Skirmish And The Ecm Griefer

189 replies to this topic

#121 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

It takes more time and effort to kill a well-driven light than any other class of mech in the game.

Unless you have a high alpha build, then it takes like two shots.

#122 Slepnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 723 posts
  • Locationyelm washington

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:06 AM

The 2nd match I was not so lucky, as the enemy team pretty much stayed together the whole time, which was compounded by the fact that members of my own team were giving away my position, making it extremely hard to set up any sort of ambush, like I did the first match.
Screen capture and report them, its a bannable offense. PGI has already made it clear that as long as you did damage and engaged the enemy you can play the map your way till the timer runs out no matter how much your (dead) teammates and their team QQs about it. dead people can always leave if they really want to.

#123 Fuerchtegott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:26 AM

Haven't read much, but please, just keep playing skirmish and spread your tears there.
I enjoy assault without all the qq far too much.
Please NEVER come back!
PGI give those "players" whatever they demand, if it helps keeping assault mode clean.

#124 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

View PostSandpit, on 18 December 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

Posted Image

+1 for Married with Children!

#125 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

IDEA:

If a certain amount of time passes without damage, a time begins to tick. At the end of the timer the match ends normally. Until then, the timer remains off. (i.e if 3 minutes pass and no one has damaged anyone a 2 minute timer begins to count down. After 2 minutes the game ends normally).

#126 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostFuerchtegott, on 07 January 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

Haven't read much, but please, just keep playing skirmish and spread your tears there.
I enjoy assault without all the qq far too much.
Please NEVER come back!
PGI give those "players" whatever they demand, if it helps keeping assault mode clean.

I saw someone on our team tell another player to "get off the cap" the other night. He knows who he is and he's probably reading this right now. We told him to go play skirmish. The other player won the game with the cap and chatted, "Sorry. I'm here to win, not pad your KDR."

#127 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostKhobai, on 07 January 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

Whenever a mech is destroyed in skirmish it should take ~15 seconds off the timer (down to a minimum of 2 minutes). that way the amount of time left on the timer is inversely proportional the number of mechs still alive in the match. It would prevent situations where you have to hunt down a light mech with several minutes left on the clock.

But then you're effectively eliminating the ability for a lone mech to try and salvage a win, which is actually possible in Skirmish.

You also eliminate the ability for one fresh mech to win against two cored mechs, because there isn't enough time to chase them down... so the guys running off to hide are actually rewarded with a win.

The game needs LONGER games, not shorter ones. Folks need to up the dosage on their ADD meds if they can't handle a game lasting 15 minutes.

I saw someone on our team tell another player to "get off the cap" the other night. He knows who he is and he's probably reading this right now. We told him to go play skirmish. The other player won the game with the cap and chatted, "Sorry. I'm here to win, not pad your KDR."

Was your team engaged in a fight, and winning?

In those cases, I've seen folks want to not cap, because combat is actually fun.. and having some other dude just end the fight by capping kind of sucks.

But hey, as you say, now we can play Skirmish so meh. Not really an issue any more. But on some level, I gotta wonder why folks bother playing if they don't actually like fighting. Although I tend to think they'll probably get bored and stop playing sooner or later, since standing in a square gets boring after a while.

#128 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

But then you're effectively eliminating the ability for a lone mech to try and salvage a win, which is actually possible in Skirmish.

While I admit thats possible it is quite rare that it happens. While having to waste time chasing light mechs around at the end of skirmish is actually quite common. Its important for the gamemode to not make players feel like theyre wasting their time.

#129 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostKhobai, on 07 January 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

While I admit thats possible it is quite rare that it happens. While having to waste time chasing light mechs around at the end of skirmish is actually quite common. Its important for the gamemode to not make players feel like theyre wasting their time.

Had it happen a few times last night alone... Had one game where we got down to 2 vs. 6, and the last two guys (a blackjack and a shadowhawk) killed all remaining 6, finishing it with less than 1 minute to spare.

In another match, we had a lone raven remaining who managed to pick off one of the enemy before finally being taken down, but doing so required him to really sneak around and choose his engagement.

Seriously, we're talking about a few minutes here. Folks need to work on not having such absurdly short attention spans.

#130 Navy Sixes

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostRoland, on 07 January 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

You also eliminate the ability for one fresh mech to win against two cored mechs, because there isn't enough time to chase them down... so the guys running off to hide are actually rewarded with a win.

The game needs LONGER games, not shorter ones. Folks need to up the dosage on their ADD meds if they can't handle a game lasting 15 minutes.

Was your team engaged in a fight, and winning?

In those cases, I've seen folks want to not cap, because combat is actually fun.. and having some other dude just end the fight by capping kind of sucks.

I think his point was that winning is more important. I've had a few assault games in which players abandoned a cap win to go fight and then lost. Everyone on both teams agreed that it was pretty stupid. In this example, the capping player was banged up and out of ammo and on the cap. The other player, the one trying to get others to ignore one of the victory conditions, was on the other side of the map circling with the last of the enemy. If you can't "git her done" in the time it takes one or two mechs (without an accelerator) to cap, you're just wasting your teammates time.

#131 Navy Sixes

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostRoland, on 06 January 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Unless you have a high alpha build, then it takes like two shots.

If that were true, this thread wouldn't exist.

#132 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

The problem is that PGI can barely code what they got. Expecting them to do something intelligent to stop griefing is just asking way too much from them. Just be happy they havent taken your money and run off with it, yet.

#133 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 21 December 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

Skirmish matches last longer, involve more and more complex tactics and don't give any cheap and easy tricks to win. You've got to fight harder and smarter than the other team. Have to coordinate better, adapt better and perform better. You can't force the other team to run to cap or stand in a magic square to win after you've gotten your a$$ handed to you on the battlefield. There's no screaming, no QQing. I played a match earlier where my whole team of pugs + 1 premade coordinated very well in chat. Called targets, called locations, organized an ambush, identified and blocked enemy flankers and then in mediums and heavies and a couple of assaults coordinated the tracking down, pinning and destruction of the last lone Raven 3L who tried to run off and hide - on Alpine. He had 2 ERLLs and ECM and we still found, chased, corralled and destroyed him.

I'll never understand why people believe that this is impossible in Assault or Conquest.
Really, it makes no sense.

#134 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

View PostFut, on 07 January 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

I'll never understand why people believe that this is impossible in Assault or Conquest.
Really, it makes no sense.

Communicating isn't impossible in Assault or Conquest.

However, your tactical options are much more limited in those game types, due to your being tied down to certain parts of the map due to the requirement to defend a specific 5x5 square.

#135 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

I was in a match where a guy in a Raven killed 3 out of 5 remaining enemy mechs while the rest of our dead team (including myself) watched.

He was insanely good with an PPC and 2 MLas. It was a TREAT to watch.

He ran out of time...and tried to rush the last two kills, so he ended up dying. If he had had 5-8 more minutes, he would've won the match.

I don't care what anyone says, THAT is what makes for a fun and interesting game.

Edited by Nicholas Carlyle, 07 January 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#136 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

View PostRhent, on 18 December 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Got to admit, putting in a game mode where you can have 1 fast ECM mech vs 5 heavy/assaults and then have no way for the heavies/assaults to win the game and have to wait for a Time Out is possibly a poor thought out game mode.

I've already dealt with this on Skirmish a few times and its not exactly fun being forced to lumber around for 8 minutes while a light mech just runs around and doesn't engage. Skirmish needs this:

In the event there is 1 vs 4+ left, and there has been no weapon damage done in the last 30 seconds, the game automatically ends and the team with the most numbers win. It would prevent the light mech from griefing everyone, including his own team to make them sit out playing the game for 10 minutes. So at the very least, the light mech would have to do some kind of damage every 30 seconds to keep the game going. Eventually he's going to explode.

Of course if Piranha's intent was to grief the playerbase, then by all means keep Skirmish as it currently stands.

I have probably played a min 100 matches on this mode. Only one match resulted in some azzhat powering down. With BAP it only took about a min to put him to rest. And I watch for players on my team looking to do it watching their locations. You do it, Ill tell on your azz where you are.

#137 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostZolaz, on 07 January 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

The problem is that PGI can barely code what they got. Expecting them to do something intelligent to stop griefing is just asking way too much from them. Just be happy they havent taken your money and run off with it, yet.

You do realize this is the exact game mode players were asking for right? So now it's blame PGI because the exact same thing we predicted could happen does happen? Not to mention I have yet to have a skirmish match end in anything other than by death. Have yet to see one go to time limit.

So all those mechs that are left at the end should just line up and shout out their coordinates so you can come shoot them?

#138 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostRoland, on 07 January 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Communicating isn't impossible in Assault or Conquest.

However, your tactical options are much more limited in those game types, due to your being tied down to certain parts of the map due to the requirement to defend a specific 5x5 square.

Exactly. Why bother investing the effort when you've got the magic win square to stand in if things get tough?

You can't trust your team to have the same goal as you. Some want to cap, some want to fight. You can't chase the enemy or pin the enemy or attempt to divide the enemy, one of them may just rush your cap, forcing you to abandon your tactical positioning to keep them from a magic box win.

Capping eliminates the value of any and all tactics save capping (or countering capping). It makes such effort pointless most of the time.

In Skirmish you'll win or lose based on those tactics. Hence their prevalence.

#139 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 08 January 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

Exactly. Why bother investing the effort when you've got the magic win square to stand in if things get tough?

You can't trust your team to have the same goal as you. Some want to cap, some want to fight. You can't chase the enemy or pin the enemy or attempt to divide the enemy, one of them may just rush your cap, forcing you to abandon your tactical positioning to keep them from a magic box win.

Capping eliminates the value of any and all tactics save capping (or countering capping). It makes such effort pointless most of the time.

In Skirmish you'll win or lose based on those tactics. Hence their prevalence.

Exactly, the tactic of make a blob and find the other blob is the height of tactics.

#140 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 08 January 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

Exactly, the tactic of make a blob and find the other blob is the height of tactics.

No it is the lowest of tactics, but it is the easiest of tactics when communication is difficult.

Your level of tactical ability is directly proportional to your ability to communicate it well.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users