- - - - -

Clan Technology - A Design Perspective - Feedback

1978 replies to this topic

#21 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

This is the core of the Mech, with all the modular bits stripped out, and what remains cannot be customized at all. These include:

The amount and distribution of armor

those mechs arent going to last long

Edited by mark v92, 14 December 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#22 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostDocBach, on 14 December 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

No word on how pilot skills are going to work for OmniMechs?

There was a tweet about a CC Post regarding Modules / Pilot Tree revamp coming next week.

#23 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

SQUAD MORALE RESTORED!!!!

this is exactly what i wanted, so im pretty happy.

now we play the waiting game. (more MWO)

#24 Zureal

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

to be honest I actualy am perfectly fine with the way they are impleminting this

OmniTech... well what can i say? They are sticking pretty damn %100 close to how the TT game works and i have no complaints about this. The only thing I think should be adjusted in this is that we should have the ability to move around FF and EndoSteel crits as they do now for standard mechs.

Clan equipment... well the way they are discribing it is so far so good except for the LRM. As long as they keep the tonnage/crit space/ damage the same then overall i am ok, even though i do not like how they are increasing the heatscale for clan tech i can live with it if they only make it higher by 1 heat for things.

Quirks,.... if they add it for omnitech they should introduce it to all mechs as they are in the technical readouts. but so far its looking ok and i have no major complaints about how they are discribed and if implimented as discribed. Other than, again, the LRM tonnage question.

#25 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

Reserving judgement, but looks good on paper.

#26 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Postmark v92, on 14 December 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

This is the core of the Mech, with all the modular bits stripped out, and what remains cannot be customized at all. These include:

The amount and distribution of armor

those mechs arent going to last long

Many of the most iconic Clan 'Mechs from TRO3050 I would characterize as having the largest engines possible and the most armor possible for their weight (under the TT rules of the time). The Timber Wolf is a prime example.

#27 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Weapon balancing for Clan Tech is laughable honestly with what is slated to happen. How you're handling Omni isn't horrible but we'll see how that pans out.

Overall though, haven't seriously played in over a year and haven't logged in in months and pretty much probably won't if things keep going this way. No real faith.

[Image removed as it has already been invoked]

That last spot should be "Changes to absurd Hero mech and Clan Packages prices"

Edited by Niko Snow, 14 December 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#28 GreatBeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostNehkrosis, on 14 December 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

SQUAD MORALE RESTORED!!!!

this is exactly what i wanted, so im pretty happy.

now we play the waiting game. (more MWO)

"Im sick of PGI making promises on future features and never actually delivering!"
"Heres a future feature we want to implement but havent actually started on yet."
"FAITH RESTORED!"

#29 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

There are mechanics already in MWO that help us normalizethe impact of this weapon without drastically changing the flavor and uniqueness of the Clan version.

Well we all remember how that turned out, don't we...

Also, there's quirk system? You mean the one that players have been asking you to use to balance less powerful variants for months now? That exists?

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 14 December 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#30 Lima Zulu

Russian Community Champion

• 1,971 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

- The engine type and rating
- The number and placement of a minimum number of heatsinks
- The amount and distribution of armor
- The armor type and the location of any critical slots occupied by Ferro-Fibrous
- The internal structure type and the location of any critical slots occupied by Endo Steel
- Enhancements such as MASC
The occasional weapon or other piece of equipment (e.g. jump jets) that is included as part of the base configuration

Looks great from lore proximity point.
Looks ridiculous with standart battlmechs with more customization options.
If only the next step will be to restrict standart mech customization to field refit options.

#31 Dth2Vwls

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 13 posts

Thank you for the insight into the implementation of Clan tech. Overall I think it sounds good, but how are you going to handle Ultra Autocannons? If the UAC/20 is similar to the current version of the UAC5, I could easily see it dominating the meta. Have you guys considered changing the UAC's basic mechanics, such as replacing the jam mechanic with a stream of shells (similar to the laser mechanic)?

#32 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 14 December 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

Well we all remember how that turned out, don't we...

Yes, LPL has been in a black hole every since that day.

#33 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

It is going to give us a nice bit of variety for customization and originality.
...to a point.

Although i wonder if the lack of armour or engine customization will actually severely hamper it...hmm...

Also, a thought, dosnt FF not work?

i wouldnt be chuffed if it was just on loads of the Clan mechs and was worthless.

#34 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Ya know? I can live with this.

Not off the hook for no CW or the structure of the clan collection. This is a step in the right direction.

