- - - - -

Guide To Background Info And Lore Of The Mechs (Not Mech Tier List)

94 replies to this topic

#81 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostKoniving, on 08 February 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

And if that isn't a reason to love the Dragons, I don't know what is.

Meanwhile in Chinese/Russian/other mixed societies with heavy Chinese influence and current-Chinese-government-style under the reign of a Chancellor, we of the Capellan Confederation enjoy much more peaceful lives. So long as we do our duty and never speak out against the greater good.

Seriously. They'll kill you.

lol, Capcon isn't quite that repressive in theory. Indeed one of the warrior houses is very prone to criticise the Chancellor and has done so in military circles at least. (I can just imagine that scene from "A few good men", Tom Cruise saying - any chance they just went back to the barracks and said you know what, the old man wrong ... or something like)

Having said that, pretty sure everybody looked around to see who could hear them while Romano was running the show..... ;)

Big fan of your vids btw Koniving, nice job :P

#82 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 08 February 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

Pretty sure it was done by Fed Suns, I can't imagine Jinjiro would permit it going up. Davion took back the planet around 2808.

To my understanding that is part of the problem and issue with the massacre - neither side believes (or perhaps is willing to admit or even knows anymore) they did it.

The Combines shame is always referred to by the fact that the Jenner was used - not that they did it, and yet from what I have read, all the other factions hold it against the Combine as if the Combine was responsible.

In other words it is precisely one of those things that keeps a feud going for centuries. :(

View PostCraig Steele, on 08 February 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

Having said that, pretty sure everybody looked around to see who could hear them while Romano was running the show..... ;)

Romano, and from what I have read - Maximilian's later years.

I get the feeling that Sun Tsu's reign was more fondly remembered because of his mother and grandfather's than because of him himself (though he was a worthy successor to the Fox in his own right :P)

#83 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 08 February 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

To my understanding that is part of the problem and issue with the massacre - neither side believes (or perhaps is willing to admit or even knows anymore) they did it.

The Combines shame is always referred to by the fact that the Jenner was used - not that they did it, and yet from what I have read, all the other factions hold it against the Combine as if the Combine was responsible.

In other words it is precisely one of those things that keeps a feud going for centuries. :(

Romano, and from what I have read - Maximilian's later years.

I get the feeling that Sun Tsu's reign was more fondly remembered because of his mother and grandfather's than because of him himself (though he was a worthy successor to the Fox in his own right :P)

Ummm, I haven't heard anything like that before ;)

Pretty sure everyone knows the Combine did it, but idnk about them being ashamed about it. They weren't proud sure, and the military certainly felt they had been used to do something that they wouldn't / shouldn't have to do, but the cultural aspect would have been very much "I followed my lords commands" so most would be pretty comfortable or only short lived discomfort I expect.

As for Sun Tzu, yup. No doubt most were pretty happy to see him step up to the plate. Max was OK until he went mad and the day he did Romano basically took over so his "madness" never really influenced Capcon. Romano was a loon, but on the plus side only a loon would have kept the Capcon together, they were all but gone in 3030. You needed someone completely disconnected with reality to have any hope, right place, right time for her. lol.

#84 supertrieuper

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

Looking forward to the Loki post.

#85 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

View Postsupertrieuper, on 08 February 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

Looking forward to the Loki post.

You know why the IS troops called it that don't you? XD

#86 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 08 February 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

You know why the IS troops called it that don't you? XD

Maaaa, maaaa, maaaaaadddddd

#87 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 08 February 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

Maaaa, maaaa, maaaaaadddddd

Enough weapons to flatten ANYTHING - they could not believe you could put enough HS on it! ;)

To quote the book (I forget which one) "An utterly mad loadout"

#88 Dan Baxter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 20 December 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

Storm Crow / Ryoken (55 tons)
A widespread, second generation omni-mech, built by Clan Hell's Horses in 2930.
Clan Smoke Jaguar was especially fond of the design, leading to it's Inner Sphere name coming from the Draconis Combines encounters with it.
In short: the very model of a modern major... 55 ton omni-mech?
Fun Fact: apparently Ryoken is a type of medieval Japanese inn (I do not speak the language, but that has come up a few times in the clan portion of the forums)
Fun Fact v2.0: I have to wonder how often the hands on this thing actually get used lorewise....

The word you are thinking of for Japanese inn is "ryokan". I think the name "Ryoken" is supposed to mean something like "dragon's fist", but I'm not entirely sure of the exact translation.

#89 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

View PostDan Baxter, on 08 February 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

The word you are thinking of for Japanese inn is "ryokan". I think the name "Ryoken" is supposed to mean something like "dragon's fist", but I'm not entirely sure of the exact translation.

That's what I thought......... friend who was taking Japanese (and google translate - reliable I know ;)) told me otherwise.

I checked the spelling twice to (with his Eng-{Capellan} dictionary at that) but that might have been a typo :P

#90 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 08 February 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Enough weapons to flatten ANYTHING - they could not believe you could put enough HS on it! ;)

To quote the book (I forget which one) "An utterly mad loadout"

Lethal Heritage, P164, in a battle for Trell I just after Victor Davion calls a Summoner a 'Thor' Galen Cox named two Hellbringers 'Loki': "'cause of its utterly mad configuration."

Not that I have any of the books or anything.
:P

#91 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

View PostErtur, on 08 February 2014 - 11:05 PM, said:

Lethal Heritage, P164, in a battle for Trell I just after Victor Davion calls a Summoner a 'Thor' Galen Cox named two Hellbringers 'Loki': "'cause of its utterly mad configuration."

Not that I have any of the books or anything.
;)

That is one of the only ones I have... now if only I can remember where I stuck them... :P

#92 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

Bumping for the Flea and the Charger
(though the Charger desperately needs work)

#93 LoPanShui

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

Just a few bits of extra info.

Notable Pilots for the Daishi: Natasha Kerensky's Widowmaker was considered one of the most terrifying sights on the battlefield.

Banshee: Generally disliked by IS pilots and poorly regarded due to having the firepower of a medium mech on a 95 ton chassis.

Charger: Loved by the DC to the point that, when they got the Grey Death Memory Core they upgraded the chassis into the Hatamoto almost immediately, bringing new life into what most considered to be a useless machine. Also a Charger variant was used by the leader of the Black Rose mercenary group in the Black Rose novels.

Edited by LoPanShui, 21 February 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#94 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

View PostLoPanShui, on 21 February 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

Notable Pilots for the Daishi: Natasha Kerensky's Widowmaker was considered one of the most terrifying sights on the battlefield.

I keep forgetting that (probably because she didn't have it in what few books I've got) :D

Thanks!

EDIT:
Looking at the Hatamoto, I hit the wiki-weakness and opened the Thug page and saw something VERY interesting:
For striking power, it carries two arm mounted Tiegart Particle Projector Cannons, similar in performance to those found on the Warhammer yet ten percent smaller

similar in performance to those found on the Warhammer yet ten percent smaller

A smaller lighter (probably weaker) PPC
Not a PPC-Lite or whatever, just a smaller PPC
The difference between a .45 and a .50 caliber round.

One of these days I dream of a Mechwarrior game that can actually make use of those little notes. :)
(I still have hope for this one - but not holding my breath - if it does happen it'll probably be like WoW's Cataclysm expansion)

Will update the guide later - again Thanks!

Edited by Shar Wolf, 21 February 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#95 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Update for the Banshee

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users