#1 MechFrog1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 630 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

Preface:

I was raised with the understanding that everyone should take pride in what they do. No matter if you deliver pizzas or perform open heart surgery, what you do matters to someone. It is with this in mind that I offer my vision of how the Mechwarrior Online Clan reveal could have taken place. This belongs in the Upcoming Features Sub-Forum as I think it should be a rallying call for the developers to protect and promote the game in a way that will secure its future.

Posted Image

Imagine for a few minutes a world where MWO was in the hands of a development team that prioritized core design pillars, allocated resources effectively to avoid bottlenecks, and did not find themselves caught in the quagmire of trying to balance complex systems by adding additional complex systems.

May 4th, 2014 7:00PM PST

Furnished with accounts bearing first names and a few with recognizable bloodnames, 12 Clan mechs piloted by PGI employees drop into a random match. Each mech, having been completely modeled, tested, and polished to perfection, is loaded with an absurd amount of armor (4-5x actual numbers) and the loadouts expected for each of the primary config omnimechs.

Over the recently implemented in-game voice communication system at the start of the match, players hear the pre-recorded batchall, “This is Star Commander Jamie Binetti from Clan Jade Falcon. What forces to you pledge to the field this day?” No matter the response, after a few moments the recording will continue, “Bargained well and done…” The players are outgunned and outclassed by the buffed Clan mechs, and the resulting battle will be quickly finished.

After only a single match, the forums and other MWO communities would erupt with activity as the 12 defeated players, who would definitely have taken plenty of screenshots, share their exciting experience. In reward for their sacrifice, these random 12 players receive a special achievement on their account as, “First of the Fallen.”

May 5th, 6:00-10PM PST

As with the previous night, the Clans will drop again, this time instead of a single match, they play ten matches between 6PM and 10PM PST. To prevent duplicate experiences, a script has been added to the matchmaker that makes it impossible to drop against the Clan mechs more than a single time. This makes the experience special for each player, as well as improves the chances that players will get a chance to be stomped in the invasion.

By the second night, screenshots have flooded the mwomercs forums as well as reddit and the other major sites. Attention is gained by the major gaming sites as the information of the coming event is passed to them by PGI.

May 6th, 8AM PST - MIDNIGHT

PGI employees are called in for the special event. It’s an all hands on deck moment as is common with online games where employees are called in to populate an environment when the game is being shown off in a public event. All the accounts are created as Clan mechwarriors. Each of them pilots a mech with a configuration expected from the reinvisioning of the Clan technology. For the entirety of the day, the mission is to make sure that no player who logs in on May 3rd and plays for a suitable amount of time, walks away without having participated in the invasion of the Clans.

A special one-time achievement is added to each account titled, “Operation Revival Veteran”. By now, the playerbase is excited. The forums are filled with players who are eager to share their experiences being trounced by the mysterious Clan mechs.

May 7th, 7PM PST

In a video uploaded to mwomercs.com, twitter, and seeded into some of the gaming news sites such as TheMittani.com, PGI announces that the Community Warfare map that players have been fighting over for the past three months is going to change dramatically. Along with well edited, “Battle footage” of clan mechs in action, the CW map of the Inner Sphere morphs to show the path of conquest.

Along with the video, it’s announced that each of the six invading Clans will added to the list of factions, with their own rewards earned through the generation of Loyalty Points. The mwomercs.com page is then updated to showcase each of the new Clan mechs, their loadouts, and a primer on the clan equipment entering the game.

The finale of the video includes an announcement of the Operation Revival Packs. Though each of the battlemechs can be purchased with MC for two months (c-bills after that), two Star packs will be available, each with 5 mechs (with all three variants), 90 days of premium time, the purchaser's choice of Clan faction medallions, and paint schemes unique to each Clan. Gold versions of each of the clan mechs are available as a vanity upgrade for $99 apiece.

Posted Image

In addition to the Clan items, new vanity items are announced for the benefit of those MWO players who are not, for whatever reason, excited by the arrival of the Clans. The first item is the long-awaited emblem system that allows players to upload self-created insignia in exchange for MC and place them on their mechs. The second, surprise item is the battlemech War Banner. With a look similar to Japanese battlefields of antiquity, battlemechs now have the ability to let their flags fly, showing off their faction and unit emblems. The war banners are available on a per battlemech basis and can be purchased and modified with MC.

Posted Image

May 8th - 10th

The invasion week events are topped off with a tournament that showcases the strength of the still new UI2.0 by allowing organized teams to compete with the new Clan battlemechs. Coupled with the tournament's start is an announcement that accounts that do show a login for the past two months have been gifted with the injection of the Nova.

While at first glance this might be seen as rewarding players who don't play, it is actually a good faith attempt to bring back players who may have written the game off in the past. The gifted mechs are not lost revenue as they would not have been purchased by inactive accounts anyway. Instead, it results in an increase in revenue and active players, filling the queues and guaranteeing MWO's continued growth.

Denouement:

This was an account of what could have been. It was written with bittersweet memories of long nights where mumble was packed with lances and eight-mans, eager to play a game that we were all excited to see succeed. Everyone makes mistakes, but only some people have the maturity and internal strength to turn those mistakes into lessons. Take pride in what you do, because if you don't, someone will come along and show everyone they can do it better.

