Ui 2.0 Preview 3⅓ - Feedback Questionnaire

357 replies to this topic

#201 Leeroy002

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)
Well I’m glad you did one because UI 2.0 is terrible

2) What do you like least about the UI 2.0 Preview?

NOTIFICATIONS
-they black out the screen and STOP all other activities until I click “ok”. I’m 31 not 7, I don’t need this kind of hand holding. Put it in a ‘log tab’ in the lower right or someplace out of the way.
-There is no log of my wins, losses, draws, activates, purchases or errors. Seriously, Put it in a ‘log tab’ in the lower right or SOMEPLACE OUT OF THE WAY.
-I don’t need to be notified of an action that I affirmed that I wanted to do when you asked for confirmation, STOP THAT. It’s NOT conveying any new information that I don’t already know when you do that. It’s just putting one more annoying step between me and playing then game.

MECH BAY
-Can see hardpoints of mechs or what weapons and equipment it has. While the graphs of speeds and twist angles is good, overall I’m getting LESS useful information about my mechs.
-Can’t tell if mech/variant ‘CAN’ mount ECM/ jump jets or not, I can only see if a mech currently ‘HAS’ them or not. “Having” them is NOT the same as “having the ability” to mount them
-Mech selection takes up way to much space, the simple carousel at the bottom was better. Allow for the option in the settings to use either as desired.
- can’t “favorite” specific mechs that I want to pilot often.
-Images of mechs are too small. Which is funny seeing as it takes up over half of the screen.
-can’t easily see how many empty mechbays I have, there is no image of an empty mechbays with “EMPTY MECH BAY” or “buy a mech” written on it
-still can’t rename mechs after the initial buy. Maybe after my fifth rebuild of a mech I finally found a build that suits it and would like to rename the mech to “Beat Stick” from “misile boat”, seeing as it no longer uses LRM. Also “Missile” is misspelled and I want to be able to change that.
-Can’t rearrange or reorder the mechs in the bay
-I don’t need my screen to go black and be told, “Purchase successful” when I buy a mech. Similarly I shouldn’t have to click ok for an action that I affirmed that I wanted to do when you asked for confirmation. (see notifications)

MECH LAB
-Can see hardpoints of mechs or what weapons and equipment it has without selecting each and every part of the mech.
-Still no “strip Mech” button or double click to remove option.
-Invalid weapon and equipment options don’t tell me “WHY” its invalid. I.E. ‘too heavy’ or ‘not enough critical space’
-I don’t need to see trial mechs in the mechlab and I certainly don’t need the option to “buy” them either. I will click on an empty space in the Mechbay or I will go to the store and buy a mech there when I want to buy a mech that I don’t already own.
-I don’t need to be told that “I don’t own [an item] and that I will need to buy it in order to equip it”, similarly I don’t need to be asked if I want to continue with my action. There is a “CHECK OUT” button that does that function. (see notifications)
-no color coordination when constructing a mech, everything is grey and indistinguishable from the rest of the mechs components. Energy weapons ‘red, Missile weapons ‘green’, ballistics ‘yellow’ , electronics/equipment ‘blue’, structural ‘gray’ etc.
- can’t buy weapons, equipment or engines unless they are being mounted on a mech. Maybe I want to amass a wide selection of engines for myself without having to mount them.
-Painting mechs is with the new system is horrendous. I seriously don’t need to ‘click’ a scroll button to select the color I want to use when I have a mouse that can select the color off of the palette when I want to change colors of my mech! Seriously, the old windows 3.1 MS PAINT pallet selection is better than that scroll system.
- camo selection is just as bad.

PILOT LAB
--I don’t need to be notified of an action that I affirmed that I wanted to do when you asked for confirmation, STOP THAT. (see notifications)
-Have to find each and every mastered mech with spare ‘Mech EXP’ that can exchange it into GXP

-Can’t type in specific values for the ‘MC’ / ‘Mech EXP’ that I want to spend or the amount of GXP that I want have after the exchange.
- can’t see the sum total of ‘Mech EXP’ on all mechs that can be exchanged into GXP.

