58 replies to this topic

#41 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 22 December 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

UP to 27 matches now. I am improving: 13 wins, 14 losses. 19 kills, 19 deaths. Average dmg is up to 281.

I don't dislike your build, but I need at least 1 long range weapon. 1 large or ER Large and 1 med may work. I can't stand not to be able to return long range fire.

Do yourself a huge factor and try the 2 AC/5 2 PPC setup, or even the UAC/5 configuration for a Victor. These are the primary configuration you see in competitive games, and are VERY good fighters at any range. I highly recommend you at least get one Victor setup that way.

Edited by Victor Morson, 23 December 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#42 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

OK, I'll give it a try, (2) AC/5 and (2) PPC.

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 23 December 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#43 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

Victor 9S is the best one, in my opinion. Here is what I ran till the uac5 bug:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...58dbeefdd6e30d4

#44 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 23 December 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

Victor 9S is the best one, in my opinion. Here is what I ran till the uac5 bug:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...58dbeefdd6e30d4

I tried something similar last night, but I went back to my AC/20. I kept overheating though. I was using (2) ERPPC vs PPC. Maybe that's where the overheating issues were coming from. I did have them in chain fire.

#45 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

OK, just to give you an update.

40 matches now, 21 wins - 19 losses for a 1.11 average.
31 kills and 28 deaths also for a 1.11 average.
Average dmg down to 275 per match.

Avg wins and kills both up, but overall damage per match down, interesting........

Thinking about tweaking the build a little, like this

#46 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

I tend to drop the missile's on my victors. As well more then 2 JJ is wasted tonnage, throw a couple ER Large Laser's for range and an extra ton of ammo for your AC20.

This build has done well for me. AC20+2 ER Large

I would definitely recommend getting 3 variants and get basics/elites on them, you will notice an improvement in your mech once you have 2X basic efficiencies!

#47 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

I didn't read all of these but, for some reason I have a strange feeling that every suggestion will be some kind of meta mech. Probably a Jager, Phract, Victor, or Highlander. Most certainly everyone will have one or more auto cannons and probably PPC's.

I would suggest you take a look at an Orion.

I'm a newer player also and just got a few after having the Catapults as my first heavies. My K gave me my highest damage game after only 2 hours with it (High 800's), the next day it gave me my highest kill game (7-3assist). My K/D with the V is sitting at double my average according to my profile. It also averages 357 damage per game, including the very bad games learning it. Also it gave me my second highest damage game. The Orions are pulling my terrible K/D up out of a hole all on their own and I just finally elited them the other day. I can't wait to see what else they can do.

There is also something fun about being the only one of a chassis on your entire team 90% of the time. Even if I do see another it's generally a different variant. Looking through my screenshots I can't say that there is any reason why more people don't field it. 700dmg games are very common and even over the so called "meta" mechs.

#48 Myomes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostBront, on 19 December 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

I'd suggest a Victor. Tricked out with at least an XL360, you can go 80 KPH and still bring a huge payload. Should be large, maneuverable, and deadly. The 9S lets you throw an AC20 and 2 LLs for a fairly deadly loadout.

Sure, it's an assault, but it plays faster than many heavies.

just remember, If someone goes after your side torso, you die sooner. Most people would target the right torso to blow off your AC20. If that happens, you insta-die.

#49 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

save your c-bills until late summer and just use the Trial Highlander.

#50 ValdnadHartagga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationA contested planet

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

I just started using Victors - my 9S is built like my CN9-D and I play it like one (and I do love my Cent). Two autocannons (bumped up to 5s), two medium lasers, three SRM2s (could probably fit a mix of 4s and 2s), no Artemis. DHS, Endo, XL360, 2JJ. I have some unused tonnage but I was building on the cheap since I spent all my c-bills on the chassis - except the upgrades everything was lying around or stripped off an inactive 'Mech.

I used to play Stalkers (one of my favorite TT designs) but they just ended up being too frustratingly slow for me. Also had an HGN but it just wasn't as fun as I had hoped. One day I want to try a fast brawling Atlas, and the Beemer is also on the short list to try out when it becomes available to space poors.

Edited by ValdnadHartagga, 27 December 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#51 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostValdnadHartagga, on 27 December 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

... and the Beemer is also on the short list to try out when it becomes available to space poors.

What's a Beemer? I know that name applied to BMW, but not mechs???

