- - - - -

So Really No Reason To Pick A Faction Yet?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationLike I would tell you!

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

So, going to be starting this weekend (see other posts..) and from what I can gather there is not really a reason for picking a faction yet as ye o'l community warfare is not banging.

Is that correct?

So no real problem with me being a dirty dirty merc for the time being?

#2 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

Pretty much. It'll supposedly have an effect once Community Warfare comes on board, but until we know what that is, I'm staying a filthy merc.

#3 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

TL:DR

NOPE!

#4 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Fyi, there is also nothing wrong with being a dirty dirty merc (I take a shower btw so I'm not dirty, but I am a merc), and also having a faction. I might be Kuritan in heart/ body, fighting for a Merc unit that flies an FRR flag, but don't let that stop you.

The faction or choice there of is for role play/ finding a group of like minded people. Read though them, find one you like and find people you like, you might be surprised, way back when, I started I wanted to be a Japanese soldier, fighting for the house, but as the game progressed I didn't want to be an unwashed mass, so my ideal changed, (I also got snubbed by some dcms units so I said screw them, and found people I liked, and played at the same times as me). My Ideal changed and my story along with it.

#5 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

I'm with Fluffy. Nothing wrong with flying a faction's colors while you wait on CW. I hardly think they'll have it be a hardcoded choice once it's activated, and it's not likely that they won't give some kind of heads up about it.

Being an Irishman, there's not really much of a fixed choice in where to go in the BT universe. As always, we fall in where we fall in. My particular backstory falls in the way of an Irish salvage family that tried to make it's fortune in FRR space.

Regardless, it's really just a matter of how much immersion you're aiming for. Dirty Merc, or Honorable (heh?) house guard. It's all good.

#6 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

View PostJonny Slam, on 03 January 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

So, going to be starting this weekend (see other posts..) and from what I can gather there is not really a reason for picking a faction yet as ye o'l community warfare is not banging.

Is that correct?

Nope...at least not until you can start earning 'loyalty' points. At that time I presume it will start making a difference.

***Edit for correction.

Edited by xMEPHISTOx, 03 January 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#7 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

There is not reason to pick a house. Most of us do it for fluffy bunny reasons.

Some day, in 2030, if this game is still around, PGI will deliver on the promised CW and then factions will matter.

#8 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Is that correct?

Well, if you pick Davion you'll get a cool avatar like mine. :ph34r:

#9 Myomes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

The idea was, back in 2012, that you would pick a house, fight for it, have some mech restrictions on what you could and couldnt use, unless you salvaged a mech from an enemy, there were repair and refit logistics to deal with, so you would lose money taking assaults or heavies, but gain money taking mediums or lights, and you would hop around from planet to planet, taking bases or destroying outposts or supply depots, thus hurting the other side.

They had an opportunity to do the whole succession wars bit, which is basically what we're doing now, but with some endgame content and progression behind it, instead, they keep trying to introduce skills and "levels" to give the game progression and "content", and they removed refit and repair, and Community warfare was pushed back at least six times by now, while gold mechs come out.

Basically, yes. Factions are a worthless pic that mean nothing because they don't modify your gameplay at all. You COULD get involved with premade groups that are doing their best to make their own versions of community warfare, similar to the way the old Mechwarrior 3 Leagues were set up. Those leagues in Mechwarrior 3 used the Microsoft lobby system to connect players through third party lobbies and sync them all together, and you joined a clan or a IS house, and then you'd be in light mechs, then rank up to being allowed to use mediums, heavies, and so on. There were bean counters for how much money your clan/IS house had, and thus, what selection of mechs you could field. There were rules for dropships in how much it costs to use them, how long it take a jumpship to travel between systems to get your mechs and gear somewhere, and spaceship powers in terms of having good defense/offense abilities to ward off enemy dropships from your space, or penetrate into enemy territory to drop mechs.

All of that was pretty much done for free by a league system implemented by non professionals.

#10 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Is that correct?

FTR, if you are a merc without a unit, then technically you are a Lone Wolf. Yes I know, sounds odd but....Mercs are mercs in a unit, Lone Wolves are mercs without a unit.

PS: Ignore Myomes whining and griping. He is pissed off about something (maybe the other one won't drop) and so he likes to twist the reality of the situation.

If you really care about the CW situation, there are plenty of posts around that sum it up much more accurately. If nothing else, read the latest announcements etc.

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 04 January 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#11 cbagg79

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationKilleen, TX

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

I have to say, I was kind of wondering about the same thing. I just started playing yesterday. I haven't touched the BattleTech universe in a long time (first and last game i owned was Mechwarrior 2, still one of my favorite games of all time), but i was a little shocked at how it seemed to be just drop in, kill as much as you can,, match over. I was hoping for something broader. I realize now that things are still being worked up. The last online game i played was Planetside. Honestly, it was pretty much the same deal, but there was more strategy to consider. If we took this planet here, we could jump to that planet there. It also suited itself more towards tactically thinking and specific roles for teams or individuals. I am looking forward to this game getting its feet under it though. Knowing there's a ton of lore out there for BT, I don't imagine they'll try to follow along those lines. I personally don't need a huge backstory to everything. I just want to see something that actually looks like some sort of warfare and not just ten minute deathmatches or king of the hill type stuff. Give us some missions. Can't wait for that.

#12 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

View Postcbagg79, on 04 January 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

I have to say, I was kind of wondering about the same thing. I just started playing yesterday. I haven't touched the BattleTech universe in a long time (first and last game i owned was Mechwarrior 2, still one of my favorite games of all time), but i was a little shocked at how it seemed to be just drop in, kill as much as you can,, match over. I was hoping for something broader. I realize now that things are still being worked up. The last online game i played was Planetside. Honestly, it was pretty much the same deal, but there was more strategy to consider. If we took this planet here, we could jump to that planet there. It also suited itself more towards tactically thinking and specific roles for teams or individuals. I am looking forward to this game getting its feet under it though. Knowing there's a ton of lore out there for BT, I don't imagine they'll try to follow along those lines. I personally don't need a huge backstory to everything. I just want to see something that actually looks like some sort of warfare and not just ten minute deathmatches or king of the hill type stuff. Give us some missions. Can't wait for that.

This game is a diamond in the rough as they say, lots of potential still, and the devs are working through some technical limits such as UI 2.0, so they are getting as much as they can done.

If you have the time, there's a lot of neat info in the Command Chair area.

Here is one about UI 2.0 in particular, and the history on getting that built up so far.

#13 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

Is that correct?

Yes, it's all flavor for now - once Community Warfare finally kicks off, there will be a point to faction standings.

#14 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

If I am not mistaken, they have mentioned that you can switch factions whenever you want (once a day I believe). Even when CW is going on. Your Loyalty points for House Kurita stay with Kurita if you decide to switch and go to Liao for example. You'll just start from scratch at Liao. Don't know if your points accumulated with Kurita will ever decline though. I'd guess blowing up their mechs should reduce loyalty, but we'll see about that

#15 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

ill stay lone wolf even if they launch cw

#16 cbagg79

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationKilleen, TX

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:30 AM

View Postsneeking, on 04 January 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

ill stay lone wolf even if they launch cw

Nothing like having EVERYONE trying to kill you. Certainly makes life more interesting.

#17 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:49 AM

that's what its all about, thats the social aspect right there ( generate hate make sure they remember your name )

#18 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

The only think of note is they are tracking factional data, so they could retroactively enact some loyalty points, but I doubt it.

#19 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

For the Dragon! ;)

#20 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationLike I would tell you!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

Arooooooooooooohhhhh! Arrooooooooouuuuhhhh!

Im a lone wolf.....

(so lonely, so sad....)

thanks for all the input folks, I look forward to killing each of you in the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users