#4041 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

View PostKuaron, on 31 May 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

Now the last hours of the event running:
Is the Pirate worth buying even if it will stay not mastered for a long time?
Mech Bays and stuff...
If you like Locusts, then very yes.

My favourite 3 Locusts would be 1M, 1E and PB.

Its stock version isn't bad, and it comes with that required 190XL for all your Locusting needs, as well as all the upgrades it needs.
I bought mine full price, and it was well worth that.

#4042 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:02 PM

Idk if I like them, my lightest Mech is Raven (which I like) and I'm thinking about using the opportunity to try half it's weight class. ^^

#4043 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:41 PM

View PostKuaron, on 31 May 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

Idk if I like them, my lightest Mech is Raven (which I like) and I'm thinking about using the opportunity to try half it's weight class. ^^
Locusts are a whole different animal to every other mech in the game.

It's like piloting a fighter jet on meth.

You flit around, literally dancing through the battlefield at 165kph.

It teaches you the maps, it teaches you to dodge and move, if you learn to Locust it has a knock on effect to your piloting of every other mech.

You are so fragile, Locust Theory is scary and actually succeeding takes patience to learn, and an attitude of controlled suicide.

But the rewards are worth it if you learn, it's great fun.

#4044 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:12 PM

Well, I'm not playing this game for repeating the same actions over again, but to see, what is possible out there.
But what is this scary Locust Theory?

#4045 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

View PostKuaron, on 31 May 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

Well, I'm not playing this game for repeating the same actions over again, but to see, what is possible out there.
But what is this scary Locust Theory?

View PostOvion, on 08 May 2016 - 06:03 AM, said:

This was originally (and one day, hopefully will be) part of a full fledged Locust Theory document.

However, this is a collection of info on how to build a Locust, the basics of Locust theory and effective builds for the mech.

This document will be updated, and feel free to ask for Locust advice and suggest new builds for the list.

These are the Stock Locusts:This is what they look like when you get them.
Bar the Pirate's Bane, outside of Stock Matches, it's all pretty bad.

What you want instead, is to craft the following 'blank slates' for each of your Locusts.
Base Locusts (Armour, Engine):Locust Armour Theory is slightly counter intuitive, and more than a little scary to look at on paper, but hopefully it will all become clear as you read the following.

The goal here is pure optimisation.
With how small the Locust is, and how light, you can't put enough Armour anywhere to properly shrug of anything, and you're quite reliant on speed.
Spoiler

Additionally, if absolutely necessary, you can reduce the Engine Size for certain builds / gimmicks, this gives you the following speeds:
Spoiler

Common and Uncommon Locust Builds:
LCT-1E

LCT-1M

LCT-1V

LCT-3M

LCT-3S

LCT-3V

LCT-PB

#4046 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:12 PM

Ah, you mean the builds list.
Yes, I already looked through the PB's one (since it was linked on the last page) and found the choices for where to reduce armour quite obvious and not that different from other Mechs'.

#4047 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:20 PM

It's not just builds, up the top there's a section on armour and layout and such.

One day I'll revive the full doc I was working on before my hard drive imploded. xD

#4048 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

Yes, I saw, but as said.
What I was actually wondering about is why so many PB builds are missing FF where it could be easily squeezed in. Does it have a reason?

#4049 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:17 PM

Space.
Purely space.

The 'standard' optimised Locust with XL, DHS, ES, FF will have 7T and 8 slots free.
Most Locusts have 5-6 Hardpoints, leaving often 0-3 free slots.

The Pirate's Bane has 4 E, 2B, ECM, which is a total of 9 slots minimum if all used.
But, you don't need arm or head armour, meaning you can get the same 7T without FF.

#4050 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:45 PM

OK, had now my first few rounds.
First one:
Oh, this is fun! Run around a bit, and then met a streak crow. End.
Then came a loss on Tourmaline with 400+ dmg. Then another on arctic, with a very long duel against a cheetah. It's a nice experience that you can just do your thing and get ignored by the enemy team. Noone wants to try to hit a tiny ECM flea, neither do I in a bigger Mech.

After a little experimentation with the layout I'll stay with 2MPL+2SPL+ECM+XL190 for now, seems to be a good heat balance. At a later point I'll prbbly be testing some MG build, I think, because I never had yet.
Something like 1MPL+2ML+2MGs+rest.

#4051 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:17 PM

View PostKuaron, on 31 May 2016 - 08:45 PM, said:

Noone wants to try to hit a tiny ECM flea, neither do I in a bigger Mech.

