistics has no JJ. Let's face it: lasers and missiles are very lackluster right now. Unless you're a light, if you can't take at least one ballistic you're not going to be very popular.

#10 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

trebs rock.

#11 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

Not to mention if you see something threatening at a decent range, you can run sideways giving them that Anorexic actress side profile!

#12 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

I like the trebs. Especially the 7K (I play it like a hunchy with an AC/20 and two ML, but without the weakness of a huge hunch). Only problem is that most variant got their main weapons in the arms, which is also used to soak up damage between shots. So you either keep your guns and get center cored or have to sacrifice your weapons to live a bit longer, unlike the Centurion that got a designated arm to shield with and got CT weapons to zombie with.

Also, gotta love that torso pitch!

#13 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

Its true you will most likely lose some arms every match, thats why its imperative to fill every weapon hardpoint so you will have something later on in the match.

#14 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

With the new spawn points being more friendly towards LRM support mechs, I'm considering taking out my LRM Trebuchet again. Besides that, my favorite and most used mech is my TBT-7k, despite proof of it being outclassed by both my Jenner and my Shadowhawk. I simply enjoy being the equivalent of a giant panda in the game, having an entire variant almost exclusive to me. It's my icon.

Compared to other ballistics 50T mechs, The TBT-7k doesn't have the massive shoot-me-here ballistics barrel that the Hunchback has, nor does does it regulate its ballistics to the more vulnerable arms like the Centurion.

Edited by Alcom Isst, 05 December 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#15 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

The Treb does seem pretty rare.

I don't like the Treb, but I honestly couldn't give you a good reason why. I just don't care for them.

#16 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

They are rather large (and lack the high-mounted ballistics the Shadowhawk has), somewhat fragile, and heavily dependent upon missiles.

Unfortunately, missiles are in a bad state right now, with poor hit detection on SRM's and LRM's generally being useless unless you can put 30 or more on target thanks to AMS.

Together, that makes the Trebuchet rather lackluster, unfortunately. The concept - a fast LRM mech - is sound, but the game doesn't really support that well.

#17 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,436 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

One of my favorite mechs. Still like my trebs more then my shaqhawks.

#18 Jack Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSwimming in the lava pools of the Pug Zapper of Mordor, Planet Terra Derpa

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

I had sold all of my Trebs off after only getting through Basic months ago because I hated them. They just did not work for me. But I had been thinking recently that I couldn't remember the last time I had even seen a Treb on the field, it must have been a few weeks. So I rebought my TBT-3C, painted it in some pretty garish colors (Mantid and Blood Orange, I think), and decided that I would be the Treb on the field.

Promptly after that I saw at least one other Treb each match that night. :ph34r:

On a side note, running that Treb under-armored is both terrifying and fun at the same time. Makes you pay attention to where you are.

#19 Father Tork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

I enjoy the 7K thoroughly, but despite the supposed failures of SRMs, I'm most successful in the 7M;
Blammy

The average to good match nets in the 500 damage area, even more consistently since the Dec 3rd patch.

#20 Father Tork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Pre-patch they were really rough to play. Not only was the entire crotch CT, but part of the rear counted as forward CT...

But as my first mechs purchased, with enough practice you got used to it.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users