50 replies to this topic

#1 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

First of all, I love the music in the Mechlab. Startup and end round music not so much, but it seems quite alright for other people too.

Second, the new map is fantastic and really makes me think of Mechwarrior 2 on Solaris with that one arena. Can't remember the name of it, but it had a big lower level that the moon base map does. I also love the muted sounds, the immersion is fantastic!

And last but not least, the Griffin is a joy to pilot, super maneuverable and quite survivable. I have not tried my Lunchbox Carrier 9000 yet but I can't imagine it being a bad mech. The look of both mechs is very faithful to the originals and does my Griffin figurine sitting on my desk proud. Cockpits of both mechs are excellent (compared to the cramped TV box of the Shadow Hawk).

Overall, this patch was awesome and I am so giddy for it. Thanks to everyone who put all the work into it.

Also my network problem was fixed and I can safely drop without using a VPN!

#2 Stygian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationohio

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

face it, no one from here on out is going to be able to post anything positive without someone comming along to p.iss in the cheese dip

#3 Pathos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

As someone who didn't go for the Sabre scam (unfortunately couldn't resist the Phoenix package at the time), all this patch has introduced for me is a new map as well as some CTD and graphical errors. Those had been cleared up for me in the previous patches.

#4 gtyida

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

personally i hope to see the lobby with the ability to see my teammates mech loadout before launch the game, at least i know what kind of build they run....

#5 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostPathos, on 17 December 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

As someone who didn't go for the Sabre scam (unfortunately couldn't resist the Phoenix package at the time), all this patch has introduced for me is a new map as well as some CTD and graphical errors. Those had been cleared up for me in the previous patches.

I've had patches like that in the past. Back in Closed Beta it was like someone switched a "Working" and "Not Working" switch every patch. A couple of my mates in my unit are having framerate issues too when the previous patch(es) didn't.

I think it'll be fixed soon, be sure to contact support though. Better than doing nothing I suppose.

#6 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

2 steps forward 3 steps back.

Frozen city is almost completely devoid of textures for me and I've crashed to the desktop more in the past 2 days than I have in the last 2 years.

#7 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

While some people have been having trouble with lights hiding in skirmish, I've found that everyone I've seen has respected the game mode and allowed the game to end in a timely manner.

The music, new sound effects, new map, and new mechs are really refreshing. I really like the way you truly feel isolated in space with the new map.

In addition to everything else, I just finished building mech #14 in my bays, which feels really good (I don't have to play the same way twice in a row ever anymore!)

MWO has taken a really positive turn for me today in particular.

#8 Pathos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

View PostShazarad, on 17 December 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

I've had patches like that in the past. Back in Closed Beta it was like someone switched a "Working" and "Not Working" switch every patch. A couple of my mates in my unit are having framerate issues too when the previous patch(es) didn't.

I think it'll be fixed soon, be sure to contact support though. Better than doing nothing I suppose.

They've been informed. While I'm among those who are unhappy and feel somewhat cheated, I am still trying to help and holding on to some hope.

#9 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

First match after the patch, and I'm running a Griffin (phoenix-colors standard ) on HPG. And I am blown away. Not only is the mech fun to play, awesome to look at, and just a general delight...the level is fantastic, with so much that can be done in it, and even the addition of the music made it seem that much better. (I know some don't like the music, but I welcome it; it's not overpowering, but it's compelling).

Also, the sound of weapons firing in vaccuum, when only the air in your cockpit and the air-sealed sections of your mech can transmit the sound? Beautiful... makes me feel like a touch of Dead Space got mixed in. Very realistic. (love the sound of my LRM firing in the vaccuum of space)

#10 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

View PostSug, on 17 December 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

2 steps forward 3 steps back.

Frozen city is almost completely devoid of textures for me and I've crashed to the desktop more in the past 2 days than I have in the last 2 years.

I feel this way sometimes, more so in Closed Beta than now. The grey texture bug has been a nuisance for them since the very beginning. Their meddling with it this patch has broken something somewhere.

And for CTD, we've all been there, the problem isn't unique to you I'm sure.

