Mwo Powercreep? Upcoming Saber Reinforcements Vs Rest

32 replies to this topic

#21 MadcatX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

With all this talk of the shadow hawk being OP in it's own right, I can see it getting nerfed down the road.

#22 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostMadcatX, on 07 December 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

With all this talk of the shadow hawk being OP in it's own right, I can see it getting nerfed down the road.

I never called it OP, if anything it's the baseline that all mediums need to be measured against; if any medium does not measure up against it, it should be buffed. Of course, PGI will probably just nerf it to appease assault pilots who don't want mediums to be good. :)

Edited by FupDup, 07 December 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#23 KharnZor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

View PostMadcatX, on 07 December 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

I hope not.

#24 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

pssh, assaults. I cockpited 2 highlanders today back to back on crimson straights in my poor poor little under powered HBK-4P. Standing challenge, I'll take on any other medium mech in my swayback.

on topic, in no way are mediums creeping up the power creep. they are by default the hardest mech to pay right now due to the over abundance of assaults and heavys. typically on an entire battletech battlefield, there might have been 2 assault mechs. normally none. it's the logistics of getting it there. cost/space/fuel/upkeep. none of which we have in the game. ok I'm off track.

to me It just sounds like the OP is one of those highlanders I 1-shot today in his 733.

#25 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:24 AM

View PostFupDup, on 07 December 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

I never called it OP, if anything it's the baseline that all mediums need to be measured against; if any medium does not measure up against it, it should be buffed. Of course, PGI will probably just nerf it to appease assault pilots who don't want mediums to be good. :ph34r:

Use guile then and stop using mediums. :)

#26 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:58 AM

Don't worry, they're not capable of planning a power creep.

Case in point: The Shadow Hawk, released way before the remaining two Phoenix Mechs, is more powerful than all the others in Project Phoenix AND Saber Re-enforcement.

#27 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:23 AM

so far no phoenix mech is overly powerful compared to other´s... i doubt that will be different for the saber mechs... they´re nice, but that´s about it

Edited by Alex Warden, 08 December 2013 - 04:24 AM.

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:15 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 08 December 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Don't worry, they're not capable of planning a power creep.

Case in point: The Shadow Hawk, released way before the remaining two Phoenix Mechs, is more powerful than all the others in Project Phoenix AND Saber Re-enforcement.

More powerful?

IDK about that. One of the few designs that truly reward good piloting? Yeah. It's not like an early ECM Raven, or a Bugged Spider or even a Zombie Cent in that there is obviously something "not right" or OP.

The vast majority I see still get killed pretty fast. But I liken it to Ken and Ryu in old Street Fighter II. They were not favored, because the "Meta" was for people to Cheeze with Guile and Chun Li, who had much easier learning curves (Think Poptarts). But when someone took the time and lumps to master them, a good Ken or Ryu player could destroy anyone, cheeze or not. But the learning curve to "unlock" that potential was high enough that most people using them just lost. A lot.

#29 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:44 AM

It's just a real shame that all the PP mediums are the same tonnage, and thus in direct competition with each other.

#30 Throbbinwood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:27 AM

I don't really see power creep being an issue in this game as it's more skill based than anything. Look at the phoenix mechs. With the exception of the SHD, none of them offer anything over the pre-existing chassis selection. In fact I have went back to playing my Protector after the hitbox changes and rarely even use my phoenix mechs. To me this game is about variety in mech chassis and loadouts, not new mech releases getting better as time goes on, just different. The only hurdle will be clan mechs and tech.

#31 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostThrobbinwood, on 08 December 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

I don't really see power creep being an issue in this game as it's more skill based than anything. Look at the phoenix mechs. With the exception of the SHD, none of them offer anything over the pre-existing chassis selection. In fact I have went back to playing my Protector after the hitbox changes and rarely even use my phoenix mechs. To me this game is about variety in mech chassis and loadouts, not new mech releases getting better as time goes on, just different. The only hurdle will be clan mechs and tech.

Well, one could argue that the Thud is more durable than the other 65 tonners, and that the Battlemaster is like a Stalker that is XL friendly and with more dakka. How useful either of those attributes is can be debated, though.

Edited by FupDup, 08 December 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#32 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostYiazmat, on 07 December 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

pssh, assaults. I cockpited 2 highlanders today back to back on crimson straights in my poor poor little under powered HBK-4P. Standing challenge, I'll take on any other medium mech in my swayback.

on topic, in no way are mediums creeping up the power creep. they are by default the hardest mech to pay right now due to the over abundance of assaults and heavys. typically on an entire battletech battlefield, there might have been 2 assault mechs. normally none. it's the logistics of getting it there. cost/space/fuel/upkeep. none of which we have in the game. ok I'm off track.

to me It just sounds like the OP is one of those highlanders I 1-shot today in his 733.

Woot woot! One shotting Highlanders in a Hunchback AND he's from Bakersfield...legendary.

#33 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

To tell the truth I would let a FASA developer come in and tell PGI "What the "Scrap" did you do to my game?" because well they really stretched cannon with the weapon translation. That is what this thread is about right?

Many past PC/TT/BT/MechWarrior designers and players have tried to help PGI/IGP but they want it there way and as you can see by the games poor core design I don't think its working out to well for PGI/IGP. One of the reasons each mech cannot find a niche slot in MWO is because the mech bays cost money and many players will not buy 100 mech bays to own all the mech chassis and alternate load outs per mech.

I would assume most new players and some longer term players still have 4 mech bays and 4 mechs having to sell off the ones they feel under perform to get a mech that performs a bit better based on the flavor of the month cheese build or imaginary meta. So to make more mechs playable and give them usage just make mech bays free or a small Cbill cost then you will see dragons awesomes etc. running around in every battle.

Edited by PappySmurf, 08 December 2013 - 09:19 AM.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users