Uac5 Took A 30% Dps Hit And Is Now {Scrap}

65 replies to this topic

#1 Thorasta

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

There have been some changes to the UAC5

Several months ago:
It jammed 25% of the time, and took 3 seconds to un-jam.
the mean DPS was just over 5.0 making it the highest damaging weapon in the game.

Now:
It jams 20% of the time for 5 seconds.
in 7 tests to get a rough mean, it is doing 3.6 DPS (the average is also 3.6).

Facts:
This means the UAC5 is averaging 30% less damage than it used to do.
You will get higher burst damage in the first few seconds of firing, but other than that I see no advantage to using this over the AC5.
Since you cannot torso twist while using the UAC5 it is an inferior weapon to the AC5.

Opinion/synopsis:
They over-nerfed the UAC5. There is no longer a DPS benefit to having an inconsistent gun.
When you factor in the extra tonnage cost, the UAC5 went from a superior weapon to a vastly inferior one compared to the AC5.
While the gun jams 20% of the time rather than 25%, it takes 5 seconds to unjam instead of 3 (66% longer).

Testing method:
Fire 100 shots and time it. 100 shots is exactly 500 damage, divide 500 by the timed seconds to get DPS. Repeat this test many times. Stop repeating when you have an odd number of results so you can pick out the mean.

#2 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

HGN733C 2 PPC 2 UAC5's...need I say more. :D

#3 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:34 AM

Drama/comedy aside, the UAC5 is still a good weapon. It lost its OP status, becoming more a burst weapon. Once you learn to not rely on it for sustained DPS, you will do fine.

#4 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostThorasta, on 22 December 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

Since you cannot torso twist while using the UAC5 it is an inferior weapon to the AC5.

:D

#5 Zomboyd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Australia...

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

it still needs some work maybe reduce the jam time or the jam % back down to 15 as they slowed the firing rate as well as teh other changes

#6 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:01 AM

Facts:

I heard that letting go of that mouse button is Lostech nowadays. You have to wait 3 years for that technology to be available in MWO. or alternatively you can have it now for a special price of 7500 (25% discount at the moment).

Alternatively you can carry on shooting your teammates next to you while you are torso twisting because of the inability to stop shooting and torso twist at the same time.

#7 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:10 AM

uac 5 is good where it is.
now i explain you how to use it.

if you want 1, use the ac 5, otherwise you will Always jam your ac.

if you want 2, use 2 ac 5= you will feel like you never reload, so you shoot them together, meaning YOU WILL AIM THEM BETTER AND THAN DO MORE DAMAGE, on the hgn 733c use 2 ppc 2 ac5 and 3 ssrm2 to kill incoming lights.

if you want 3, use 3 ultra ac 5, but do not cicle them in a Group of 3, because you would have the same result of cycling the normal ac 5: 5 damage each 0.5 seconds:
you must Group 2 in 1 Group and cycle them, so you have 5 damage each 0.5 second from 2 ultra ac 5, and you must shoot the third one separately, from another Group, so you have additional 10 damage each 1.5 seconds. this system can not be used for more than 5-6 seconds, so exit, shoot a bit, than hide.......it costs only 3 tons more than a 3 ac 5 system and the damage output is around 40% better, in a short period of time................in my opinion they are good where they are, since you use ac 5 if you want 1 or 2, you use ultra ac 5 if you use 3

#8 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:11 AM

it´s always funny to see how people call some of the strongest weapons in game "totally ****" just because they are unable to use them properly...

yea, but what would this forum be w/o the same topics every other week xD

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 23 December 2013 - 02:12 AM.

#9 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:48 AM

Cleaned up thread.

Why can't some of just leave the threads alone if you don't have anything constructive to contribute?
Accusing others of trolling with meme pictures, not realizing, you yourself are often enough the trolls.

If you do not agree with a topic there are other ways to express this, then trying to derail it completly.

#10 Artgathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

There have been some changes to the UAC5

Several months ago:
It jammed 25% of the time, and took 3 seconds to un-jam.
the mean DPS was just over 5.0 making it the highest damaging weapon in the game.

Now:
It jams 20% of the time for 5 seconds.
in 7 tests to get a rough mean, it is doing 3.6 DPS (the average is also 3.6).

Facts:
This means the UAC5 is averaging 30% less damage than it used to do.
You will get higher burst damage in the first few seconds of firing, but other than that I see no advantage to using this over the AC5.

Opinion/synopsis:
They over-nerfed the UAC5. There is no longer a DPS benefit to having an inconsistent gun.
When you factor in the extra tonnage cost, the UAC5 went from a superior weapon to a vastly inferior one compared to the AC5.
While the gun jams 20% of the time rather than 25%, it takes 5 seconds to unjam instead of 3 (66% longer).