#11 SerratedBlaze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:11 AM

Just looking at the hardpoints and available loadouts in smurfys for the saber mechs I'm really liking the variant choices. They have a strong correlation but have obvious parallels in style. Like 2med laser or 2 machine guns, or LRM/SRM decision and plenty of options to support either within each variant and across them.

Overall it looks to me like griffin is potentially a lesser CPLT-C4 but there are other ways to build it for sure to make it more interesting than that. I saw screenshots of the cockpit and am also very impressed. I don't see the grit people have described but its beautifully unobstructed while having support structures, and probably good for 3 monitor use. Something shawks get shunned for.

GJ PGI at getting the loadout possibilities very right and art very right. Combined with a new mode (big community complaint reduction) and a spectacular statement from the president of PGI I'm feeling better about this game.

#12 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:00 AM

View PostSerratedBlaze, on 18 December 2013 - 01:11 AM, said:

Just looking at the hardpoints and available loadouts in smurfys for the saber mechs I'm really liking the variant choices. They have a strong correlation but have obvious parallels in style. Like 2med laser or 2 machine guns, or LRM/SRM decision and plenty of options to support either within each variant and across them.

Overall it looks to me like griffin is potentially a lesser CPLT-C4 but there are other ways to build it for sure to make it more interesting than that. I saw screenshots of the cockpit and am also very impressed. I don't see the grit people have described but its beautifully unobstructed while having support structures, and probably good for 3 monitor use. Something shawks get shunned for.

GJ PGI at getting the loadout possibilities very right and art very right. Combined with a new mode (big community complaint reduction) and a spectacular statement from the president of PGI I'm feeling better about this game.

I especially like the flavor of the 3 55 ton mechs. Shadow Hawks for ballistics, Griffins for missiles, and Wolverines for all around.

#13 Kaox Veed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:19 AM

I like that the Griffin's cockpit has a very WWII airplane feel to it.

Also if you go into 3PV on HPG you lose all sound, awesome.

#14 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:34 AM

HSR seem to actually work for me now. Which is great news as a European as I don't have a blanket 30% damage reduction as a result. Probably the biggest improvement of the year for me.

#15 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:44 AM

Sadly I only piloted one match of the Griffon and then had to take off, but from that one match I noted it is very maneuverable. I loved it only issue is I got swarmed by 3 mechs and my side torso popped leaving me with no weapons (but because of its maneuverability I got away).

Outside of that haven't seen new map or anything but I have the majority of tomorrow open so I plan to grind a little more intel out in game.

#16 DeadlyFred

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:54 AM

I have completely fallen in love with the Wolverine. It's ugly, clunky and a bit awkward to kit out but damn the thing can wade through hell and back and still get results. So many times playing this evening I thought "{Scrap}, I'm dead..." and the Wolverine pulled through for me.

I do wish they could have tossed out another light mech in the mix other than the Lolcust but I understand Phoenix was mostly about the Reseen and that's why I got it. Would have loved to have a (P) Battlemaster and Thunderbolt but just wasn't going to drop THAT much money on the pack.

#17 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:06 AM

I do have to say, the Wolverine is probably one of the ugliest mechs, but in a good way. That little chin laser makes me think it has a gas mask on or something.

#18 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostShazarad, on 18 December 2013 - 03:00 AM, said:

I especially like the flavor of the 3 55 ton mechs. Shadow Hawks for ballistics, Griffins for missiles, and Wolverines for all around.

What about the Kintaro???

#19 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 536 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 18 December 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

Dead, forgotten. Even the patch post said Shadowhawk was the first 55 tonner, although it might have meant from the phoenix pack.

But seriously, I cannot think any role where either Shadowhawk, Griffin or Wolverine is better than Kintaro. It can mount one more missile, but it's still worse because no JJ. Also the 18 variant is the only worth buying, others are more clearly worse than all 3 phoenix mediums.

For the patch, I love the new sounds. It makes me feel like I would play Mw4 the first time again!

#20 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:13 AM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 18 December 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

I never really cared for the Kintaro. If SRMs were hitting correctly, I might consider it since it can mount more than any of the other 55 ton mechs but as of now I don't think it has a role.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users