How Many Patches Before You Fix The Switch To Desktop Bug With Dual Monitors?

7 replies to this topic

#1 DConrad

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:20 AM

Please see title. The failure of the game to appropriately capture mouse input and prevent switching to desktop is a longstanding game-wrecking bug. Do we have an ETA on fixing it , or do you not care?

#2 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:36 AM

Have you tried to switch the game from fullscreen to window and then back to fullscreen?

It usually works every time for me, after that the mouse never leaves the primary window. It's a workaround, working on nvidia at least.

#3 DConrad

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 12 January 2014 - 03:36 AM, said:

Have you tried to switch the game from fullscreen to window and then back to fullscreen?

It usually works every time for me, after that the mouse never leaves the primary window. It's a workaround, working on nvidia at least.

Sure, that might work, but it's kind of pointless after i die because the game dumped me to desktop and I was essentially AFK for 20 seconds. At that point, I might as well just restart the client anyway.

#4 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

Please don't kill me for suggesting this. . I know it's a matter of some contention with people who are using multiple monitors, and I'm SURE you're going to come up with reason after reason why it's completely a matter of principle, or honor, but. . .

You could always disconnect the 2nd monitor before you play.....

I KNOW it's not ideal, and NO you probably SHOULDN'T have to, and I'm SURE I'm gonna get lynched for even uttering those sacrilegious words, but it *IS* an option that *WOULD* fix the problem.

#5 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostDConrad, on 12 January 2014 - 03:48 AM, said:

Sure, that might work, but it's kind of pointless after i die because the game dumped me to desktop and I was essentially AFK for 20 seconds. At that point, I might as well just restart the client anyway.

Of course.. I meant "do that each time your match starts", or a few instants after from windowed mechlab, the game goes fullscreen once you drop.

You have to wait 20" before the match starts.. in the meantime you have all the necessary time to alt+enter it to windows and alt+enter out of it. Usually I do it once, after the match and in the consequent drops my mouse never leaves the main monitor. If I have to close the client and reopen, I have to do the procedure again.

It's probably a bug in how MWO handles the first time it goes fullscreen.. it's like it's not exactly fullscreen. I'm not saying that's it isn't annoying, it's a workaround that worked for me since CB. Because it's since CB that bug is there, and at the time I was running an HD 5850 instead of my GTX 660..

View PostSen, on 12 January 2014 - 04:58 AM, said:

Please don't kill me for suggesting this. . I know it's a matter of some contention with people who are using multiple monitors, and I'm SURE you're going to come up with reason after reason why it's completely a matter of principle, or honor, but. . .

You could always disconnect the 2nd monitor before you play.....

I KNOW it's not ideal, and NO you probably SHOULDN'T have to, and I'm SURE I'm gonna get lynched for even uttering those sacrilegious words, but it *IS* an option that *WOULD* fix the problem.

To me it's not ideal.. the point of the second monitor (for me) it's to see Teamspeak, Skype and whatever else I have in there in the meantime I'm playing. I'd get mad if I had to deactivate the secondary monitor each time, losing window positioning in the secondary monitor everytime.. not a darn way ^_^

Edited by John MatriX82, 12 January 2014 - 06:48 AM.

#6 Omnicidal Kitten

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

I run a dual monitor setup and only have issues with mouse capture if I'm actively mucking about with things on my second monitors while the game is trying to load level - and even then it's a very rare event that I can fix in less than 10 seconds while the timer's counting down.

If you're having trouble, make sure you're not meddling about with other programs when you go to launch, and consider leaving the game set to fullscreen windowed. It looks and handles the same as fullscreen, but seems less glitchy and explode-tastic when tabbing back in.

#7 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

For what it's worth we hate the mouse handling in the client as well, this is out of the box CryEngine functionality it simply hasn't made it to the top of the priority list yet, we'll be sure to put some determined effort into it once UI 2.0 is released for anything that persists.

#8 Cest7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

Hasn't been touched in over a year.... are we going to have to wait another?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users