Is Surround Sound (True/virtual) Any Good?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

Was wondering if surround sound works well in MWO.

I play with have either 2 speakers setup or stereo headphones when I need to go in quiet mode.

I don't plan to upgrade speakers but I know there are headphones offering surround sound, I mean those with more than a driver on each side.

There is also the virtual surround sound and still up free for a few days only there is http://www.razerzone...te-and-download

Is that thing any good? Any virtual thing worth mentioning or true 5.1 headphones is the way to go?

#2 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

I wouldn't count on it, PGI hasn't even managed to get SLI / Crossfire working so I'd be willing to bet their audio programming is more than lacking as well.

#3 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

Razer has a free surround software available via razerzone.com

Unfortunately, it's made by Razer, so it's about as functional as Synapse.

If you don't understand the joke, google "Razer Synapse issues"

As far as actual headphones, with [IIRC] the exception of the Razer Tiamat 7.1, all other 7.1 headsets are software emulation and not true hardware 7.1. As such, you'd probably get about the same results with Razer Surround and a halfway decent pair of headphones.

#4 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

There are a few so-called "true" surround headsets, but they're filled with tiny, crappy drivers so the actual sound they deliver is sub-part. Razer Surround is pretty darn good. I used it interchangeable with the built-in Dolby Headphone on my Corsair Vengeance 1500 and they were comparable. MWO makes adequate use of surround it appears. It's not fantastic, but it doesn't seem bad at all, either.

You do have to get a headset that takes well to an expanded soundstage, though. Your mileage will very with virtual surround depending on how well the headset deals with this. I recommend the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X. They don't have the base of the universally-recommended M50s, but they have better overall sound by a bit (or so most people seem to say), and they take better to virtual surround.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users