3) What are your impressions of the Social system in the Front-End?
GROUPING/SOCIAL
-lack of chat tab of various channels located at the bottom. No General chat channel tab, No clan/company chat channel tab, No private chat channel tab, No platoon/lance chat channel tab. Look at the system that World of Tanks uses, Copy them!
- have to use the social button to talk AND form groups. Again why can’t I have a tab that I can select and/or minimize when I want to talk?
- I can’t see what weapons and equipment each member of my lance has.
-selecting and readying a mech for a group is WORSE than what it is now.

4) What are your impressions of the Store menus in the Front-End?
When I want to buy a mech I will go to an empty Mechbay slot or click the store. Again I don’t need to see trail mechs in MY MECHBAY nor do I need the option to buy them in the Mechlab, that’s what the store is for.

5) What are your impressions of the in-game interface?
Do you have a second UI 2.0 proposal?

-This UI is way to hand-holdy and suffers from ****-poor layout. The social and grouping system has gotten worse and switching a mech, let alone reading a mech, is a chore as you have to constantly fight the UI with a plethora of pop-up notifications and “ok” clicking.
-Building mechs is worse .
-Equipping modules and upgrades is worse.

-Painting mechs is worse.
-grouping is worse.

6) Any other comments or concerns?

I really hope there is a second UI 2.0 proposal.

I would have rather you just copied WoT’s UI and just re-skinned and modified it for MWO.

#202 FlareHeart Devalis

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between yesterday and my destiny.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)
-Full screen capability of the home areas.
-The design idea of the bar chart for the mech stats is nice, but it needs to be made larger.

Configuring a mech is clunky and requires WAY too many mouse clicks to do anything. Please please please consider using a paper doll system like Smurfy.

I do not like the "overlay" feel of it. I would like to have the social section be open on one side while I am working on other things. Having a teeny tiny little button flash ambiguously is NOT user-friendly for social interaction.

The store menus are nice, but there needs to be more information available on purchasable mechs. The fact that I cannot see a prospective mechs hardpoint layouts, stock weaponry and equipment is a HUGE issue as I cannot complete a purchase with incomplete knowledge of that chassis.

The fonts need to be made consistent. The font itself is fine, but now does not fit properly in some areas ("Critical Damage" gets overlapped onto it's arrows) and now feels inconsistent.

Workflow and functional information NEEDS to take a front seat over "looks." Right now, the buttons are pretty and the layout is OK, but there is WAY too much emphasis on pictures, and not nearly enough emphasis on information and functional items.

#203 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Overall, my expectations were met. It's the same ****, more of it is working, and it's less buggy. Success.

I still don't like the layout in general, and I think it would be much better off with a hierarchical top menu instead of splitting into half on top and half on the side. I also think the Mechlab in particular is bad. Forcing the user to go constantly from the left side to the right side of the screen is just inefficient. It takes longer for me to build things than with the current UI, and that's pretty disappointing.

While I didn't like the Camo interface at first, it grew on me. It just needs a couple changes, but otherwise it's a nice, minimalist interface. The tiles and filters are still, by far, the best thing about the interface.

Small stuff that need to change:
  • General - The XP Conversion Slider, Number of Items to Sell, and Armor Adjustment need to be number box that you can type directly into; up/down adjusters are insufficient.
  • Mechlab - We need an Unowned filter for 'mechs.
  • Mechlab - Graphs and numbers are great, but I just want to know what I have equipped when I click on a 'mech.
  • Camo - Filters (up and down arrows) should wrap around or perhaps be re-worked. Being unable to see all filter options is unhelpful.
  • Camo - We should be able to click on adjacent tiles and select them instead of using the arrows.
  • Mechlab - We should be able to double-click to remove things.
  • Weapon Grouping - We should be able to set chainfire in that screen.
  • Game Mode Selection - They should be real checkboxes - not a radio button (e.g., I should be able to select Conquest and Skirmish without Assault).
  • Group Interface - It should be easier to exit or switch back to the Mechlab. Having the group on the far left and exit button on the far right is unintuitive.
  • Cursor remains for matches in Full Window - WTF

#204 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Need ability to enter value for example armor point and in the inventory when I want to sell my 200+ std heat sinks

Old Camouflage system is waaaaaaaaaay better. The arrows in UI.20 is sooooooo annoying

Double-click to remove stuff please.

