Clan Tech: Omnimechs

12 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Travieso

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

Now according to the Battletech lore, WHICH WE ALL LOVE SO FRICKIN' MUCH, Clanner Mechs are usually OMNI Mechs - Meaning no Hardpoint weapon restrictions whatsoever (exceptions may apply?!).

But as we can see the MW:O devs appearantly don't intend to release them as such because they are selling the Clan package with variants, which means NO OMNI MECHS.

That said, please take notice that I'm trying to keep calm and take my medicine in regular intervals to maintain that calmness, but would you be so kind to tell me when you dear devs leave the office usually so I can meet you up front and shove some ideas up your face?

Here's a few for starters:

- get some german friends
you french/canadian programmers are obviously having a hard time programming this game according to the Battletech lore while at the same time rightfully being called MECHWARRIOR and not MECH'WARRIOR ACCORDING TO SOME FRENCH/CANADIAN DUDES WHO DON'T KNOW WTF THEY ARE DOING. so to improve this find yourselves some german people who can at least help you with logic and ergonomics. your game needs more german programmers because you french/canadian - let's be honest here - suck at it.

- release some frickin' OMNI Mechs already and don't be d###s about it

- OMNI Mechs are also a good way to stick with the lore.

- don't forget OMNI Mechs. Clanner Mechs are always OMNI. Write that down so you don't forget!

- OMNI, OmNI, OmNi, OMNI!

Got that?

Edited by Daniel Travieso, 15 December 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#2 Daniel Travieso

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

Did I mention Clanner Mechs are OMNI? Yeah?? OK, just making sure..

#3 Boozlebean

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBloomington

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

+1 for honesty and I totally agree. Also, I'm American.

#4 Daniel Travieso

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:28 AM

*bump* oh, darn.. the things lying around here.. unbelieveable.

#5 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:19 AM

I do not believe Omnimechs are what you believe they are.

#6 Daniel Travieso

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:43 AM

"An OmniMech is a (sub-)type of BattleMech that does not feature a fixed weapon configuration, but instead has the ability to replace or change its weaponry with modular OmniMech-compatible Omni-pods. Omni-pods can be a wide range of weapon systems and even a limited selection of structural components. Therefore, an OmniMech's loadout is only limited by the amount of pod space it possesses (both in mass and bulk), and reconfiguration time."

#7 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostDaniel Travieso, on 16 December 2013 - 05:43 AM, said:

"An OmniMech is a (sub-)type of BattleMech that does not feature a fixed weapon configuration, but instead has the ability to replace or change its weaponry with modular OmniMech-compatible Omni-pods. Omni-pods can be a wide range of weapon systems and even a limited selection of structural components. Therefore, an OmniMech's loadout is only limited by the amount of pod space it possesses (both in mass and bulk), and reconfiguration time."

That would end the 3 chassis to level a 'Mech and PGI will no change a dumb idea even when it make sense to fix it.

#8 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

View PostDaniel Travieso, on 16 December 2013 - 05:43 AM, said:

Exactly. Modifications are cheaper to do compared to standard chassis, and you can modify your stuff in the field.

But, well in MWO there are some additional restrictions - hardpoints. Those will be uncanonical for both standard and omni chassis.

#9 Dreden Aelnir

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDragoon TOC

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

Yeah...

We told lore/canon to **** off a long time ago, hate to tell you...

MWO is a deritive game and is not based on either lore or canon. The devs have said as much. As such, balance is their PRIMARY concern, canon is not. Since they seem incapable of embracing BV or deviating from the 12v12 format, you are going to get neutered clantech.

IF they wanted to make it interesting, IF they wanted to get away from the canned format, we could have a system by which balanced groups (by BV) would fight. This could be 4v12, 7v10 or whatever, then we could keep weapons/tech a LOT closer to lore....just sayin'

Dreden Aelnir
Ebonheart Dragoons

Edited by Dreden Aelnir, 16 December 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#10 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

Be careful what you wish for. If they stick to the lore you will have to gain the rank of Star Colonel (at least) before you can customize your Clan-Omnimech. :)

#11 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 16 December 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

Our aim is to, where-ever possible, respect the lore and traditions of MechWarrior and BattleTech. That said, some aspects of a table-top strategy game simply do not translate well into a first-person shooter/simulator experience and dramatically affects the balance and fun-levels of the game.

As the self-appointed Loremaster of IGP, I certainly appreciate the weight of any deviation from the table-top for those most orthodox of fans, but we ask for your understanding as we aim for a unique and lasting experience for both new recruits and Veteran MechWarriors.

well you delivered that experience for the last 1.5 years now.
over and over again.
kudos to pgi.

#12 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostDaniel Travieso, on 14 December 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

- don't forget OMNI Mechs. Clanner Mechs are always OMNI. Write that down so you don't forget!

actually they are not... The clans use a fair deal of regular mechs too. Both developed by them self and improved/modded version of old IS mechs such as the walking coffin known as the Hunchback IIC. It makes the Jaegerbomb look good.

#13 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

My fear is that in their zealous desire to balance Clan mechs and weapons they are going to make them worthless. What vague information we have been given so far does not look overly promising in my book. Sure lowering their range some seems ok, as does the longer beam duration on lasers, but to further increase their heat while limiting options with heat sink configurations(are they even proper double heat sinks?), armor values, engine values, and bizarre hardpoint configuration options on a omni-mech just seems overkill. Other than being able to pilot these mechs for nostalgia I see no reason to use them when they actually seem to be inferior to IS mechs so far as to being able to customize them. How long is a 30 ton Kit Fox going to last moving at 97.2 Kph when you have heavy mechs that can move nearly that fast with significantly more armor and firepower?

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users