189 replies to this topic

#61 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

here's a solution for all maps: A retreat function that doesn't result in an "Out of Bounds" penalty death. You leave the match the same way a Discon happens with all the XP you earned in the game. Then with that 11 v 1 ball of death comes for you, you don't have to hide, you can leave the map and not be penalized because you've retreated. Your KDR doesn't get hurt, you keep your XP and they win the game.

Issue solved.

#62 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

I thought I was going to hate this game mode...honestly. And I kind of do when it comes to pug battles, but I have to admit that I love it in the 12 vs 12 queue. Have had some epic battles with this game mode playing in 12 mans.

#63 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostFut, on 20 December 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

What?
That's a ridiculous comment to make, and it just kind of makes you sound like a lazy Med Pilot.
If you were in a medium, and focused on capping/camping in Assault, you were doing it all wrong.

Also this ^.
Leave Skirmish the way it is.

In a Medium in Assault you're generally faster than the heavies/assaults and so had to run back to base when the cap went off, also generally had the firepower to run off the light. Admittedly the only medium I really play anymore is the Shawk and mine generally runs between 90-110 KPH depending on build.

I stand by what I said though. In Skirmish mediums are better suited - their small speed advantage is more telling on hit and run tactics against slower heavies and especially assaults. Anyone taking a Highlander pugging on Skirmish gets what they deserve now. You're far more valuable skirmishing on a flank than floating with an Atlas.

#64 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

Have any of you guys complaining about people hiding at the end actually played the mode? I played a ton of skirmish games and only one has ended in a light (a Spider on Tourmaline) trying to hide.

That game actually became a fun minigame of its own as we all wanted to be the first to find him and kill him. Eventually had him surrounded and finished him off. The game mode is not as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

This has happened once in like 20 or 30 Skirmish games I've played so I'm not seeing what the issue is.

#65 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 20 December 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

Awwww... Skirmish Mode QQ from the Call of Doody Twitch Munchkin Challenge complete.

You were warned and we tried to stop your begging for it because we knew this would happen. At least with cap, you knew where that last guy was and when he left base. Now, it's Extreme Hide and Seek.

Posted Image

It doesn't happen. Still have an open challenge to anyone showing screencaps of 3 matches that ended like this. I've done around 40 Skirmish drops now and never seen it. I've seen a couple try and get hunted down, that's only happened 4 or 5 times. I've seen 2 where they ran out of bounds to suicide. Almost universally every game has been a brutal battle that turned into several moving brawls. I've yet to see a match where playing a sniper worked out well - by the time you're set up and ridge humping/poptarting a target your team has moved on and you're getting facehumped by 2 or 3 mechs.

#66 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 20 December 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

Awwww... Skirmish Mode QQ from the Call of Doody Twitch Munchkin Challenge complete.

You were warned and we tried to stop your begging for it because we knew this would happen. At least with cap, you knew where that last guy was and when he left base. Now, it's Extreme Hide and Seek.

Why are so many Conquest/Assault players so hurt that we got exactly what we have been asking for and that we were right and it turned out to be the better mode with deeper gameplay options?

~100 matches in. Still haven't seen someone hide out the timer. Go enjoy your box-standing.

View PostKjudoon, on 20 December 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Issue solved.

Accept your fate. No issue to solve.

#67 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

It is so easy to make modes, for skirmish they simply removed the caps, that took all of 2 minutes of coding tops.

making modes is not and never has been a problem, having too low of a player base to support more than 2 modes has always been the problem.

#68 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 20 December 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Uhhh... you don't get it. I am laughing AT those going QQ over easily spotted issues with skirmish. This after months of their QQ over capping in assault. The only time I play skirmish is when my lance or 12 man forces it on me and leave the new "MECH SMAAAAAASH" mode to players who can't be bothered to play with tactics.

That you consider pinning both teams to magic red squares and eliminating all viable tactics save standing in theirs or standing in yours to be more tactical.... well, you've got a couple of options. Maybe too much movement or their being more than 1 or 2 viable locations and approaches is more your speed?

I'm all for laughing at people QQing about Skirmish. Skirmish is hardcore mode, we've wanted it for a while. No cheap get out of jail free card, no trick to pull when you've been out-fought or out-maneuvered. Rolling in a murderball is a great way to get popped from behind, trying to setup to snipe is a great way to get caught alone and eaten. Be ready to engage across all ranges and work hard to control then when/where of the battle. Scouting and tactics mean something because you can't just force the enemy to go to 1 of 2 set locations.

Anyway, if Skirmish isn't your thing that's fine. Play Assault. Play Conquest. For the rest of us Skirmish is the tactical depth we've been looking for. It's a no-holds-barred winner-take-all, every man counts mode. Does what it's supposed to do and doesn't need changed.