Edited by mint frog, 20 December 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#2 Shibas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Ah, what could have been...c'est la vie.

#3 Ter Ushaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationGnomeregan, Dun Morogh

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

It's good to dream sometimes.

;)

#4 Texas Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

I miss the shooting of the robots with you mint frog.

Good Post.

#5 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

Now if you just added the ability to pay $500 to be amongst the First of the Fallen, PGI might have went for it. ;)

#6 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Agreed.

A huge marketing opportunity was missed by not teasing out artwork, or even better, like you suggested something as Epic as devs dropping in in the actual mechs.

cheers.

Edited by Helmer, 19 December 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#7 valkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostTer Ushaka, on 18 December 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

It's good to dream sometimes.

;)

The problem with dreams is that they are all too often idealized depictions of the nightmares we live through in our waking hours.

Such is the case here.

#8 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

"What ifs" ... you can say what you like with the idea of escaping reality.

#9 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

View Postvalkyrie, on 18 December 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

The problem with dreams is that they are all too often idealized depictions of the nightmares we live through in our waking hours.

Such is the case here.
Deep man Posted Image

#10 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

saddly the reasons why it didn't happen are even more depressing.

though touted for years as a part of MWO the devs are only just thinking how to build the mechs. the concept art and some ideas is all they have.

they want money now and bad.

reality strikes again.

#11 Icould

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Awesome post. Sadly, it wasn't about capitalizing on a potential windfall. Any company in their right mind would have known releasing the Clan cash grabs now was a critical mistake from a marketing perspective. I believe PGI/IGP knew this too. You see, it's not about maximizing revenue from the current player base. The clan release had an ulterior motive. Either a desperation move for urgent cash flow, or a show of force to potential private equity investors. "You don't think we can make money on mech's?. Here, let me show you how many of these gold plated digital drawings we can sell to these *******. "

But yeah, OP. You have an obvious marketing talent. Nice work.

#12 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

No grasp of real business though.

On one hand the #savemwo has advocated not spending anything on MWO but then expects all their heartfelt realities to appear.

What resource does this marketing strategist intend to use "pixie dust"?

(BTW I'm not advocating anyone should pay in an FPS game or how you spend your money, but to have pipe dreams and not pay a penny? Self fulfilling prophecy for broken dreams)

#13 sj mausgmr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

One guy, one set of simple well thought out ideas, and the potential for real excitement, not fake through blindness or an unwillingness to let go, comes forth.

Mint frog probably wrote this up after Kong kast on the weekend, so I'll be generous and say this took him a week (even if it were likely a night).

Pgi on the other hand, can't deliver excitement in a period of over 2 years through their own creativity. The necessity of recycling others work solely to make money, a complete absence of concept past cloning other f2p titles key features.

I honestly think the management at Disney land could have been more creative with this ip than what we've seen.

You reap what you sow anyway, have fun in the filthy pig sty to those who remain.

#14 Pawn Couch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 135 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

PGI should hire this guy to control MWO's marketing.

#15 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

Would have, could have, should have! Do like NGNG and make your own Battletech game, so it can be what you want it to be.

#16 Ashrok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

I haven't checked up on MWO in around two months.

I haven't played seriously in a year.

I got Founders because the initial excitement for a new MechWarrior game was just too strong. I got Phoenix because it seemed like a small push to get funding, and features seemed to be teased out soon.

Deadlines passed. Interest faded.

I'm torn - I want the Clan mechs. All the mechs. But at this point, I'm worried I'll be as disinterested with MWO right now with its current features later down the line when the mechs are actually out...

Something like this would be awesome - I doubt it'll happen.

#17 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

I remember creating a thread called: "How PGI should introduce the clans" 8-10 months ago that was pretty much exactly what you described.

Well said.

#18 MechFrog1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 630 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

View Postsj mausgmr, on 18 December 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

One guy, one set of simple well thought out ideas, and the potential for real excitement, not fake through blindness or an unwillingness to let go, comes forth.

Mint frog probably wrote this up after Kong kast on the weekend, so I'll be generous and say this took him a week (even if it were likely a night).

Pgi on the other hand, can't deliver excitement in a period of over 2 years through their own creativity. The necessity of recycling others work solely to make money, a complete absence of concept past cloning other f2p titles key features.

I honestly think the management at Disney land could have been more creative with this ip than what we've seen.

You reap what you sow anyway, have fun in the filthy pig sty to those who remain.

Actually it was originally written the Friday evening of the Clan "announcement", with some editing on Saturday. I did chuckle when I heard some elements of my idea mirrored in the Kongcast. Great minds think alike.

Posted Image

Edited by mint frog, 18 December 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#19 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

View Postsj mausgmr, on 18 December 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

Those guys are pro as balls, don't know what the House of Mouse can do with a project.

ETA: I really don't know what the hell I was trying to say there. Disney is good at maek fun? **** it, it's too late for me to be coherent.

Edited by Nekki Basara, 18 December 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#20 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostHelmer, on 18 December 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Agreed.

A huge marketing opportunity was missed by teasing out artwork, or even better, like you suggested something as Epic as devs dropping in in the actual mechs.

Sheers.
I think the Devs just don't understand human psychology/marketing very well.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users