38 replies to this topic

#1 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

This is NOT for new maps, this is for variants of pre-existing ones. Comment and add!

Maps:
Alpine Peaks
--Alpine Peaks Blizzard*
Canyon Network
--Canyon Network Flood*
Caustic Valley
--Caustic Valley Cataclysm*
Forest Colony
--Forest Colony Snow
Frozen City
--Frozen City Night
Crimson Strait
--Crimson Strait Hurricane*
Terra Therma
--Terra Therma Eruption*
HPG Manifold*
--HPG Manifold Destruction*
River City
--River City Night
--River City Burst*
Tourmaline Desert
--Tourmaline Desert Sandstorm*

Blizzard -- Huge snowstorm grips Alpine peaks reducing visibility.
Flood -- The Canyon Network is flooded to about half way up.
Cataclysm -- Environment after a major disaster, eruption, mudslide, etc.
Hurricane -- HUGE rain and windstorm. The equivalent of non-frozen Blizzard.
Eruption -- That's right, the center is erupting, and the lava flows are rivers.
Manifold -- Would be nice to see aerospace elements battling it out overhead like in RC.
Destruction -- What did they expect to happen with mechs battling it out?
Burst -- The damn has burst flooding and destroying much of the city.
Sandstorm -- Sandy equivalent to Blizzard.

#2 PenitentTangent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

cool ideas. Personally, I'd love to have more map variants. But I don't think thats what MWO needs as a whole. The Map Dev team needs to make as many original maps as they can so they'll have a nice cache of maps for CW. As much as I want to see a supermassive torrent overhead on Crimson Straights, we need more maps.

#3 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

I gave in a few myself a while ago. Whole thread here: http://mwomercs.com/...00#entry3027100
I like the Hurricane on your ideas, that one is good. Also, I like the Manifold idea and same as Destruction variant. Eruption however, I think wouldn't be so favored. I thought of this, but the map would be even more melty, and that isn't good.
But for my map concepts only: Don't judge by names or map variants as of now, some concepts need a redo because I did these in only a little bit of time. My personal favorite is Crimson Straits one on my own, and my least favorite is Caustic Valley one.

Alpine Peaks “global warming version”.
Alpine Peaks had a climate change, so now there’s snow running downhill, potential Avalanches, some grassland showing now, etc. Some mountains have been removed and some downhill will be straightened. Plus those two bases are now removed and replaced with small villages, capable of having mechs fight inside. (So maybe two small River City spawns and a fight in the wilderness, but caps in the two villages.)

Canyon Network “snow version”.
Over time, this planet goes into its winter cycle. This should be a sudden change from the day time heat now is here, but will change into a snowy battlefield and water will freeze. This will be a larger map and a change of temperature. Also, certain canyons will crumble in between the match, potentially damaging mechs in the fight.

Caustic Valley “pollution version”.
Caustic valley now has excessive pollution and there is a large refinery complex covering the entire area. The map turns into a cloudy, smoggy place with no lake, crater less covering mechs, and a large urban complex full of factories, power plants, etc. Thermal vision helps through the short periods of smog incoming.

Crimson Strait “sunset version”.
This city turns either from night to day (sunrise) or day to night (sunset). I already posted this in other threads. The place is totally lit at night, with city lights, civilians and pedestrians, and other vehicles passing through. This allows a time change to change the flow of the battle and makes this city feel less abandoned.

Terra Therma “eradicate version”.
Terra Therma now becomes near uninhabitable. This map now also allows free cool shots due to the near inhabitable areas. Plus, there is a multi-level barely sustainable life complex in Theta now, no more center sniping matches but instead a cool (yes cool) area with lots of brawling in the center. Outside of this complex, the area is extremely hot, but inside the complex, the area is nearly as cool as HPG Manifold. The volcanoes and volcanic area is much shortened. The volcanoes explode as well…

HPG Manifold “sunlight version”.
This map I think should go like MWLL’s extremity map. This will be extremely hot, unlike the previous edition, but inside the HPG or near cover your mech will cool faster. Outside, the sun will heat your mech up quickly. Also, the map is now slightly less filled with gravity and sounds return to normal, meaning noises from 3pv, but the sounds are similar to now with slight changes due to the sun.

