Jager Dd, My First Mech?

32 replies to this topic

#1 Doc Steiner

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNo Man's Land

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

I want DAKKA, range and face ripping, like a true son of House Steiner, and after 40+ videos and numerous threads, I've decided to build this proud machine as my 1st owned 'Mech:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...209fdb20b6dd949

Solid, before I plunk down those Cbills?

#2 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

It is a good mech. The downside is it will tend to teach you to stair at targest and just hold the trigger and hope they die first.

Also not sure the UAC is worth it any more with the jam rates. I would try both and see what you like better. And of course over time you can tweek it more.

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 08 January 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

I would mount those UAC-5 symmetrically in case your arm gets shot off. Also spread your ammo between right and left arm, you are increasing the chance of an ammo explosion unnecessarily.

Edited by Spheroid, 08 January 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#4 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

View PostDoc Steiner, on 08 January 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

I want DAKKA, range and face ripping, like a true son of House Steiner, and after 40+ videos and numerous threads, I've decided to build this proud machine as my 1st owned 'Mech:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...209fdb20b6dd949

Solid, before I plunk down those Cbills?

Salvageable, but not perfect. I'd recommend this:

XL Ultra

Or alternately, drop the Ultra/5s to AC/5s, then put on some Medium Lasers in addition.

PS: If you're interested in ACs, also check out the Cataphract 3D, 4X, Victor, and Highlander. The Jagermech is best run with 2x Gauss or 2x AC/20, if not the Ultra configuration linked there.

PPS: Don't put ammo in your arm, in particular if you are running XL. It's likely to explode and will transfer right on in to your side torso, possibly killing you outright. Generally keep your ammo in the head and chest, and CASE it if you have a standard engine (when possible.)

Remember the head ammo is fairly safe as not only is hard to hit, but will be used first.

Edited by Victor Morson, 08 January 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#5 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

^I would alter that ammo placement Victor.

2x RL, 2x LL, RT, LT, LA, H

Also if using an engine other than a 260XL the OP would be better off simply purchasing the Jager-S.

Edited by Spheroid, 08 January 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#6 MingTheMerciless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and Sian

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:50 AM

Some good advice by Victor Morson. Drop to AC/5 instead and you can pack either more ammo and/or some backup medium lasers.

#7 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

That doesnt look like an atlas

#8 Doc Steiner

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNo Man's Land

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

This build appeals to me, 2 UAC, 4MG, 2 Large Lasers, 42% cooling:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d67eed2d5496db4

OR:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...946fcc4b15d3bc3

I considered this "S" with a NON-XL faster motor too, really liking it on paper, HALP!!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...208bd1bd4896da5

Edited by Doc Steiner, 09 January 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#9 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

I think the Jager is an excellent first mech. Very versatile and can pack quite powerful loadouts.

#10 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

That AC-5 configuration will work very well for you. I run nearly the same build but without machine guns and an extra heatsink. I use a surplus 275 but that is a minor difference.

JM6-S

I suggest chain firing the AC-5 for better aim correction and target suppression while group firing the mediums. Using that technique you can dial your heat to match any map in the game. I really love my Jager-S.

Edited by Spheroid, 09 January 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#11 Doc Steiner

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNo Man's Land

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

Thanks guys!

I considered the DD with it's stock motor to save Cbills, and this looks evil to me as well, no?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bb902e39e91d577

With 3 Ultras, to prevent jamming, would you also chain fire these, or blast away?

