Which ones?

#4162 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

Just wondering, but I am gonna finally get to the locusts. Got enough MC from buying the steam light mech pack (for the special versions) that I can pickup a pirates bane. How do these little guys handle compared to TDK? Obviously paper maché armor, and ridiculously fast, but similar hitting power as TDK?

#4163 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

View PostBluefalcon13, on 29 June 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

Just wondering, but I am gonna finally get to the locusts. Got enough MC from buying the steam light mech pack (for the special versions) that I can pickup a pirates bane. How do these little guys handle compared to TDK? Obviously paper maché armor, and ridiculously fast, but similar hitting power as TDK?

Locusts in general outperform commandos in general. They have better turning and accel/decel quirks which makes a huge difference in the way they handle. The PB specifically will have the same potential hitting power as the tdk with 4 E hard points. You do get ecm with the PB though. The recommended set up on a locust is 5/1/5 arm/head armor with FF and Endo. With max engine this gives you 7 tons to play with. 4 ml and 4 spl builds are pretty common for the PB. I also like 2 mpl/2sl or strip all head and arm armor and go 4 spl/2mg.

For more info:

http://mwomercs.com/...ry-locust-help/

Edited by 3xnihilo, 29 June 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#4164 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 29 June 2016 - 05:15 PM, said:

Locusts in general outperform commandos in general. They have better turning and accel/decel quirks which makes a huge difference in the way they handle. The PB specifically will have the same potential hitting power as the tdk with 4 E hard points. You do get ecm with the PB though. The recommended set up on a locust is 5/1/5 arm/head armor with FF and Endo. With max engine this gives you 7 tons to play with. 4 ml and 4 spl builds are pretty common for the PB. I also like 2 mpl/2sl or strip all head and arm armor and go 4 spl/2mg.

For more info:
http://mwomercs.com/...ry-locust-help/

I like 2MPL, 2ML, with an XL180 on the PB myself. "Mixed Greens" :)

#4165 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 29 June 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

I like 2MPL, 2ML, with an XL180 on the PB myself. "Mixed Greens" :)

Aye, I have not tried that one, but I really should sometime.

#4166 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:17 PM

awesome guys. Look forward to it. Gotta finally do a Raven 3L (Super stock build, narcing and tagging it up), then the Arctic Cheetahs. Then it is on to the Locusts. The Phoenix Hawk has me missing my lights :P

I bookmarked the link you included for future reading. Been eye-ballin the Pirate's Bane for a while. Always looked build wise like my TDK, just with ECM (and even less paper mache armor :P )

#4167 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:00 PM

View PostBluefalcon13, on 29 June 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

locust are pure roll of the dice mech. there are a lot of ifs that have to stack to get that crazy high damage number. also be ready to bug out at the first sign the reds have you targeted. nothing worse then a good light killing med sticking with the fatties to ruin your day.

never forget the Hoth cruiser erppc ecm PB for pure LOLz or the duel LRM5 littlest LRM dingy.

locusts you don't have to be crazy,

but it helps...

#4168 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

View Postloopala, on 29 June 2016 - 07:00 PM, said:

locust are pure roll of the dice mech. there are a lot of ifs that have to stack to get that crazy high damage number.

Not really. Locusts shine when the enemy is bad, which is likely in Solo.

In general, all skill equal, piloting a light is a losing proposition withthe given maps/objectives.

But, in Solo, you are leveraging bad enemy aim and bad enemy tactics vs your small size, agility, and low-end target priority.

You have to pilot Locusts like a coward. But when you get a good opportunity, you have to commit in a very hard manner.

Good Locust pilots can sort out the enemies who camp/leeroy and get out of position, find the LRM boats in the back, know how to pick at the edges of a murderball, know where snipers like to roost, can harass a Assault to keep them from firing on teammates, enemies who will chase a cookie, vulture, and support a push.

This is not a bunch of random 'ifs' but rather pilot awareness.

#4169 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:07 AM

View PostHelene de Montfort, on 21 June 2016 - 03:20 PM, said:

Small things are cute...

is that what she said?

#4170 Helene de Montfort

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 262 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPays de Loire

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 30 June 2016 - 02:07 AM, said:

is that what she said?

No, she said "Again!", that's why there's a second video Posted Image

#4171 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:32 PM

Here are my primary builds:

LCT-1E

LCT-3S

LCT-3M

Slight tweak to the expected formula. I find the XL 190 unnecessary for the 3S due to its agility quirks and the 1E due to its range bracket, so that gives me another half ton to play with. The 3M I keep flipping between the MPL+SL and SPL builds. I think the latter is stronger in absolute terms because it specializes so well at one bracket, but the former is so much more flexible.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 01 July 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#4172 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 30 June 2016 - 10:32 PM, said:

Here are my primary builds:

LCT-1E

LCT-3S

LCT-3M

Slight tweak to the expected formula. I find the XL 190 unnecessary for the 3S due to its agility quirks and the 1E due to its range bracket, so that gives me another half ton to play with. The 3M I keep flipping between the MPL+SL and SPL builds. I think the latter is stronger in absolute terms because it specializes so well at one bracket, but the former is so much more flexible.

I agree on the 3S, I run the 180. I haven't found I need/want the extra half-ton on the 1E, personally.

I mastered my 3M with a poke-flanker build: 1LL, 2ML. Played it like a lightning-fast half-Sparky.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, more than the 1E knock-offs, and more than my other attempts to custom-fit the 3M.

