136 replies to this topic

#41 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:10 AM

the op question is can it be viable, I say no.

mediums should stick to streaks they can't carry enough tubes or ammo to sustain dps over a match like a heavy.

there are a few heavy class who are designed to boat lrm use one of those.

#42 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:58 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 07 January 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

Sorry but carrying all LRM5's is not an effective LRM boat, it pretty much exists just to troll people.

With respect, I strongly disagree. My 5x5 LRM (+ 2 ML, TAG & ARTEMIS) Golden Boy is a force to be reckoned with. Fast, maneuverable, and with a large ammo load, this mech can stay just behind the front line. It supports the heavies and assaults, finishes injured mechs, and neutralizes dual-gauss Jagers with continuous missile barrage.

Edited by Win Ott, 12 January 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#43 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

Yeah, mobile LRM platforms can be pretty useful. Especially if they also bring a tag.

#44 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e073c2446b41bdd
92.3 kph - tag - bap - ams - Lrm 25 Artemis total - 1280 lrm ammo - 7 Jumpjets
:P

course taking out the jumpjets allows you to upgrade a lrm 5 to a 10 = LRM 30 total
or downgrading the engine to XL 270 for near max leg armor

You can add two medium lasers if you take out AMS and downgrade to a XL 280
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e1ee9fd62716ac3

Edited by kesuga7, 12 January 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#45 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

How about 3SSRM ALMR20 tag bap xl300 jjs? ;)

#46 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

Mediums can work exceptionally well as Mobile LRM.

I use my Griffin 1S for that specifically. Tag and backup weapons are a must. :)

Edit; build was wacky, JJ'less . :)

View Postsneeking, on 11 January 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

mediums should stick to streaks they can't carry enough tubes or ammo to sustain dps over a match like a heavy.

You misunderstand the topic, this isn't best LRM BOAT. In fact most medium mechs can't boat anything, maybe 5-9 medium lasers. Mediums tend to be balanced loadout mechs.

Edited by Amsro, 15 January 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#47 Canadian Attack Beaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • 189 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

The ShadowHawk has a couple variants with capable LRM builds, as does the Wolverine. I'm running my 6K with LRM20+A and 4x MLA.

#48 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Here's my plans for my Griffin-3M. Just playing with ideas, but figuring the LRM30 as setup will give a nice single launch, but also allows for some LRM5 spam. I figure the LL will help take care of people that try and get too close.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...701e8f5eda056a9

#49 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:24 AM

View PostAmsro, on 14 January 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

Mediums can work exceptionally well as Mobile LRM.

I use my Griffin 1S for that specifically. Tag and backup weapons are a must. :ph34r:

You misunderstand the topic, this isn't best LRM BOAT. In fact most medium mechs can't boat anything, maybe 5-9 medium lasers. Mediums tend to be balanced loadout mechs.

No JJ? only 4 tons of ammo? "Anthropomorphic personification please!"

Griffins are cake but not much point discussing them now before they are available for the C-bills.

Edited by Sandro Mc, 15 January 2014 - 04:25 AM.

#50 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:53 AM

I actually found 4 tons to be plenty for my LRM15+5+5+5 Griffin. I tend to single fire the 5s at the distances where you aren't likely to hit, so it is fairly ammo friendly.

But yeah, jump jets are a must. It isn't hard to find the half ton to add one.

Edited by Buckminster, 15 January 2014 - 04:55 AM.

#51 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:27 AM

Aye, just strip some armour from the head, drop a double heatsink or one ml.

#52 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostSandro Mc, on 15 January 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

No JJ? only 4 tons of ammo? "Anthropomorphic personification please!"

Griffins are cake but not much point discussing them now before they are available for the C-bills.

Yikes good eye, referenced my actual build in game, 280XL in place of the 300XL with 2 JJ added in. I never take a JJ mech without JJ.

The 4 tons of ammo is more then enough for LRM30. This isn't an LRM Boat, instead mobile support using the Medium Lasers to dictate your range. ~300-400 meters.

February or March will be either the Wolverine or Griffin, won't be long before the C-Bill variants are in.