Edited by Doc Steiner, 09 January 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#12 Dark Horse X

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 190 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

I like your build, but would highly recommend you get a JM6-S. The S variant gives you a LOT more options on loadouts should you choose to try different things than what you can do with the DD. Also, go with the XL275.....it allows you a DHS to be tucked there if ever needed with other builds on this mech (saving you 3 critical spaces, which CAN make a big difference). Just drop 1 ton of ammo and upgrade. Personally, I prefer the "sure thing" by going AC/5's, as I can't stand anything that has a jam rate, BUT since you are running 3 UAC/5's - then the jam rate isn't so hurtful to you.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2b996686a3a5792

Setup your weapon groupings. I personally would go as such:

Group 1: 3xUAC/5 (chainfire)
Group 2: 2xMLAS (chainfire)
Group 3: 2xMLAS (group fire)
Group 4. 3xUAC/5 (group fire)
Group 5: 2xUAC/5 "Left side UAC's" (group fire)
Group 6 1xUAC/5 "Right side UAC" (group or chain fire)

Groups 5&6 will allow you to snipe "around" things. Using those groupings, you will be covered in every situation.

Anyhow, have fun and enjoy!

Edited by Vlad Dragu, 09 January 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#13 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

@Doc Steiner. The DD with stock engine is almost a pseudo Omni regarding ballistics. As long you don't clutter up the frame with ferro, you can easily swap all the main guns for comparative testing. Mix ultras and standards freely to find out what works for you.

#14 Doc Steiner

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNo Man's Land

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

View PostVlad Dragu, on 09 January 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

I like your build, but would highly recommend you get a JM6-S. The S variant gives you a LOT more options on loadouts should you choose to try different things than what you can do with the DD. Also, go with the XL275.....it allows you a DHS to be tucked there if ever needed with other builds on this mech (saving you 3 critical spaces, which CAN make a big difference). Just drop 1 ton of ammo and upgrade. Personally, I prefer the "sure thing" by going AC/5's, as I can't stand anything that has a jam rate, BUT since you are running 3 UAC/5's - then the jam rate isn't so hurtful to you.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2b996686a3a5792

Setup your weapon groupings. I personally would go as such:

Group 1: 3xUAC/5 (chainfire)
Group 2: 2xMLAS (chainfire)
Group 3: 2xMLAS (group fire)
Group 4. 3xUAC/5 (group fire)
Group 5: 2xUAC/5 "Left side UAC's" (group fire)
Group 6 1xUAC/5 "Right side UAC" (group or chain fire)

Groups 5&6 will allow you to snipe "around" things. Using those groupings, you will be covered in every situation.

Anyhow, have fun and enjoy!

I like that. Using a Razer Naga makes as many as 12 weapon groups (lulz!) EZ-PZ and I'm really thinking standard AC/5's since RNG is not, nor never has been, any friend of mine! :D

Oddly enough, I was actually hoping for an 'S' variant to begin with, so this can be a good thing, if only I could cram in those 4 lasers and not burn alive on a hot map. Maybe 4 smalls & extra DHS since I'll rarely use the lasers unless cornered?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d5fe557fd68a4c2

This Model A didn't look half bad either once I get a 2nd/3rd variant:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b6709a143e91ecb

Edited by Doc Steiner, 10 January 2014 - 12:47 AM.

#15 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

Make sure you fire those 3x AC-5 in group fire as the reload rate on the AC-5 results in identical DPS to dual if chained. That is why I generally prefer dual AC-5 over triple. I prefer triple UAC-5 to sustain rate of fire in event of a jam.

I mix AC-2 and AC-5 together on the DD because that combination results in plenty of heat and makes energy pointless so the DD's lack of energy hardpoints works in that regard. To prevent overheating I simply have to switch from firing everything to just AC-5.

My Jager-S I keep faster and more crammed while my DD I use for heavier ballistics at the expense of durability.

Edited by Spheroid, 10 January 2014 - 08:04 AM.

#16 Doc Steiner

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNo Man's Land

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

View PostGhost1321, on 10 January 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

If that's the case, that range isn't your friend, you might seriously consider another heavy chassis. The Jager is a bit of a glass cannon, and doesn't shine super close. I would say he's best medium to long range, taking advantage of the high mount ballistics to fire from cover whenever possible.

