More Map Variants!

38 replies to this topic

#21 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Tyger, I like your vision of the burning city; I can see it at dusk, the embers glowing and smoke columns. The fire's would be reflected in the sea all the way out to Sniper Island.

#22 Jazzbandit1313

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

NO MORE BLIZZARD MAPS. DO RAIN

#23 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Rain is good Jazz; I mean your actual monsoon. Imagine trying to use the 4x Zoom through that stuff.

Posted Image

#24 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, I like the idea of having an apocalyptic city (chaos city or something). Similar to how Styk was in MW4 Mercs.

#25 Jay Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 209 posts
  • LocationJumpship in the Periphery

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

No more crappy vairants - especially something annoying as blizzards. Give me new maps, not more of the same with some minor effects.

Say no to variants!

#26 Moofi

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

View PostJay Kerensky, on 17 January 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

No more crappy vairants - especially something annoying as blizzards. Give me new maps, not more of the same with some minor effects.

Say no to variants!

I feel it´s more of a what can be achieved by minor changes with things we already got. The waiting cycle for new maps is apparently quite long....

A simple implementation of night/rain/snow/haze modi along with temperature alteration is the easiest and quickest I can think of. Should actually be something like a days work. Simply setting Cry-engines lighting system to night and activate rain/snow/haze simulation. Let it snow/hail in terra therma causing a hazy atmosphere because of vaporised iceballs. ;-)

Edited by Moofi, 22 January 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#27 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostJay Kerensky, on 17 January 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

Say no to variants!

That begs the question, Jay. It's only your opinion that the variants are crappy, not a given...besides, I'm not in favor of variants OR new maps...I want both!

Say yes to variants!

#28 Sweet Baby Pirate

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Great ideas.

I'd like to see a fully developed day/night cycle, so each time you drop it's a random time of day. Shadows and glare would be in different places, the temperature would vary slightly, and you'd have to put a little thought into whether you use night vision or not at dawn/dusk.

#29 Jay Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

View PostTygerLily, on 22 January 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

That begs the question, Jay. It's only your opinion that the variants are crappy, not a given...besides, I'm not in favor of variants OR new maps...I want both!

Say yes to variants!

Hello Tyger,
You are correct of course - it is my opinion, but then that's why I posted. I'm not really going to post someone else's opinion :D

To clarify the comment, however, I love MWO and the graphics have come such a long way, it's just my opinion that having blizzard or rain or any sort of effect that obscures vision, while perhaps adding to the emersion in the MWO universe, takes away from the enjoyment of being able to see features, damage on mechs, weapons effects and such. I really like clear maps and getting a close up look at a lance of mechs stomping over the terrain on the way to battle.

Obviously my small post will have no effect on what is delivered, but I do believe I am allowed to post an opinion on the subject :ph34r: And yes, I can also call them crappy if I like. Still you have a point, there may be variants that improve on maps, so while I'll keep leaning towards 'no variants', I'll not be running through the streets at night screaming "NO VARIANTS!" if we do get some.

#30 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostJay Kerensky, on 22 January 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

I do believe I am allowed to post an opinion on the subject :D And yes, I can also call them crappy if I like...etc.

Of course and I wasn't harping that you gave an opinion. But your first reply began simply saying "No more crappy variants" as if it were a self evident point and went on to ask for new content. That the maps are crappy is not self evident but a separate point you'd have to argue for...

I'm in agreement about wanting new maps but I'm just saying I want both, revamps and new maps.

#31 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Every map no matter what variant should start at a random time of day with random appropriate weather conditions. Caustic Monsoon? Alpine Night Blizzard? River City Dawn? Tourmaline Sandstorm?

Yes.

#32 Thejuggla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

I'd like to see variants, more variety with minimal effort. Different spawns, paths could be blocked ect, keep encounters random.

Edited by Thejuggla, 24 January 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#33 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

i m all for this, especially cauldron. Its the best map we have

#34 Tewaz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

I am all for this!

#35 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

View PostJay Kerensky, on 22 January 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

Hello Tyger,
You are correct of course - it is my opinion, but then that's why I posted. I'm not really going to post someone else's opinion :unsure:

To clarify the comment, however, I love MWO and the graphics have come such a long way, it's just my opinion that having blizzard or rain or any sort of effect that obscures vision, while perhaps adding to the emersion in the MWO universe, takes away from the enjoyment of being able to see features, damage on mechs, weapons effects and such. I really like clear maps and getting a close up look at a lance of mechs stomping over the terrain on the way to battle.

Obviously my small post will have no effect on what is delivered, but I do believe I am allowed to post an opinion on the subject :ph34r: And yes, I can also call them crappy if I like. Still you have a point, there may be variants that improve on maps, so while I'll keep leaning towards 'no variants', I'll not be running through the streets at night screaming "NO VARIANTS!" if we do get some.