Edited by Amsro, 15 January 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#53 Canadian Attack Beaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • 189 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostAmsro, on 15 January 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

Yikes good eye, referenced my actual build in game, 280XL in place of the 300XL with 2 JJ added in. I never take a JJ mech without JJ.

The 4 tons of ammo is more then enough for LRM30. This isn't an LRM Boat, instead mobile support using the Medium Lasers to dictate your range. ~300-400 meters.

February or March will be either the Wolverine or Griffin, won't be long before the C-Bill variants are in.

Avoid the WVR-6K; it's the worst of the bunch. WVR-6R is my favourite. I haven't finished eliting out my WVR yet, so I've spent little time with my GRF. The GRF-1N is the only one I've tweaked, and with 3xSRM6 and 3xMPLA wth XL275 it's pretty fun.

#54 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:07 AM

View PostAmsro, on 15 January 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

Well that's better. But the rest depends on your point of view... I also think that the best distance for this one is 300-400m with the line of sight. Only I think it actually is an ALMR30 platform with insane damage for that speed, and ML just come as a backup. And for this I suffer on maps like therra bloody therma. But truthfully lately I favour ALRM20+3SSRM2 with tag and bap and no pinpoint damage weapons, that thing is so absurdly versatile, and after a good practice you start using TAG to support both ALRM and streaks. Now that is a mobile support mech.
I fear the day when it will be allowed to load clan weaponry... heat is not an issue there obviously... and increased damage output will do wonders.

Edited by Sandro Mc, 16 January 2014 - 05:11 AM.

#55 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

View Postsneeking, on 11 January 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

Sneeking is absolutely incorrect for several reasons; mediums are actually the ideal missile platform, period.

http://mwomercs.com/...m-commandments/ for a guide on how to operate them. I think I posted this earlier in the thread, but in the face of such inaccurate information, I think it warrants repeating.

#56 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

Based on my experience with an LRM25 Griffin (10+5+5+5, stupid 15 kept going into the wrong slot or I'd be running 30), mediums are absolutely fantastic. It's just a different mentality - rather than making it rain missiles, you are a striker - think cruise missiles vs carpet bombing.

It's an easy build to run too. TAG, LRM25 and a LL. For the LRMs, I have one group as an alpha, and one chains through the LRM5s. That way I can launch all to punch through AMS, or I can spam 5s to harass at a minimum of ammo.

#57 LoPanShui

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b2ab8a2ea086ad4

This is my Lurmisher, a 95 kph Shadowhawk firing volleys of 35 missiles. It's proven itself very effective on maps with long lines of sight and is capable of bailing on situations it can't handle, or running from bigger 'Mechs that are getting too close. It's served me well.

#58 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostLoPanShui, on 16 January 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b2ab8a2ea086ad4

This is my Lurmisher, a 95 kph Shadowhawk firing volleys of 35 missiles. It's proven itself very effective on maps with long lines of sight and is capable of bailing on situations it can't handle, or running from bigger 'Mechs that are getting too close. It's served me well.

No tag?

And curious - how often do you run out of ammo? (seems kinda low)

#59 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

GRF-1N Shocktrooper

I'm hoping by 'LRM platform,' we're not talking about boating necessarily, just making a proper good use of LRMs as the main focus of damage.

In this case, I love my 1N build. Consistently clears the 600dmg mark, with damage in the 1000's not unheard of. firing at an enemy in that 225m 'sweet spot' is wicked fun. And the beauty of streaks is that they can 'trick' opposing AMS, as the system has to readjust and regain targeting solution on the LRM volley after attempting to deal with the Streaks (which even with just two, should be chain fired).

And it's not that I don't believe more than 15 tubes to be effective for a LRM boat, as I have used and seen it consistently be awesome, but imho, mediums making use of one single 'dump' LRM launcher, and enough 'flak' to fill the deadzone have proven much more effective than just straight LRM boats.

#60 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

I had an SRM Troll on this chassis but I made a quick LRM swap.

LRM 40 Kintaro with 36 Salvos

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users