Edited to add:

The only people complaining about Skirmish are the ones who want to pretend that there's a problem with it. I haven't seen anyone who's really PLAYED Skirmish say they've had an issue. It's all "Skirmish is terrible! The last guy always powers down and hides. We told you this would happen! I haven't played it myself though, anyone seen that happen?'

I'll put it up again - open challenge, 3 screen caps of matches that ended with one mech on one side and 3+ on the other, timer run out. I'm over 50 drops and never seen it, nobody I play with has seen it. If it happens once every 100 games then it's less common in Skirmish than it was in Assault.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Edited by MischiefSC, 20 December 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#69 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 20 December 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

That you consider pinning both teams to magic red squares and eliminating all viable tactics save standing in theirs or standing in yours to be more tactical.... well, you've got a couple of options. Maybe too much movement or their being more than 1 or 2 viable locations and approaches is more your speed?

I'm all for laughing at people QQing about Skirmish. Skirmish is hardcore mode, we've wanted it for a while. No cheap get out of jail free card, no trick to pull when you've been out-fought or out-maneuvered. Rolling in a murderball is a great way to get popped from behind, trying to setup to snipe is a great way to get caught alone and eaten. Be ready to engage across all ranges and work hard to control then when/where of the battle. Scouting and tactics mean something because you can't just force the enemy to go to 1 of 2 set locations.

Anyway, if Skirmish isn't your thing that's fine. Play Assault. Play Conquest. For the rest of us Skirmish is the tactical depth we've been looking for. It's a no-holds-barred winner-take-all, every man counts mode. Does what it's supposed to do and doesn't need changed.

I don't if I can help it. Don't think I am not going to enjoying the schadenfreude ofthe QQ train of skirmich mode of skirmish

#70 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 20 December 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

I don't if I can help it. Don't think I am not going to enjoying the schadenfreude ofthe QQ train of skirmich mode of skirmish

So other than people who never play Skirmish can you show me examples of people actually having the bad experience in Skirmish? The only people complaining about it are the ones who don't actually play it. Instead we've got like 3 threads of people saying 'Wooo hoo, this is awesome' peppered with people who don't actually play Skirmish saying 'It's terrible! People shutdown and hide all the time!' while the people who do play it say 'No, never seen that' or 'Happened once, no big deal'.

I admit what surprises me is the need some people have for there to be a problem with playing without the kiddie pool/capping. Nobody is saying there's a problem with it save you and a couple others who all say they don't play Skirmish. I'm curious, why do you need to believe there's a problem with it?

#71 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

^^ For the record, you are hopefully aware that "No longer playing Skirmish /No longer playing because of skirmish" and "Never played skirmish" are in no way the same thing, right?

Anybody that hates something they don`t know /haven`t experienced is just an *****. :)

Edited by Zerberus, 20 December 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#72 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 20 December 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

So other than people who never play Skirmish can you show me examples of people actually having the bad experience in Skirmish? The only people complaining about it are the ones who don't actually play it. Instead we've got like 3 threads of people saying 'Wooo hoo, this is awesome' peppered with people who don't actually play Skirmish saying 'It's terrible! People shutdown and hide all the time!' while the people who do play it say 'No, never seen that' or 'Happened once, no big deal'.

I admit what surprises me is the need some people have for there to be a problem with playing without the kiddie pool/capping. Nobody is saying there's a problem with it save you and a couple others who all say they don't play Skirmish. I'm curious, why do you need to believe there's a problem with it?

The people complaining about Skirmish are the guys who haven't played it or don't plan on playing it...go figure.

I haven't had one game go to the time limit yet in 20+ games...

Not sure why people who DON'T play a game mode feel the need to ***** about aforementioned game mode...probably just the nature of the internet. Not to mention that most of the concerns they are talking about aren't even really manifesting themselves in game.

#73 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostZerberus, on 20 December 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

I don`t think they have enough pocorn in this city for the fun I`m gonna have watching tehse people cry me a river of delicious tears.

Posted Image
the bundys beg to differ sir

If you don't like having to chase down a light for 6 minutes.....
play one of the other two modes......
it really is that simple....

#74 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostSandpit, on 20 December 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

Posted Image
the bundys beg to differ sir

If you don't like having to chase down a light for 6 minutes.....
play one of the other two modes......
it really is that simple....

Pics or it didn't happen. I never see it, nobody who's playing it regular is seeing it. I had more 'chase the last light away from your base' time in Assault.

If someone needs the kiddie pool I get that. Mostly though it seems like some people are scared of the *idea* that someone might manage to pull it off. Due props to someone who does - I'm around 60 drops now though and would have expected it to happen a half dozen times in Assault, haven't seen it once. Maybe I'm just lucky? Oh, and so is everyone else talking about it who's actually playing Skirmish?

