Clan Technology - A Design Perspective - Feedback

1978 replies to this topic

#41 Death Toll007

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

I have played this game as a founder since closed beta. I will quit if you execute as briefed. I have no interest in spending my money to buy the clan mechs as you have briefed. I have already spent $335 on this game, if this is where it is going... I'm out.

You are about to ruin mechwarrior for another decade, the only good news is, once you go under and have to sell the rights, someone else will get them super cheap and will have a chance to do it right.

LISTEN TO YOUR F***ING PEOPLE/CUSTOMERS!!!!

Edited by Death Toll007, 14 December 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#42 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Quoting Paul's post.

It is due to lack of this rule set, and the fact that forcing players into a fixed way of doing battle would just not be fun, is how Clan Tech really becomes a balance issue. Past MechWarrior titles were primarily single player experiences so over powered Clan Technology was not really an issue. The other titles that had multiplayer components became arms races to get Clan Tech and once achieved, nothing changed from that point on. Inner Sphere technology became obsolete at that point if a player wanted to be competitive in a match. This is something that we do not want to happen in MechWarrior Online. We are aiming to make sure that all types of gameplay are available while keeping all current BattleMechs viable on the battlefield.

I want to ensure you that we will still allow the Clans to have their unique flavor without any type of knee-jerk, heavy handed nerfing. We (the design team) feel that laying out the design approach as we look at the incoming technology would help alleviate some of the concerns you may have while at the same time stir up some constructive discussions around Clans and how they can be a fun and functionally addition to MWO.

Except, the ones that you know, weren't.

Most of us played MW4, you know, where Clan tech was VERY much an issue and was heavily focused on multiplayer, even having MULTIPLAYER ONLY expansions.

Living Legends also addressed the Clan vs IS issue with battle value instead of tonnage as a limiting factor, with IS teams running heavier but with less quality gear. You are wrong out of the gate.

Again, this is untrue. The other games have dealt with this as well and IS units were made to be viable through either later day technology in some games, and making IS stuff "cheaper" to field. The fact is if you give Clan and IS tech to the same person, Clan tech is better in EVERY case because you don't understand WHY it is better beyond the surface, Paul.

You can't figure out how to fix the flamer or narc and as I'm about to show, you don't fully understand what makes Clan tech far, far better in the first place. Also "heavy handed, knee jerk" nerfing is the M.O. of PGI. Hello, Ghost Heat.

Let me make a sincere attempt to educate you. Let's do this.

Clan Tech – Design Approach
Clan Technology in the BT universe has always been an over-powered set of weapons and BattleMech builds. This encourages an arms race to get to Clan Tech equipment and makes Inner Sphere Tech rather obsolete. This is something we do not want to see in MechWarrior Online and we have decided to take some heavy hitting steps to make sure that this arms race does not come to fruition.

You could, I don't know.. make Clans and IS separate profiles and give the IS a weight advantage in match ups? Or would that be too reasonable for you guys?

Balancing – Raw Numbers
The key elements that make Clan Tech overpowered include size reductions, tonnage reductions, range increases and damage increases over similar Inner Sphere weapons. The best way to discuss this is to look at some examples.

e.g. 1 – ER Large Laser
Inner Sphere Tech:
Heat: 12
Damage: 8
Range: 570m
Tons: 5
Crit(Slots): 2

Clan Tech:
Heat: 12
Damage: 10
Range: 750m
Tons: 4
Crit(Slots): 1

It is very easy to see how the Clan version of the ER Large Laser is significantly more advantageous than the Inner Sphere equivalent. The Clan ER Large Laser does 2 more damage, has 180m more range, weighs 1 ton less and takes up half the amount of space while maintaining the same amount of heat generation.

There are mechanics already in MWO that help us normalize the impact of this weapon without drastically changing the flavor and uniqueness of the Clan version.

OK, so far we're dealing with fact. Let's see where this goes off the rails.

As an example, what would will probably be applied to this weapon is the following:
  • Reduce the max range but still give it a slight edge over IS tech. Change from 750m to 660m for a 90m increase over IS tech.
  • Increase the beam duration of the laser to spread damage over more time.
  • Make the Heat Scale slightly higher than the IS version.
What the above changes allows to happen is that the Clan ER Large Laser still gets a reach buff, still gets to have higher damage, still gets the tonnage and space reduction but requires the player to hold targets longer and it will generate much more heat when Alpha’d. i.e. The weapon still keeps its Clan properties/feel but requires better skill and heat management to operate.

