My Victor, First 'mech

41 replies to this topic

#21 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

The Unknown Pilot good choice on the Victors. I play them more than any other mech and own all 4 varients. And I have a lot of drops in them. So here are my few suggestions.

1. Get three of them so you can elite the speed as soon as possible. The speed tweek makes a huge difference.

2. If you are using it as a high alpha brawler use 4 jump jets. With good speed, 4 jump jets and goot piloting you can make people miss you a lot. (Most of mine go 80kph+ with speed tweek and have 4 jump jets.) This works if you are fighting close in. At 300 out jumping does not do as much to make them miss. But up close you can shoot some one then jump right when they go to shoot to make them miss. Then shoot them again then jump over them and get behind them. Then use your speed to go around them etc. But this does not work if you are going say 68 with 1 or 2 jump jets. Also as mentioned this works better with a high apha built. That way you can do one big alpa shot then move to avoid being hit. Then repeat.

3. Do not try to make the Victor a Highlander or an Atlas. It makes no sense to make a Victor go slow like an Atlas. If you are only going to be going 64 then just get an Atlas or a highlander. Same thing to all your heavy pilots with super super slow mechs :D

4. Learn how to be an effective Victor pilot. The Victor is very good at some things. But they all need a good piloting skills. While all mechs need good piloting skills some mechs are more forgiving of this. But a Victor shines more than some with the right skills. Its has a wonderful combination of armor, firepower and maneuverability that is hard to beat if piloted correctly and built correctly.

5. Figure out your style of play and build around it. You can do really well as a jump sniper if you like that game play. But you need a mech made for it and you need to be good at doing it. Same is true for a high DPS 2 AC5 1 AC2 build. It work really well but you need to have a good loadout and the correct playstyle for it. And also the high alpha build like I mentioned. Does wonders upclose but you have to have the right built and play style for it to work right.

6. Remember you will get a tone of advice and a lot of it will be terrible. Your best best it to test things and logically work out your best build and play style.

7. Practice. Practice firing while flying in all directions using your jumpjets. Practice twisting your torso to spread damage. Practice targeting one part of a mech. Practice protecting parts of your mech. Practice controlling heat. Practice thinking about where all the other mechs are and their lines of fire and where they are moving to etc. Practicing watching the bigger battle and knowing objectives. Then practice doing it all at the same time :D

8. Learn from your mistakes.

9. Join a group and use teamspeak.

10. Have fun and enjoy your Victors and remember its just a game.

Here are some fun builds.

High speed close in brawler. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...352ed0b98e67599

Medium speed brawler. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9e937a48c222ce6

High DPS build. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e5350de07931890

Poptart build. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...131324018ccf775

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 03 January 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#22 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

All your guys builds are focused on high alpha's, meta builds. There's 3 ballistic slots for a reason, may want to try something other than a ac20. Specially when you can do more damage than a ac20 could and have better range, if your aim doesn't blow.

Here's my current
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c7cde4bbede9098
or this, no missles and more armor/ammo http://mwo.smurfy-ne...74c5ab60ba62c52
(accidentally put a pulse instead of a reg mlas)

and here's the last game I played
Posted Image

Edited by lsp, 05 January 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#23 Drathius

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hey Gents

My first mech was a Jenner D after a few days of gameplay and man I do like the speed play. With that in mind I saw that the Victors I sparred with in games were very quick and while the Jenner is good fun I want something with more punch.

I went with VTR-9B.

2x AC5
Endosteel
Fair heavy armor on CT and arms
JJ 4 for manuevering
AMS
2 ER LL - primarily to range match with AC5
LRM10
LRM5
XL370

Any tips would be helpful. This will be my first own mech above light class and price is not my friend. I like the ballistics and AC5 seemed to offer best match for my game play style.

Cheers
Drathius

Edited by Drathius, 05 January 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#24 N0t Me

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostDrathius, on 05 January 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

Hey Gents

My first mech was a Jenner D after a few days of gameplay and man I do like the speed play. With that in mind I saw that the Victors I sparred with in games were very quick and while the Jenner is good fun I want something with more punch.

I went with VTR-9B.

2x AC5
Endosteel
Fair heavy armor on CT and arms
JJ 4 for manuevering
AMS
2 ER LL - primarily to range match with AC5
LRM10
LRM5
XL370

Any tips would be helpful. This will be my first own mech above light class and price is not my friend. I like the ballistics and AC5 seemed to offer best match for my game play style.