Tourmaline Desert “storm version”.
Tourmaline Desert now has a large weather effect on the planet; floods happen everywhere and the area is less dry. However, the storm will cause the pilot’s cockpit to rattle and shake multiple times due to thunder and lightning hitting the ground, so it may impact accuracy of shots.

#4 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Very cool. Wonder if PGI could remake the maps as a default template and then randomly load the environment.... No need to make a completely new map just because it now has more snow (oh wait...).

#5 PenitentTangent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

View Postluxebo, on 13 January 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

Alpine Peaks “global warming version”.
Alpine Peaks had a climate change, so now there’s snow running downhill, potential Avalanches, some grassland showing now, etc. Some mountains have been removed and some downhill will be straightened. Plus those two bases are now removed and replaced with small villages, capable of having mechs fight inside. (So maybe two small River City spawns and a fight in the wilderness, but caps in the two villages.)

HPG Manifold “sunlight version”.
This map I think should go like MWLL’s extremity map. This will be extremely hot, unlike the previous edition, but inside the HPG or near cover your mech will cool faster. Outside, the sun will heat your mech up quickly. Also, the map is now slightly less filled with gravity and sounds return to normal, meaning noises from 3pv, but the sounds are similar to now with slight changes due to the sun.

Tourmaline Desert “storm version”.
Tourmaline Desert now has a large weather effect on the planet; floods happen everywhere and the area is less dry. However, the storm will cause the pilot’s cockpit to rattle and shake multiple times due to thunder and lightning hitting the ground, so it may impact accuracy of shots.

Alpine Peaks is too cold to have grass. It has no seasons and stays at a near constant below zero temperature.

Tourmaline Has no surface water, so there wouldn't be any rain. The temperature is so hot you cant even have any liquid water.

Your version of HPG confuses the hell out of me. firstly, the sun wouldn't randomly increase in temp, unless it was experiencing a solar flare and the HPG is close enough to be affected by it (Which it isn't). What do you mean its 'filled' with less gravity. Gravity is a force, not an item. It has almost no interaction with sound either. What do you means sounds are similar due to slight changes to the sun? The sun won't just randomly change. And the sun wont alter how sound operates on the planets surface millions of miles away.

Edited by PenitentTangent, 15 January 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#6 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostPenitentTangent, on 15 January 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

Alpine Peaks is too cold to have grass. It has no seasons and stays at a near constant below zero temperature.

Tourmaline Has no surface water, so there wouldn't be any rain. The temperature is so hot you cant even have any liquid water.

Your version of HPG confuses the hell out of me. firstly, the sun wouldn't randomly increase in temp, unless it was experiencing a solar flare and the HPG is close enough to be affected by it (Which it isn't). What do you mean its 'filled' with less gravity. Gravity is a force, not an item. It has almost no interaction with sound either. What do you means sounds are similar due to slight changes to the sun? The sun won't just randomly change. And the sun wont alter how sound operates on the planets surface millions of miles away.

Not everything is perfect especially lore/climate wise on my concepts.

For Alpine Peaks, I was thinking the map could change slowly, like if time went by extra fast or something and suddenly there would be excessive heat heating the planet, therefore some avalanches and while not necessary grass, but it will start to rise at least above freezing. Therefore, the map would be changed in total and there would be some changes to the temperature and mountains.

For Tourmaline Desert, the temperature would also slowly cool, sorta changing similarly to Alpine Peaks but the other way. It doesn't have to be extremely cool or anything, just cool enough to have rain (similar to sometimes where it's freaking 80-90 F and yet it's raining). This would also change the features of the map in general.

For HPG Manifold, the sun (or any sorta hot planet or something that can change the temperature quickly) would come near the planet and basically it would be sorta the day time of that planet. It would be almost as hot as terra therma if you are not in HPG or the outside of it, while the night time as of right now would be very cool, similar to MWLL's hot day cool night Extremity. Also, sounds would be at least more normal, as it's day time and gravity would be more as the sun or whatever it is is nearer to the planet.

Something like that, as I'm still sorta conceptualizing everything.

#7 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

How about a map with a huge deep crater in the middle instead of a tall circular platform to defend?

