The Underrated Locust

4831 replies to this topic

#3561 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:22 AM

Damage is irrelevant. Did your team win? Then you helped out enough.

A person that rips off 10 components while doing only 500 damage is doing more work than a LRM boater doing 1000 damage but no components.

#3562 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:21 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 22 December 2015 - 05:55 AM, said:

Yeah. 5-6 of those, with the speed of almost a Jenner, and surprisingly good hit boxes? It's beast.

Back to the LOLcust. I recall some time ago, a particularly good and well-known light pilot on the other team in a LCT-1V with a single ERLL. Now, the -1V gets RIDICULOUS laser quirks (50% cooldown, 50% duration, 15% range). Thing is, some other LOLcusts get at least DECENT ones, too. I'm wondering if anyone's tried that in a PB with the ECM aboard (lose a few points off the arms/head, and it fits with the XL 190). It's fairly nonstandard, and probably not a big earner for most (though he got like 600-ish damage and a few kills on Tourmaline in his -1V). Just wondering.

The main problem is that ECM + ERLL isn't really a good enough reason for me to run the ERLL on the PB. The beam always reveals my location. The only threat that ECM helps deal with at long range is LRMs, and I wouldn't worry about them in a locust anyways.

View PostDarthHias, on 23 December 2015 - 12:25 AM, said:

Gotta try this, I can´t make my TDK work anymore...

4MPLs + Radar Deprivation has been doing wonders for me.

#3563 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:02 AM

View PostArcturusWolf, on 23 December 2015 - 01:22 AM, said:

Damage is irrelevant. Did your team win? Then you helped out enough.

A person that rips off 10 components while doing only 500 damage is doing more work than a LRM boater doing 1000 damage but no components.
That LRM boat at that point would likely have stripped the armour of most the enemy team though, which helps a lot.
Or the components could have been shot off / kills made before the LRM could finish it.

At the end of the day, Damage, Kills, Components Destroyed, K/D, etc, it's all small stuff that doesn't matter as a whole.
That you contributed and the team won is what's important.

#3564 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 December 2015 - 04:21 AM, said:

4MPLs + Radar Deprivation has been doing wonders for me.

My old go-to build. Always ran kind of hot for me, but hit pretty hard.

#3565 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:32 AM

Well, I always found 4MPLS to be rather hot, so my old trusted build was 2MPL + 2 Mlas

#3566 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

View PostDarthHias, on 18 December 2015 - 01:58 PM, said:

However one thing really made my angry:
I was in a drop and told my assaults I would hang with them cause Urbie is rather slow. Some guy from the Antares Scorpions started to berate me in chat that I should never again bring that crap mech and bla bla.
So I stayed polite and told him that you can also have fun in this game, and that I also like my Locusts that are considered subpar by some and I can carry as well in those as in my other lights. Then it becam really ugly:
He said that such trash mechs are never seen in Tier1 games. I lold and told him i was in plenty high tier games with it and others too. Then he went on what a glorious comp player he was and I should go back to my ghettotier.
I got a bit angry then. I watched him play after I died, he was in a twin PPC/ twin AC5 marauder.
I gave him some advice cause he wasn´t able to hit an Adder at 250 meters Posted Image he ended the game with 300 dmg no kills.

Something like that doesn´t happen often but I really find it infuriating. Oh btw after he called me ghettotier lol I asked him 4 times about his tier but he wouldn´t tell. Well he made it to my very exclusive list of priority search and destroy targets (Nr. 3)

So now I gotta Locust a bit, my little friends have been neglected for too long. Posted Image

SO, after reading and answering to you post, I told to myself..."why don't you master your fourth lolcust?"

Delicious 1V!!! As soon as I read the quirks, already the build in my mind:
1LPL max engine, LPL cooldown module+range.
Awesome lolliness!!!
You can just press mouse button 1, and spam wubbiness :D

Posted Image

dmg per match= 279

It's a pity I've been insta-shotted in many matches, but if enemies ignore me, I've been able to pump 400-500 dmg.

o/

#3567 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:33 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 24 December 2015 - 11:22 PM, said:

Delicious 1V!!! As soon as I read the quirks, already the build in my mind:
1LPL max engine, LPL cooldown module+range.

The Locust LPL Overlord build. It's been around for a while now xD But it's SO FUN! Spamming that LPL faster than a SPL-- and the locust is actually TANKY to boot! I usually get down to 20-25% hp before exploding on that locust. So much structure and armor on quirks.

Alternatively, throw that LPL on a LCT-3V instead. You trade your insane RoF for greatly increased range: +50% turns your LPL into ERLPL. Who doesn't want an extra 62% range (after module)?!

Edited by ArcturusWolf, 24 December 2015 - 11:34 PM.

