- - - - -

Bad For New Players? I Think Not.

82 replies to this topic

#1 xNitr0x

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

Hello Folks!

I'm a relatively new player and have stalked the forums a fair bit, getting build ideas or learning about the mechanics of the game, and I've enjoyed every minute of it (except those one shot ac/20 kills in my Jenner!).

All in all I'm pretty dissapointed by alot of the content on these forums, mainly the veteran players that spout their negative opinions and BS on any given thread just to, well who knows. As most people who play online games knows, forums are where about 5% of the playerbase come to have a cry because of >Insert whinge of the day here<. Sorry guys but you. dont. matter. Now usualy I couldn't care less what the sooky trolls carry on about (yes I know PGI promised this and that and screwed you etc etc etc.) but in the new player forum (look at some of the {Scrap} posted in that pointless "Uninstall" thread)? Really? If its that bad, why bother coming here to have a sulk? Noone but the trolls care. Move on.

As far as my experience goes, the negativity from you blokes is the biggest issue for new players.

As far as learning the game is concerned from a new players perspective, sure, it's not perfect, far from it, but it's not hard by any means. Since when do people not search the internet if they're having trouble with a game, or anything for that matter.

There's a guide on here I downloaded that was fantastic! It was out of date but had everything anyone needed to get going and it's all I used. If any new players see this go take a look, Beginners Guide to MW:O, it's stickied in new player help.

I would like to thank all the guys that have helped people out with all the help, crazy graphs and in depth analysis of various mechanics. I've seen so much great info my brain hurts. Some of it even helped me get a few 900+ damage games in my day old CTF-3D today!

So to you helpful chaps, thanks alot. Sooks and trolls, thanks for......wasting peoples time by having to scroll past your drivel. New players, hopefuly you have as much fun as I have but if not, just move on guys, different strokes for different folks and all that.

Flame on

#2 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:24 AM

Welcome to the game and it's nice to hear from a new player that likes the game.

As far as the uninstall thread goes I'm surprised it hasn't been moved because it's not relevant to new players learning the game.

And as far as scoring 900+ damage goes that's damn nice.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 07 January 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#3 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

the battle rages both on and off the field my man...

flame on :ph34r:

#4 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

#5 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:45 AM

OP, great post. I have one comment and one question. First off, what the heck is a "sook" or "sooky"? Second, it's "whine" not "whinge". For some reason that gets on my nerves.

#6 Nelliel

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

-Claps and then tiptoes back into the shadows before the uninstall trolls come in....-

#7 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:22 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 06 January 2014 - 02:45 AM, said:

OP, great post. I have one comment and one question. First off, what the heck is a &quot;sook&quot; or &quot;sooky&quot;? Second, it's &quot;whine&quot; not &quot;whinge&quot;. For some reason that gets on my nerves.

shutyabichinup !

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:44 AM

OP, great post. I have one comment and one question. First off, what the heck is a &quot;sook&quot; or &quot;sooky&quot;? Second, it's &quot;whine&quot; not &quot;whinge&quot;. For some reason that gets on my nerves.

Whinge is the expected spelling from across the pond. Here in Newfoundland at least, "sook" is sort of like a "crybaby" and I presume means similar in the uk

#9 Levon K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 324 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:51 AM

Yup, many players (and ex-players) have jumped on the "bash PGI" bandwagon, filling the forums with nonsense and actually doing nothing except making themselves look impatient and childish.

The game is solid and it only gets better with each new feature release.

#10 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:01 AM

Also agree with OP!

MWO has realy grown solid and keeps improving. Enjoying the easy to learn and hard to master day by day.

Welcome on board Mechwarrior! :ph34r:

#11 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:15 AM

OP, great post. I have one comment and one question. First off, what the heck is a "sook" or "sooky"? Second, it's "whine" not "whinge". For some reason that gets on my nerves.

I've had to laugh about "whinge" - it would drive me crazy too. Then one day watching the british Top Gear (since the American one is a cheap rip=off) I heard somebody say "whinge", and it all made sense. I should have known better. :ph34r:

And to the OP - you are correct that the game in itself is very solid, and very fun. But I do understand all of the people that hesitate to buy anything more until some of the broken promises are fulfilled. I just wish they'd do it in a constructive way, rather than coming here and spewing vomit at the new players.