Testing method:
Fire 100 shots and time it. 100 shots is exactly 500 damage, divide 500 by the timed seconds to get DPS. Repeat this test many times. Stop repeating when you have an odd number of results so you can pick out the mean.

Let's take a look at what the OP is saying in comparison to the AC/20, which also has 5 DPS, but weighs 14 tons (55% more) and takes up 10 critical slots (100% more). The UAC/5 also has a range of 600m, which is slightly more than double the range of the AC/20.

The UAC had 5 DPS when jamming "perfectly" (IE: always jamming 25% of the time). However, this also meant it could have runs greater than 5 DPS and less than 5 DPS, which, given the weapons weight and critical slot requirements, seems a little unreasonable.

The advantage of the burst damage of the UAC/5 over the AC/5 is that it allows for more effective "hit and fade" tactics.

The previous nerf in now way overdid it. Previously the UAC/5 was some sort of 600m mech chainsaw that ripped through targets and nearly every mech carried at least one.

Finally, to take a mean you sum the numbers you're analyzing and then divide by the number of objects in the sum. The method you've described is neither a mean nor any other statistical technique (none require that you have an odd number of things). Perhaps you're confusing it with the Median? The Median is the "middle" number. It is not necessarily the highest or lowest number (or even the mean) of the set. The Median is easiest to find when given an odd set of numbers, but its usually meaningless. For example, in the set {1, 7, 9, 1001, 50000000}, 9 is the Median.

#11 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:10 AM

Yes the UAC5 got nerfed from it's former glory.

Don't think for a moment that the change wasn't direly needed.

All they did was change the recycle rate of the UAC5 from 1.1 to match the AC5's 1.5. This was needed as the UAC5 was broken powerful, a macro (or skill) could fire it once every 1.1 seconds, giving a 0% jam chance (as you never double tapped) and a reliable 30% increase on DPS compared to an AC5. For one extra ton and crit space.

I'm going to point out the important part here. Without risking the Jam Chance, you could take an AC5, add a Crit Slot and a Ton as a tax and rake in 30% more burst damage. The UAC5 in it's former state made both the AC5 and the AC10 obsolete, it was more effective in By The Hardpoint, By The Tonnage and By The Crit Space comparisons.

The UAC5 is still a good weapon and is still used on the competitive scene -after- a 30% reduction to it's DPS. That really should raise some warning flags as to how broken it was before.

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

What is the DpS compared to the AC5? An Ultra should be doing abourt +50% damage DpS wise at least.

#13 Varent

• 2,393 posts
  • LocationWest Coast - United States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:23 AM

amused, is all I can say about this post. I would honestly love to go up in a match with my ilya with three uac5's against another ilya with three normal ac5's and see who wins.

HINT HINT - Willing to take bets my uac5 ilya will win. Any takers?

#14 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:24 AM

Interesting, so your testing shows it's DPS averaging around 3.6 DPS for a single UAC/5 right? Well that is +0.27 more DPS compared to a single AC/5.

With the adjustment to UAC/5 ammo, I think they are okay compared to how the rest of the ballistics perform currently.

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

View PostPraetor Shepard, on 23 December 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

Interesting, so your testing shows it's DPS averaging around 3.6 DPS for a single UAC/5 right? Well that is +0.27 more DPS compared to a single AC/5.

With the adjustment to UAC/5 ammo, I think they are okay compared to how the rest of the ballistics perform currently.
Could be a bit higher... Maybe. :D

#16 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

They feel about right to me now. I use UAC when I expect higher but shorter bursts, and ACs when I need sustained DPS.

#17 Varent

• 2,393 posts
  • LocationWest Coast - United States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

going to re-iterate the fact that DPS in general is a horrible concept idea to base any logical judgement on a weapon in MWO.

Doesnt take into account burst damage or alpha capability while taking cover. Assumes your going to be firing non stop exposing yourself.

That said if you play that way, your doing it wrong.

#18 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostVarent, on 23 December 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

That said if you play that way, your doing it wrong.

There are no wrong ways to play. There are less effective ways, but that does not make them wrong.

#19 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 December 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

Could be a bit higher... Maybe. :D

Due to the jam mechanism, putting two UAC/5 together provides for the opportunity to deal 0-40 damage within 3 to 4 seconds, that should be a combined DPS of 7.2 if my math is right.

So when one or both jam, the user can simply engage in defensive maneuvers until they are both ready to fire together again for another burst.

Combined with PPCs/ ERPPCs it's an effective and lethal combo, and they also work great in groups of three on Jagers and the Ilya.

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:47 AM

So a slight boost then. :D

I like high damage, tweak convergence to loosen up damage and things will be better. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users