#3568 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 25 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

View PostArcturusWolf, on 24 December 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

The Locust LPL Overlord build. It's been around for a while now xD But it's SO FUN! Spamming that LPL faster than a SPL-- and the locust is actually TANKY to boot! I usually get down to 20-25% hp before exploding on that locust. So much structure and armor on quirks.

Alternatively, throw that LPL on a LCT-3V instead. You trade your insane RoF for greatly increased range: +50% turns your LPL into ERLPL. Who doesn't want an extra 62% range (after module)?!

1M gives you the same 50% range boost as the 3V, with added 25% to cooldown, heat gen, and beam duration.

Just sayin' ;)

#3569 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 25 December 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

1M gives you the same 50% range boost as the 3V, with added 25% to cooldown, heat gen, and beam duration.

Just sayin' Posted Image

But 3V is another tankcust D: Mah CT/ST structs!

#3570 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

Hmm. I felt the need for speed today, so I unboxed my LCT-1E from its mothball storage. Went with 6 SL, XL190, 6 DHS - and it somehow worked pretty okay. I wonder if the extra range actually made up for the lower burst damage? Will have to investigate.

Also managed to get stripped down to quite literally the pilot chair of my locust. 19% hp left by the end of the match.

#3571 1Grimbane

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:45 PM

yeah post patch i had three locusts stripped collecting dust with not a lick of unlocks... now they are elited and on the way to master. i think that in some regards the patch made oddman out lights viable again, the swarms used to work back in the day but i haven't seen a light swarm since one could choose gamemode and conquest was riddled with lights. true nascar. but one or two good light pilots can really help out now

#3572 kanamisan

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:55 AM

well, I finaly had a "big" game in the locust, the normal locust 1e 6spl build, 724 damage. and a few kills. but the ironic thing about it, is that we also had a locust 1v as well, who did pretty solid, 380 damage I think. overall, it felt quite fun, but, its one of those battles where you come out at the end, and just dont realise just how much damage you did until the game tells you at the end. also, had a good comando 1d game worth over 500 damage, but. its what it is. ether way, need to play more lights, and now I am getting really tempted to get the spiders.

*edit* right after that, I had a match in my commando 1d over 675 damage, on alpine conquest. did not expect to do well at all on that map, but I will take it.

Edited by kanamisan, 28 December 2015 - 01:10 AM.

#3573 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:41 AM

I tried to make a direstar version of a lolcust. It didn't quite work, but eh...close enough.

LCT-1E

#3574 M3hillus

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:44 AM

If anything, the Low-Cost bandit should be held with a drop of fear, and not as the gooey, chocolate creamy centered cookie it seems to be!

LCT-3M (Wolf One) Running SPL cooldown mod, Cool shot 9x9, UAV, And Radar Dep/Hillclimb
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by M3hillus, 28 December 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#3575 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:01 PM

View PostM3hillus, on 28 December 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

If anything, the Low-Cost bandit should be held with a drop of fear, and not as the gooey, chocolate creamy centered cookie it seems to be!

LCT-3M (Wolf One) Running SPL cooldown mod, Cool shot 9x9, UAV, And Radar Dep/Hillclimb

A good build. LCT-3M suffers from the CT hardpoint, IMO. Makes pinpointing a little harder to do when on the run on rough ground. Still much prefer the 1E for its usability; all the 6E hardpoints are on the arms.

On the topic of bandits...here is the one-armed bandit of the Lolcust world:

LCT-1E One-Armed Bandit

It's a trollish build, but you'd be amazed at how fun it is xD It's like driving a rocket bike with one massive gun!

#3576 M3hillus

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:20 AM

Although I agree with you slightly, the quirks make the 3M a better knife fighter than the 1E if both boat spl.

#3577 A HeadlessChicken

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGO ROYALS!!!

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:56 AM

So, I took down a King Crab today solo in my Pirate's Bane.

Poor thing didn't know what was happening to him.

I keep trying other mechs but I can't handle how slow they are.

#3578 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

View PostHedlessChickn, on 30 December 2015 - 07:56 AM, said:

You've gone too deep to come back up now. XD

#3579 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

View PostHedlessChickn, on 30 December 2015 - 07:56 AM, said:

Yep. Let the need for speed consume you. Become one of the speed freaks that is the locust family!

View PostM3hillus, on 29 December 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

Although I agree with you slightly, the quirks make the 3M a better knife fighter than the 1E if both boat spl.

Ehh?

1E has all the accel/decel quirks that the 3M has, but with more energy quirks o.O How is the 3M better? It even has 1 less hardpoint than the 1E. I think you might be mistaking the 1M's quirks for the 3M's, but the 1M only has 2 torso E hardpoints.

Edited by ArcturusWolf, 31 December 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#3580 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:53 PM

I splurged and bought an lpl cool down module for my locust 1v. Just Wow!

Pro tip- don't let the audio of the laser recharging throw you off, it cools down much quicker.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users