... and we're off! The space & weight reduction is dramatic enough with the Clan technology, if you plan to adhere to TROs yet, you are already talking MASSIVELY overpowered.

I don't care how much you nerf the individual missiles, 5 ton LRM/20s are going to blow your plan sky high.

The beam duration increase is the only smart thing here. MORE HEAT SCALING is not what's needed. Do you know why it's not more needed, Paul?

Your most expensive 'mech is a Masakari. It is known for 4 ER PPCs. Then you punish people for using more than 2. This system has hit Peak Terribleness and we don't need more of it.

We will be applying this same design philosophy across all Clan weaponry and equipment as it makes its way into the game.

More heat scaling (i.e. Ghost Heat that has NO USER INTERFACE ANYWHERE IN THE GAME) is not the answer to balance the Clans, period. You CAN'T balance them if you throw them into a blender with the IS 'mechs and you damn well know that. Everything is too light, too small, any actual damage/range upgrades are just gravy.

Balancing – Weapon System Upgrades
Things start to get a little trickier when dealing with weapon systems that are outright increased in their standard operation. For this example, let’s look at the Streak SRM/6. Yes, we all knew they were coming, and yes, the potential is deadly but let’s take a step back and see what can happen with current mechanics.

e.g. 2 – Streak SRMs
Inner Sphere Tech:
  • Always hit as long as the target is locked.
  • Fires 2 missiles dealing 2.5 damage each (total of 5 damage)
Clan Tech:
  • Always hit as long as the target is locked.
  • Fires 2, 4 or 6 missiles dealing 2.5 damage each (total of 5, 10, 15 damage respectively)
As you can see, this is a much bigger conundrum than changing some numbers like the previous section. This is where we may step out of the comfort zone that some players might not like to make sure we don’t bring in heavily overpowered missile launchers.

The following will probably be applied to this weapon:
  • Allow only 2 projectiles to leave the launcher at any given time. SSRM-4 will fire 2 volleys of 2 missiles. SRM-6 will fire 3 volleys of 2 missiles. This will stagger the incoming missiles allowing AMS to take down more if the targeted Mech has AMS.
  • Increase the cooldown period of refire on the larger launchers and allow the above staggered shots to happen during this time.
So again, the flavor/feel of the weapon is still there, it’s just going to require better trigger timing and the hope that AMS will not deter your volleys too much assuming that the enemy has AMS to begin with. An additional side effect is that people will be more inclined to carry AMS on their BattleMechs and at the same time, these bigger launchers will need more ammunition to counter the AMS effect.

We do not need more artificial gun limitations Paul. The second solution of making Streak 4s and 6s have higher recycles is entirely reasonable, but trying to say "You can take all these guns but you can't use them" has to stop.

Balancing – New Mechanics
Along with the above 2 sections, another cause for concern is a change in basic mechanics of a given weapon system. In this case we can discuss Clan LRMs.

e.g. 3 – LRM-20s
Inner Sphere Tech:
Heat: 6
Damage: 1.1 /missile
Min Range: 180m
Max Range: 1000m
Tons: 10
Crit(Slots): 5

Clan Tech:
Heat: 6
Damage: 1.1 /missile
Min Range: 0m
Max Range: 1000m
Tons: 5
Crit(Slots): 4

The fact that the Clan version of LRM-20s have no minimum range is a huge problem. What you effectively now have is a Streak SRM-20 available to you if we cut minimum range to 0. The fact that this weapon weighs half as much and takes up 1 less slot makes this a significantly over powered system.
The following will probably be applied to this weapon system:
  • Base heat increase to [7]
  • Minimum range stays at 180m but LRMs can be fired. The damage ramps from 0 to 1.1 in an exponential curve. i.e. Damage is minimal in the [0]-[100]m range and increases to full damage between [101] and [180]m ranges.
  • Possible adjustment to [7] tons.
Now the weapon system still keeps it “no-minimum” range property and it still keeps a weight reduction and generates a little more heat. Again, this will translate into better piloting skills, fire timing and heat management to take full advantage of the Clan LRM-20.