The Cataphract or Orion make much better mid to short range brawlers/tanks: more armor, more tonnage to work with. If you want to spend some cash, the Ilya can mount 3 low-slung AC5 and is more survivable mid to short. The Dragon (I use 1N) can mount two AC5 in a flexible arm for quick snapshots, and is a great fast (for a heavy) striker.

Not trying to dissuade you from the Jager as I think it's a great mech, but it's amazing how the positioning of certain elements, such as where the same AC5s are mounted, can effect the preferred role of the chassis. And the extra 5-10 tons in the Cataphract and Orion make a huge difference in the mid- to short regime, in my opinion. Jager can't take high enough engine/speed to make up for the lower armor in close (Firebrand may be an exception, it can take a bigger engine, but I haven't tried it).

Not "range,'" lol, RNG, a term from my years playing WoW.

"Random Number Generator," as in "luck" with the 20% jam rate being more severe for me based on my usual "luck!"

Sorry for the confusion! ^_^

Actually, I have really decent ranged accuracy and a Ping of 35-65.

#17 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

I've done about 700 drops in Jagers total, and over 200 in this DD build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...86cc0b0536a1b2e
I'm a big fan of dakka dakka action.

This one has 3xAC2s in the right arm (fire them together so its like a rapid fire AC6, if you will) - Range and supression
Combined with 1xAC5 in the left - Pinpoint damage, extra destruction (Can replace with ultra if you wish, but I like the reliability of the classic)

2x ML finish off the build for extra punch, and a back up for when the ammo runs short (which it probably will)

I've broken 1000 damage a few times with this guy. Just remember to be cautious, play the advantage and stay in the second row, its a great heavy mech destroyer.

- - - - - - -

Also probably worth mentioning that the first jager build I had great success in was a 2xAC-10 2xML Jager-S, but you can also build the same with the DD. I still drop in this one today, using a standard 260 engine it is surprisingly robust and makes a great mid-short range mech as long as your marskmanship to hit the CT with the AC10s is good.

Edited by Indiandream, 10 January 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#18 Doc Steiner

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNo Man's Land

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

View PostIndiandream, on 10 January 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

I've done about 700 drops in Jagers total, and over 200 in this DD build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...86cc0b0536a1b2e
I'm a big fan of dakka dakka action.

This one has 3xAC2s in the right arm (fire them together so its like a rapid fire AC6, if you will) - Range and supression
Combined with 1xAC5 in the left - Pinpoint damage, extra destruction (Can replace with ultra if you wish, but I like the reliability of the classic)

2x ML finish off the build for extra punch, and a back up for when the ammo runs short (which it probably will)

I've broken 1000 damage a few times with this guy. Just remember to be cautious, play the advantage and stay in the second row, its a great heavy mech destroyer.

- - - - - - -

Also probably worth mentioning that the first jager build I had great success in was a 2xAC-10 2xML Jager-S, but you can also build the same with the DD. I still drop in this one today, using a standard 260 engine it is surprisingly robust and makes a great mid-short range mech as long as your marskmanship to hit the CT with the AC10s is good.

I love those weapons but am afraid the dashboard would melt on Mordor!

#19 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

Heat actually isnt that bad. Usually after a decent burst your enemy will run for cover, giving you a chance to cool off (Never chase unless you know he's alone. Pop the next guy who pokes his head out of cover instead). Just lay off the lasers on hot maps and save them for when you run out of ammo. On cool maps use them liberally to add punch.

It's important to remember that this kind of mech works best shooting from behind cover at range. You always have the option to hide whilst cooling down. If you receive too much attention, withdraw and reposition.

Edited by Indiandream, 10 January 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#20 Doc Steiner

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNo Man's Land

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

If I recycle the Shadowhawk engine I want for my medium roles, would this deliver? On paper it looks sick if lasers are only burst or last resort weapons:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bb2bfed4e065ae7

This looks good in an S with a Jenner engine:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...35d06d8f443c4c5

Hmmmm......

Thanks again! :ph34r:

Edited by Doc Steiner, 10 January 2014 - 11:46 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users