False. Many people want to hit the cookie. Especially if you paint it a properly bright color to mock their low gunnery skill ratings.

#4052 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:27 PM

View PostTim East, on 31 May 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

False. Many people want to hit the cookie. Especially if you paint it a properly bright color to mock their low gunnery skill ratings.

LOL

yep a bright paint job makes a great super squirrel LOL

but wait till you try the PB with a single ERPPC from way behind the red line. after a bit all they want to do is kill the locust.

the HOTH crusier

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3c727c361a6959c

know your maps. circle wide get behind and tickle them till they get mad enough to chase you. oh and don't stand around most lights will catch you and eat you alive in a knife fight

#4053 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:09 PM

View PostTim East, on 31 May 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

This. I know it makes my day if I manage to oneshot a lolcust using a dual ERPPC kfx. Most other heavier mechs do the same, even if they don't have lower arm actuators nor the traverse rate to actually do it...

#4054 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:31 AM

Why? The thing is impossible to hit while moving. O.o

One single ERPPCs won't be my favourite, I think. For freeing up the Mechbay for the PB I sold a Thunderbolt 9S (dual ERPPC) for mainly one reason: In it's best matches, where it manages to shoot all battle long, it made not even 800 DMG. An ERLL build (e.g. the Jester I bought this weekend or the TRB-5SS built this way) does twice as much in mainly the same situations!
Now a light with one of the things will probably be very annoying b/c of the shaking effect when hit, but also do only half the damage. The quirks don't differ that much.
HERE a match where a Raven pilot (and he even has secondary weaponry!) shoots an entire FP game long non-stop his ERPPC, and after 20 minutes (!) has just something over 900 dmg. One of the youtube videos which do not let one want to try it yourself, aiming and shooting >100 times for such a result is simply too much work for me. ^^

Edited by Kuaron, 01 June 2016 - 05:34 AM.

#4055 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:03 AM

People often underestimate the long-range capabilities of Light mechs. Most people I have talked to have said that Lights should be relegated to short-range work, but they are quite capable of long-range combat, and they can do it well. Mech like the Adder, the Kit Fox, the Panther, the ERPPC Pirates Bane, the ERPPC Mist Lynx, and many others are very capable kill thieves, harassers, and support units.

#4056 Insufficient Skill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

Taking up the cudgels on behalf of LCT-1V, since so many great scores from 1E have been posted by outstanding pilots.
So, since I couldn't find anything post-patch, here's for the 1V to join the 1.000-DMG-club. A little low on kills, 2 were stolen, had 5 KMDD that match.

Posted Image

#4057 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostInsufficient Skill, on 06 June 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

Taking up the cudgels on behalf of LCT-1V, since so many great scores from 1E have been posted by outstanding pilots.
So, since I couldn't find anything post-patch, here's for the 1V to join the 1.000-DMG-club. A little low on kills, 2 were stolen, had 5 KMDD that match.

Awesome job. 1011 DMG over 466 seconds puts you at 2.17dps. Given that the maximum DPS of the poke locust is 4-ish before heat considerations that's pretty incredible. It means you were firing, and hitting, for more than half the match. The 1V with derp module is the best poker, bar none, but you still need a good team stonewalling the enemy for you to put out damage numbers like that. If a team melts too fast or hides too much you can become the center of attention and you can get poked back, hard.

#4058 Insufficient Skill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:16 PM

That's totally true! The team was doing a really good job at keeping the enemy down in the F7-ish valley and at the same time was nice enough not to pressure them too hard so the 1V could do it's job unimpaired for quite a while. Posted Image

WRT damage per second: I am not really sure, but I think I've read somewhere, that when for example you shoot off a side torso, you get the damage for the arm credited as well. Might explain that absurdly high number.

View Postno one, on 06 June 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

[...] the poke locust [...]

I hereby request, that the LPL-1V is officially nicknamed and henceforth referred to only as „The Pokecust".

Edited by Insufficient Skill, 06 June 2016 - 11:20 PM.

#4059 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:23 AM

View PostInsufficient Skill, on 06 June 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

I hereby request, that the LPL-1V is officially nicknamed and henceforth referred to only as „The Pokecust".

And you can name yours 'Hocus' so it can be "The Hocus Pokecust".
I mean; it's clearly magic.

Edited by no one, 07 June 2016 - 12:24 AM.

#4060 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:16 PM

Secret Peanut Butter lover detected:

Posted Image

And yes, that is how it looks like in my home town Posted Image

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook