• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hi guys,

I wanted to say thank you very much and wish you all and your families a huge happy holidays and merry christmas!

I am about to leave for work and unfortunately will not be able to check out the release of the saber package next week and therefore will not be able to update the tier list until most likely the new year.

Looking back at 1 year of mechwarrior online, I've had the pleasure to play with great guys from HeadHunters of Davion to the KaoS Legion. A magnificent run through TheMagician's RunHotOrDie Tournament help make MWO the game for me. During this time, the opportunity to share my experiences in competitive play and the game in general was made possible by the encouragement of friends and community members like you.

The world of Battletech and Mechwarrior Online is vast and daunting. I hope that this list will help ease the transition for many players into the game and help experienced players fine-tune their mechs, find parity in competitive MWO or help teach the game to others.

It has been your encouragement and support that has motivated me to make this list and keep it going, and with your feedback, this list evolves and improves. In essence, this list is your list - the community's list.

So thank you and a warm Merry Christmas to you all.

-Mav

#22 giganova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 200 posts
  • Location3rd prime celestial body of the Sol star system

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

A warning/recommendation to new players: This list is very misleading and inappropriate for new players. I suggest sticking to 80Bit's list.

#23 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

View Postgiganova, on 16 December 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

A warning/recommendation to new players: This list is very misleading and inappropriate for new players. I suggest sticking to 80Bit's list.

How is this misleading and how is this inappropriate? It clearly states in the first post that it is focused on competitive mechs. I wish I had read this list when I was just starting out in MWO, it will have saved me a lot of grief.

#24 giganova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 200 posts
  • Location3rd prime celestial body of the Sol star system

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

If it's meant for competitive play, why is it in the New Players section? OP already had a thread: http://mwomercs.com/...mech-tier-list/ which was moved out of the New Players section months ago (not to mention the other 4 or so lists such as this with slightly outdated- although much more comprehensive information). Me thinks the OP is just farming post likes and twitch subscribers at this point.

Oh, and what was it that MavRCK called that one dude who was disagreeing with him? It was on one of those twitch or youtube vids he had... Ah yes, he gave him the "****-sucker of the week award" I think it was...? Real classy.

Edited by giganova, 16 December 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#25 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

View Postgiganova, on 16 December 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

80bit's list is very outdated. While some stuff still applies, I say this and Victor's guide nailed a lot of points, though I disagree with quite a lot of stuff.

#26 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

View Postgiganova, on 16 December 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

If it's meant for competitive play, why is it in the New Players section? OP already had a thread: http://mwomercs.com/...mech-tier-list/ which was moved out of the New Players section months ago (not to mention the other 4 or so lists such as this with slightly outdated- although much more comprehensive information). Me thinks the OP is just farming post likes and twitch subscribers at this point.

Oh, and what was it that MavRCK called that one dude who was disagreeing with him? It was on one of those twitch or youtube vids he had... Ah yes, he gave him the "****-sucker of the week award" I think it was...? Real classy.

Folks are welcome to their own opinions There's plenty useful in that list for new players, even if opinions may ultimately vary.

Apparently the mods said it belongs here now, so here it is..

#27 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

this is still the best list out there and a vast resource for mwo related links.

he does have a pug play section so its all good.

the reason i think this list is important to beginners (aside from the general info it provides) is that it gives players, new and old, a list of mechs they can try out that are competition ready. because of this, the playstyle they learn pugging with these optimized/metabuild mechs will more easily adapt to competitive or high elo pugging play. because, from what ive seen, 'metabuilds' are good for both pugging and competition, while solo cue builds may not be as good for competitive play.

#28 qki

• 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hey, I remember the first iteration of this list (and butting heads with you over it ;) ). This is some really good work, and a lot of transparency. Kudos.

#29 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

I like to think I drop in some high level play. That said, I feel the best lrm boat is the Highlander 733P:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6c7b8965eed1a28
Not sure if its my current but what I have saved.

Now, why I feel its the best! First, has jump jets! Second, brings lrms like this (chain fire or overheat) a salvo 40 + 15. Then, if challenged can defend with 3 med lasers. Oh ya has tag to help if target is in range. In my opinion its the best lrm boat! I'm sure there are lot of ppl who disagree. However, when sending that many missiles out most doesn't mean better.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 18 December 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#30 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 18 December 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

I like to think I drop in some high level play. That said, I feel the best lrm boat is the Highlander 733P:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6c7b8965eed1a28
Not sure if its my current but what I have saved.

Now, why I feel its the best! First, has jump jets! Second, brings lrms like this (chain fire or overheat) a salvo 40 + 15. Then, if challenged can defend with 3 med lasers. Oh ya has tag to help if target is in range. In my opinion its the best lrm boat! I'm sure there are lot of ppl who disagree. However, when sending that many missiles out most doesn't mean better.

That's a pretty good build there..

If you run an XL engine, and reduce the LRM20s to 15s, you could find some space for ERLL or LL which would improve your hitting power at range...

The JJ's very very useful aka the old catapult which could JJ up in the air and rain down LRMs. There was this guy MechG from HHoD who was the best LRM boat I've ever seen and would just wreck people and out run people too!

#31 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

Is the Cent-D dead as a fast medium?
It used to be big and now it's tier 3?
(I totally see why it's not T1 anymore, but has the shadowhawk really completely replaced it?)

Otherwise I don't really have the high level play experience to comment except:

Light mechs: they are all running artillery strikes now it seems in competitive.
Shouldn't artillery strike be the #1 module as any kind of light scout? They are the best able to drop 'em effectively.

#32 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostDanNashe, on 20 December 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

(I totally see why it's not T1 anymore, but has the shadowhawk really completely replaced it?)

