Uav - How It Works

Guide

22 replies to this topic

#21 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:38 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 22 May 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

It does have a max visual range so throwing it up high in the sky might not work so well. I forget what the range is.

Smurfy's site gives it's range as 240M horizontal and unless I'm reading it wrong, 150M vertical. That probably means it's launched 150M up in the air, as that seems to be about it's normal altitude and I've never experienced any problems with a friendly UAV failing to spot targets on lower ground. It does need to be tested more thoroughly but as far as I can tell a UAV's altitude is irrelevant.

I've also countered that on at least one occasion as I was on teamspeak with an enemy premade at the time, trying for a 5 man sync drop. It seemed to work fine for them until I shot down the UAV, which I could only do because I was a sizeable distance away from the main group and I already knew it was there.

A good way to test it would be to try it and try to gauge how far from the UAV you can still get targets, jumping from high ground and then launching would be preferable.

#22 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:26 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 23 May 2014 - 12:38 AM, said:

It does need to be tested more thoroughly but as far as I can tell a UAV's altitude is irrelevant.

For the purpose of it's efficacy in spotting targets, I believe you are current.

For the purpose of the enemy shooting it down when it's drops DIRECTLY above them, that 150m ensures that they can't, unless someone at the fringe of it's range looks up.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 23 May 2014 - 05:26 AM.

#23 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:28 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 23 May 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

For the purpose of it's efficacy in spotting targets, I believe you are current.

For the purpose of the enemy shooting it down when it's drops DIRECTLY above them, that 150m ensures that they can't, unless someone at the fringe of it's range looks up.

That's my point, jumping and then launching it makes it harder to spot even if the enemy isn't directly under it, so if the UAV's altitude doesn't affect it's range launching it as high as possible is always better. I know I wouldn't have been able to even see that UAV from the incident I mentioned had I been anywhere near it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users