Wait, wait, I know! We're the Vocal Minority! The Silent Majority suffers from ninja troll Spiders almost every match in Skirmish, they just never talk about it....

Yeah, no. Pics. 3 matches with a troll light running down the clock. I'm game for it happening 1 in 100 matches. I'd be happy with 1 in 30. That'd be 5 times less common than it came up in Assault and Conquest. Currently though I've seen it precisely 0 times.

Pics. 3 matches. Someone pony them up, clearly it's a constant issue, someone's got to have them?

#75 Asmudius Heng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:18 AM

I really doubt this happens.

I want to see the stats after a few weeks to see how many skirmish modes ended with a time outs.

I bet it would be EXTREMELY low.

#76 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:34 AM

i dont get why some ppl think just assaults go to skirmish. In a medium running 120 i have no chance to out run a commando or a spider running 170 on top the griefer tend to hide the only reason some plays skirmish is to upset ppl with a freshly created account.
Luckily there are just a few like 1-5% of the whole player base are haveing serious mental or educational issues. im sure the community can do fine without them so i hope they just banish they IP

Edited by Flying Judgement, 21 December 2013 - 05:07 AM.

#77 EndlessBoogie

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:12 AM

So far skirmish is kind of funny. Atleast I haven´t seen as many roflstomps as in the other gamemodes...
Until now I had exactly 1 game with time running out and it ended as a tie, I just couldn´t find the last one of the enemy team.

King of the hill with somekind of respawn or ctf would have been more fun, but thats too much work I guess...

Edited by EndlessBoogie, 21 December 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#78 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 21 December 2013 - 04:18 AM, said:

I really doubt this happens.

I want to see the stats after a few weeks to see how many skirmish modes ended with a time outs.

I bet it would be EXTREMELY low.

I know I've done it to teams in a disarmed Orion on Assault and boy they were mad they were forced to cap. They whined all the way to their win. So I fully expect it to happen at times in Mech Smash mode, although, if I'm forced to play skirmish because of "Any" mode or my teammates deciding to run it, it's now made more tantilizing to do once a roll happens and you manage to slip away just for the QQ.

#79 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 21 December 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

I know I've done it to teams in a disarmed Orion on Assault and boy they were mad they were forced to cap. They whined all the way to their win. So I fully expect it to happen at times in Mech Smash mode, although, if I'm forced to play skirmish because of "Any" mode or my teammates deciding to run it, it's now made more tantilizing to do once a roll happens and you manage to slip away just for the QQ.

So you are saying that people like yourself, who don't want to play skirmish anyway, are going to grief folks who play skirmish.

I'm not really worried, chief.

I suspect that you will get bored yourself soon enough, and give it up. And if not, it doesn't really matter, because you don't constitute a significant chunk of the player population... or if you do, then the game has bigger problems.

Most of the people who play skirmish are folks who want to fight other mechs, and if they are crippled and stripped they are generally already fully engaged at the time, which means it's unlikely for them to be able to just run and hide.

The only people who really seem to hate skirmish are the folks who really do not want to play it, because they are bad at the fundamental heart of Mechwarrior, ie. mech combat. So a game that distills things down to the essence, makes them upset.

#80 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostRoland, on 21 December 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

So you are saying that people like yourself, who don't want to play skirmish anyway, are going to grief folks who play skirmish.

I'm not really worried, chief.

I suspect that you will get bored yourself soon enough, and give it up. And if not, it doesn't really matter, because you don't constitute a significant chunk of the player population... or if you do, then the game has bigger problems.

Most of the people who play skirmish are folks who want to fight other mechs, and if they are crippled and stripped they are generally already fully engaged at the time, which means it's unlikely for them to be able to just run and hide.

The only people who really seem to hate skirmish are the folks who really do not want to play it, because they are bad at the fundamental heart of Mechwarrior, ie. mech combat. So a game that distills things down to the essence, makes them upset.

Look, you asked for skirmish mode, and got it with all it's patently obvious problems. I do this on any mode that I am left unable to win and only see certain failure. It usually comes when I'm the last guy left alive and there is no chance of winning. Why bother letting some twitch monkey get his rocks off at my expense with no possible gain for me? No, doing 5-10 points of damage for CBills is not worth it. I've no obligation to die in a stupid jesture.

I've stated from the first announcement of this mode it was a bad Idea I do my best to not associate with it. At times, as well as PGI saying it will be the case, I will be forced to play it for CW and other times. So if I'm left alone in 12-1 curbstomp and I can slip off, shut down and hide, I'm going to do that. If they offered a 'retreat' option, where I'm not penalized by point or C-Bill I'd do that. If this is griefing, call me guilty. I call it intelligent play in an untenible situation that I am on occasion forced into. If you don't like that, well, maybe you should play assault and cap if you get bored and can't find a pilot like me who's not going to play 'firing squad'.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users