It has; but I'd still call it Tier 2. It'll do perfectly well in a pug, but it's no match for Shadow Hawks in a serious game (and will still have a disavantage in a pug even). Cent 9D is the best of the lot right now.

The Shadow Hawk is just too well designed and is the best 'mech, IMO, on a ton-per-ton basis. i.e. a Highlander still out classes it, but for it's weight, there are no rivals right now.

#33 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostDanNashe, on 20 December 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

Otherwise I don't really have the high level play experience to comment except:

Light mechs: they are all running artillery strikes now it seems in competitive.
Shouldn't artillery strike be the #1 module as any kind of light scout? They are the best able to drop 'em effectively.

I'll defer to Victor's well-spoken and excellent explanations. His review of this week's tier list is spot on and it looks like I have some updating to do. :) (Thanks Victor!)

Lights: Art or Air Strike, Coolshot plus UAV. Module warfare... I have suggested to IGP / PGI that they allow lights to have 5-6 modules... give them a niche role... light pilots deserve consumables and tweaks to make up for a very fragile mech.

Hey!!! Guess what!? Since May 2013, we've had almost 50,000 views - the old thread and this thread making us one of the most popular, if not, the most popular non-dev thread!

Thank you everyone.

And I'm happy to hear that this list and the videos are useful to you guys -- the likes and notes and comments in-game of appreciation make my day! ;)

Posted Image

#34 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

I had some time to look at the Griffin and Wolverine on smurfy. My impression is as I commented previously in my videos that these mechs are solid but their hardpoints make it unexceptionally different or better than currently existing medium mechs. The shadowhawk, as Victor mentions above, is just better designed.

Now, I've been wrong before such as when I commented on the .... shadowhawk! :) so perhaps some inspired mechwarrior will come up with a build that surprises me.

For now, I see the Saber package as possible alternative to the CN-A brawler with medium lasers and SRMs plus jumpjets. The Griffin 1N is asymmetrically laid-out (see old videos why this can be a good thing!) and the Wolverine has two variants where you can zombie with 1 head medium laser. The other variants of the Griffin allow for a layout similar to the Quickdraw 2PPC and 2-3 medium laser which is a solid build - not surprising as they are so similar in weight.

My least favourite variant is the Wolverine 6R due to the ballistic and missile hardpoints being ammunition dependent... In the medium and lighter mechs, ammunition-dependent weapons are a heavy burden -- pun intended... ;)

(Just got internet and it's pretty awesome!)

#35 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

View Postqki, on 18 December 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Hey, I remember the first iteration of this list (and butting heads with you over it :ph34r: ). This is some really good work, and a lot of transparency. Kudos.

Thanks qki :unsure:

#36 Horus XIII

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

I've been toying with different ideas for my first owned mech, and wondered if the S Hawk with a large laser, AC5, AC2, plenty of ammo, armor, hops & cooling would be a solid 300-500 meter striker/harraser, etc.?

On paper it looks devastating on otherwise engaged opponents.

Thanks!

For example, and please go gently, newer pilot here, lol!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a1ef137feb9bac1

#37 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostOld Witch of Khador, on 25 December 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

I've been toying with different ideas for my first owned mech, and wondered if the S Hawk with a large laser, AC5, AC2, plenty of ammo, armor, hops & cooling would be a solid 300-500 meter striker/harraser, etc.?

On paper it looks devastating on otherwise engaged opponents.

Thanks!

For example, and please go gently, newer pilot here, lol!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a1ef137feb9bac1

Jman5 has kindly posted his builds which are what most top-level competitive players use. Feel free to abuse and use his as a starting guide.

I took a look at your build and I wanted to share some principles with you. As you smartly point out, you want to focus on a solid engagement between 300-500 meters. That's important to know at what distance you want your weapons to be most effective at. A master of something is better than a jack of all trades in MWO.

When considering 300-500 you have several build options...

Medium Laser and AC20 would work... an alpha of 25... or even AC10 ML...

So would PPC - AC5.

The nice thing about the PPC - AC5 is that you get a higher recycle rate of the AC5. In fact, on the shadowhawk variant you listed, you can run 2 AC5s so your alpha would be 20 with a quick 10 point alpha right after... This is what I run.

When I'm comfortable with the heat, I'll run an ERPPC... when I am comfortable hitting light mechs in the face with the torso AC5s, I run a PPC. These are the fun Mechwarrior customizations that define your playstyle.

I talk about the Shadowhawk in prior videos (check the twitch or youtube channel) about 2-3 months back! Just an awesome mech.

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dbe9f8cd0e7051c[/smurfy]

#38 SnowdogJJJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationNorth East PA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

Get list for new players.. at least they are not starting with a mech that is sub par, like I did.
I just got my grand daughter (4 yrs) the shadow hawk to start with.

Thanks again Mavrck for updating this.

#39 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostSnowdogJJJ, on 28 December 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Get list for new players.. at least they are not starting with a mech that is sub par, like I did.
I just got my grand daughter (4 yrs) the shadow hawk to start with.

Thanks again Mavrck for updating this.

Nice choice in the end. :D It maybe a little bit tough to use all the weapon groups, so you may need to take a look at configurations.

#40 SnowdogJJJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationNorth East PA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

View Postluxebo, on 28 December 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Nice choice in the end. :D It maybe a little bit tough to use all the weapon groups, so you may need to take a look at configurations.

I meant to type "GREAT LIST". Damned auto correct :o

MavRCK runs with 2 ac5's and an erPPC so 2 weapons groups should work for most noobs that come to my house to play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users