Jody

#52 somenothing

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

maybe the Boars Head, i.e. lots of laser beams coming out of the arms =D

#53 Xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationTrying desperately to get behind you for an Alpha Strike!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

Hey Jody,

I know you are looking for an alternate heavy or assault vs your QKD, but have you tried this QKD-4H:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e2e42a9d8672536

I am also having fun with this TBolt:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c9165933b7944d8

Have fun!

Xiang

Edited by Xiang, 30 December 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#54 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostXiang, on 30 December 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Hey Jody,

I know you are looking for an alternate heavy or assault vs your QKD, but have you tried this QKD-4H:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e2e42a9d8672536

Xiang

Funny you mention that, that's almost how I have mine setup right now. 3 SSRM and 4 MPL instead of the ML. No long range weapons, but a fairly good brawler/light hunter.

Thanks,

Jody

#55 Xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationTrying desperately to get behind you for an Alpha Strike!

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Glad you are enjoying the game, hope to see you online when im on my acct instead of my son's someday soon. Feel free to throw me a friend invite too and maybe we can get some games in (once the kids are back in school and i have more time to play....LOL).

Xiang

#56 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

View PostValdnadHartagga, on 27 December 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

One day I want to try a fast brawling Atlas

I use an atlas with 340 engine, and it still feels like an old man walking to me. Still not used to the slow, lumbering mech.

#57 somenothing

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

View Postdragnier1, on 02 January 2014 - 01:55 AM, said:

I use an atlas with 340 engine, and it still feels like an old man walking to me. Still not used to the slow, lumbering mech.

A boar's head goes 71.3kph w/ speedtweak and a 400 engine. (360 is max for standard variants)

Then you can be a slow Jenner with more armour!

#58 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

View Postsomenothing, on 02 January 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

A boar's head goes 71.3kph w/ speedtweak and a 400 engine. (360 is max for standard variants)

Then you can be a slow Jenner with more armour!

The Boar's Head really isn't terrible and is mostly only 2nd tier because the Highlander exists.

Either that, or Ghost Heat. 6 Large Lasers would make that thing damn attractive.

#59 Terrible Clint

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostVulcan888, on 20 December 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Since you want a reasonably fast build and don't want to rely on JJ too much i'd suggest something like this:
VTR-9S

It runs just over 80 km/h with speed tweak and the single JJ is enough to help you climb ledges and especially turn quickly whenever engaging a very fast light. The AC20 and dual Large Pulse give you a solid alpha punsh and profit greatly from the horizontal arm movement. The 15 DHS are enough to get out a few shots before you have to worry about the heat from the LPL and with 2x basics it even runs relatively cool on some maps.
The only downsides of this build are the lack of AMS and the low firepower in ranges over 500m. Of course, armor distribution is a matter of personal preferences and playstyle :). The Victor is probaly the most forgiving assault to run a XL engine because of its large arms that can be used to absorb damage but if you are running an XL, make sure it is a big one! (the sweet spot for most playstyles is an XL 325-360)

I have used this build for 120+ matches now and it is really fun and in fact one of my mechs with the best statistics. Runs like a sightly sluggish medium (but faster and more agile than most heavies), hits like a AC40 JM and has good armor and weapon placement.

This is basically my exact build. I love the VTR and have played all the variants quite a bit. The 9K is great because you can get 3 lasers on the left arm, but once I started to use the AC20 there was no going back. So I tried the 9S with 2 ER PPC (too hot), 2 PPC (don't like the min range AT ALL because you lose half your firepower to face huggers and lights), and am currently using 2 large pulse lasers. I wanted to try some different because I have used LL's and ER LL's a lot on the 9K. Yeah you give up some long range but really, unless you are a sniper how much damage/how effective is long range fighting really? In my experience I get most of my kills well under the 500m range so I started using the pulse lasers last night and I think my first battle with that setup I did 600 damage. Don't get me wrong, I love PPC's, but the heat is tremendous on the ER version and I absolutely hate the min range nerf on the regular PPC. The large pulse laser actually does more damage than the PPCs and has a shorter duration than standard lasers so I am going to roll with them for a bit and see how it goes.

As far as speed the VTR is amazing. My top speed (with tweak) is just over 80. Very fast for an assault, or even a heavy. I also run 1 JJ for climbing and turns and it really helps a lot once you master the movement. Need to jump off a cliff? No problem, just soften your landing with the JJ and you are good to go. Give the Victor a shot, you won't regret it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users