Ui 2.0 Preview 3⅓ - Feedback Questionnaire

357 replies to this topic

#41 Super Don Quixote

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview?

- The mech selection is by far the best improvement. Not having to scroll through 50 mechs in order is priceless.
- Full screen is nice. Graphics are great.
- Inventory list is SWEET! (however, I would like to see my equipped inventory as well here, or the option to show it)
- Overall, UI 2.0 is leaps and bounds better than the current UI. Well done.

2) What do you like least about the UI 2.0 Preview?

- Inventory list does not show equipped items.
- Inventory/Module list should show all modules equipped and which mechs they are equipped on.
- Would like to see more stats on weapons/equipment when outfitting mech.
- Using smurfy's should only be needed when we don't own a mech... if we still need to go to smurfy's to mock up a mech that we own because of lack of info/statistics/tools in UI 2.0, that needs work.

3) What are your impressions of the Social system in the Front-End?

- Can't move chat windows around.
- Can't close chat windows without closing whole social UI.
- Can't have multiple chat windows open.
- Need better (more prominent) indicator when receiving chat message while not in social mode.

4) What are your impressions of the Store menus in the Front-End?

- When buying mech, no mech statistics are displayed (we shouldn't have to go to a 3rd party site to view mech details before we buy).
- (Dreaming) would be nice to be able to outfit mech before buying, then just buy it all at once.

5) What are your impressions of the in-game interface?

- Old font was better.

6) Any other comments or concerns?

Main concern: will this be release as promised on Feb 4th? Even with all the missing/erroneous features, this UI is still better than what we have. Please release it!

#42 Syntax Error22

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts

1) Full screen is good, cleaner interface that allows other modules to work (like Launch and Tutorial), grid layout for picking a mech to launch with is nice.

2) TL;DR PGI needs to overhaul the UI 2.0 layout! UNTIL THIS IS FIXED I WILL NOT BUY ANY CLAN MECHS OR PACKS!

Seriously PGI, you say you listened to feedback twice now. Aside from minor changes, I see nothing new that was mentioned in almost every reply from the last 2 public tests. Here's my shortlist of what PGI NEEDS TO FIX!
-The overall layout is bad and you should feel bad. It takes WAY too many clicks and drags to customize a mech. Important things like the "Check out" button (why is this not just called "Save Loadout"?), tonnage, number of heat sinks, and weapon loadouts are either very small or STILL not in the UI
-Why can't I STILL not see what weapons are on my mech when I am selecting one to launch with? I know this was a very common feedback topic from the FIRST public test. What is so hard about showing the weapon loadout like you do ALREADY in UI 1.5?
-Double click to add and remove items is missing. This is in UI 1.5, WHY is this left out?
-Social button is EVEN HARDER TO SEE. Do not hide it at the bottom!
-Group chat is on the other side of the screen from the friends list and cannot be moved around.
-FILTERS! You can filter mechs you own and mechs to buy, but WHY can I NOT filter weapons and engines? I wanted to load an XL into my K2, had to scroll through all the standard engines to get to the XL I own. Reminds me too much of 1.5.

3) Social system? The button is too small and hard to see. Friends list is fine. Group chat is too far away from friends list.

4) Store menu need the same fixes. I can't see the hardpoints or loadouts of mechs I want to buy.

5)Tried one game, did not notice any changes to in-game UI besides the ESC menu. It was basic but it did it's job.

6) Again, PGI, when you say you listen to feedback, actually LISTEN and change what needs to be changed. If it will take a while to do, TELL US. If you are going to release UI 2.0 like this and then fix it later, TELL US.

#43 Dumbo

Rookie

• The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 7 posts

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish)
It was much more refined and easier to select the mech I want out of the 30+ I have. Full screen is cool.

I wish there was a search function to look up which mech has a certain engine you want to move. I use my XL300 on a bunch of my different mechs and sometimes it is hard to find or if you dont want to buy 200 large lasers you could look up which mechs have large lasers on them and strip them and move it to the mech you want. I am a penny pincher and sometimes it is hard to find my advanced zoom module. Then I have to look for it since i do not want to buy multiples.
I also liked how U.I. 1.5 would zoom into the part you were looking at so clicking on right arm would show you which arm it is. That is just a human factors since i could obviously figure it out but it would be nice and faster if it would just show me.

