4831 replies to this topic

#4741 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:00 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 05 January 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

So I logged in for the first time in many many months ( wth is "incursion"?) skilled out my 1e (all agility and firepower armor is for n00bs) and then discovered NEW WEAPONS...I am convinced that the combination of ersl and mpl was invented just for the locust!

Now if I can just remember how to aim...

It's amusing on a couple of them, you bet :D

#4742 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

Hey friends, can you get me up to speed on current locust-craft?

#4743 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

Are you sure you want my.opinon?

I can trend a little toward trollzy and lolzy builds on my Lolcusts.

Like the LCT-1M with 2xML (or was it MPL?) and the biggest Rocket launchers I can find.

Or my kitchen sink Pirate's Bane with 2MG, 2ERSL, 2MPL, no ECM. Trololohhhhhh!

Edit, adding: sell all your SPLs. Chris sledgehammer nerfed them into oblivion (spreadsheets!), with Russ and Paul's consent.

1E is a 5- or 6-ML rapid flank and shank mech now.

3M has nice cool down, is nifty for 5 ML, dunno about 5 ERML. I tried MPL+ERSL, I liked it in concept, n3ver got the feel for it in practice (on this mech).

Edited by Virlutris, 07 January 2018 - 12:33 PM.

#4744 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

the tried and true Hoth cruiser (lct PB) has been updated to stealth armor and a snub nose ppc

#4745 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

View Postloopala, on 07 January 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

the tried and true Hoth cruiser (lct PB) has been updated to stealth armor and a snub nose ppc

Wait...stealth armor...what?!?!

#4746 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 07 January 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

Wait...stealth armor...what?!?!

see B33F's vid

https://www.youtube....4&v=sh269Va6ln0

original HOTH Cruiser

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...57dedcfbaa22f1f

Updated steath HOTH Cruiser

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...585eeb4d8c706b0

kind of real pest from 400m in

#4747 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

Ummm...stealth...armor? o.O

Holy smokes...what the hell else have we missed, eh 3x?!!

#4748 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

View PostRip Snorgan, on 07 January 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

Ummm...stealth...armor? o.O

Holy smokes...what the hell else have we missed, eh 3x?!!

First r real, I am wondering why you would want any different armor, and how stealth armor works, and what does ecm do now, and, and, and . . .ROCKET LAUNCHERS! Whew!

#4749 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:41 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 07 January 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

First r real, I am wondering why you would want any different armor, and how stealth armor works, and what does ecm do now, and, and, and . . .ROCKET LAUNCHERS! Whew!
Rocket Launchers sadly are currently a bit... buggered.

PGI decided to 'balance them' to make them do 2.x damage a rocket (currently at 2, earlier it was 2.7 or something absurd I think). But then this was too good, so to 'balance' that, they added a minimum arming range of 50M.
Which doesn't work properly. Sometimes it's 50, sometimes it's 90, sometimes it's 180, sometimes it's never.
I'd have rather tha just dropped the damage to 1-1.5 instead and just remove the minrange... but heyho.
My disappointment there is real.

Edited by Ovion, 08 January 2018 - 02:41 AM.

#4750 Gator the angry pimp

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNorthern California, USA

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

soooo......

3s
xl190
narc w/ 1.5tons ammo
1x flamer
ams w/ .5tons ammo

by FAR the most fun you can have with your clothes on

#4751 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2bdac7f0972fb5e

Let loose the bugs of war!!!

True... only good for one big HolyWTFHitMe attack or share the love.
Honestly I'm not sure how that would work out if the Locust only accommodates up to SRM6s. Would leave you with a stream of rockets. Realistically I'd put at least a ML on the nose so you can stay in the fight until someone legs you.

#4752 gamingcthulhu

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

I come here to make a confession. No less then 2 weeks ago I purchased (with Cbil) and almost immediately scrapped a locust. I must now say I made a huge mistake. I hope that everyone here can forgive me for my horrible sins.

Over the previous weekend I decided to give the ole Pirates Bane a go if nothing else it looked nice and could remind me of the old tabletop days. Well then I decided to mess around with stealth armor. Never even changed the weapons just the armor and loaded it up with UAVs. My god how is everyone not running around like mad chickens sneaking behind enemy lines dropping UAVs playing mind games with assaults as they try to figure out what is hitting them.

My favorite match so far involved me dropping a UAV in the middle of the enemy death ball (after running in front of half of them unnoticed) then finding a Hunchback IIc lagging behind on his own. So I sneak around behind him and strip his back and as he starts looking for me I just keep hiding on his back side. Once he does find me I play a little bit with him then run off and leave him be as I go drop another UAV. Then I go back to where I knew he was heading and find him all alone again and once again open up on his now exposed back taking him out. Then that same match snuck up behind an assault who had just stepped out in to the open to get some shots off and then started to pull back... so I just ran up to his but and let him do some scrapping with his legs as he got opened up on because he couldn't pull back. No real damage on my part but because of the stealth and small size the only thing he new was something was blocking him but his team never opened up on me even though I was visible to like 3 of them. It was a great time.

So hopefully I have redeemed myself to some extent.... However as great as the Locust is my heart will always belong to Urby... but maybe we can have room in our hearts for both the locust and Urby as they are both so small?