#8 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostSug, on 15 January 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

How about a map with a huge deep crater in the middle instead of a tall circular platform to defend?

If you're talking about Terra Therma, I thought to place a large industrial complex at theta, as it would be a cool center, but a hot outside with even more eruptions. Theta would be much larger, and a lot less heat in the center plus more of a brawling area. This creates some sorta feeling of a sanctuary and gets rid of the worry of the center usually in Terra Therma.

#9 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

View Postluxebo, on 15 January 2014 - 08:25 PM, said:

If you're talking about Terra Therma, I thought to place a large industrial complex at theta, as it would be a cool center, but a hot outside with even more eruptions. Theta would be much larger, and a lot less heat in the center plus more of a brawling area. This creates some sorta feeling of a sanctuary and gets rid of the worry of the center usually in Terra Therma.

Tera Therma, Caustic, Crimson City or whatever, Alpine. any map with a high point that people tend to cluster around the entire match.

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostSug, on 15 January 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

Tera Therma, Caustic, Crimson City or whatever, Alpine. any map with a high point that people tend to cluster around the entire match.

Congrats... we already do it. Now you want more of it?

What's happening here?

#11 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 15 January 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

Congrats... we already do it. Now you want more of it?

What's happening here?

I guess I just want to fire down at a bunch of i,diots in a pit.

Edited by Sug, 15 January 2014 - 10:04 PM.

#12 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

Logical statement, though who's going to go down into the pit? :mellow:

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

View Postluxebo, on 15 January 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

Logical statement, though who's going to go down into the pit? :mellow:

I'm pretty sure Sug will.. nudge them there.

#14 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

View Postluxebo, on 15 January 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

Logical statement, though who's going to go down into the pit? ;)

View PostDeathlike, on 15 January 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure Sug will.. nudge them there.

Also there's no way out of the pit.

I'm just not impressed with pgi's map design. They need to go to some local paintball ranges if they want some ideas. There's no giant mountains on those fields. It's really ok to have a flat map with lots of little cover spread all around it.

Edited by Sug, 16 January 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#15 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

Variants of existing maps (while some on the list sound cool) aren't enough. With only eleven base maps, this game gets stale very rapidly. If PGI would release the map making tools to the players and hold monthly contests for the best three player submitted maps, we'd have a huge variety of battlefields to play on. Plus, it would have the secondary effect of taking some of the development stress off the in-house team. Winning map designers could be rewarded with premium time, MC, a hero mech, hell any of those because none of those rewards would put PGI out in any way. Perhaps a 'select your prize' option.

#16 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

View PostHelsbane, on 16 January 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

Variants of existing maps (while some on the list sound cool) aren't enough. With only eleven base maps, this game gets stale very rapidly. If PGI would release the map making tools to the players and hold monthly contests for the best three player submitted maps, we'd have a huge variety of battlefields to play on. Plus, it would have the secondary effect of taking some of the development stress off the in-house team. Winning map designers could be rewarded with premium time, MC, a hero mech, hell any of those because none of those rewards would put PGI out in any way. Perhaps a 'select your prize' option.

Was going to link the PA article "Playing God so Mechs can Fight" that describes how the devs force **** a map into existence but i can't seem to access it.

https://www.facebook...495052280562753

Edited by Sug, 16 January 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#17 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

We have been discussing Tourmaline Desert Night on this thread. Its worth a read: http://mwomercs.com/...e-desert-night/

#18 PenitentTangent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

View Postluxebo, on 15 January 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

For Alpine Peaks, I was thinking the map could change slowly, like if time went by extra fast or something and suddenly there would be excessive heat heating the planet, therefore some avalanches and while not necessary grass, but it will start to rise at least above freezing. Therefore, the map would be changed in total and there would be some changes to the temperature and mountains.

For Tourmaline Desert, the temperature would also slowly cool, sorta changing similarly to Alpine Peaks but the other way. It doesn't have to be extremely cool or anything, just cool enough to have rain (similar to sometimes where it's freaking 80-90 F and yet it's raining). This would also change the features of the map in general.