Look about the same

The store is a much better option than having to do it in the configuration space. Could make it out of the mechbay like a social hub.

It looks good. Is the glass cockpit thing new? I liked it but it may be because I turned up my graphics settings.

Nope

Edited by Dumbo, 16 January 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#44 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Great:
Moar info, huge mechlab with pretty mechs. Moar info!!! This is lovely for new players. And it is nice to see my glorious death machines up close. Easy access to mechs, equipment (there is an "Inventory" tab, people), and the shop.

Obvious issues:
The UI should support double-clicking as a way of adding/buying and removing/selling various items. The mechlab needs to be smurfied (entire layout at a glance). Layout problems with required click sequences across the entire screen instead of in one area, e.g. when changing the mech loadout.

High res screen issue:
There are very few, hard-preset resolutions. This means major pixel count (i.e. graphic performance) jumps instead of a fluid setting, resulting in bad performance tuning via resolution. It should be a no-brainer to make the window draggable to whatever resolution, or at least allow any user.cfg value to be used. Also, the fonts do not scale, which makes the UI look ridiculous in high resolution. The screenshot blow was done @2560x1600. Note how much space is wasted, and how tiny the text is. I needed a while to even find the Social button...
Spoiler

Edited by Modo44, 16 January 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#45 Dymlos2003

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)
Everything in the build was nice. The UI was faster and wasn't as stuttery. Mech lab is nice but it is still missing the mech details tab which people should know is already coming.
The list view still and the mech details tab isn't in yet. Still missing all the fluff features
Good start still needs some tweaking here and there. Shouldn't stop you from using the mechlab while chatting.

Edited by dymlos2003, 16 January 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#46 verbosity

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)

fullscreen,

text was to small,
difficult to understand the ui
inadequate mech sorting options
shows unowned trial mechs when filtering by 'owned mechs'
too much empty space
I'm totally unable to figure out the mech painting area
mech tree is jarringly different to mech lab and harder to use
'bottom' bar is hidden by taskbar
crashes when trying to shutdown
friends / social area? where is it?

[color="#959595"]cannot find it[/color]
6) Any other comments or concerns?[color=#959595] [/color]

#47 TheDegenhard

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

• color
  • clean look
  • better overview mechs, items, modules
  • the inventory
  • in-client shop
  • mech/weapon info in mechlab
  • doesn't show which modules are in which mech, info/link should be in the inventory
  • have to choose the game every time i launch
  • somewhat better then the old one
  • intuitive, clean
  • looks more high tech, warnings look more like a game overlay, then mech cockpit overlay
  • i would like more cross connections/links/interconnection between mechlab, inventory ...

#48 Oddthetall

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

The mech quirks list you get when you hover over a mech (if it gave the loadout too it would be about perfect).

Everything has to be configured separately. You have to select each part individually and configure it. This makes it very hard to easily see what your mech build is. I would have expected an 'improved' UI to have ONE screen that you go to to configure the WHOLE mech in one view. Look at http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab - that's easy and intuitive to use.
As it is, the new system takes MORE clicks then the old one and is more confusing with all the nested menus.
It's not even possible to configure all the ARMOUR in one menu - you have to go to each part individually. This is a step back from the previous interface.

In addition, I use a mouse, a throttle and some pedals to control my mech. In the preview, there is no option to bind ANY input device except mouse and keyboard.

N/A - I have not had any friends online (yet)

Not bad. It would be nice to have the option to go to configuration for the any mechs you own though.

Much the same as previous. No opinion

The whole interface seems complex and confusing. There is no quick and easy way to configure (or, for that matter, see what is equipped on) mechs.
Seriously - PLEASE implement something like the Smurfy (or even the tabletop mech sheet) interface - with the current setup it takes longer to do any form of configuration.