OK, so now your addressing the earlier point of weight, so what you are saying is you're going to up-ton the stuff in a desperate attempt to make it better. I get it.

It's still a 7 ton LRM/20. That operates like any other LRM/20 but with SOME minimum range and absolutely no other downsides.

That is better, Paul. Flat out better. Not a trade off. Better.

That being said, when dealing with core values like tonnage or crits, we risk the chance of breaking a standard build in a future Clan BattleMech in terms of its weight capacity or space capacity.

This is why this third area of balancing new mechanics takes the longest time and will have to be revisited now and again.

Now on to a more exciting informational release… I've asked David B. to explain how Clan BattleMechs will be built and customized...

But you JUST BROKE that by changing LRM/20 weights!

Dear Lord I hope the worst is over.

With an OmniMech, instead of buying a variant, you’ll buy a configuration. The Clans tend to designate their configurations as Prime and then A, B, C, D, etc. (e.g. Mad Cat A). Buying a configuration is much like buying a variant. You’ll get a Mech, the default weapons and equipment, and a set of hardpoints in each location. However, not only will you be able to customize the weapons and equipment, but you’ll also be able to customize the hardpoints. Once you own the Mech you’ll be able to swap out each location (e.g. head, left arm, right torso, etc) with that of another configuration. This allows you to change the hardpoints within that location.

"We don't want Clan mechs to become an arms race."
*gives Clan 'mechs unparallelled flexibility*

Summary:
We are being very careful when implementing Clan Tech and we hope this "Design Approach" post helps you understand the issues and how we will be dealing with them as we move ahead.

While there are some good balance ideas in this section, they would only work if the Clan / IS were separate factions and did not cross tech.

As it stands all you are doing is putting a band-aid over a bullet wound. Clan Tech is flat out better even after your nerfs and just because it's not SUPER SUPER SUPER OP, merely SUPER OP, does not change anything.

Once you release Clantech into the general population you can either convert to all Clan, or be on the losing end, period, the end. It's flat out better and there's no reason not to use it, who cares if it's not as great as it COULD have been?

Edited by Victor Morson, 14 December 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#43 QuaxDerBruchpilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 319 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

PGI u better fix all this broken stuff in this game before releasing another money sink. WOw you really dare to offer new mechs WITHOUT ANY NEW CONTENT vor around 500 bugs? What for? Running aorund the same 8 maps with the same bugs for 500 dollar? You really havent got it. YOur game will be dead this time next year.

#44 cepera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationGolden Lion, Russian Death Legion

Clan Mech with XL will be able to survive single side torso loss?

#45 KhanHeir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

So basically IS mechs are more omni than clan mechs.

Wonderful.

So because you refuse to put up a god damned hard point size limitation circa MW4, you are utterly ******* specific variants of clan mechs. You're also making clan STD lasers even more superior to PL's or clan PL's with a better burn duration.

Then to start this nightmare off No one can change engine or upgrade locations

Whats next poor clan dubs? 1.3 heat dissipation?

I also love the adjustment to the larger streaks, whats that going to fix? NOTHING considering its the mechanic itself that is broken. If you can boat enough streak 6's you're going to murder even with a stagger fire, we'll be back in the 3rd streakpocalypse AGAIN.

Why are you not fired yet?

#46 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

We all know how hard it is to balance IS Mechs and weapons due to the Mechlab.

But Clans, with the ability to change hardpoints? That will be a balance nightmare.

#47 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 14 December 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

DEAR LORD PAUL THE ANSWER TO BALANCING CLANS IS NOT MORE GHOST HEAT

AND YOU ARE FOCUSED ON THE DAMAGE / HEAT WHEN THE PROBLEM IS CRIT SLOTS / TONNAGE

YOU HAVE NO CLUE.

Edit: I plan on adding more in a moment.

Yeah, the problems are Clan versions of Endo, Ferro, XL and DHS. After these you could maybe take a look at the weapons...

#48 New Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 14 December 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

Yes, LPL has been in a black hole every since that day.

Don't forget his brothers the SPL and MPL. It boggles my mind that they are talking about clan tech balance when the current balance is what it is.

#49 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

sigh, they cant change much in tonnage/slots, because?

IT INVALIDATES STOCK BUILDS.