For HPG Manifold, the sun (or any sorta hot planet or something that can change the temperature quickly) would come near the planet and basically it would be sorta the day time of that planet. It would be almost as hot as terra therma if you are not in HPG or the outside of it, while the night time as of right now would be very cool, similar to MWLL's hot day cool night Extremity. Also, sounds would be at least more normal, as it's day time and gravity would be more as the sun or whatever it is is nearer to the planet.

I don't think Alpine Peaks or Tourmaline would ever have drastic changes in position and temperature as you described. Tourmaline is a Carbon based planet. Its atmosphere is thick. While it certainly has enough airborne dust particles to formulate clouds, It has very little oxygen or hydrogen available to bond into water. The only sources of water would be small micro-filaments inside the Silicon crystals everywhere.

Alpine Peaks could be going through a melt down after an ice age, but only if it has seasons or an extremely elliptical orbit. Sadly, it has neither. I guess there could be a Pulsar star that just fired directly at Alpine Peaks and ionized the whole planet, but sadly there isn't a Pulsar Star dangerous enough to do such a thing that is close by to Alpine and pointing at it. Pulsars are generally rare.

For HPG, again there's a bunch of things wrong with your thought process (no offense intended). If the planetoid the HPG is on an elliptical orbit, I could see it coming close to the sun. However, it does not. It has a circular orbit. Another planet could approach close and cause geothermal heating of the the planetoid, but the planetoid has an inactive non-metallic core and planets cannot reflect enough energy to substantially heat other planets.

And I think you have a huge misconception of what gravity is. Gravity is the universal force of attraction of mass. If you increased the gravity of the HPG station, you wouldn't start hearing things better because there is a vacuum. There is no gas or any substantial matter in the space to transmit the sound waves to your ears. Gravity has no direct relationship to sound.

Think of the slogan for the classical sci-fi horror film, "Alien." The quote reads, "In space, no one can hear you scream."

Edited by PenitentTangent, 16 January 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#19 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostPenitentTangent, on 16 January 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

I don't think Alpine Peaks or Tourmaline would ever have drastic changes in position and temperature as you described. Tourmaline is a Carbon based planet. Its atmosphere is thick. While it certainly has enough airborne dust particles to formulate clouds, It has very little oxygen or hydrogen available to bond into water. The only sources of water would be small micro-filaments inside the Silicon crystals everywhere.

Alpine Peaks could be going through a melt down after an ice age, but only if it has seasons or an extremely elliptical orbit. Sadly, it has neither. I guess there could be a Pulsar star that just fired directly at Alpine Peaks and ionized the whole planet, but sadly there isn't a Pulsar Star dangerous enough to do such a thing that is close by to Alpine and pointing at it. Pulsars are generally rare.

For HPG, again there's a bunch of things wrong with your thought process (no offense intended). If the planetoid the HPG is on an elliptical orbit, I could see it coming close to the sun. However, it does not. It has a circular orbit. Another planet could approach close and cause geothermal heating of the the planetoid, but the planetoid has an inactive non-metallic core and planets cannot reflect enough energy to substantially heat other planets.

Alpine Peaks and Tourmaline, maybe. Once again I said maybe less radical of a change, could still be modified. But the general idea, I think they're not bad personally, just needs some modifications within temperature. Maybe for Alpine there was a large battle or something and enough mechs and aging happened in order to melt enough down to a slightly hotter map. Also for Tourmaline, maybe there would be a water tank explosion or something in order to make it rain? Something similar to that, enough destruction of some sort to have some rain.

In MWLL, there was a good map named Extremity where there are large satellites in the middle of the map, while bases are on the corners. The gravity was much higher during day time, and sounds were regular, while it was very very hot. However, during night time, the gravity was much lower, the sounds were similar to now, and the map was very very cold. That is what I'm basing this idea off of. I think there could be more logical map variants though.

#20 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

I think they should put in the old spawn points in addition to the new ones...and have them come up randomly. Just put the maps with old locations in the mix and label it the same as the new one's...

How about Crimson Strait: Apocalypse. Destroyed city, darkish but brighter than Rivercity Night, glowing with fire....Oh, and the platform is collapsed: just after the lower ramp up to the D5 gap and just before access to the tunnel. So you can still go under the platform but you can't stay under to move from the gap to the tunnel...you'd have to go out and around the boat.

Edited by TygerLily, 17 January 2014 - 11:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users