#35 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

So.. no engine swapping, no customization besides the pods, no armor shifting, weapon balance still based upon ghost heat instead of rethinking the hardpoints restricting them.

I'll wait for more details on balance in the following.. months I guess.

I'll wait for a while more, but this game is RIP untl is driven by you guys.

The art is awesome, the mechs feel like mechs (yet unable to walk over ankle-tall rocks because of movement archetypes), but there are too many issues that belong to the roots of your wrong choices you did for balance, hardpoints, heat, gameplay, and what I read here is nothing different from what I've been experiencing until now. Which is deeply bad.

Tick tock, the time is running out..

#36 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

I am pleased with this information and the balancing seems fair and in line with some player suggestions I have seen around the forums.

It's the way the packages are being sold that bugs me out. As PGI is in debt with its players for not delivering a full game, these kind of "forcing mechs you don't want" isn't a nice policy and will always be looked as unfair.

#37 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

View PostDocBach, on 14 December 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Also, what are the Warhorns, and what are their effect in the game?

My guess is something similar to the Heavy Metal kill music.

#38 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Ow. First few posts and we're already into scorched earth.

I do appreciate the approach to balancing clan tech. It's actually got some great ideas to recommend it. Combine that with relative tonnage restrictions and it might work.

Here are the concerns I have.

1. Based on the current model it will be December of 2014 before a cbill variant of the Timber Wolf, for example, is available. So you are essentially saying that if anyone wants to play anything other than a clan light, maybe a medium, we have to either pay a couple hundred dollars or wait a year. While this isn't 'pay to win' it's pretty much 'pay to play'. This isn't about playing a particular chassis but access to one whole faction in the game.

2. Without a fix to the meta (AC/PPC or stay in the kiddie pool) the clans are not going to be the significant change to the game they should be. There have been recommendations (give PPC/AC and 0.3 to 0.5 second DOT effect, enough to limit the pinpoint effect of poptarting while still making them accurate. Remove gauss charge-up, leave it pinpoint. That's my favorite anyway) but the meta itself is pretty stale at the higher competitive end where Clans *should* be significant.

3. UI 2.0, CW, fixes for SRMs, hit detection, it's a long list. To release clans in a high priced system and gold mechs (there is no worse way to have done this BTW. For future reference. Maybe if you'd made them 'Khan mechs' with clan-specific paint you'd have done far better. As it is you're asking people to pay $500 for a mech that will likely get them TKed) while all that's missing really pours salt on those wounds.

4. The Phoenix Mechs were a poke in the eye. 1 mech in the bundle was good. The Shadowhawk. 60 degree turn on the 1G? Really? I get where you didn't want it to seem P2W but.... really? Hardpoints are bad (for the current meta anyway) and as a given rule everything but the Shadowhawk was DOA. Many of us feel like we spent $80 for a Shadowhawk and some the next generation of Dragons and Awesomes. Can you give us a good reason to trust you that the Clan Mechs won't end up being trash, save maybe one medium? Does giving you $240 mean I get two mechs that are decent instead of one? Not trying to sound bitter here but I'm sincerely asking, on what basis should we put the trust to give you 4x as much money when the last offer literally delivered only 1/4th the goods as decent quality and 3/4ths as muck.

#39 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

hey, what are you angry you cant be constantly angry?
like, they initally pissed me off because they were asking us to dump alot of cash on what was just blind faith.
now we know how they'll work, i will buy them.

that ok with you?

@GreatBeer

Edited by Nehkrosis, 14 December 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#40 Not a Number

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Instead of increasing the heat of clan LRM20's by 1 and their tonnage by 2, it would seem more desirable to keep the tonnage the same and increase heat further (making heatsinks more desirable, which also costs tonnage). Of course there's plenty other things to play with too, like reload time.

I realise the numbers are essentially just for demonstration purposes right now, but you haven't deviated from TT crit/tonnage slots so far and I'd ask you to rethink whether you really have to do so now.

Edit:
You could also alter the firing pattern of clan LRM's like you discussed doing with SSRM's.

Two more things:

1. I really like the idea of dynamic quirks. They might have applications elsewhere too. It would be very helpful if quirks in general were clearly visible in the UI, for example next to the base stats, and if positive and negative quirks were properly highlighted. Maybe something you can do with UI 2.0?

2. Maybe you could allow players to also change their omnimech CT configuration similar to how the upgrades (DHS, Artemis etc.) work now. This could of course be quite expensive but it would be a nice option to have.

Edited by Not a Number, 16 December 2013 - 12:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users