Which Atlas?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Marcus Valerius1

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

Hi everyone, first post on here.

I've read a bunch of articles now on the Atlas, I had been saving up to buy the Atlas AS7-K build partly due to ER-LL's plus LRM's etc. Seemed to be a decent idea for a long range missile boat/sniper.

However after reading a bunch of threads everyone seems to hate the K but I also noticed that all of those posts are from almost a year ago.

So with nearly 13.6 million credits in the bank and access to every buyable mech (short of using real money) what should I go with in the Atlas family?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

DDC.

This is not even a discussion.

#3 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Firstly, I hope you did your Cadet Bonus already. Secondly, AS7-DDC>AS7-RS>AS7-D>AS7-K. Atlas DDC has it's good ECM and a sellable command console. Atlas RS has arm lasers and best at that role. Atlas D is an all-rounder and can do major things well. Atlas K is just terrible. At first, I really wanted it because it had dual AMS and started with one of the best engines. Now... I figured it sucked. It's hardpoints are basically a worse AS7-D. It needs a large buff.

#4 Lockgor

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

The K is, by far, the worst Atlas. The D-DC is the best chassis.However, if you want to run a long range missile boat/sniper you may be better served looking elsewhere. The Atlas does not fit that role well at all.

#5 Marcus Valerius1

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

Perhaps I'm looking at the Atlas in the wrong light. I just started playing a couple days ago and haven't played a game like this since MechWarrior 2.

In any case I'm still learning rapidly about various roles/strategies in online play. I take it the Atlas is more of a front line charge in, soak up damage and pound the other mechs down? Trying to get some reading in between playing.

And I'm not sure what was meant by the Cadet Bonus so I'm gonna say probably not...

#6 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

I've been avoiding an AS7 (holding out for the miracles of a MAD II, IMP or ANH), but it sounds like I'll definitely need to test an AS7-K.

#7 Pac Man

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Cadet Bonus - First 25 matches you play will net you an extra load of money. If you've played 25 matches, you've got your bonus.

Atlai:

DDC is your tactical 'Mech. People follow these around, and basically go where ever they go. Two DDCs will cause 10 PUGs to follow you like you're the soccer ball at a 6 year-old soccer match. The builds for this 'Mech usually involve close in damage.

RS is your enduring 'Mech, it's loadouts generally favor someone with some patience who wants to put damage down range, while not being the guy in the back. It takes the damage like an Atlas should, but has the Hardpoints that favor things like twin Larges in the hands, etc.

The D. It's a brawler, most builds revolve around it getting within 270m and unloading Alpha strikes into torsos. Some builds have it dishing out upwards of 70 damage an Alpha strike.

All in all, the Atlas builds can be swapped around no problem, but the most effective builds are the roles outlined above. Choose the one that fits you. You'll notice there isn't a place for the K, because the K is just a worse version of the D. Don't buy it.

#8 Lockgor

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

View PostMarcus Valerius1, on 04 January 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

Perhaps I'm looking at the Atlas in the wrong light. I just started playing a couple days ago and haven't played a game like this since MechWarrior 2.

In any case I'm still learning rapidly about various roles/strategies in online play. I take it the Atlas is more of a front line charge in, soak up damage and pound the other mechs down? Trying to get some reading in between playing.

That is more-or-less what the Atlas does. Its a mixed weapon system platform with relatively few hard points and no jump jets, which tends to lean the mech in favor of close-range engagements. Its high armor, large profile, and potential for mounting heavier weapon systems; tends to make it a priority target for enemy mech's. A front line role is what the Atlas does best. Though, its a thankless job, and a risky one; and one that is becoming increasingly difficult for a number of reasons. I once considered myself an Atlas pilot, but I rarely take either of my AS7-D-DC's out these days (I sold my K first, and eventually sold my D to buy another D-DC for off-builds). When I do, the results are inconsistent. If you want to take a fire-support role, I would recommend trying the Victor. All three variants have a place, and the chassis can be outfitted a number of ways and be competitive. The Atlas, with its low-hanging weapons, large profile, slow speed, lack of jump jets, limited ability to carry redundant weapon systems, compulsory standard engine, and so on; makes it a poor choice for long-range fire support. Or, at the very least, a sub-optimal one.

#9 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

The K is still bad. DO NOT pay for an expensive engine you will not use. The DDC consensus is correct.

#10 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

RS is not necessarily better than D. RS' arm lasers don't justify when D has two ballistic hardpoints.

#11 Tuann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 203 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard, with a beer, chocolate and waffles

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

DDC

Amen.

#12 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:31 AM

ddc because ecm is op.

#13 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:36 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 05 January 2014 - 01:07 AM, said:

RS is not necessarily better than D. RS' arm lasers don't justify when D has two ballistic hardpoints.

