Picking My 1St 'mech, Plz Be Critical!

7 replies to this topic

#1 Scochev Apeslayer

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Before I commit all my new cbills on a Shadowhawk and want the 280XL for another mech later, assuming I love Dakka with a nice boom and big blue lazerz ;), plz pick on any glaing deficiencies in this ranged harrasser.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2a43a5071120ce0

Thanks in advance!

*** I know this can also be done in the "H".

Edited by Scochev Apeslayer, 16 December 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#2 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

I just wouldn't upgrade the engine. The performance difference between a 280XL and a 275XL is minor, at the cost of 4.5 million C-bills. I know you say you'll want it for a future build, and maybe you do end up wanting that engine down the road - if that's the case I'd just buy it then. You never know what you may end up deciding to do before then.

Also, I'd plan on buying the -2H and -2D2 sooner rather than later. You'll need all three to get past your Basic efficiencies, and that has a huge impact on how a mech handles.

The Hawk is a good chassis to start in with - a lot of variety available with those hardpoints.

Edited by Buckminster, 16 December 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#3 Scochev Apeslayer

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

Upon looking over my future ideas, you're right, that stock motor will be fine.

Otherwise, does she look solid? Also toying with this idea, same applies for the engine though, 275, not a 280:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...14a282a42a3ff61

That seems so much like a 4X 'Phract!

#4 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

Honestly, I can't comment on the AC build, as I have yet to run anything like it. I have single UACs on my Hawk, but nothing with multiple ACs.

I will say that I love the high ballistic mount of the Hawk. It makes peep-shooting a lot easier, and you'll find that fewer shots are impacted by intervening terrain (or mechs).

#5 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

Never a fan of torso-mount multiple-AC Mediums. Speed and armor don't justify the risk you take by constantly firing toward one direction while adjusting aim. Not mentioning being expensive and very large for a Medium.

For urbie's sake just get a Hunchback....

#6 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

I'd say, if you go the Shadow Hawk, that it's a *great* mech. You get a good load of punch, and as long as you stay mobile and play peek-a-boo with bigger mechs, you can take down titans. It doesn't run as hot as a laser-based chassis, it can move pretty quickly - especially with a bigger XL should you want to trade the ER LL for MLx2 - and it's got JJ. A great all-round mech that isn't at the mercy of any glaring heat issues that'll have you turning into slag in extended engagements.

Mediums, in my opinion, are the best chassis set to give to new players. They're fairly versatile - with the exception of the 4P Hunchback and any of the Cicada variants - and while the game in general has a fairly high skill cap, you aren't battling with going faster than you can deal with initially, nor going too slow to keep up with everyone and get into the fight. Add to the fact that a well-piloted medium can be extremely dangerous, and you've got a great set of points.

That being said, until you have some experience with the game, and with some of the techniques (torso twisting, limb shielding, etc.), there are some mechs that you probably should avoid at first. What mainly comes to mind is the Centurion, and the majority of the Hunchback variants - the exception being the 4SP. The reason for this is that to keep these mechs in the fight and making a big impact, you need to protect certain parts of your mech with less important areas. For the Cent, it's your right arm with your left, unless you go a zombie build, and for the Hunchies, it's the right shoulder (which is a *big* target). If you can blast those areas off, you effectively de-fang the mechs.

Just my two cents. =)

#7 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:58 AM

The advantage of the Shadowhawk is it's flexability, and while you can do some similar builds in any of the chassis, some excel at one role over another.

THe 5M is a great starter mech because it comes practically ready to go, with only needing some customization for your personal style of play. The 275 XL is good enough (it's not a 280 XL, but that's 4.5 million you can save, and other mechs come with that engine as well).

Personally, I like the 5M as my Shadow-Hunch, which means I end up throwing a standard 275 in it so I can mount an AC20. The 5M's advantage is the 2 energy slots are on the other arm (So you don't lose your both by losing a torso), which make it perfect for 1 big ballistic. That said, I'd get another Shadowhawk rather than buy the 275 standard (since the others come with them) and swap engines if you go that route. So start with the 5M, then get the 2H.

#8 NoThreat

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

What this guy said :huh:

View PostBront, on 18 December 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

The advantage of the Shadowhawk is it's flexability, and while you can do some similar builds in any of the chassis, some excel at one role over another.

THe 5M is a great starter mech because it comes practically ready to go, with only needing some customization for your personal style of play. The 275 XL is good enough (it's not a 280 XL, but that's 4.5 million you can save, and other mechs come with that engine as well).

Personally, I like the 5M as my Shadow-Hunch, which means I end up throwing a standard 275 in it so I can mount an AC20. The 5M's advantage is the 2 energy slots are on the other arm (So you don't lose your both by losing a torso), which make it perfect for 1 big ballistic. That said, I'd get another Shadowhawk rather than buy the 275 standard (since the others come with them) and swap engines if you go that route. So start with the 5M, then get the 2H.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users