Jager - Arms And Side Torso

13 replies to this topic

#1 Pane1981

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

Does anyone elses Jagers arms and side torsos get destroyed to easily? It seems like I barely get hit and one side is done. I've upgraded armor and put cases in the side torsos, where the ammo is.

Anyone have any ideas? It's the JM6a

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Don't put ammo in side torsos. Use the head, legs, and arms.

In general, the Jager does have fairly wide side torso hitboxes. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though, because it gives the mech an actual weakness (outside of lacking JJs). It can pack an absurd amount of firepower onto its frame, so it had better be fragile. But don't worry, with the upcoming hitbox changes PGI is going to reduce this weakness by shrinking the sides and increasing the arms, so you'll get to carry insane firepower AND be a tank.

Edited by FupDup, 31 December 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#3 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

I always suggest maxing armor to begin any build

Also, consider redoing front and rear armor. 12 for the sides and 14 for the center lets you put a lot more points in the front. Be warned, though, only do this if you're comfortable with maneuvering against smaller, faster foes and are willing to risk getting blown out by unexpected flankers.

Finally, prioritize the legs and head for ammo, with the CT next. Only go for arms or side torsos if you can fit a CASE, and try to avoid both if you run an XL.

#4 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Focus firing a Jager's side torso is the best way to kill them, since shooting off an arm simply reduces the damage you are taking from ridiculous to painful. As a Jager pilot you need to be aware that you can't twist to avoid critical damage. The Jager is a fire support Mech - you use terrain and hills as your protection, not the Mech's armour.

#5 zztophat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 31 December 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Focus firing a Jager's side torso is the best way to kill them, since shooting off an arm simply reduces the damage you are taking from ridiculous to painful. As a Jager pilot you need to be aware that you can't twist to avoid critical damage. The Jager is a fire support Mech - you use terrain and hills as your protection, not the Mech's armour.

Exactly this, also, use your allied mech's armor.

Just make sure to shoot the enemy while you cower behind your team :rolleyes:

#6 Pane1981

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I transfered ammo to legs. A match I was in, Only my head, torso and one leg was left, but I didn't die, since I moved my ammo. I though that was funny. I'll just have to practice avoiding enemy fire.

#7 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

View PostPane1981, on 31 December 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback. I transfered ammo to legs. A match I was in, Only my head, torso and one leg was left, but I didn't die, since I moved my ammo. I though that was funny. I'll just have to practice avoiding enemy fire.

Yes it's left up to the imagination of the player as to exactly how all that ammo is fed into the guns from the legs :rolleyes: Once I even had a ton of streak SRM ammo explode... the ammo was in the head. For some reason, nothing untoward happened to my pilot!

Edited by RickySpanish, 01 January 2014 - 12:10 AM.

#8 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

I get the feeling people dont know how CASE works...

CASE only prevents ammo explosions from traveling beyond the section the CASE is in. If the explosion occurs in the same section the CASE is installed, it restricts the explosion to that section, preventing it from travelling to adjacent sections. If the explosion occurs in an arm, it will travel to the respective side torso and still deal damage (Damage transfer from destroyed sections to healthy adjacent ones is 50% in all situations). If that side torso has CASE, it will still be destroyed however the CASE will prevent any remaining damage from transferring to the CT... The ammo still explodes and deals full damage to the section it's in. Putting CASE in a side torso will not stop an ammo explosion in your arms from damaging/destroying the respective side torso meaning using CASE in an XL engine Mech is pointless.

All ammo explosion damage travels in a direct route to the CT; Leg explosions will travel to the respective side torso and, if there is enough damage remaining to be dealt, specifically to the CT... it will not damage the arm attached to that side torso.

Edited by DrxAbstract, 01 January 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#9 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

Nope I rock in my jm6-s, back armor gets destroyed easily, but that's a given. You getting singled out? Or mabye you don't have enough firepower onboard to make people not want to keep aggressing you? (triple uac5's tend to make people run away, or die)

Don't store ammo in the side torso, legs and head. And torso twist is y our friend.

