189 replies to this topic

#41 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:53 AM

Howabout trying something other than an assault mech ?

#42 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:55 AM

View PostDr Herbert West, on 20 December 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:

The solution to this problem is simple ... in fact, it was already solved by TF2!

Just add a cap point in the middle of the map that only goes active after 10 minutes (or longer if the map is large). Thats it. You don't have cap rushes, and you eliminate the possibility of a light running down the clock after his team is wiped.

View PostRonan, on 19 December 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

Extra conditions... so, Assault mode?

View PostKharnZor, on 19 December 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

Posted Image

Edited by VIPER2207, 20 December 2013 - 04:56 AM.

#43 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

@ people in this thread complaining about Skirmish

**** out of my game mode, this is exactly what I wanted. Go play assault or Conquest if you feel finding/hunting one crippled mech is too difficult. If it is, then killing things clearly are not your forte. Go cap arbitrary red squares in the other two game modes, then.

#44 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

In other news, I just wanted to say that over the past couple of days assault mode has been great! Speaking for myself, I've been seeing a lot of close, back and forth matches, many of which come down to fierce base assaults/defenses. A lot more lights and mediums in the games, too (although that may just be people getting down on their Sabre packages; I know I am!).

Best of all, the enemy doesn't ignore the cap, and neither do we. No one is trying to enforce some whack and self-serving 'honor code' on their own team. And there's no more in-game whining from the enemy about capping when it happens. The people playing assault now are gamers who take a little strategy with their pewdakka.

Assault has been good over the past couple of days. You get killed because you were outfought. You get capped because you were outmaneuvered.

I haven't tried skirmish, yet. I was going to, but I ran a couple of assault matches first and got totally hooked in. I'm sure I'll get around to skirmish eventually. After I finish skill-grinding my Sabers, my next mech is going to be a Spider...

#45 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 19 December 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

I will just leave this right here:

PGI's Stance

scroll down and read Egomane's post.

They shouldn't have named it skirmish then. It should be called team death match. They imply very, very different styles of play.

#46 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

Trolling can happen, but really, what's the point? The badly outnumbered ECM light can't win if he's outnumbered... so what? Run around the map for 10 minutes and accomplish nothing while still losing? I'm not saying trolls won't try it, but there is literally no benefit for the trolling player.

I haven't seen it happen yet in the few days since Patch Day. First Skirmish game for me ended with me in my Awesome and my cored Atlas team-mate (I don't think he had any weapons left) vs. an enemy Locust. The Locust stuck around and fought, so I'll give him credit. Why? Because he still could get in some damage and maybe kill that nearly dead Atlas. We won, but it was a good fight. So, even in a case like that, it just wasn't worth it for the Light pilot to run away, IMHO.

#47 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

haven't had any "find the spider" matches yet on skirmish. have noticed fighting taking place in more locations though which is nice. at least now the "everyone go right" technique just means both sides have switched starting points for the match not "our side had 1 more light/medium getting to your base before your side did. we win!"

wasn't expecting to be a fan of skirmish/TDM but it hasn;t been that bad- even starting to do ok in my lights and i'm not a good light pilot.

#48 Xmasterspy

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

30 seconds is to quick. Its need to be something like 2 minutes with no fire\damage then the timer speeds up. Speeding up faster and faster until time is out.

#49 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostRhent, on 18 December 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Got to admit, putting in a game mode where you can have 1 fast ECM mech vs 5 heavy/assaults and then have no way for the heavies/assaults to win the game and have to wait for a Time Out is possibly a poor thought out game mode.

I've already dealt with this on Skirmish a few times and its not exactly fun being forced to lumber around for 8 minutes while a light mech just runs around and doesn't engage. Skirmish needs this:

In the event there is 1 vs 4+ left, and there has been no weapon damage done in the last 30 seconds, the game automatically ends and the team with the most numbers win. It would prevent the light mech from griefing everyone, including his own team to make them sit out playing the game for 10 minutes. So at the very least, the light mech would have to do some kind of damage every 30 seconds to keep the game going. Eventually he's going to explode.

