• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Posted Image

I know about some questions concerning the weapon doors. Some do not know which mechs need to toggle the weapon doors, some don't know how it works and most don't know where to find the indicator for opened or closed weapon doors.

First of all I want to thank Koolaid and Ronald MechDonald for screenshots I really needed to create this thread.

This is a german translation of this thread: Weapon doors (deutsch)

I thought I have to check all cockpits to find the mechs with weapon doors but fortunately I found a post with the desired information:
Mechs with weapon doors

It's just the Catapult, the Centurion, the Stalker and the Kintaro who needs to toggle the weapon doors.

But what does it mean? Why is it necessary?
If you note a delay on this four chassis when you are firing your LRM's or SRM's you should toggle your weapon doors. If they are open, you can fire immediately without any delay. If you don't open it permanently, the doors have to open every time you are firing. This takes a lot of time.

How can you note the status of your weapon doors?
The colours: black means lights off, yellow means closed, green means opened, red means destroyed.

(click all the pictures to enlarge them)

1) Catapult
You can see a cockpit of a Catapult. The two braces are forming a "V" and you can see two small bright lights at center of the braces on both sides.

Yellow lights (closed)
Posted Image

Green lights (opened)
Posted Image

2) Centurion
You can see the cockpit of a Centurion. On the left side you can see one bright light above a blue wire.

Yellow lights (closed)
Posted Image

Green lights (opened)
Posted Image

Two other screenshots with a pan to the left (first yellow, then green).
Posted Image

Posted Image

3) Stalker
Here you can see the cockpit of a Stalker. Here you can see... nothing. :lol:

Posted Image

You have to pan over to see the lights. The Stalker has two lights like the Catapult.
The left light is located below the screen in the upper left corner.
The right light is located below the screen in the overhead console (right next to the "Operation 24" medallion).

Pan to the left (yellow light, closed)
Posted Image

Pan to the left (green light, opened)
Posted Image

Pan to the right (yellow light, closed)
Posted Image

Pan to the right (green light, opened)
Posted Image

4) Kintaro
This is an exception. Watch this post to know more:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3057748

Edited by Catalina Steiner, 07 July 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#2 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

I keep my cent D bay closed as its 2xssrms are only used up close n personal in support of 2xml ( usualy after either running out of ammo or losing the arm ) I do this for the armour value.

#3 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

Good guide Catalina Steiner. :lol: I actually didn't know that Stalker had missile bay doors, even though I actually did spend time with the thing when it was on trial. :(

Edit: Also, red lights show if either of your bay doors are destroyed.

Edited by luxebo, 07 January 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#4 Metafox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

Don't forget the CT door on the kintaro.

#5 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

View PostMetafox, on 07 January 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

Didn't know that either. :lol: Thanks.

#6 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

I only knew about bays on cent and pult, fortunately I have a key mapped to my nt52e for doors as im becomming a bit of an a1c lrm fanatic.

will remember these others for when time comes ( have considered stalkers as my first assult class ) thanks for the heads up.

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:12 AM

Tip:

With Streaks and LRMs you may as well keep them closed as you are going to hit the target anyway despite the opening delay.

With SRMs, where leading and lag would make more of an impact, open then before engaging.

#8 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

Actually, you will want to open the doors before shooting though if you know that you will need the LRMs or Streaks soon, because there is nothing as frustrating as waiting for the doors to open, shooting and just before they impact having the target behind cover... if the doors were open, those 1-2 seconds could have meant a direct hit instead of an embarrassing splat into the side of the hill/building.

EDIT: The bays should be closed after shooting /loss of lock though (and re-opened once the target comes into view before the lock is achieved).

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 08 January 2014 - 12:30 AM.

#9 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:12 AM

I open and close them on the a1c especially seen as arms have no front or back so when I go for cover and torso twist or are running for my life I get durability for closing and when im on the attack they are open.

in the cent D case once its down to cq brawl shut with streak assisting my ml's is fine especialy seen as left side is the tanking side for the chassis and I am in the xl engine camp on these things. sometimes the are open like if im defending against a light or in pursuit of one as I have xl350 and can intersept one and hold it long enough to get a few ssrm vollys off while sweaping the ml's.