#50 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

PGI...if you really believe that you can sell a 200+$ mechpack to fans of MechWarrior while taking the essence of what makes it MechWarrior apart, bit by bit, than I hope you will fail miserably and the whole MWO-unteraking with it.

Now I realize that I write this while being very, very angry. I think you can figure out that this is SOMEHOW related to your actions rather than some cosmical anomaly.

#51 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

View PostMischiefSC, on 14 December 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Ow. First few posts and we're already into scorched earth.

I do appreciate the approach to balancing clan tech. It's actually got some great ideas to recommend it. Combine that with relative tonnage restrictions and it might work.

Here are the concerns I have.

1. Based on the current model it will be December of 2014 before a cbill variant of the Timber Wolf, for example, is available. So you are essentially saying that if anyone wants to play anything other than a clan light, maybe a medium, we have to either pay a couple hundred dollars or wait a year. While this isn't 'pay to win' it's pretty much 'pay to play'. This isn't about playing a particular chassis but access to one whole faction in the game.

2. Without a fix to the meta (AC/PPC or stay in the kiddie pool) the clans are not going to be the significant change to the game they should be. There have been recommendations (give PPC/AC and 0.3 to 0.5 second DOT effect, enough to limit the pinpoint effect of poptarting while still making them accurate. Remove gauss charge-up, leave it pinpoint. That's my favorite anyway) but the meta itself is pretty stale at the higher competitive end where Clans *should* be significant.

3. UI 2.0, CW, fixes for SRMs, hit detection, it's a long list. To release clans in a high priced system and gold mechs (there is no worse way to have done this BTW. For future reference. Maybe if you'd made them 'Khan mechs' with clan-specific paint you'd have done far better. As it is you're asking people to pay $500 for a mech that will likely get them TKed) while all that's missing really pours salt on those wounds.

4. The Phoenix Mechs were a poke in the eye. 1 mech in the bundle was good. The Shadowhawk. 60 degree turn on the 1G? Really? I get where you didn't want it to seem P2W but.... really? Hardpoints are bad (for the current meta anyway) and as a given rule everything but the Shadowhawk was DOA. Many of us feel like we spent $80 for a Shadowhawk and some the next generation of Dragons and Awesomes. Can you give us a good reason to trust you that the Clan Mechs won't end up being trash, save maybe one medium? Does giving you $240 mean I get two mechs that are decent instead of one? Not trying to sound bitter here but I'm sincerely asking, on what basis should we put the trust to give you 4x as much money when the last offer literally delivered only 1/4th the goods as decent quality and 3/4ths as muck.

Very good points about this cumulative tier sale method. It was unfair in Phoenix (who wants the Locust now) and now, for the Ryoken, I have to get a bunch of Mechs that while I do like them, I wouldn't pay cash for them directly (ok... maybe on a sale ... with black friday MC...).

#52 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

This might be unrelated but.....

Please don't turn the Timberwolf's missile pods into an abomination like the catapults...

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 14 December 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#53 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostHaakon Valravn, on 14 December 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Many of the most iconic Clan 'Mechs from TRO3050 I would characterize as having the largest engines possible and the most armor possible for their weight (under the TT rules of the time). The Timber Wolf is a prime example.

they can have a lot of armor but if there is a lot on the back you will miss that on the front. if you take a look at the atlas DDC which has almost full armor. it has 28 armor on the rear and 82 on the legs. who needs that? you can get an other 10 points on your front which helps a lot and well for the legs you can get rid of 40 points on both legs

#54 Riptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

So.. the omni mechs wich where heralded as the next evolution of battlemechs... praised for their flexibility...

Are less flexible then normal inner sphere battlemechs.

Not to mention the fact that you cant change armor values wich make some of the more flimsy clanmechs dead on arrival... the loki and thor for example have **** poor armor and very broad fronts.... and arms thin enough that twisting wont do anything to protect your torsos...

Also puma.. a light mech that goes about 90 kph.... a speed that heavier IS mechs with better armaments can achieve...

#55 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostHelmer, on 14 December 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Just a reminder, this is feedback on the Clan Technology - a design Perspective post. Let's please use this thread on feedback regarding the deign ideas contained there and use the other Feedback posts for their intended purposes ( I.E. Clan Collections - Feedback )

No need to cross the streams.... you never want to cross the streams Egon.

Cheers.

The, uh, two are related.