Of course if Piranha's intent was to grief the playerbase, then by all means keep Skirmish as it currently stands.

LOL it's not trolling. No sane light pilot is going to engage 5 bigger mech, and you will never catch him while trying to stay in a murder ball. Split up and cover the map. Gives you a chance to kill him, and gives him a chance to fight back. I doubt he wants to just run away for 7 minutes any more than you want him to.

Alternatively you can stay in your murderball and run around in very slow circles until the timer runs out, it's your choice really.

Edited by Mogney, 20 December 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#50 Wild Hog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 145 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

I really don't think it's us "old farts" that are complaining (I'm 50 something). I've been playing mech games for coming up on 15 years, MPBT:Solaris, MPBT:3025, MW3, and MW4 through all the Mektek upgrades. Death Match is exactly what everyone I know wanted here in MWO, and I haven't heard a single complaint from any of these old timers. Griefers have ben rare, but I don't count the last pilot alive using movement and speed to flank and separate remaining enemies, the last alive must be allowed to play it out in their own way. So, just because there's 1 left and it's taking some time, doesn't mean that pilot is griefing.

There was one guy left in a game the other night, and he was up against 5 or 6 enemy mechs, and managed to take down all but 2. Was I angry he wasted time? No! It was very exciting to watch a good pilot work, don't remember his name but he was wearing a Marik tag. I typed to tell him to take his time and play it out his way, was a fine show of mech skills.

Don't take that away! Leave skirmish mode alone!

#51 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

As a PuG player, Skirmish has quickly become my favourite mode. It seems PUGS join up better, or perhaps it's just premades stick to Assault. What I am loving is I dont ever see a premade 4man base cap accel light brigade... Ill take the occasional light ecm troll if that's the price to play. I certainly see less ROFLSTOMPS, which is refreshing.

What I really like is mediums and light heavies seem to be kings of Skirmish.

I do have a question about win conditions... what happens if a team kills all but one player on the other team... say an 11v2 win, with one light hiding... if everyone DCs except the light, wouldn't the team still win? If so, this seems like a problem that will solve itself.

#52 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostRhent, on 18 December 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

The problem is when you hate skirmish, but you don't like playing only Assault or Conquest you can then only play one game mode.

They can fix skirmish if they do what I've outlined. Otherwise, its an example of a game mode that took minimal work to put in and had zero thought in making. Oh wait, I think I described how a certain game team does its implementation. My bad.

Why allow just the final 3 or > to suffer and not "everyone" who is left over? Bad bias is bad.

#53 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 18 December 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

Skirmish rewards mediums. They can focus on fighting, hit and run. They don't have to focus on capping/camping. I had a harder time in my Atlas than I did in my Shadow Hawk. My Tbolt is coming into its own as well. Survival is critical now - glass cannon poptarts can no longer count on the enemy sticking to a few select positions and set up to snipe accordingly. You've got to stay on the move and that makes poptarting a lot tougher.

What?
That's a ridiculous comment to make, and it just kind of makes you sound like a lazy Med Pilot.
If you were in a medium, and focused on capping/camping in Assault, you were doing it all wrong.

View PostWild Hog, on 20 December 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

I really don't think it's us "old farts" that are complaining (I'm 50 something). I've been playing mech games for coming up on 15 years, MPBT:Solaris, MPBT:3025, MW3, and MW4 through all the Mektek upgrades. Death Match is exactly what everyone I know wanted here in MWO, and I haven't heard a single complaint from any of these old timers. Griefers have ben rare, but I don't count the last pilot alive using movement and speed to flank and separate remaining enemies, the last alive must be allowed to play it out in their own way. So, just because there's 1 left and it's taking some time, doesn't mean that pilot is griefing.

There was one guy left in a game the other night, and he was up against 5 or 6 enemy mechs, and managed to take down all but 2. Was I angry he wasted time? No! It was very exciting to watch a good pilot work, don't remember his name but he was wearing a Marik tag. I typed to tell him to take his time and play it out his way, was a fine show of mech skills.

Don't take that away! Leave skirmish mode alone!