An Atlas revolves around an AC/20. So yeah, four large lasers plus an AC/20 is a better build, therefore the RS is superior to the D. Stray dual LBX or UAC5 builds don't count, even though even I admit they can be fun.

#14 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

If you want the "best" atlas get the DDC.
ECM gives it a huge advantage over the other atlas variants.

The D and the RS are both fine, but somewhat situational.

The D has 2 CT energy hardpoints, which means it can zombie to a certain extent and has 2 ballistic hardpoints (which means you could go for some dual ac builds if you want)
The RS has 4 arm energy points, so you could use 4 ll+ac20 if you like to (watch the ghostheat).

The DDC is really the "jack of all trades" atlas. There are quite a few "standard" builds for it, most of them are suited for mid- close range. You COULD even play a DDC missile boat, but you will soon realize that DDC missile boats aren't well-liked. People want to see this thing in the heat of the battle and not 800m away spaming lrm.

Do not buy the K. Ever. Well maybe if someone threatens you with a gun. But even then only maybe. Seriously don't buy it.

Edit:
Keep in mind:
If you want to get the elite pilot skills (which you should), you will have to buy 3 atlas anyway.

I would go for the DDC first, then the RS and K (whatever you like better first)
What i told a buddy of mine when he started the game and piloted an atlas:

1) DDC with standard midrange build: 2LL, AC20, 3x Srm6
2) D with a "dakka build": 2LL, 2 ML, 2AC5 and some srm.
3) RS with 4LL and a AC20.

He loved the different style the 3 atlas have, and pilots another one every 2nd match.

Edited by meteorol, 05 January 2014 - 01:48 AM.

#15 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:38 AM

The K works as a demonstration of AMS power. I would recommend it as the third Atlas, provided you plan on buying other mechs to use the XL300 engine in. The stock config is a death trap.

#16 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:02 AM

View PostMarcus Valerius1, on 04 January 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

I've read a bunch of articles now on the Atlas, I had been saving up to buy the Atlas AS7-K build partly due to ER-LL's plus LRM's etc. Seemed to be a decent idea for a long range missile boat/sniper.

However after reading a bunch of threads everyone seems to hate the K but I also noticed that all of those posts are from almost a year ago.

So with nearly 13.6 million credits in the bank and access to every buyable mech (short of using real money) what should I go with in the Atlas family?

I would not recommend the Atlas for LRMs. For example, the DDC has 10,5,5 missle tubes. This means if you build in a LRM 20 it will fire two salvos a 10 missiles. If you build 2 LRM 20 it will fire 2 salvos a 10 missiles and 4 salvos a 5 missiles.

However, to overcome AMS you want to fire as many missiles as possible together (unless you want to run a Troll build with 6x LRM5 to chain fire).

In addition, LRMs use alot of tons. The weapon wight is very high but you will also need alot of ammunition (with 40 missle slots e.g. 2x LRM20 you want at least ~1400 ammunition). To be effective with LRMs you need to focus on LRMs which leave the Atlas quite unarmed because it has only a few energy hardoints to mount medium lasers and too less missle hardpoints to mount streaks.

If you want a LRM mech, I would suggest the Jagermech, the Catapult ore the Awesome.

Edit: Forgot of course the Stalker as the best missile boat in game.

Edited by xe N on, 05 January 2014 - 02:09 AM.

#17 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

The Stalker is hands down the best assault class missile boat, discounting the walking mattress that is the Awesome.

#18 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

View PostMarcus Valerius1, on 04 January 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

All of them, and lrm boating atali are for those that can't hit a barn door from the inside, whack a 350-360 std in them and brawl the *** off things

#19 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:27 AM

View PostRakshasas, on 05 January 2014 - 01:54 AM, said:

The K is not the worst just need to know how to drive it

STD 300 2 x AMS 3 x LL and a Gauss, it rarely overheats even with constant firing.

I wasn't sniping either

Posted Image

You could use that build on a D, or just use a RS with 4LL and a gauss. (minus 1 ams)
The ONLY advantage the K has is the 2nd AMS. If you prefer a 2nd AMS to a 2nd balistic AND missile slot, then yes, the K is not the worst of them.

The thing is: The D can use every build you could use on the K, minus 1 ams. The K has 2 hardpoints less, reducing the possible builds it can use compared to the D.
Compared to the RS it has CT energy hardpoints, which basically forces it to go 1LL or 2ml, 4LL is not possible, and 1 less missile hardpoint.

In my eyes one more AMS is not a good trade for all those shortcomings. The K is not a bad mech in general, it's just worse than the other variants.

#20 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

Please dont listen to the forum hyperbole about the K.

"K is the worst!"