Can we please have the ability to save loadout profiles???

Unified inventory. OOOOOOOHHHH YEEEEEAAAAHHH!!!!

#205 Jonathan Paine

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

I can find my mechs in the mech lab!
Selecting the match type after launching, prevents accidental "any"'s
Full screen mechlab!

No easy overview of mech hardpoints, having to access each body part to see what kind of weapons/equipment fits
How can I find out how many critical slots the mech has left while customizing it?
Lab does not tell you when you have reached max tonnage. For a standard armor awesome, you can add 3 more armor points after hitting 80 tonnes

Why can't I filter mechs by class when buying mechs?
Buying mechs defaults to MC, not C-Bills

Cant type messages until the game launches. Makes the lobby completely useless.

Working on adding a non-functional and auto dirty glass in the cockpit is a waste of programming resources to me

#206 Adverse Reaction

• Pip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

1. The sleek look
The details after clicking on the preview of a mech

2. Definately a learning curve
Had a disorganized feel, but that may be due to being used to the old system

3. It still feels "hidden" I would like to see a bottom chat area with a drop down for the social interactions

4. Didn't use a lot of it, but it felt like it was easier to access information. It really brings into perspective how many mechs there are in game.

5. Forgot to check it out

6. none

#207 Le Goat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Locationin my chair

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostDarkblood, on 16 January 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

Work in progress

a) Cannot skip animations using spacebar
b- when buying skills the keyboard barely helps you, you're forced to do everything by mouse (for instance: you click on skill and get a Yes/No menu, the No is selected if you hit enter, but you cannot choose yes with the keys or just hit Y)
c) basic/master/elite badges should show on all screens (specially in the mechlab), not only on the skill selection area
d) cammo interface is horrendous, you have to cycle colors instead of having a palette and just clicking on the desired color. Almost unbearable to use.
e) The Mech's data card we see on mouseover in Mechlab (either on owned mechs or the ones we want to buy) should REALLY be expanded to include: hardpoints, current installed loadout (weapon, engine, modules, hs, equipment, ammo, everything...)

a) I don't like that Gamemode doesn't show on group window. In fact the group leader chooses it on launch with no chance for the groupmates to leave if the don't like it.

a) a bit confusing, specially since you have no way to know what a mech will bring in terms of weapons. Also, if you don't own enough Mechbays you have to go elsewhere to buy it (when a player tries to buy a new mech with no empty mechbays, the next menu should have a cancel button and one that offers the bay for 300 MC, be smart)

pretty much all of this ^

#208 NoBodie

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 60 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, CA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

Love the "Full Screen" aspect.

Thank God you removed than "Annoying Ker-Chin" sound!

Social screen - Trying to see what friends on. Some see you, you can't see them. Having people you never added in your list.

There is no overview of your mech or any mech. When you hover the cursor over a picture of a mech, a overview screen should come up showing how the mech is equiped. Listing all components and where they are located.

When you are in the store and are going to buy a new battlemech. when you click on a mech you get no details on that mech. A side window should open that list the hardpoints, weapon loadouts, engine size, etc. All of the current data we see in the current UI when looking at mechs to purchase.

Make it easier to switch out modules on mechs. upon exiting a match and you want to switch mechs. Having to go into mech lab, select battlemechs, find your mech, hit configure, hit modules, remove modules by dragging (should be able to double click the off) and finally go to cash out. Now to select you new mech ........ get the idea too many steps in changing modules around. Make modules a part of the top bar along with the store, home, skill, and mechlab bar.

3) What are your impressions of the Mech Upgrade screen?

Increase the size of the lettering (words) for the different mech classes, the cb, mech bays and mc window. also increase the size of the mech information screen (speed, structure, heat sinks, etc. we now have full screen -- use it, so what if we can't see all of the lower legs. The size of the top bar of Home, mech Lab is a good size for the rest of the bars.