While I understand your concern... I have to ask what we're supposed to give feedback on.

"Well, we may do this, we may do that. We really just decided we should post this today... rather than twelve months ago when many started asking these questions when the Clans were supposed to start invading in March..."

It's absolutely ridiculous.

There's no balancing idea to discuss - no balancing idea to give feedback about.

There have been -hundreds- of threads discussing how clans might be balanced in Feature Suggestions, Game Balance, Mech&Build... You mean to tell me the group that has received $5M dollars from the Founders Package and, quite possibly, similar revenues from the Phoenix Package... has not the resources, man-power, or integrity to task someone with bringing ideas from the community forums and resolving a clear direction for balance from them!?

WTF are the forums for if these guys aren't going to read them before asking for money on a pre-purchase!?

I know I'm wasting energy irradiating a side-lobe, here ... but the feedback on their balance suggestions is:

"Uh... WTF have you been doing all this time? And why don't you have a better idea of where you are going, yourself?"

Can I call a Trial of Possession for the rights to MWO? I desire Unaugmented combat.

#56 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

On a more constructive note: I like some of the flavor you chose (although I wouldn't change the tonnage of weapons at all- for obvious reasons.)

with the LRMs, i would have the sliding scale damage start around 60m

Projectile speeds are also a good thing to tweak where applicable.

The streak stagger fire is actually a fine way IMO of dealing with SSRM6 (despite insults otherwise) Although I would make the succession quick.

(The component switch is actually clever IMO for Omni semblance.)

Could you expand further on the locked engine sizes? It sounds, at the moment, like the engine you get, is the engine you keep.

#57 Tharnus

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Can't wait to see the scale of these clan mechs...

Also whilst your variant changes seem to be ok(ish), that has to be the laziest weapon balancing ever! The SSRM one especially (you're going to make the Kintaro sad).

If we dont see clan mechs dominating the higher elo games then you're kind of missing the point of clan tech no? Not that I'm saying that IS should be obsolete but high elo games should be 70/30 for clan/IS ratio.

PS: obvious rage about pricing and lack of vulture! (and Ebon Jaguar seeing as you don't give a flying **** about timeline anymore)

#58 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Redacted

Edited by Ensaine, 14 December 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#59 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

So, here are my suggestions (well, the LRMs ones I have said before, but I doubt Paul reads mine or anyone else's balance suggestions)

1) ER Lasers in general - I guess I used a bit of hyperbole on that, the suggestions Paul made are "kinda" the right track, but w/o numbers or examples, the idea/point is mostly moot.

2) The SSRM problem is a lot more serious. Since SSRMs ALWAYS hit their target, the SSRM4+6 will be super light killers, and as such will mad something like the Madcat due make the Streakcat look tame. So, addressing SSRMs seriously has to be in order first. #1 thing is that Streaks SHOULD NOT AUTO HIT. Skill (through speed) should be able to evade some of them at the very least, or you're just making it an extended AssaultWarrior fest. I'm serious when I say this.

3) Changing tonnage is WRONG. There is more than one way to skin this cat. Simply DOUBLE (or increase by 50%) the cooldown rate AND HALVE the damage dealt by LRMS. Since Clan CASE is free (tonnage and crits IIRC), the need to protect the side torsos on an XL engine operate on more of a "standard engine" like basis, so you would have to become some mega-mega missile boat to take advantage of this. This will allow LRMs to function differently, BUT not better than its IS counterpart. This could be refined by this is the core change that would have to be made. Ammo should be the same as the IS counterpart (because altering it would require more serious tweaking).

#60 KhanHeir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 14 December 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

On a more constructive note: I like some of the flavor you chose (although I wouldn't change the tonnage of weapons at all- for obvious reasons.)

with the LRMs, i would have the sliding scale damage start around 60m

Projectile speeds are also a good thing to tweak where applicable.

The streak stagger fire is actually a fine way IMO of dealing with SSRM6 (despite insults otherwise) Although I would make the succession quick.

(The component switch is actually clever IMO for Omni semblance.)

Could you expand further on the locked engine sizes? It sounds, at the moment, like the engine you get, is the engine you keep.

Oh yes the stagger fire is totally fine, we'll just load up our Streak 90 cats and melt you to death while focusing fire and jumping as hard as we can.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS FOOL.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users