#49 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

- the overall look and presentation is much better than current

- the actual usage of certain parts is more difficult. For instance knowing how much tonnage is used/remaining while configuring your mech should be more prominent, rather than obscured away with other numbers.
- selecting camo colors is more arduous since you are presented with a much smaller visible portion of the available colors and have to scroll through them one at a time rather than clicking on one once it is visible
- being required to click and drag equipment/weapons to and from the loadout rather than just double clicking
- not being able to see the amount of armor in each individual location more easily at a glance, having to click to each location to tell whats there.
- the lack of color coding when looking at equipped items

- it seems about the same as present

- the battlemechs section of the store should separate by mech weight classes

- I can't type in the drop preparation screen chat window

- if between now and shortly after release UI2.0 you can focus on some of the ease of use things I mentioned regarding customization then it will be better received.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 16 January 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#50 _Ares_

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

-the fullscreen
-the colors
-Mechlab is too difficult to read, everithyng is cluttered
-Mech load out overview is missing, you can't tell whats on the mech
-Theres no SAVE loadout button, if you changed loadout and go to modules the loadout doesn't save
-The social button is too small, otherwise good
-Store is clutered also, would be better if mechs were sorted by class instead of all just being there
-It is easier to read, i like it
-Bigest concern is still the hard to read, organize, equip mechlab. Current is more intuitive and has more important information at first glance. Instead of mechs turning radiuses and yaws, etc. i would prefer mech loadout, where i can see how and where my mech is equiped.
-My advice, pay or hire the guy who made smurfys and make mechlab similar

Edited by Jaka Ursic, 16 January 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#51 Tanus Dimitrov

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPacific Coast, US

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

• Better able to see and orginize my owned mechs
  • Generally cleaner interface, overall
  • While the new Mechlab is functional, I rather like the original version personally
  • Have not try it yet
  • Seems functional
  • Seem solid, thought I'm not sure I noticed much change here
  • Too many clicks, I could do without final "Ok" on purchases etc. (in mechlab / pilot skills)

Edited by Cole Williams, 16 January 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#52 Thunderchickenz

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Questionnaire:
  • ability to quickly change mechs with a large number of mech bays
  • general aesthetics
  • preview of mech looks great
  • speed when switching between mechs is good
  • the social interface
  • general large number of small usability issues. Individually they're minor, in aggregate they give a poor first impression
  • Awful, worse than the previous UI. It stands out as having nowhere near the level of quality or usability of the rest of the UI.
  • N/A
  • N/A

Raw comments sorted roughly by component as I went through the UI, not sorted by priority
  • should be able to rotate mech in initial view (and inventory view, and probably elsewhere)
    • I love the rotating in the other views where it's allowed
  • mech icon view is fantastic. So much better than the scroll-list with large numbers of mechs, and I can see the potential for pictures representing the mech as configured.
  • sort order in 'mechlab->all' mech selection list is confusing (ordered first by size, then by alphabet of chassis? How does that make sense? pick one or the other, prefererably weight, as I don't really care what the chassis is called when I'm going to pick stuff)
  • speed when switching categories (between home, mechlab, skills) is not great (this may be due to having a large number of mechs)
  • speed and smothness when switching mechs is good
  • Skills
    • in skills, when going back from 'mech tree' the filter and expanded state of the mech list should be restored (eg: if I was looking at jenners, investigate a jenner, and then go 'back' I should see the list of jenners still expanded
    • suggest 'owned' filter for mech trees (where variants owned > 0)
    • in a specific mech's skill section, the XP counter (ie: one of if not the most important piece of information) is tiny, meanwhile there's a ton of empty space and the efficiency level (which you're already seeing in at least two other places) is huge
    • mech tree doesn't show skills for previously owned mechs that have XP on them but have been sold
    • When you have only GXP, but not enough mech xp to unlock, it's easy to miss this and accidentally spend GXP when not intended. I suggest showing the same 'XP/GXP' selection screen with 'XP' greyed out to make it clear what's happening and to prevent frustration
  • backspace should do the same as clicking 'back'
  • while I liked the 'windowed mechlab, fullscreen game' way the system worked before, being able to move out onto a second monitor quickly and without resolution switches is great
  • While the preview is great, the camo / color navigation is pretty confusing and annoying
    • Selecting categories (owned, all, etc) by up and down is inefficient.
    • Selecting a color is slow, because there are only 7 on the screen and you can't drag-scroll.
    • The size of the color swatches / camo preview could be quartered to give more useable space
    • clicking on a non-selected color in the color bar should highlight and select it. It does neither. Every second I worked with it this was more annoying
    • toggling between 'primary' and 'secondary' selected colors seems broken. Selecting the secondary (which is what I assume you do to swap it to the primary) causes the primary to take the secondary color rather than swapping them. This is a step backwards.
  • in the modules screen
    • a filled module slot should look different than an empty slot (more than just a textual difference, eg: different texture or color). Likewise the selected chassis upgrades like endo or ferro fibrous
  • Mechlab
    • it would be great to extend the overview of the selected mech (including a list of what weapons and equipment are currently equipped)
    • for the love of god make doubleclick remove / add the clicked item
  • Social
    • in general, the usability of the social window is poor. As someone who leads a lot of groups I already hate it and think it's a step backwards.
    • the 'social' button has to be clicked twice to actually do anything
    • the modality of the social window is annoying.
    • the close button to exit the social window (eg: to change mech selection) is on the opposite side of the screen from where you ready up and review
    • no way to ready up without entering the social window
    • ready state does not appear to be reflected when outside of the social window (the button is highlighted, but clicking it again unhighlights it but doesn't appear to unready you. Maybe re-use / change the 'Play Now' button on the main screen, changing it to 'Ready'
    • aesthetically speaking, the emptiness of the social window overtop of the busy mech selection screen is ugly
  • Cockpit glass is too scratched up and annoying. You have a great looking game and you start off obscuring it. Messing it up as you take damage is cool, but when undamaged it should not look as terrible as it does.
  • Logging out taking you back to the login screen is odd. 99% of the time I don't want to 'log out' I want to 'exit'; there should be a button that takes me out of the game, not back to the login screen which I then get to exit from a second time