Cheers
Drathius

way too light on armor, victor is a pretty big target and with that kind of armor you can get 1shotted by alot of stuff, i know the victor is fast and everything but its not THAT fast

#25 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 31 December 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Yes, and if it's my Atlas-DDC you'll be partaking in a 66 pt alpha directly to the CT shortly there-after. ;)

AS7-D-DC

Remove the artemis and that config fits in a -9S Victor. True Story. :D

#26 Drathius

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostN0t Me, on 05 January 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

way too light on armor, victor is a pretty big target and with that kind of armor you can get 1shotted by alot of stuff, i know the victor is fast and everything but its not THAT fast

Strange I thought it was fairly well armored. I modified it a bit, dropping the LRM and AC5 ammo which was a bit much. VTR-9B
Better?

Edited by Drathius, 06 January 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#27 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostDrathius, on 06 January 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

Strange I thought it was fairly well armored. I modified it a bit, dropping the LRM and AC5 ammo which was a bit much. VTR-9B
Better?

OMG, ER LLs and LRMs on a Victor. What abomination hath thou wrought? :P :rolleyes: :D :huh:

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 06 January 2014 - 06:39 PM.

#28 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 06 January 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

OMG, ER LLs and LRMs on a Victor. What abomination hath thou wrought? :P :rolleyes: :D :huh:

Dunno, when I see an 80 ton building leap at me over 82kph, anything coming outta that monstrosity, makes my cooling vest get 14 degrees colder...

*** Just curious:

Would this mech with the engine I own, be a good high-rise assassin?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...36c73a9c486cb1f

Edited by The Unknown Pilot, 06 January 2014 - 08:31 PM.

#29 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

View PostValdnadHartagga, on 01 January 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

I was joking when I put this together:

VTR-9B Drac Shocker

But first match out, 500+ damage! I just wandered into furballs, parked myself next to the slowest enemy 'Mech, and sanded away. I chewed through two DDCs in a row, starting at the arm and working all the way to the creamy nougat. Misery? Just get in the blind spot and it's toast. It has some problems in ranged combat (did not fare well on Tourmaline), but it's turning out to be fun as hell. Plus my heavy hitters are in the left arm, which people don't expect.

You want "rugged," with my engine it just went beast mode!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4396d099886ab1c

Or this!!!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...560af91ac796152

Edited by The Unknown Pilot, 06 January 2014 - 10:14 PM.

#30 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

SRMs are broken right now. Go SSRM or drop them entirely.

the 9B is characterised by its 3 Ballistics hardpoints. Not using them is kind of a waste of potential.

A mix of autocannons is a more characteristic 9B build. I run 2xAC2/1xAC5 myself. A single AC build is better on the 9S or 9K as you get more missile or energy hardpoints

#31 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:37 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 06 January 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

SRMs are broken right now. Go SSRM or drop them entirely.

the 9B is characterised by its 3 Ballistics hardpoints. Not using them is kind of a waste of potential.

A mix of autocannons is a more characteristic 9B build. I run 2xAC2/1xAC5 myself. A single AC build is better on the 9S or 9K as you get more missile or energy hardpoints

Something like this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...04f8d9b25a15f73

Edited by The Unknown Pilot, 07 January 2014 - 06:38 AM.

#32 Drathius

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fb2796d6cea2146
I went ER LL due to range matching with the AC5 and LRM's. Instead of ZOMGWTF you do! perhaps an alternative suggestion. Previous poster never gave me any problems except for armor being too slim so I beefed armor.

There's 2 missile and 2 Energy points so LRM's seemed useful for range. Should I go with SRM, perhaps streaks due to victor speed and brawling? What energy weaps besides ERLL could i use? ML and below are too light and I hear PPC are meh.

Some constructive suggestions please as I will be spending a lot on this setup and I've only been playing 3 days.

#33 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

You will need 4 tons of ammo (or more) for those AC/5s or you will be out of ammo very early on. Regarding LRMs, I have no experience personally, so I bump this hoping you get some educated more opinions.

Happy Hunting! ;)

#34 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostDrathius, on 07 January 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fb2796d6cea2146
I went ER LL due to range matching with the AC5 and LRM's. Instead of ZOMGWTF you do! perhaps an alternative suggestion. Previous poster never gave me any problems except for armor being too slim so I beefed armor.

Haha I was not being serious. I guess humor gets lost sometimes on the internet. :lol:

There's 2 missile and 2 Energy points so LRM's seemed useful for range. Should I go with SRM, perhaps streaks due to victor speed and brawling? What energy weaps besides ERLL could i use? ML and below are too light and I hear PPC are meh.

Some constructive suggestions please as I will be spending a lot on this setup and I've only been playing 3 days.

Here's the thing. You have to think about how you are actually going to play this mech against other people who will be shooting back.

You only have 180 LRMs (2 pts damage each) and 60 AC/5 shots (5 pts damage each) for a total of 660 points of damage. That sounds like a lot until you realize that most LRM shots actually miss. My LRM accuracy is about 30% if I remember right. So 180 LRMs gives you about 120 pts of damage. Even less if there are lots of AMS carriers on the other team.