I agree if the change is too minor, then it might as well be a new map, but we're talking about pretty giant changes, like my Crimson Strait Sunset would be a large change in time and make the city completely different and much less abandoned, we'll have a bunch of miniature civil wars, the sea will run red for a good reason, and maybe even naval warfare and land warfare once ai is in! Imagine spawning right next to a battleship firing artillery across the sky, having anti-air missiles hitting all kinds of random aircraft, and both teams even potentially losing a couple mechs to the ai all over the city! That would be a total change to the map. But I do agree that stuff as simple as changing only night to day, snowy to not snowy, etc... is too small.

#36 Jay Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

View Postluxebo, on 24 January 2014 - 08:05 PM, said:

I agree if the change is too minor, then it might as well be a new map, but we're talking about pretty giant changes, like my Crimson Strait Sunset would be a large change in time and make the city completely different and much less abandoned, we'll have a bunch of miniature civil wars, the sea will run red for a good reason, and maybe even naval warfare and land warfare once ai is in! Imagine spawning right next to a battleship firing artillery across the sky, having anti-air missiles hitting all kinds of random aircraft, and both teams even potentially losing a couple mechs to the ai all over the city! That would be a total change to the map. But I do agree that stuff as simple as changing only night to day, snowy to not snowy, etc... is too small.

Now that's an idea I hadn't thought about - AI intervention as part of a map. OK you guys win, I wasn't thinking big enough. No more 'No Variants' from me, I'll just go with the flow.....

#37 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

Bumpity

#38 Zarlaren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRoseburg

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

View Postluxebo, on 13 January 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

I gave in a few myself a while ago. Whole thread here: http://mwomercs.com/...00#entry3027100
I like the Hurricane on your ideas, that one is good. Also, I like the Manifold idea and same as Destruction variant. Eruption however, I think wouldn't be so favored. I thought of this, but the map would be even more melty, and that isn't good.
But for my map concepts only: Don't judge by names or map variants as of now, some concepts need a redo because I did these in only a little bit of time. My personal favorite is Crimson Straits one on my own, and my least favorite is Caustic Valley one.

Alpine Peaks “global warming version”.
Alpine Peaks had a climate change, so now there’s snow running downhill, potential Avalanches, some grassland showing now, etc. Some mountains have been removed and some downhill will be straightened. Plus those two bases are now removed and replaced with small villages, capable of having mechs fight inside. (So maybe two small River City spawns and a fight in the wilderness, but caps in the two villages.)

Canyon Network “snow version”.
Over time, this planet goes into its winter cycle. This should be a sudden change from the day time heat now is here, but will change into a snowy battlefield and water will freeze. This will be a larger map and a change of temperature. Also, certain canyons will crumble in between the match, potentially damaging mechs in the fight.

Caustic Valley “pollution version”.
Caustic valley now has excessive pollution and there is a large refinery complex covering the entire area. The map turns into a cloudy, smoggy place with no lake, crater less covering mechs, and a large urban complex full of factories, power plants, etc. Thermal vision helps through the short periods of smog incoming.

Crimson Strait “sunset version”.
This city turns either from night to day (sunrise) or day to night (sunset). I already posted this in other threads. The place is totally lit at night, with city lights, civilians and pedestrians, and other vehicles passing through. This allows a time change to change the flow of the battle and makes this city feel less abandoned.

Terra Therma “eradicate version”.
Terra Therma now becomes near uninhabitable. This map now also allows free cool shots due to the near inhabitable areas. Plus, there is a multi-level barely sustainable life complex in Theta now, no more center sniping matches but instead a cool (yes cool) area with lots of brawling in the center. Outside of this complex, the area is extremely hot, but inside the complex, the area is nearly as cool as HPG Manifold. The volcanoes and volcanic area is much shortened. The volcanoes explode as well…

HPG Manifold “sunlight version”.
This map I think should go like MWLL’s extremity map. This will be extremely hot, unlike the previous edition, but inside the HPG or near cover your mech will cool faster. Outside, the sun will heat your mech up quickly. Also, the map is now slightly less filled with gravity and sounds return to normal, meaning noises from 3pv, but the sounds are similar to now with slight changes due to the sun.

Tourmaline Desert “storm version”.
Tourmaline Desert now has a large weather effect on the planet; floods happen everywhere and the area is less dry. However, the storm will cause the pilot’s cockpit to rattle and shake multiple times due to thunder and lightning hitting the ground, so it may impact accuracy of shots.

Caustic Valley- Acid Rain. Should have acid rain doing small aoe damage over time. Pollution should have really high consequences. The lake is no longer water but a big pool of factory acids you should take acid damage if you walk in it. Also acid fog should damage heatsinks trying to cool the mech. Just common sense you trash the environment it trashes you in return.

#39 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:23 AM

I say for the love of decrease APLINE F***ING PEAKS!!! Out of all the maps it is one of the most used map and it is boring because people always go to the same place and die like idiots. Almost all of the fighting is done on the slope where the North base has the better or it is just north west of the north base almost near the tower. I hate it, not because of the map design but because the pugs are literally dum enough to march out in the open straight into the enemy causing a loss because half the team is already dead due to idiocy.

So out of the maps I would just like to see a more even weighting between the maps because I also am getting bored playing either Alpine or Therma every other or in stretches of each.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users