C'mon man, worst Atlas. it's a dang Atlas! there is no "worst" it's like this:

You are at a bakery, and in one of the cases there are all sorts of fantastic pies. Pies galore, pies of all different types. Someone walks up next to you, and asks "which pie is best?" Of course you will have a favorite. however, would you point at one or two, say "those are the best" and then point at another and say "that is the worst pie." I mean, c'mon man! It's pie, so it can't be "worst" it can only be "maybe not my favorite".

So it is with Atlas. I bought the D, the K, and the RS. I held off on the DDC because well, I held off on one variant of quite a few chassis, partly to "save one for later" and partly to be able to have a fresh one in case some game change or some such came up. DDC= an Atlas D with ECM, essentially. ECM is not to be discounted, in fact it is 80% of the hardcore forumites argument about DDC superiority. So there is that. However, it is only one mech with ECM, so you will need to run two non ECM variants to elite/master out even the DDC. So, in this regard then, I generally look at the ECM capability as moot when comparing the chassis, because while ECm is a significant tool, when choosing loadouts or playstlyes for an Atlas, ECM is not 90% of the consideration.

To look at the Atlas, we must also look first to playstyle of the chassis, it's strength and weakness. It is tough. Yet, it falls to focus fire just as the rest do, it is not some balwark tank for your team. It is not particularily maneuverable, lights can pick at it, and worst of all, you MUST be extremely aware of the battlefield to pilot this thing well. Atlas is not some 100 ton easy mode, it is in fact more difficult to pilot well then pretty well 75% of the heavy mechs, and most other assaults. Awareness of team and enemy position, as well as who is shooting who, and where you are on the map is make or break for the Atlas.

you see, if you arent aware of these, your enemy will focus you because you got into a bad position. your team will leave you behind, because yuo are slower then them, and then yuo have a problem. you can get caught by snipers or LRM fire trying to regroup to a faster team, or move to focus down an enemy to far from where you are.

There is another myth around the atlas=tank mindset: you are not a tank, therefore you should not charge in and eat everyone's alpha.

Go watch on youtube: Mechwarrior 3 intro, and then also the mechwarrior 5/reboot trailer.

Interception successful. thats the name of the game. you really need to let your speedy friends locate foes for you, and try to conceal your presence until the opportune time. because, once the enemy sees you, they MUST react. they must either fight, or flee. You cant just ignore the Atlas. Atlas, isnt going anywhere fast, so you have to deal with it, by either telling your pals(even through targeting) so they can help, or flank, or avoid Atlas. What you want to do, is BLOW THAT GUY TO BITS when he discovers you. make him pay dearly for his sloppy recon or positioning skills. Interception successful.

Perhaps at a point in the match, it is required for you to leverage your indomitable, impossible to ignore, imposing figure on the field. Team getting flanked? Defeat looks certain if nothing changes? your lance of mediums or heavy is getting pounded by the enemy? Time to role out like optimus prime and get some attention.

Atlas is a game changer in the right hands. it is a game changer in the wrong hands also, as teams trust their Atlas pilots to not be total washouts, not to march into the enemy and get blasted in 20 seconds, not to be "ubersnipers" or ....shudders....LRM boats. Dont get me wrong, it is OK to put a LRM on your atlas. I ran a LRM 20 on my K to soften enemy and help with area denial. Plus, they do actually still do dmg at 200M, its not like having a LRM on your mech suddenly means you ignore the launcher within 600M. But when you take a ECM DDC and stand at 990M and spam LRM into a hill, your team weeps for your lack of skill, and trys to ignore you out of shame.

Be smart about where you trod. be smart about where the enemy is, and where your team is, and what both are up to. Dont act, or more importantly move, before deciding if it is a good idea or not. Other mechs can back out of a bad situation(sometimes not so easy) but an atlas commits 100% to whatever it is doing, all the time.

I dont usually recomend Atlas for anyone new, because of this. However, if you have decided on one already, so be it.

All are good. K generally has the more mixed range loadouts. D and DDC tend to be up close brawlers, RS is a mid range/short range fighter. Boars head, well I didnt buy it yet, but I imagine brawler with ML arms. Put dual AMS on the K, why wouldnt you? Dont run XL in an Atlas, at least not for a long time. So consider that when you buy a K, you will have to also buy a Std engine for it. This is because, 90% of players will instinctively aim at right torso when they see you to try to disarm you. Mostly, because trying to outright core out an Atlas without a lot of help means the Atlas will win the dual even if uyou severely dmg it. This isnt the worst outcome, but most people value not dying, and it is easier to blast the torso and run then try to duke it out for the kill outright. Atlas likes AC20, because he can carry the tons, and has a Std engine anyway.

One last thing, when you see another Atlas, is it an unwritten rule you must close the distance and give him a glorious deathhug. Sometimes he deathhugs you, but either way. i am kidding actually, but you would be surprised how often this happens.

Enjoy the Atlas, ALL of them! "Worst" Atlas is just a myth.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users