Then you have 60 shots of AC/5, but you have 2 AC/5s firing 2 shots every 1.5 seconds. That gives you 30 shots, meaning that you will have expended all of your ammo after just 45 seconds of fighting.

There are two ways of using AC/5s. You can try to use them at longer ranges in conjunction with your lasers, but the AC/5 shots will be landing all over the enemy mechs, meaning it's not doing a lot of damage to any one component.

Then your lasers can help, but the problem is that it's also hard to hold the laser on a single enemy component from a long distance away. Now, if the enemy is moving, then you have to lead him with your AC/5, but you cannot lead him with your laser. So now you have to shoot your AC/5s, stop, shoot your lasers, stop, shoot your AC/5s.

During the entire time you cannot torso twist to use your arms as shields. You have to face the enemy, exposing your very vulnerable side torsos.

On top of that, you don't have enough heat sinks to keep you firing the weapons you have at a high enough rate to suppress any enemy you face.

So yeah, it's not a good build.

Remember, you don't have to use every hardpoint. Some times removing a weapon is more helpful than adding one.

#35 Airu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

My favorite victor build, good for 1v1 or with team support otherwise verrry bad :lol:
VTR-9S

Edited by Airu, 07 January 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#36 Drathius

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 07 January 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

Haha I was not being serious. I guess humor gets lost sometimes on the internet. :(

Thanks Jiggly. Just what I was looking for. Didnt lose humour just want some good info. Your post was spot on!

Thanks!

#37 Drathius

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:54 AM

Ok based on Jiggly's tender mercies I have completely re-designed the Victor fit, to VTR-9B it drops LRM's for streaks close in, and lasers for an AC/2 in addition to a lot more armor and an AMS.

Let me know if this is a step in the right direction.

#38 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

So, I'd recommend using builds where you max out the upper body armor because as an assault you will get shot A LOT.

On legs, I recommend at least 45 on each leg, because the first thing that light mechs will try to do is to leg you.

Other than that try to see if you are happy with 2 JJs vs 4, because you kind of reach point of diminishing returns with 2.

Last point, try to put all of your ammo in either your cockpit or your legs, because the ammo can explode and kill you when some one hits it. So, on your build, for example, you can stick your heatsinks in your engine to free up 6 slots, then stick your JJs in your side torsos, now put your ammo in your legs. This would make your mech a lot less vulnerable.

Oh, also, don't forget to bring ammo for the AC/2 and the AMS. For AMS one ton is more than enough. For AC/2 though one ton will go QUICK.

Generally for the Victor it's best if it fights at a distance with PPCs and AC/5 AC/10 or AC/20, but of course you don't have to be like everybody else. You can experiment and try out what you like!

Good luck and see you on the battlefield! ;)

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 08 January 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#39 Drathius

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:18 AM

Hi Jiggly

Once more a lot of good advice. I've maxed out the armor, dropped the LRM's for SSRM2 and dropped Lasers entirely and increased engine size, ammo capacity and armor. Gets me VTR-9B which I like the look of.

On the JJ query I will try 4 and reduce as needed.

Edited by Drathius, 09 January 2014 - 03:19 AM.

#40 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostDrathius, on 09 January 2014 - 03:18 AM, said:

Hi Jiggly

Once more a lot of good advice. I've maxed out the armor, dropped the LRM's for SSRM2 and dropped Lasers entirely and increased engine size, ammo capacity and armor. Gets me VTR-9B which I like the look of.

On the JJ query I will try 4 and reduce as needed.

So, on this mech, you can put the ammo you can't fit on your legs or in yoru cockpit on the arm where you are not carrying anything. With that and the addition of a CASE, you can limit the effect of any ammo explosions to that arm only.

Also, I think you don't need 2 tons of Streaks. SSRMs fire at a very low rate. You probably only need 1 ton in a match.

For armor, try out different combos of Front : Rear armor. Some people like to keep it 3 : 1 front vs. rear. Others like to keep it 4 : 1 or even more. It depends on how you play.

Lastly, you might try something like this:

VTR-9B

The dual UAC5s alone will give you plenty of dakka up close. The extra ppc can be fired with them from far away to give you a bit of extra long range punch. PPCs are also useful for disabling ecms.

Normally for the Victor people carry XL 350s and a heavier weapons loadout with 2 ppcs, but if you like the extra speed of the 385 this might work for you.

The most important part of your decision here is the engine. That cannot be swapped without a very heavy cost in C-bills. Once you figure that out, try swapping out different combos of lasers, ppcs, AC, etc to see how it goes.

Let us know how you like your builds!

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users