#12 Hibiki Silvana

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBergen

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

I agree, it's solid. The moneygrabbing bothers me a bit and so does balancing but that's online gaming period, so i don't see a point in fussing about it.

#13 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:23 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 06 January 2014 - 03:44 AM, said:

Whinge is the expected spelling from across the pond. Here in Newfoundland at least, "sook" is sort of like a "crybaby" and I presume means similar in the uk

Ah {Scrap}. If that's the legitimate spelling, then i guess I have to suck it up. Unless they are from the States, then it's on!! :ph34r:

I figured it meant something like that, but wanted to make sure for future reference.

View PostBuckminster, on 06 January 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

I've had to laugh about "whinge" - it would drive me crazy too. Then one day watching the british Top Gear (since the American one is a cheap rip=off) I heard somebody say "whinge", and it all made sense. I should have known better. :(

And to the OP - you are correct that the game in itself is very solid, and very fun. But I do understand all of the people that hesitate to buy anything more until some of the broken promises are fulfilled. I just wish they'd do it in a constructive way, rather than coming here and spewing vomit at the new players.

Agreed on the American version, and so it's even pronounced differently? Apart from the obvious accent etc. Thanks to you as well. (Just realized I didn't thank Red, but meh, he'll get over it.) :ph34r:

#14 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:23 AM

im not on the wagon :ph34r: though there are things that do not make sense ( like in the year 3000 and beyond we do not have the forsight to send appropriate hardware to a drop ? ) apparently not we seem to have no idea that the planet out deep space transport is orbiting has a high surface temp and steep terrain requiring a cool running build and jump jets... or that it might have wide open spaces and sending a short range loadout would be stupid !

go figure ? because here and now we had more idea how to build a mars rover than these future warriors do in building interplanetary war machines :(

#15 Spawnsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:30 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 06 January 2014 - 04:23 AM, said:

Ah {Scrap}. If that's the legitimate spelling, then i guess I have to suck it up. Unless they are from the States, then it's on!! :ph34r:

I figured it meant something like that, but wanted to make sure for future reference.

Agreed on the American version, and so it's even pronounced differently? Apart from the obvious accent etc. Thanks to you as well. (Just realized I didn't thank Red, but meh, he'll get over it.) :ph34r:

Just to clarify Nick, we Brits use both "whine" and "whinge" but they both mean pretty much the same thing, we just like having options. :(

#EnglishLanguageMasterRace

#16 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:39 AM

This happens to often and I don't get it. People keep complaining about everything. Honestly, the game is fun, it's working well, progress is slow but steady, and above all else. PGI is doing everything they can to move fast. I agree with OP about the negativity, it's part of the reason why I stayed away from the forums for about 90% of the time.

Good on you for having fun OP. Wish you luck on the battlefield.

#17 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostLevon K, on 06 January 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

Yup, many players (and ex-players) have jumped on the "bash PGI" bandwagon, filling the forums with nonsense and actually doing nothing except making themselves look impatient and childish.

The game is solid and it only gets better with each new feature release.

There's a fineline between being critical, and simply bashing to bash, and it's easy to get caught up in emotion and just start bashing. Plenty of people start off intent on simply being critical, and end up bashing.

Is this game flawed? Yes, but it's still playable and fun for many. The biggest dissapointment for many long time players is the pace at which some of the core features are coming out (or not, as is the case here).

Don't get caught up in the hate bandwagon. If you enjoy it, play it. If you need a break, take it. But don't ruin it for someone else just because you're upset.

#18 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

Welcome. And THANK YOU. The recent flood of probably fake "I'm a new player and heres a 9000 page document of everything I don't like so fix it now before I leave!" threads are getting tiring

Hope to see you on the battlefield!

#19 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

In what world is complaining about broken promises and missed deadlines not valid? In your private life, if a friend repeatedly did this to you, would you voice your opinion of this treatment? I sure would, and the forums are the only place to do this.

I'd challenge your belief that the forums compromise of 5% of the playerbase who love to whine. Well here is where some of the MAJOR fixes on game balance came from. Where 3PV was restricted from 12 man drops, where Clan Mech Packages were made al a carte. Many good things have from these forums.

#20 Thomas G Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorth Germany

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

There is one born every minute!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users