9 replies to this topic

#1 Velba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 414 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA, USA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:05 AM

Hey guys, been stopping by the site here and there checking for beta updates and what have you, and the thought occured to me.

Can you kill the pilot of the mech, through the cockpit glass?

I know the balancing issue would set the game back 6 months, but if you think about it, it should be in there.
With all the different weapons out there, your telling me none of them can shoot through the cockpit glass? Why arent mechs just made of the stuff then?

I take it the area damage models in place could intergrate a cockpit hit zone, hitting the zone would tarnish, crack, burn, eventually break the glass killing the pilot, leaving the mech operational but dead in the water, still able to be killed and exploded causing minor damage (effectively a mine or extra cover) .

Just food for thought, I'll be stopping by to check for beta stuff, so feel free to leave the "**** N0o8" comments and I'll get back to you!!

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:11 AM

Cockpit kills have always been a part of the game series, no reason to believe it wouldn't be in... though your pilot won't die just eject I'd imagine since there's no permadeath.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 18 June 2012 - 05:12 AM.

#3 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

i'd be sad if it wasnt. i cant imagine a light mech getting a kill on an assault mech otherwise.

#4 PirateNixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

Cockpit shots have always been a thing on MW games... that being said, it's a small target that moves around alot, so good it takes some skill to hit it consistently.

#5 Point Blank

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 109 posts
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

I personally used to love sniping cockpits with double PPC's and a Light gauss rifle on my uziel, although I rather enjoyed Belial being able to equip duel clan light gauss rifles... Hopefully I'll find a new sniper mech!

#6 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:04 AM

Only have a problem with the "mechanics" of a head shot. Considering a cockpit hit -> we knew that cockpit glass is transparent armor. so that the whole mech could be constructed out of transparent armor. That is the reason why it is hardly possible to kill a Mad Cat with its large panorama canopy.
So a definition of a head shot is a critical failure caused by pilot dead by enemy fire. That could be the damaging of a leg causing a fall - causing structural damage of cockpit equipment. To have a "standard" hit zone that will cause instant dead sounds obscure and shouldn't be implemented at all.

#7 Velba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 414 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA, USA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 18 June 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

So a definition of a head shot is a critical failure caused by pilot dead by enemy fire. That could be the damaging of a leg causing a fall - causing structural damage of cockpit equipment. To have a "standard" hit zone that will cause instant dead sounds obscure and shouldn't be implemented at all.

By no means was the intent of this to be an "instant kill" hence the whole "I take it the area damage models in place could intergrate a cockpit hit zone, hitting the zone would tarnish, crack, burn, eventually break the glass killing the pilot" part

I should also add that I meant for the tarnish cracking burning to be shown on the cockpit in game, to obscure your view etc.

#8 Sychodemus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

The Victor Steiner-Davion Act of 3067 prohibits pilot death from headshots in 'Mech shooters.

#9 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

View PostSychodemus, on 18 June 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

The Victor Steiner-Davion Act of 3067 prohibits pilot death from headshots in 'Mech shooters.

Only if you are a dwarf

#10 Nairdowell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 193 posts
  • LocationDeep in my hidden lab, atop a mountain, somewhere in the backwoods of Tennessee, USA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:35 AM

Then he can't reach the pedals..... wothout blocks that is... lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users