Funky Gauss Platform?

13 replies to this topic

#1 REDERK23

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

What is the lightest or most agile Gauss carrier out there? JM-DD? K2? I don't care if it has nothing else, just extra ammo maybe :D

I use gauss a lot (a bit of a sport) but my preciouss Atlas feels a tad slow. And I prefer weapons mounted high as in K2 / JM.

Thank you for your co-operation.

#2 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Lightest? The Gauss Cicada 3M. Gauss, ECM, and runs over 130.

Shadowhawk, Centurians, Blackjacks, Hunchies and Trebs can mount a gauss too, with the Shadowhawk probably being the best combination of size and maneuverability for it.

Edited by Bront, 01 January 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#3 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:46 AM

For Gauss, Jags are going to be your best bet ; high mounted guns and reasonably mobile. You can run it as XL or STD, too.

The 3D is awful for it (The Gauss explodes and kills the whole 'mech); the Ilya isn't as good as a Jag due to the lower mounted guns, but is acceptable for a PUG cash grinder.

This is pretty much the Jag's one niche, so it's the king, though.

#4 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 02 January 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

For Gauss, Jags are going to be your best bet ; high mounted guns and reasonably mobile. You can run it as XL or STD, too.

The 3D is awful for it (The Gauss explodes and kills the whole 'mech); the Ilya isn't as good as a Jag due to the lower mounted guns, but is acceptable for a PUG cash grinder.

This is pretty much the Jag's one niche, so it's the king, though.

For Dual Gauss? Yes. Jags are probably the best for it. Single Gauss? Shadowhawk does it pretty well, and for the ninja sniper, the Cicada can do it well.

I'm not a huge fan of the Gauss though at the moment. Just hate the mechanic.

#5 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

the mecahnic can be mastered with little practice but the changes in the sound make the weapon almost unusable in combat situations. insetad of knowing by the sound when the weapon is ready to fire you need to count or look or whatever... cra.pp.y change imo.

#6 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

Lightest? Spider 5k Hollander clone http://mwo.smurfy-ne...76857ffc9c150e2

#7 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

View PostBront, on 02 January 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

For Dual Gauss? Yes. Jags are probably the best for it. Single Gauss? Shadowhawk does it pretty well, and for the ninja sniper, the Cicada can do it well.

I'm not a huge fan of the Gauss though at the moment. Just hate the mechanic.

I think most people don't like to run single Gauss anymore because of how poorly it syncs, so it's more of an "all in" gun. But yeah, the Shadow Hawk would do Gauss + ER PPC very well.

Edited by Victor Morson, 02 January 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#8 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Posted Image

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

#9 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PostREDERK23, on 01 January 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

What is the lightest or most agile Gauss carrier out there? JM-DD? K2? I don't care if it has nothing else, just extra ammo maybe ;)

I use gauss a lot (a bit of a sport) but my preciouss Atlas feels a tad slow. And I prefer weapons mounted high as in K2 / JM.

Thank you for your co-operation.

I would say from the best to worst Dual Gauss mech.
1. Jager - ANY
2. Cat K2
3. CTF 4X
4. CTF 3D

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

I have a Cicada 3C set up as a Hollander III, and it's done surprisingly well for what it's got, when used in that sneaky crafty way. It moves 90 KPH, has a single Gauss and a single med laser.

If you are interested in it, let me know and I'll post up the mech. (Can also be done on the 3M as well.)

If you are looking for a more reliable sniper with a single Gauss, I have to agree that the Shadowhawk is probably a good ride for it, as well as any ballistic Hunchback.

#11 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

Diablo Cricket

If they were to ever make the mistake of removing the 10 heat sink requirement for a rig, this would be the lightest possible Gauss carrier.

Completely impractical, but it would be the lightest.

#12 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

I run a BJ-1 Gaussjack.
Goes 90+kph for quick relocation, 40 shots of GR and 2 backup MLaz.
2 JJ to help getting up into sniping position or spread damage when caught.

#13 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

I run a gauss + 4 SSRM Shadow Hawk-2D2. The thing is a monster - I'm regularly pulling 700+ damage with 2-3 kills and another 3-5 assists with it.

Advanced zoom + gauss at range, SSRMs and BAP up close, or all of them in a thick brawl. I don't want to like it (I'm a bit of a TT purist, I don't want to like the gauss) but it's just stupid fun.

Edited by Buckminster, 02 January 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#14 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostShinVector, on 02 January 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

I would say from the best to worst Dual Gauss mech.
1. Jager - ANY
2. Cat K2
3. CTF 4X
4. CTF 3D

This list is accurate.

The 3D is a great 'mech, but terrible to run twin Gauss on. It's great firepower, don't get me wrong (I loved the jumping abilities with it) but it explodes easier than a balloon in a razor blade factory.

View PostBuckminster, on 02 January 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

I run a gauss + 4 SSRM Shadow Hawk-2D2. The thing is a monster - I'm regularly pulling 700+ damage with 2-3 kills and another 3-5 assists with it.

Advanced zoom + gauss at range, SSRMs and BAP up close, or all of them in a thick brawl. I don't want to like it (I'm a bit of a TT purist, I don't want to like the gauss) but it's just stupid fun.

If you ever want to try an even more effective twist on that config, try running 2 AC/5 with 3 Streak/2. It's an absolutely brutal config that works well at blasting heavies (Maining with the AC/5s) or blasting lights/mediums that get too close (Maining with the Streak/2s).

It's really good in pugs in particular, since it gives you flexibility to handle any kind of fight.

Edited by Victor Morson, 03 January 2014 - 01:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users