33 replies to this topic

#1 Grickshaft

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

has anyone used this yet? i think 10% is terrible and would not waste a module slot on this. Now if it was 25% i think it would get a lot more attention and make it worthwhile

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

Yeah this module needs to do more.

Personally I think water needs to slow down mechs significantly like it does in tabletop. And then equipping this module would not only reduce your hillclimbing deceleration but also reduce your water deceleration.

#3 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Bought it for my Heavy Metal and found it pretty useless. Asking for refund.

#4 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

They should rename it a mobility module and have it downgrade your movement class by one step. Mechs in the Tiny class (or whatever it is) would gain reduced fall damage (maybe double the fall distance before the legs take damage).

#5 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

I use it on the Cataphracts for great effect.

Well, really the fact im stacking it on a mech that already hill climbs stupidly well compared to every other heavy and assault (I think the Cataphract was categorized for some reason under the middle weight class, not heavy or super heavy) is probably why it works so well on this chassis.

#6 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

It could use some tweaking, I haven't tried it yet, but my understanding is that you lose less speed going over rough / bumpy terrain if you equip Hill Climb.

There was some explaination in this thread, starting with this post: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2936199

#7 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

I used it on a Battlemaster and it helps *sometimes,* but the problem is that the situations where it does help are extremely few and far between. Don't waste your time.

#8 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:41 AM

Complete garbage, costs 3x more GXP than it should and it does practically nothing, oh and it costs 6m c-bills.

#9 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:24 AM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 09 December 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

They should rename it a mobility module and have it downgrade your movement class by one step. Mechs in the Tiny class (or whatever it is) would gain reduced fall damage (maybe double the fall distance before the legs take damage).

Yep. That would make it more useful for light mechs than heavy mechs, whereas now it evens out one of the few advantages lighter mechs have over heavier mechs.

But then again, heavier mechs are apparently supposed to be end games, and so are modules. So I'm looking forward to more modules like this one. I expect "speed module" and "smaller mech" module in the future.

#10 LORD TSARKON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 776 posts
  • LocationButtmunch City

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

Not wasting my GXP , C-Bills, or precious Module slot on a craptastic and basically worthless 10 percent hill climb...

I would rather use the other useless module " Improved Gyros" before the Hill Climb module.... at least it sort of prevents screen shake from all the dakka dakka out there.. (even though I think that module is a waste as well)

#11 Nryrony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:31 AM

This module is as useful as an command console - yet I actually had hopes for it.

#12 Funkadelic Mayhem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:00 AM

In other words....

"QQ I want to pilot Assaults and heavies and want to go as fast and be able to move around and up like lights but do assault damage QQ!!!!"

LOL

#13 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:12 AM

View PostFunkadelic Mayhem, on 10 December 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

In other words....

"QQ I want to pilot Assaults and heavies and want to go as fast and be able to move around and up like lights but do assault damage QQ!!!!"

LOL

No. They are saying the module is worthless...no one complained that hill climb for assaults should be same as for lights. Just that hill climb is rarely something that needs to be changed by 10% and you can better use that module slot for coolshot or arty strike or air strike.

Edited by Chemie, 10 December 2013 - 04:13 AM.

#14 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:54 AM

View PostNryrony, on 10 December 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

This module is as useful as an command console - yet I actually had hopes for it.

I just hope the Command Console gets useful before the Hill Climb Module does. :)

#15 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

right now the only mech than can equip the command module is the ECM capable Atlas D-DC. Not sure giving him another bonus is needed right now.....

#16 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostChemie, on 10 December 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

right now the only mech than can equip the command module is the ECM capable Atlas D-DC. Not sure giving him another bonus is needed right now.....

Wait what?

I'm quite sure any mech can equip the command console...

*launches MWO to check that*

Yeah, so I have no idea what you're talking about, any mech can physically equip a command console.

Unless you mean "Command Module" in which case, wtf is that?

Edited by mwhighlander, 10 December 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#17 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostFupDup, on 09 December 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

I used it on a Battlemaster and it helps *sometimes,* but the problem is that the situations where it does help are extremely few and far between. Don't waste your time.

Is the 10% slower slowdown actually even enough of a difference to be perceptible by human senses?

#18 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

OK. I am wrong...back in close beta on the D-DC could equip it. (In fact, you had to remove it or carry around a couple of tons of dead weight)

#19 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

The way this module is designed, it works best when running on uneven terrain or when a hill is exactly 10% further than you could get without the module. The higher/more you climb, the less you actually get the benefit because you generally slow down over about 1 second, which is barely enough time to climb a hill.

I like the concept, but it would have made a better pilot elite skill as implemented.

View PostChemie, on 10 December 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

OK. I am wrong...back in close beta on the D-DC could equip it. (In fact, you had to remove it or carry around a couple of tons of dead weight)

The DDC is the only mech that comes with it, but any mech can mount it.

#20 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 10 December 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

Is the 10% slower slowdown actually even enough of a difference to be perceptible by human senses?

I'm not even sure. It's just so dang tiny that it might just be a placebo effect.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users