#53 Jadefalke

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

The visual presentation is awesome ;)

We need a mechlab like "smurfy's mechlab", with a complete overview of the mech (free CRIT SLOTS etc)

#54 Xenoid

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEastern U.S.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

My initial reactions, more to follow maybe if I have time. But what many have already posted I agree with 100%.

Looks crisper

Several things...

1: The entire UI is confusing. For vets of the game I'm sure we can muddle through if need be, but a new player will be absolutely confused and overwhelmed. To customize a mech, one clicks on a location and is presented with a screen full of options but little in the way of intuitiveness for it. Just seems you really need to already be familiar with your mech and its hardpoints to make use of the loadout function.
I would prefer a simple paperdoll system for mech customization.

2: As mentioned by another, when selecting an engine, it would be nice to see the speed it would provide the mech upon install.

3: Some hover over is missing, such as in mech customization in the hardpoints area to the right, there are symbols for energy, missile and ballistic. Would be nice to have a hover there. Granted, its easy to figure out for the vets, but new players may be scratching their heads.

Haven't delved too deep into that as of yet.

As mentioned previously, why can you not preview a mechs loadout prior to purchase? If I'm spending millions of c-bills on a mech, I'd like to know what I'm getting rather than blindly throwing my money at something.

TBA

Would still like to see ability to...
strip a mech of all equipment,
max its armor and
save different configs (i.e. sometimes I run my Muromets with 3xAC 5's, sometimes with dual AC 10's. To do this I must rebuild the mech each time, pulling weapons, ammo, armor, etc.. Would be nice if I could save each config so all I would have to do is click a button to switch the loadouts, as long as I had all available equipment.)

Edited by GoTeamVenture, 16 January 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#55 Texugo87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

Graphically much better, also this build ran much more smoothly in game for me. Once I got the hang of it, I think I liked the new break down of equipment, ammo, and weapons in the mech lab. Game mode selection was also nice. Despite my longer list below, UI2.0 is a big improvement.

Figuring out how to buy mechs took a bit of time, the lack of a graphical representation of empty mech bays was problematic.

The success message for unlocking a mech efficiency is annoying, and doesn`t really add anything in my opinion.

Lack of a graphical representation of what section of the mech you are customizing in they mech bay, and lack of a summary of the equipment already on a mech.

I also couldn`t figure out how to tell what a mechs hardpoints were before buying it, if that functionality was supposed to be included.

Lack of a FOV setting in options menu.

Colour and Camo system is really inefficient, takes far too much clicking to set anything, and seems to have lost the colour grouping system of the present UI.

Didn`t use enough to have an informed opinion.

Seems functional and convenient

Could not type messages to team before match started.

