65 replies to this topic

#1 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

In the midst of all the hate and negativity (yes, there are issues, but I'm determined to enjoy this),
I'm letting my inner fanboy loose.

Note: If the only thing you have to say about the clan packs is griping about cost and timing and other things they could be working on, etc. etc. Do it somewhere else. That seems like 80% of the forums right now, this thread is for the few of us who are actually excited over the new toys.

I know everyone loves the Timber Wolf , but Who else is geeked out over the Stormcrow and Nova? The Shawk and Blackjack have been giving me such a good time I'm really looking forward to the clan mediums. And the Kit Fox for that matter. With the engine cap I'm not so sure about the Adder.

I'm not much of an assault pilot, but it'll be good seeing the Dire Wolf challenge the Atlas for the 100 ton slot.

As always, Flying Debris art is gorgeous, but notice how the clan mechs are much closer to the originals than the IS designs? Personally I think his instincts were spot on here as well. The originals were good enough that much tampering would've messed them up more than anything.

#2 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 15 December 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

In the midst of all the hate and negativity (yes, there are issues, but I'm determined to enjoy this),
I'm letting my inner fanboy loose.

Note: If the only thing you have to say about the clan packs is griping about cost and timing and other things they could be working on, etc. etc. Do it somewhere else. That seems like 80% of the forums right now, this thread is for the few of us who are actually excited over the new toys.

I know everyone loves the Timber Wolf , but Who else is geeked out over the Stormcrow and Nova? The Shawk and Blackjack have been giving me such a good time I'm really looking forward to the clan mediums. And the Kit Fox for that matter. With the engine cap I'm not so sure about the Adder.

I'm not much of an assault pilot, but it'll be good seeing the Dire Wolf challenge the Atlas for the 100 ton slot.

As always, Flying Debris art is gorgeous, but notice how the clan mechs are much closer to the originals than the IS designs? Personally I think his instincts were spot on here as well. The originals were good enough that much tampering would've messed them up more than anything.

Yeah I am drooling over them too. I am a little pissed over the pricing and timing but damn if I do not try and somehow get the money together before June just so that I can have them all (not the golden mechs, too gaudy). I really like what he did for all of the mech save for the turret torso additions for the Adder and Nova. I understand why they did that due to how the system works and not wanting to make the game harder for new people but I feel that the lack of torso twist was a necessary nerf to a twin ERPPC light and 12 ERML medium (80 damage and can handle an alpha without overheating in MWO's system. I am really excited to see what else that they have in store for us and how they are going to balance the clans but it looks promising so far.

Edited by FireSlade, 15 December 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#3 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 15 December 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

but it looks promising so far.

Agreed, I'd never have thought I'd be okay with a fixed engine system, but given the inherent speed of most of the Omni's to begin with I'm perfectly okay with it. Heck in a budgeting effort I might very well buy a $30 per month package/upgrade. :excl:

Edited by juxstapo, 15 December 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#4 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

Aye, loving the Stormcrow. Absolutely love the mech. The redesign is stellar, too. I fear for the light mechs, however, given they are slow (adder and kit fox), under-armored (massively in the kit fox's case), or both.

I would love to tinker with the omni slots, but the stock configurations on them are pretty wicked as it is. Maybe lose an ERMLas on the Prime for an additional DHS? Bravo is terrifying, however. Outright perfect for a brawling monster.

#5 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

I'm certainly looking forward to clan mechs, mainly as targets, but still looking forward to them.

#6 Wraith05

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 696 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

I want a summoner, have always loved that mech.

#7 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

I think the Nova will be a very good mech. It is a laser boat, but it does it VERY well. With the torso twist ability it will be even better than before. Too bad I won't have one FOREVER. By the time that mech is available for C-Bills, it will probably be next December :excl:

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Nova. Long tied with the Summoner as my favorite Clan Mech. And they put that ridiculous bubble canopy on the summoner that ruins it for me. But the Nova?

Yeah. Can't wait for July to roll around.

#9 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

Im definitely getting the Nova.
Wonders how fast I can melt myself with 12 MLaz.
From my experience in MW2: Mercs, the Nova have very limited torso twist. It is like playing chicken when piloting this mech, running head on and see who pops first.

Im also looking forward to a Mad Dog/Vulture if they decided to add it in.
Not a big fan of the Mad Cat/Timber Wolf.

#10 Dualscar

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

I'm pretty stoked. The Nova and Stormcrow are probably my favorite Clan mediums, so I'm thrilled to see that they're the first to be released. I'm also worried about the viability of the lights. As others have mentioned, the Kit Fox and Adder are both relatively slow (97 kph, same as the Stormcrow) and the Kit Fox doesn't have great armor. Though we should keep in mind that Clan ferro-fibrous was more effective (I.S. FF armor gives 12% more protection per ton, Clan FF armor gives 20%, meaning the Adder's 6 tons of armor are only 8 armor short of the max). They've got decent firepower for lights, but their speed means they probably won't be filling the same role as I.S. lights and will more likely be sharing roles with mediums.

As for the torso twisting, the Nova's legs in the original designs were mounted right onto the torso, with the arms mounted onto the legs, so it really couldn't torso twist. I think MW2 is the only game to ever actually implement it that way, though, even the tabletop rules still allowed it to twist. I think technically the Kit Fox's legs are similarly mounted to the torso in its original art, though redesigning it to allow for torso twisting is easier than for the Nova. The Nova art they show here clearly has its legs mounted to a distinct waist to allow it to twist, though, so it's not going to behave like its MW2 version.

#11 Psydotek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 745 posts
  • LocationClan 'Mechs? Everywhere? GOOD!

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

I'm not buying anything but i'm definitely drooling over the Stormcrow. Fast, heat/weight efficient, deadly.

#12 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostDualscar, on 15 December 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

I'm pretty stoked. The Nova and Stormcrow are probably my favorite Clan mediums, so I'm thrilled to see that they're the first to be released. I'm also worried about the viability of the lights. As others have mentioned, the Kit Fox and Adder are both relatively slow (97 kph, same as the Stormcrow) and the Kit Fox doesn't have great armor. Though we should keep in mind that Clan ferro-fibrous was more effective (I.S. FF armor gives 12% more protection per ton, Clan FF armor gives 20%, meaning the Adder's 6 tons of armor are only 8 armor short of the max). They've got decent firepower for lights, but their speed means they probably won't be filling the same role as I.S. lights and will more likely be sharing roles with mediums.

As for the torso twisting, the Nova's legs in the original designs were mounted right onto the torso, with the arms mounted onto the legs, so it really couldn't torso twist. I think MW2 is the only game to ever actually implement it that way, though, even the tabletop rules still allowed it to twist. I think technically the Kit Fox's legs are similarly mounted to the torso in its original art, though redesigning it to allow for torso twisting is easier than for the Nova. The Nova art they show here clearly has its legs mounted to a distinct waist to allow it to twist, though, so it's not going to behave like its MW2 version.

The Nova could not torso twist in MW3 too but its arms had some of the greatest ranges. The Ebon Jaguar also could not torso twist. I actually think that not being able to twist was a buff at the same time as a nerf since it also reduced the mech's profile making it harder to hit.

#13 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostDualscar, on 15 December 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

View PostFireSlade, on 15 December 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

The Nova could not torso twist in MW3 too but its arms had some of the greatest ranges. The Ebon Jaguar also could not torso twist. I actually think that not being able to twist was a buff at the same time as a nerf since it also reduced the mech's profile making it harder to hit.

I have just only notice the waist on the Nova after Dualscar mention it.
Posted Image
vs
Posted Image

This design definitely make it more user friendly in MWO, but Im somewhat sadden at the lost of flavour.
Hopefully the torso twist would still be limited but allow maximum range of arm movement, this way it can be better at drive-by-shooting.
The arms looks almost as big as the center torso, so they can be flexible shield too.

Edited by xengk, 15 December 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#14 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Nova and mad dog are my two favourite clan mechs, followed closely by the summoner and hellbringer.
2/4 isn't as good as I had hoped, but the designs are gorgeous nonetheless. It'll take a bit to get used to the nova redesign however...

Edit: Shame on me for calling a Hellbringer a 'Hellraiser'

Edited by Smittiferous, 16 December 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#15 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

I'm looking forward to the storm crow. Visually the kit fox looks great.

#16 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

i would be VERY excited over the new toys, especially the designs are great for the most part

i WOULD be, if i was sure i´d still be playing MWO when they finally arrive..

Edited by Alex Warden, 15 December 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#17 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

I can't stop looking at em! Always imagined this kinda detail or at least the possibilities when I was looking at the MW2 mechs.

My only complaints are the Warhawk (doesn't look distinct enough on the silhouette with the combination of cockpit shape and nose) and, as Bishop pointed out, that darn bubble canopy on my Summoner! I wanted something like an upside down version of the Awesome's cockpit on the side of the Summoner... eh still purtty :D

Edited by Scrawny Cowboy, 15 December 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#18 Stonewall211

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

I want the Stormcrow and Nova so bad, I remember Mechwarrior 2, if i couldn't get a mission done than I would grab a Stormcrow and succeed, but if I couldn't do it in the Stormcrow than I would get the Nova, it was glorious. And all this complaining is getting very irritating, I mean yeah some things are wrong with what they did about releasing these 'Mechs, but ********, I'm tired of hearing about it, yes the timing was stupid, yes they are releasing gold 'Mechs that are $500 dollars, but jeez, just shut up, I want to enjoy the arrival of clan 'Mechs!

#19 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

Honestly, the complaining is only hurting the community at this point. Those who were silent but irritated at PGI are probably more ticked at the complainers than they ever were with PGI's handling of the Clan release. How many more games do we have to drop into just to hear some derp go on about $500 gold mechs? We get it. PGI is selling a joke. And? Do not buy it, get over it, and get back to the pew pew fun we enjoy. :D

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 15 December 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#20 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

View PostSmittiferous, on 15 December 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

Nova and mad dog are my two favourite clan mechs, followed closely by the summoner and hell raiser.
2/4 isn't as good as I had hoped, but the designs are gorgeous nonetheless. It'll take a bit to get used to the nova redesign however...

I could go for a Hellbringer/Loki too, they are ridiculous mech to pilot.
Packing 2 ERPPC and SSRM6, for both long range and short range engagement.
Why include the 2 machine guns thought?

Which reminds me, the Kit Fox/Uller comes with a LBX5 in previous game.
A fast firing mini shotgun intrigues me.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users