All equipment available in a given area (Torso, Arm, Leg) should be available in the scroll area. Not having to select the type (missile, equipment, etc) to see what is available. Increase their thumbnail size also.

Make the equipment thumbnails info pop out screen bigger. Use the whole area for it. Again full screen use it. It's a temp mode so what if it hides all of the mech.

Make the thumbnails bigger, about half again. It a scroll bar area, make the most of it. when a person got to lean into a 24" screen to read the data ..

4) What are your impressions of the Pilot Tree screen?

Again, Make the thumbnails bigger, use the whole screen, noone cares at this point to see the mech in the right hand side.

5) What are your impressions of the Camo Spec screen?

Again, Make the thumbnails bigger, this time we do want to see the mech and also be able to rotate it. Use a third of the full screen for the thumbnails and two thirds for the mech.

As with the reply above: Camo Screen is an absolute horrid click fest. You have to click through EVERY color and EVERY pattern?? Horrible. Display all options and allow us to select the one we want, "NOT", search through every pattern, every color to find what we are looking for!

6) What are your impressions of the changes to Artemis?

7) Any other comments or concerns?

Keyboard setting can't be changed. Could not remap my keys.

Again, for settings, make it all bigger easier to read, it's an eye strain to squint and try to read. Use the whole screen.

Biggest concern right now is "WORDING" size". This is hard to read. NO! This is better! Better still!

Edited by NoBodie, 16 January 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#209 Semper Fi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationThe Great North West of US

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

I liked the fact that I could sort my mechs by class, and if they were hero or not.

It will take some getting used to but I think its going in the right direction

It seemed to be "crisper"

The drop seemed well, the glass was a bit annoying in regards to effecting thermal/Night.

Overall I like it better than what we have.
I didn't see things related to "association" but I figure that might come later.

Keep up the good work, more tweaking but better than the before.

Semper Fi

#210 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Not a damn thing. Everything feels like a gigantic step back in regards to ease of use and functionality.

The mech lab, it is the most singularly confusing thing in MWO to date. I know the mech lab, I've known all the mechlabs for every MW title an this is the least intuitive and by far the most frustrating.

Worth mentioning the Checkout button. It doesn't make sense, change it to SAVE or Save Loadout. I am not checking out things I already own and unless I am new to this game checking something out is VERY rare.

Also worth mentioning is the CAMO. Good god man. You are seriously going to make people scroll through the 30+ colors to look for the one they want all the while they are unable to "FULLY" see their mech outside of just the bust?

So-so. Not much has changed.

BAD. Not a fan.

It makes my eye's bleed and gives me a headache. Can we have an option to have mechlab windowed only and then have the actual game full screen?

It has been said everytime and every other preview of UI 2.0, build to the mechlab and paint lab exactly like 1.5 and then expand from there. Everything i've seen and I do mean EVERYTHING is a massive step back.

My Only incentive for even remotely wanting UI 2.0 is so the developers can start working on community warfare, but it doesn't stand on it's own merits.

#211 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostNiko Snow, on 15 January 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

This thread is to cover any qualitative feedback regarding UI 2.0. If you would like to report specific bugs with the preview, please use the New Issues thread.

Please follow the questionnaire provided. This is to help us better organize and process your feedback after the test.

1) Music is good, visuals are great, sounds are great.
2) Parts of the UI still dont flow quite as intuitively as they could.

Checking out of the mechlab is still weird, if you want that mechanic to be there you really ought to make the button more pronounced and give an "are you sure?" warning when someone leaves without checking out.

Additionally, the mechlab is STILL a headache. The number one thing you ought to do is make the mechlab work. Do that and the entire UI becomes ALOT better. At the moment it is by far the most used part of the UI, so it ought to work well.

Upgrades should be on the same page as the mechlab, as they are quite closely related. Modules should be clearly outlined. (you should know where your modules are etc).

Your available tonnage is mixed into the other meters (firepower, jump distance etc). Tonnage while you are in the mechlab is paramount, that info MUST be clearly displayed.

