7 replies to this topic

#1 Broad5ide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

I, like I suspect many others, am on the fence about buying a clan pack. Even if UI 2.0 delivery goes smoothly I'm worried that too many have been driven off in rage induced frenzies. An active player count element in the UI or a Command Chair post on the health of the community with actual current statistics in it would go a long way in quelling fears and bringing in purchases.

#2 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Or would it have the opposite effect....

^_^

#3 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

They have repeatedly stated that they are doing quite well (mostly on various podcasts, NGNG and others), you can choose to believe them or not (its understandable if you don't they are a business after all). They have also stated that they don't want to show the raw numbers because they can be used by their competitors (business intel) and they can be misinterpreted by the public.

Bryan has stated that they could show the public a number and the community will state "OMG they are totally fail!" while they could show that same number to investors and experts and they will be quite pleased. They are only going to show numbers that are undeniably good. You could also see that fact that they have posted few numbers that are undeniably good as also a sign they aren't a runaway success if you chose to. They just renewed their license with Microsoft and if you've ever had experience with licensing you know that this generally means that Microsoft likes what they see from a financial point of view.

#4 Time at the Position

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

View PostSteven Dixon, on 30 December 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

They have repeatedly stated that they are doing quite well (mostly on various podcasts, NGNG and others), you can choose to believe them or not (its understandable if you don't they are a business after all). They have also stated that they don't want to show the raw numbers because they can be used by their competitors (business intel) and they can be misinterpreted by the public.

Bryan has stated that they could show the public a number and the community will state "OMG they are totally fail!" while they could show that same number to investors and experts and they will be quite pleased. They are only going to show numbers that are undeniably good. You could also see that fact that they have posted few numbers that are undeniably good as also a sign they aren't a runaway success if you chose to. They just renewed their license with Microsoft and if you've ever had experience with licensing you know that this generally means that Microsoft likes what they see from a financial point of view.

Or maybe Microsoft doesn't care about the licence since they just sit back and make money, its not like there are any other developers offering Microsoft any money.
Also Bryan says a lot of things most of which are a skewed version of the truth.

Edited by Time at the Position, 30 December 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#5 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

View PostTime at the Position, on 30 December 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

Also Bryan says a lot of things most of which are a skewed version of the truth.

Unlike everyone else on this planet? Unless it's a politician; then its just lies.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 30 December 2013 - 12:09 AM.

#6 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

View PostTime at the Position, on 30 December 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

Or maybe Microsoft doesn't care about the licence since they just sit back and make money, its not like there are any other developers offering Microsoft any money.

This is a valid point and one I'm aware of. Most companies treat their licensed IPs like their children being left with a nanny. If their is any hint of mistreatment or neglect you will yank back your child and find another nanny. But Battletech was an adopted child and Microsoft are pretty neglectful parents.

It is entirely possible that Microsoft really doesn't much care and really has no other options, its either PGI or let the IP sit in the closet for another decade. Its also possible that PGI is doing terribly and is about to go out of business. I really don't think so but we really have no actual proof either way and we never will. As I stated, you can believe them when they say they are doing well or not. That's all it really comes down to, and even then its just our opinions. I believe them (and I do understand a thing or two about corporate BS), but I don't blame anyone if they choose not to believe them. We wont get any actual data and most of us wouldn't be able to properly interpret it anyways.

To the OP, if you are worried about the game shutting down soon, online games like this usually can last quite a long time, even if they only have a very small user base. Sure they won't have much money for development so you wouldn't get many new mechs or maps, ect but it will still go on. This game will probably realistically shut down when Microsoft pulls the licenses which at least won't be for a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see this game last at least 5-10 years (even if it actually isn't doing very well).

#7 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

Back in Closed Beta there was an Online User count right about where the GXP listing is now. They took it out.

#8 torgian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

Considering that they are hiring new people, or at least attempting to, I would imagine that they must be making some amount of money. Otherwise you wouldn't see them trying to hire people.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users