Edited by gamingcthulhu, 09 January 2018 - 09:08 AM.

#4753 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

View PostDarrious Quinn, on 09 January 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2bdac7f0972fb5e

Let loose the bugs of war!!!

True... only good for one big HolyWTFHitMe attack or share the love.
Honestly I'm not sure how that would work out if the Locust only accommodates up to SRM6s. Would leave you with a stream of rockets. Realistically I'd put at least a ML on the nose so you can stay in the fight until someone legs you.

like I have said again and again, the skill of a light pilot is not on how much damage he can do, but how good he is at get behind someone without being seen. Then the damage takes care of it's self, or at least causing some M&M within the other teams ranks. (Murder and Mayhem)

And yes, I have used this to one shot the back of a few assaults and LRM boats who got to watch the rest of the match and a standing Narc raven (he thought that he was safe, ha)

#4754 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

View Postgamingcthulhu, on 09 January 2018 - 09:07 AM, said:

I come here to make a confession. No less then 2 weeks ago I purchased (with Cbil) and almost immediately scrapped a locust. I must now say I made a huge mistake. I hope that everyone here can forgive me for my horrible sins.

Over the previous weekend I decided to give the ole Pirates Bane a go if nothing else it looked nice and could remind me of the old tabletop days. Well then I decided to mess around with stealth armor. Never even changed the weapons just the armor and loaded it up with UAVs. My god how is everyone not running around like mad chickens sneaking behind enemy lines dropping UAVs playing mind games with assaults as they try to figure out what is hitting them.

My favorite match so far involved me dropping a UAV in the middle of the enemy death ball (after running in front of half of them unnoticed) then finding a Hunchback IIc lagging behind on his own. So I sneak around behind him and strip his back and as he starts looking for me I just keep hiding on his back side. Once he does find me I play a little bit with him then run off and leave him be as I go drop another UAV. Then I go back to where I knew he was heading and find him all alone again and once again open up on his now exposed back taking him out. Then that same match snuck up behind an assault who had just stepped out in to the open to get some shots off and then started to pull back... so I just ran up to his but and let him do some scrapping with his legs as he got opened up on because he couldn't pull back. No real damage on my part but because of the stealth and small size the only thing he new was something was blocking him but his team never opened up on me even though I was visible to like 3 of them. It was a great time.

So hopefully I have redeemed myself to some extent.... However as great as the Locust is my heart will always belong to Urby... but maybe we can have room in our hearts for both the locust and Urby as they are both so small?

Situational awareness is OP.

GG :D

Edited by Virlutris, 09 January 2018 - 02:11 PM.

#4755 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

Try the stealth PB with a SNPPC. Within 50m it is hilarious on lone assaults

#4756 TheFourthAlly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMelbs, Oz

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:01 AM

I still seem to hit a lot of air with ppcs, but anything that makes the long-ranged big kids go 'Duhrrr?' and turn around is good stuff.

One dead Jagermech, a back-cored Timby and an angry Kodiak stomping away from the main fight because their precious rear paint got scratched has to be good for something right?

I mean, apart from me giggling madly in my tiny cockpit, just before I press the magic button and disappear from the radar again.

#4757 gamingcthulhu

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

Yea I find I go into fits of maddening laughter sometimes. Being able to sneak behind the enemy and core out the backside of an annihilator the enemy team left stranded behind. Then running up right between their entire team dropping a UAV before backing back around to the flank to help take out a damaged unit then running across 75% of the map to chase off a raven that is capping our base then flying back in to refresh a UAV and then begin to dance in the middle of them so they take their attention off our front lines.

I really love playing the annoying scout/pest. I mean if the enemy lights actually turn to deal with me it can get dicey but most the time they are off doing similar things hopefully or just kinda playing peak a boo with the front line.

The only time I've ever cackled more then in my locust was a Terra Therma map in my flamer and HMG Urbanmech... being able to effectively shutdown anything that was remotely damaged and then destroy them with the MG was glorious.

#4758 gamingcthulhu

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

So I think I may have had my retirement match with my Pirates Bane. Mind you this sucker is stock with the exception of adding stealth armor. So just the 4 small lasers and 2 machine guns. In the end it was 5 kills (2 solo kills against assaults) 1 Annihilator that just kept walking in a straight line till I had his back completely opened up. With 829 damage done with weapons alone and an absurd amount of UAV spotting.

https://imgur.com/gallery/iKp3o

Anyone who goes around trying to tell any light mech, especially a locust, that they have to stay with the murder ball just doesn't understand what something that fast is really capable of doing. Yes you can get caught out by yourself and chased down if the enemy spots you early. But if you can use map knowledge and take your time you can be on the back of a group of enemies providing targeting data, movement details and when the brawl begins being able to turn multiple mechs away from your lines as you get in a passing shot as you move to cover can all be vital. Also picking up that lone Assault mech that the enemy team left behind because he was slower then them is hilarious as you know they are yelling at their team. So as a reminder for everyone if you are moving together it's best to move at the slowest persons speed and not that of your mediums or lights.

#4759 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:02 AM

Posted Image

#4760 Steel Wool Atlas

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist