44 replies to this topic

#21 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostJunkman7mgte, on 09 December 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

Exception to NOT spending MC on a mech you can buy with C-bills ... The sales you mention in your last line. One sale I was able to get 3 mechs I knew I'd use, and the bays, and still had enough MC left over for a couple more bays, from a $15 package. It was a bargain IMO, compared to the time investment.

Fair enough - I can't say that I'm opposed to avoiding the grind by dropping some $. I did buy into the Founder's, Overlord and Saber packages. :)

I just try and avoid buying standard mech variants. Granted, it's also easier for me to make that argument, since I own so many mechs that I still haven't played yet, the idea of buying a non-hero with MC just seems silly.

Edited by Buckminster, 09 December 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#22 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

Ways to avoid the grind are literally what keeps the game free to play. If you have enough disposable income and like the game, have at it. But be sure you like the chassis before buying a hero mech (i.e. try the Cbill variants first).

#23 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 09 December 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

I just try and avoid buying standard mech variants. the idea of buying a non-hero with MC just seems silly.

Got to agree with Buckminster here. If you really want to drop some MC for a Mech then getting a normal one that you could otherwise grind for seems a huge waste to me. Get a Hero and you will use it. < I find just reminding myself how much I paid for it will guilt me into even using the old punch bag that is a Pretty Baby!>

#24 Junkman7mgte

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

Don't get me wrong guys. I'm not advocating buying mechs, just, because they are on sale. But, don't discount the fact that sometimes the deal is actually a deal. Looking at the Mech Bay, it was the hbk-4j, ctf-4x and aws - 8q when they were coming off of being trial mechs. Those 3, with mech bays, enough MC for 2-3 more bays, and a bit left over, for $15, was a way to get into the game a bit faster at the time. That, and I was working enough OT back then, it was a drop in the bucket. Hell, my booze bill for a good night of gaming is often more than that $15 :)

#25 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostDragonsblood, on 08 December 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

So, I'm new to the game and have enjoyed myself so far. Took me several days to really understand things and by that time I wasted all my cbills on a hunchback 4SP. I enjoy it but in almost all gaming, I play the guy running into the mess and brawl and the 4SP just isn't a badass tank.

Anyhow, I passed up my cadet bonus and sadly signed up for premium well after my 25 match. Since I'm looking at an assault type mech which is going to cost me 13-17 mil cbills should I just buy the one I want with MC? Or should I continue to grind up the Cbills to learn more about the game? I feel pretty competent but at the same time, my mech doesn't fit my playstyle. I'm looking more at the highlander 732 which would be cheap but a good buy imo (and from what I read) for how I like to play.

Thoughts?

I do have enough mc to buy it; sadly only 3mil Cbills... Also, I can't say I'm tearing up the matches either probably averaging 100k per so it's a long way to 15 mil cbills...

I appreciate any advice from some vets.

If you really think the HGN-732 fits your play style I strongly urge you to try the HGN-733C (C). By try I mean seriously sit down and play many matches with it, enough to build up 14,250 XP. If you really do like the HGN play style once you buy an HGN-733C you can immediately skill up all Basics in it by going this route.

If you decide you really enjoy it you can then buy, with , the Heavy Metal Hero Mech and one other HGN like the 732, with . You now have the 3 required to complete Elite and during the play for building up the XP on them you'll likely have enough to buy the 732.

#26 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

To go back to the original post.
Regarding the Hunchback, it's not a bad mech. It can't take a lot of damage since it's only 50 tons, but if you torso-twist, you can spread that damage around. It's best if you stay behind the lines and try to find enemies that are also mediums that are attacking other targets. As soon as you become focused, you're dead. Find weapons that you like using (you are limited to energy and missile in that mech however). I'd recommend 4 med laser, 2 streaks and install BAP to counter ECM up close. If you were to stay with hunchbacks, i'd recommend that you upgrade the engine as well.

#27 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

And also back to the OP - how do you have your Hunch set up? I've seen plenty of people brawling in them, and doing fairly well. Maybe it's just a load out issue.

#28 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

I enjoy it but in almost all gaming, I play the guy running into the mess and brawl and the 4SP just isn't a badass tank.

Welcome to the game, Dragonsblood. Glad you are enjoying it, but as others have said, your approach of "running into the mess and brawl" isn't a good one. The higher than tonnage of a mech, the slower it runs. While you may have more armor and weapons, you'll have much less speed to use for getting out of a tricky situation. Not to mention you'll be focus-fired on more quickly.

So if I were you I'd do the following. First I'd focus on supporting the big guys on my team and not run to the middle of the fray. Pay attention to move lateral to them and not get ahead of them. Give yourself a fixed amount of time, let's say 7 seconds, and say, "OK, no matter what I'll disengage after 7 seconds is up," and then get out of the melee so that you can cool off and re-assess the situation.

Second I'd continue on Hunchies until I get I finish Elite Skills on your favored variant(s). Mechs really come to life after you "Elite them out."

Hunchies -- and mediums in general -- are good learning vehicles because they have good speed and survivability. But you have to have the mind to pick your fights and know when to disengage. Since you're new to the game, a good way to learn and survive is to simply follow the big mechs on your team, and to discipline yourself to assess the situation periodically.

Then, and only then, will I "ton up" and move to heavies.

#29 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

So, I'm new to the game and have enjoyed myself so far. Took me several days to really understand things and by that time I wasted all my cbills on a hunchback 4SP. I enjoy it but in almost all gaming, I play the guy running into the mess and brawl and the 4SP just isn't a badass tank.

Anyhow, I passed up my cadet bonus and sadly signed up for premium well after my 25 match. Since I'm looking at an assault type mech which is going to cost me 13-17 mil cbills should I just buy the one I want with MC? Or should I continue to grind up the Cbills to learn more about the game? I feel pretty competent but at the same time, my mech doesn't fit my playstyle. I'm looking more at the highlander 732 which would be cheap but a good buy imo (and from what I read) for how I like to play.

Thoughts?

I do have enough mc to buy it; sadly only 3mil Cbills... Also, I can't say I'm tearing up the matches either probably averaging 100k per so it's a long way to 15 mil cbills...

I appreciate any advice from some vets.

I would also prefer to buy a hero mech before premium if I had to choose because a hero mech would come more or less upgraded (tho some are still in a pretty sad state for their default configurations) and the 30% C-bill bonus will remain long after a month of premium time has passed. The only problem when you are new is that you might pick the wrong hero to buy. You just have to ask and try out the trials and be familiar with mech configurations so that you can see if you can stand to play a hero over a long period of time. I've spent a lot of MC on the game so I have a lot of +30% C-bill mechs to choose from so it's not that much of an issue for me though. It's a much harder decision if you're just going to get one.

I can't recommend buying normal mechs but some Champion mechs are great for starters, but if C-bills are a concern then a hero is often better.

And I love my 4SP Hunchie.

#30 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hunchbacks are way inferior to Centurions that are inferior to Shadow Hawks, so keep that in mind when you read the pro-Hunchback posts here.

#31 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Just so you're warned, there really are no "tanks" in this game. Pretty much any mech can be focus fired down in seconds.

#32 I C Wiener

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 09 December 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

you will need to buy a Hero then two more regular variants to complete the skill tree.

Or 3 regular variants and no Hero just to clarify.

#33 DyDrimer

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationRight here.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

Stick to Meds for a while, once you put on your highlander you will notice you become very popular every one likes to core you out. Run the hunches to elite, try shadows so you get a feel for jump jets. You wont be such a target in those mechs and will get more play time. Also hook-up with others in Marik group, always alot around to run 4 mans they even hit 12 v 12. Happy hunting.

#34 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostLauLiao, on 09 December 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

Just so you're warned, there really are no "tanks" in this game. Pretty much any mech can be focus fired down in seconds.

While there's focus fire, there certainly are tanks in this game; "zombies" like the Cent 9A really fill that role. It's just that you can't go in solo and that right now, some range firepower is preferable.

#35 Dragonsblood

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

I appreciate all the advice and have chosen to stick with the hunchie, I just finished the 4J basic and working on saving up the cbill for the last variant to unlock elite. I'm starting to understand it better and will continue to finish the elite skills up.

BTW what is the best pilot skill to go for first?

#36 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Never buy a plain old mech. Buy a Hero if you're going to buy a mech. Otherwise, just grind up the cbills.

Nothing wrong with the Hunchies, and the 4SP is a good mech.

#37 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

For the Basic skills, I think that Hard Turn is the most important - maneuverability is king. Some may argue that the two heat related ones are most important, but heat is something that can be managed through your load out.

For the Elite skills, I think it's Speed Tweak. Although I tend to be a light/medium pilot, so fast is important.

#38 Dexter Herbivore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 241 posts
  • LocationPerth WA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

Pilot tree starters? Generally the ones that alter heat. Stay firing longer, and do more damage. Then you generally want to move onto the movement skills to increase manoeuvrability and survivability. After that, Twist X etc. Once you're on the elite level, speed tweak, then fast fire, then quick ignition, then (the utterly useless) pinpoint.

#39 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostDragonsblood, on 11 December 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

BTW what is the best pilot skill to go for first?

All of the basics are good, you can get them in any order and do well. I usually get the heat stuff first, then the maneuverability ones.

The only thing that is a must buy first as soon as you can is speed tweak when you get to the elite skills. It is the most important one you can get.

The second most important thing is finishing the elite skills so you get the 2x basics.

Edited by Roughneck45, 11 December 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#40 Dragonsblood

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

I'll be more specific; pilot modules.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users