#10 Rino88ex

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationnow on Italy

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

The shape and size of the sides of the torso JagerMech become very exposed sides thereof, are so large that they are a good target and get all shot.

Indeed sides are destroyed very, very easily. I think it's an obvious mistake.

That sort of T-shaped antenna is part of the front torso and remove votes armor units is another point and exposure to enemy fire. And what's worse, if JAGER means HUNTER, this is somewhat logical because a hunter is fast and agile, and JagerMech is the opposite and it has a very low turning ability.

I think they should reduce the damage to the sides and a small reduction in the central torso front and rear.

To me once, with 2 or 3 shots in the leg, causing their destruction, in turn caused my death, ridiculous!

#11 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 01 January 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

I get the feeling people dont know how CASE works...

CASE only prevents ammo explosions from traveling beyond the section the CASE is in. If the explosion occurs in the same section the CASE is installed, it restricts the explosion to that section, preventing it from travelling to adjacent sections. If the explosion occurs in an arm, it will travel to the respective side torso and still deal damage (Damage transfer from destroyed sections to healthy adjacent ones is 50% in all situations). If that side torso has CASE, it will still be destroyed however the CASE will prevent any remaining damage from transferring to the CT... The ammo still explodes and deals full damage to the section it's in. Putting CASE in a side torso will not stop an ammo explosion in your arms from damaging/destroying the respective side torso meaning using CASE in an XL engine Mech is pointless.

All ammo explosion damage travels in a direct route to the CT; Leg explosions will travel to the respective side torso and, if there is enough damage remaining to be dealt, specifically to the CT... it will not damage the arm attached to that side torso.

Does CASE in MWO work differently than CASE in tabletop? In tabletop, CASEing an XL is useful, as CASE redirects all explosion damage to the rear armor. If no rear armor remains, the explosion does nothing.

#12 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Also if you have more than 5 tons of ammo put it in your arms (if you have the room) as they are relativly small and mostly everyone targets the legs, and side torsos on jaegers.

#13 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostJosef Nader, on 14 January 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Does CASE in MWO work differently than CASE in tabletop? In tabletop, CASEing an XL is useful, as CASE redirects all explosion damage to the rear armor. If no rear armor remains, the explosion does nothing.

Apparently. In MWO, it just stops any excess explosion damage from transferring to the next section. So in a ST on an XL, completely useless.

#14 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostRino88ex, on 14 January 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

The shape and size of the sides of the torso JagerMech become very exposed sides thereof, are so large that they are a good target and get all shot.

Indeed sides are destroyed very, very easily. I think it's an obvious mistake.

That sort of T-shaped antenna is part of the front torso and remove votes armor units is another point and exposure to enemy fire. And what's worse, if JAGER means HUNTER, this is somewhat logical because a hunter is fast and agile, and JagerMech is the opposite and it has a very low turning ability.

I think they should reduce the damage to the sides and a small reduction in the central torso front and rear.

To me once, with 2 or 3 shots in the leg, causing their destruction, in turn caused my death, ridiculous!

Designed as an anti-aircraft platform and long-range fire support unit, the JagerMech was intended to correct several perceived faults of the original Rifleman. While it does address the Rifleman's heat issues and limited ammunition, it does so at the cost of significant armor protection. Carrying only a miserly six tons of standard armor, the JagerMech is very vulnerable to return fire. In its favor, the long range of its autocannons, combined with the excellent Garret D2jtargeting and tracking system (made famous by the Rifleman), make it a prime choice for anti-aircraft work. The range of its autocannons also allow it to engage many enemies without suffering return fire, and when stationary it is able to fire all its weapons without heat build-up.
Houses Davion and Liao field the largest numbers of JagerMechs, with House Davion being particularly fond of the design.

It was named that because it hunts aircraft and does long range fire support. In TT it has even weaker armor.

I tend to shoot them in the underarms since it is easy to kill them and if they have an xl engine they go pop. Easy to figure out what it is shooting at because like the catapults it has to face at what it shoots.

It is a gun platform though, so the high arms are the strength and the exposed sides are it's weakness.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users