Looking good, whatever optimization you`ve done to this build please include in the next patch! my in-game FPS were much more stable, and I haven`t noticed any texture flickering yet.
I also couldn`t skip the intro videos, and don`t recall this being a known issue.

Edited by cjmurphy87, 16 January 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#56 Radbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

- Sharp crisp image in full screen. Mech quirk data (even if somewhat breif) when clicking on a mech was nice.

- It's a cluttered mess with information spread in small boxes all over the various screens and menues. You never have any full view over your mech and loadout.

- Icons focus to much on the image instead of the data and there's to many of them onscreen, so finding that XL300 among all the XL's is unnecesary hard. We need more filters, everywhere. Like "show only equipment I own", and while the option is there for the mechs I dissliked that it showed Trial mechs as owned mechs. Trial mechs should only show on "all" or their own filter "Trial"

- The lack of a custom sorting order of owned mechs and the ability to change names on them as was promised for UI 2.0 ages ago.

- It's just as bad as ever. The social system should be a part of the UI, not an overlay you toggle. Show fewer icons and give the free space of the screen to the social menus.

- Cluttered mess aswell. No info at all about the various mechs? What am I buying.

- Sharper, better font. Otherwise I did not notice any difference. What changed? Did cockpits get zoomed in a bit?

- When in mechlab I just wished the thing looked a bit like Smurfy's online editor. That one is simple, fast, and informative, and it could fit in 2/3 of the screen to let the last third hold the social interface. The mechlab in UI 2.0 is even worse and more tedious to use than in UI 1.5

#57 Jabilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#

#58 JayKay17

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 111 posts
  • LocationDresden

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

Look, colors, feel
sounds
speed of application no more waiting a second after each one mouseclick, this was specially annoying with UI 1.0 when chnaging amount of armor.
use of full screen
small font, you barely cant read the item descriptions
no overview of whole Mechs armor and critical slots
OK, no great improvement
OK, no great improvement
Looks like last public Test
Yes !
1. Add a overview/diagramm/record sheet where you can see all locations and apply the Mechs armor
2. Increase the size of the font or add an option where you can do this. I can't barely read the descriptions
3. In the Loadout directly under the checkout cart is the field for activating premium time. And it almost looks the same. Remove the Premium Time activation field in the Loadout, because ist to easy to accidentely hit the wrong button.
4. Camo Specs Colors. Move the color palette to the right or left and the mech beside it. Scroll color palette up and down instead of right left. And add much more colors that you can see, not only 7. At the moment its truly annoying to paint your mech if you have many colors, cause you need ages to find the true color.

Edited by JayKay17, 16 January 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#59 Shismar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

Some feedback after fighting with the UI for over an hour.

Full screen view.
Thank you for the game mode checkboxes, much appreciated!
Taking that back. Check boxes are for selecting which modes can be chosen from. I think someone needs to learn UI elements 1.0.

Mechlab.
- Most of the screen is taken by ugly renditions of items I can't equip.
- Can't click on my mech any more to select the section.
- Actual information about section, hardpoints and mech power much too small and badly positioned.
- No tooltips for hardpoints or equipped items.
- tooltips for items popping up in wrong window
- mech left - items right, please. There are some things the old UI does well.
- why can't I equip some upgrades? The game does not tell me (any more).

What social system?
What is the top left window in the store main screen for? A traffic sign and a cloud?
No structure to Battlemechs. At least the usual weight class is required. Just imagine when there would be hundreds of mechs in a few years.
Mechbay page? With one Item? Call it utilities and put it with premium time.
Activated premium time, supposedly 192 days but the premium time active did not change.

3rd person default view is bad. Sorry.

No copy&paste on login dialogue.

No mech centered interface! That means that when I have selected my founders Hunchy and I click on skill I expect to see the skills I acquired for that chassis. Not a complete mechtree I have to navigate.

If there is only one possible action or a plausible default action, such as configuring the mech in mech lab or mech tree in skills, a double click should go there.

TLDR: Spiffy but even more clunky than the old one. Hire someone who has some UI knowledge before this thing crashes and burns.

Edited by Shismar, 16 January 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#60 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

In general I agree with the others here. Fullscreen is great, and load times seem to be greatly reduced, but the loadout, module, and camo select menus need a redo. For the loadout screen, why not just emulate smurfy's.

46 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 46 guests, 0 anonymous users