Edited by sneeking, 08 January 2014 - 02:34 AM.

#10 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

I found another useful post concerning the weapon door toggle:

WEAPON BAY DOORS

The state of your Weapon bay Doors provides a tactical advantage in two ways.

When the doors are closed, the Weapon Bay Doors provide 10% damage resistance to the component they are connected to.

When the doors are open, weapons covered by the doors will fire without the extra 0.5s delay it takes for them to open.

By default Weapon Bay Doors are controlled with the slash [/] key and their indicators are located in the cockpit.

Yellow - Closed
Green - Open
Red - Destroyed

Delay and damage

Edited by Catalina Steiner, 08 January 2014 - 04:20 AM.

#11 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:37 AM

I don't know what you want to say (maybe about a joke about the CT of the Kintaro), but the Kintaro has no weapon door toggle. Missiles are flying without any delay and an indicator for the doors is nowhere to find.

View PostMetafox, on 07 January 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

#12 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostCatalina Steiner, on 08 January 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

I don't know what you want to say (maybe about a joke about the CT of the Kintaro), but the Kintaro has no weapon door toggle. Missiles are flying without any delay and an indicator for the doors is nowhere to find.

Au contraire, it was how I avoided Ghost Heat on my 4SRM6 KTO-19. I left the door closed for that all-important 0.5s delay. Hitting the toggle fired all missiles at once.

That said, I never found the door light either.

#13 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

Thank you Catalina, now I know why my Centi is always shooting his SRMS with little delay :( !

#14 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostAppogee, on 08 January 2014 - 12:12 AM, said:

Tip:

With Streaks and LRMs you may as well keep them closed as you are going to hit the target anyway despite the opening delay.

With SRMs, where leading and lag would make more of an impact, open then before engaging.

Maybe. Time is often of the essence with streaks. (Pesky terrain gets in the way fast).

Also, on Stalkers especially, arms have doors, torsos don't, so if you fire without opening, your missiles will go in two salvos if you have racks in both places, decreasing their efficacy due to AMS eating more.

#15 MetalBacon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPlanet Dirt

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:18 AM

I was actually sitting there slamming the door button in my stalker while capping, had no idea what it did lol, but it did make a beeping sound.

#16 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 08 January 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

Maybe. Time is often of the essence with streaks. (Pesky terrain gets in the way fast).

Also, on Stalkers especially, arms have doors, torsos don't, so if you fire without opening, your missiles will go in two salvos if you have racks in both places, decreasing their efficacy due to AMS eating more.

how complicated do doors need to be ?

its beyond a joke...

#17 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

View Postsneeking, on 08 January 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

how complicated do doors need to be ?

its beyond a joke...

I think it's really cool, actually. The fact that I feel like I'm in a different machine between mechs is one of MWO's best features. Little things like this add to that. YMMV.

#18 igavemymomkoolaid

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 96 posts
  • LocationHessia

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:54 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 08 January 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

Au contraire, it was how I avoided Ghost Heat on my 4SRM6 KTO-19. I left the door closed for that all-important 0.5s delay. Hitting the toggle fired all missiles at once.

That said, I never found the door light either.

There is DEFINITELY no weapon door in any Kintaro. That includes the KTO-19. I checked all Kintaros by myself and there is no delay or weapon door light. Sorry, you are wrong.

Edited by igavemymomkoolaid, 08 January 2014 - 06:54 AM.

#19 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

View Postigavemymomkoolaid, on 08 January 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

There is DEFINITELY no weapon door in any Kintaro. That includes the KTO-19. I checked all Kintaros by myself and there is no delay or weapon door light. Sorry, you are wrong.

-shrug- It's been a while since I used my KTO's, honestly. I can tell you that the last time I used my -19, that was definitely the case. I guess they changed it since.

I concede the point :(

#20 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

I dunno if it was changed, but I was able to find this image so far:

Spoiler

Only the KTO-20 might be lacking doors.

I have a Kintaro, but I need to run the Repair Tool to see if there is a cockpit light or not, trouble with client and I don't have enough time right now.

Edit: The KTO-19 has a light on the right side, and the CT missile does fire delayed if not toggled.
Spoiler

Edited by Praetor Shepard, 08 January 2014 - 08:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users