Edited by Virlutris, 01 July 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#4173 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:20 AM

View PostVirlutris, on 01 July 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

I agree on the 3S, I run the 180. I haven't found I need/want the extra half-ton on the 1E, personally.

I mastered my 3M with a poke-flanker build: 1LL, 2ML. Played it like a lightning-fast half-Sparky.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, more than the 1E knock-offs, and more than my other attempts to custom-fit the 3M.

Normally I would say one extra DHS doesn't make a difference, but on the 1E I can feel its absence when using 6xML. I've done the 5xML, too, but find that a 25 alpha on such a slow-cycling weapon is not as good as being able to just dump 30 and run. Before quirks I actually almost never played this variant since, in my opinion, using the extra energy slot made the chassis run so hot that it reduced performance. The 3M was just better.

Also, are those links working? I see the appropriate URL, but every time I click them it takes me to a blank slate of the variant in question.

#4174 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 July 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:

Normally I would say one extra DHS doesn't make a difference, but on the 1E I can feel its absence when using 6xML. I've done the 5xML, too, but find that a 25 alpha on such a slow-cycling weapon is not as good as being able to just dump 30 and run. Before quirks I actually almost never played this variant since, in my opinion, using the extra energy slot made the chassis run so hot that it reduced performance. The 3M was just better.

Also, are those links working? I see the appropriate URL, but every time I click them it takes me to a blank slate of the variant in question.

I can track that line of reasoning. I'll admit that I don't spend enough time in the 1E to try different builds and note the change in performance.

Also, tabula rasa confirmed. Your locusts are blank slates, waiting for you to make your mark on locust meta. Choose well, their future is in your hands ;)

#4175 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 01 July 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

I can track that line of reasoning. I'll admit that I don't spend enough time in the 1E to try different builds and note the change in performance.

Also, tabula rasa confirmed. Your locusts are blank slates, waiting for you to make your mark on locust meta. Choose well, their future is in your hands Posted Image

Apparently they are only blank if I click the links inside the quote. If I click the original post's links, they work fine.

Smurfy is weird.

Anyway, here's the text version just in case:

LCT-1E
- XL 180
- 11x DHS (2xLT +2xRT)
- 6x Medium Laser (3xRA + 3xLA)
- Endo

Armor Distribution is Legs(16), Arms(7), Sides (18/2), Center (22/2), Head (2)

LCT-3M
- XL 190
- 10x DHS (1xLT +2xRT)
- 3x Medium Pulse (1xRA + 1xLA + 1xCT)
- 2x Small Laser (1xRA + 1xLA)
- Endo
- Ferro

Armor Distribution is Legs(15), Arms(7), Sides (18/1), Center (22/2), Head (1)

LCT-3S
- XL 180
- 10x DHS (1xLT +2xRT)
- 1x Small Laser
- 4x SRM2 (3xRA + 3xLA)
- 3 tons of ammo (1xH + 1xCT+ 1xRL)
- Endo

I've been fine-tuning these things since 2014. It's an art-form at this point.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 01 July 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#4176 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 July 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

Apparently they are only blank if I click the links inside the quote. If I click the original post's links, they work fine.

Smurfy is weird.

Anyway, here's the text version just in case:

LCT-1E
- XL 180
- 11x DHS (2xLT +2xRT)
- 6x Medium Laser (3xRA + 3xLA)
- Endo

Armor Distribution is Legs(16), Arms(7), Sides (18/2), Center (22/2), Head (2)

LCT-3M
- XL 190
- 10x DHS (1xLT +2xRT)
- 3x Medium Pulse (1xRA + 1xLA + 1xCT)
- 2x Small Laser (1xRA + 1xLA)
- Endo
- Ferro

LCT-3S
- XL 180
- 10x DHS (1xLT +2xRT)
- 1x Small Laser
- 4x SRM2 (3xRA + 3xLA)
- 3 tons of ammo (1xH + 1xCT+ 1xRL)
- Endo

I've been fine-tuning these things since 2014. It's an art-form at this point.

Okay yeah, I can see where you'd want the extra half ton on the 6ML edition of the 1E.

#4177 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:02 AM

Huh, I think I like that XL180 Version of the 1E, I will try that.

#4178 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:56 AM

View PostDarthHias, on 02 July 2016 - 01:02 AM, said:

Huh, I think I like that XL180 Version of the 1E, I will try that.

XL 180 is the key to many abilities that the Jedi would call "unnatural."

#4179 Insufficient Skill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:12 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 29 June 2016 - 07:37 PM, said:

Not really. Locusts shine when the enemy is bad, which is likely in Solo.

In general, all skill equal, piloting a light is a losing proposition withthe given maps/objectives.

No skill needed. ;)

Had a bad streak of luck today with mostly rather timid teams (which does not work in a Locust, because the enemy can then concentrate on you), but then this happened:

Posted Image
(LCT-3M, XL190, ES&FF, max. armor, 4 DHS, 5 SPL + Modules)

#4180 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:24 AM

View PostInsufficient Skill, on 02 July 2016 - 06:12 AM, said:

Had a bad streak of luck today with mostly rather timid teams (which does not work in a Locust, because the enemy can then concentrate on you), but then this happened:

(LCT-3M, XL190, ES&FF, max. armor, 4 DHS, 5 SPL + Modules)

Sweet Mecha-Jesus.

Very inspiring. Ive been having the bads recently. Pulling 100-200 damage matches. Ill need to roll Locust with this new inspiration and fix my game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users