Also this ^.
Leave Skirmish the way it is.

Edited by Fut, 20 December 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#54 Dr Herbert West

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostVIPER2207, on 20 December 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

*quotes*

Could you be more dense?

What I described isn't even close to assault.
-Theres only one base, not two
-The base only goes active after the majority of match time (so no cap rush)

The point is that its just there as an off switch if a player runs off to hide to run down the clock.

Posting memes as a response to posts just makes you look silly. Quoting memes that other people posted as a response to a post ... well ...

#55 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostDazzer, on 20 December 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

Howabout trying something other than an assault mech ?

XL ENGINE 375 20 HS 494 / 494
75.9 kph 83.5 kph
Firepower: 42.00 Dps: 4.68 (10.64) dps
Cool. Eff.: 44%

It is an Assault Mech btw. :P

#56 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostPrezimonto, on 20 December 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

They shouldn't have named it skirmish then. It should be called team death match. They imply very, very different styles of play.

Not really. A skirmish is just a smaller scale engagement that is a FIGHT and lasts as long as it takes until it is over. Usual end causes, enemy runs out of resources, or in this case Mechs. :P

If special rules are needed, then how about if you do not engage at least 50% of the enemy forces in the first 10 minutes, your Mech simply self destructs and you are awarded SFA for your lack of effort. ;)

Edited by Almond Brown, 20 December 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#57 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostDr Herbert West, on 20 December 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Could you be more dense?

The point is that its just there as an off switch if a player runs off to hide to run down the clock.

if you want to know, i will tell you what will happen:
every skirmish-match will be a run to the single cap point, because both teams want to be there when it comes to the last enemy mech standing. and why? because...
1) ... fighting at another point of the map to the last enemy mech and going to the cap point afterwards (in slow assaults and heavys) would take some time, and players want to end a match as quick as possible when only one enemy mech is standing.
2) ... because players are afraid that the last enemy light could get to the cap point first and outcap them, although it's the last in his team (sure, you could prevent that by coding, that the last mech of a team is not allowed to capture the base, but that would make the rules more complicated, and it would be unfair to allow only one team to cap)

this takes all of your so-called tactical improvements away from the game mode. it would be conquest with only one base.

Posting memes as a response to posts just makes you look silly. Quoting memes that other people posted as a response to a post ... well ...

posting suggestions without thinking it to the end isn't much smarter...

#58 MadcatX

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostDr Herbert West, on 20 December 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Could you be more dense?

From my own experience as well as what folks are saying here, players running off and hiding seem to be few and far between.

No need to add a secondary win condition.

#59 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostSandpit, on 19 December 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

I have a feeling reports of "hiding" mechs will get worse over the holidays

I'm not hiding I'm setting up an ambush in a poorly selected location because they would never expect someone to be hiding camping there. :P

#60 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostRhent, on 18 December 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Got to admit, putting in a game mode where you can have 1 fast ECM mech vs 5 heavy/assaults and then have no way for the heavies/assaults to win the game and have to wait for a Time Out is possibly a poor thought out game mode.

I've already dealt with this on Skirmish a few times and its not exactly fun being forced to lumber around for 8 minutes while a light mech just runs around and doesn't engage. Skirmish needs this:

In the event there is 1 vs 4+ left, and there has been no weapon damage done in the last 30 seconds, the game automatically ends and the team with the most numbers win. It would prevent the light mech from griefing everyone, including his own team to make them sit out playing the game for 10 minutes. So at the very least, the light mech would have to do some kind of damage every 30 seconds to keep the game going. Eventually he's going to explode.

Of course if Piranha's intent was to grief the playerbase, then by all means keep Skirmish as it currently stands.

I disagree 100% with your idea, because you never give the chance one light mech to possibly kill off the enemy as for such it truly comes down to the mech pilot and if your willing to play that game mode then you have to live with the confines of that game mode. To many people whine already about this and that, but truthfully the only things that matter in this game are still in development all other complaints feed the process of pushing back what does matter.

58 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 58 guests, 0 anonymous users