3) Being able to see what mechs your fellow lance members are taking is a great upgraded. None of my friends were online though, so i was unable to really test it well.

4)They look good and seem to work. However, every single mech/item says "owned" and then lists a number. It might make more sense to only list how many are owned AFTER some have been bought. Additionally, make it clearer, it should say "12 Owned" for example, and it should be prominently listed.

5)The typeface INGAME is clearer and easier to read.

6)The cockpit glass is a nice addition aswell, a great nod to the old days of mechwarrior 3. However, I saw no damage effects (I guess I wasn't headshot) and the in-cockpit screens still didnt work, those ought to be functional. If you want to rework the cockpit do it all at once no?

Also, having more options in the options menu is nice, but making them easier to understand would be nice. I.e. "this option effects your models, this option effects terrain quality, etc".

4/5

solid, but still has room for improvement. PLEASE work out that mechlab though. the success of the entire UI hinges on that.

#212 Knight_Invictus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

OVERALL THIS VERSION OF UI 2.0 IS OUTSTANDING!!!! WOW Graphics are stunning!

The whole UI is much more usable and easy to use in all areas. Significantly improved since the last version. I was especially impressed with the Mech configuration screens, especially the graphics of the Mechs.

I'd still like a UI 1.5 or Smurfy type capability for configuring weapons and heat sinks etc., to me it's just easier to configure when I can see the whole mech all at once. I'm glad to hear that something like that is possibly coming at or shortly after release in Feb.

Would like to see global equipment list so I can find engines etc. easily.

Also, would like to be able to see global list / inventory for modules to find them easily.

Thanks to Bryan and the team - great work!!!

Knight4Him

Edited by Knight4Him, 16 January 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#213 Degalus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 364 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Preview likes:
-I like the Filter options for Mechselection.
-The Full Screen option.
-The new view and light on selected mechs and the ability to rotate them.
-The colordesign of the new UI.
-The amount of Information for everything.
-cockpitglas

Prieview dislikes:
-cockpitglas is a little dirty and it is irritating while walking.
-config your mech is now realy complicated. Its hard to see where what is and how to change it.
I would like to see a paperdoll to select bodyparts or maybe rightclick on the big model bodyparts to select like in UI 1.
Also a dropdown menu instead of this wall of icons would be nice.
Its not realy "new user friendly" Im a Founder and still needed around 5 min to figure out how to find and change a weapon on my mech. And 2 mins for engine&heatsink change. In the old one u just need some sec to figure it out.
I think the old one was not bad at all.
-the new models for details are a little trashy on some mechs. I need high setting on object details that the Catapult Laser T1ts (sry still hate the new ppc-laser-missleboxes on catapults) doesnt looks like scrapmetal from the junkyard.
-maybe i m blind but i cant find the max and free tonnage in the mechbay.
-had not enough time to check anything else. Pgi realy need way more testtimes or like star trek online, a 24/7 Testserver.

Overall the UI is nice but needs way more work for mech modification. Its just too complicated and need too much space (whole screen just to show me engines with big icons? )

#214 Muffinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Sound effects are cool
Graphically looks good
Like adding camo, loadout etc without having to confirm each time

Overall clunky feeling like I'm spending more time trying to find the buttons I want scattered around the screen.

Hard to tell at a glance what hardpoint types are in each location. I eventually saw that you can only choose the relevant weapon/equipment type for each slot in the menu but I'd prefer a text description or hover-over tool tip to go with the icons for energy, ballistic etc in each body part.

After customising a mech I clicked save and got 'unable to save due to critical loadout issue'. This is probably a bug but regardless I need way more info with this type of message - like what the actual problem is.

When selecting an owned mech I couldn't see any way to view its current weapon loadout without going in to configure and viewing each part. The existing system gives a way better summary of what weapons etc I have, where they are, how many free slots left, etc.

It is very difficult to select colours I want, the existing system is much better - eg one click to view all colours in a palette, one click to choose the one I want vs click through each palette to find one that looks about right, then click through every colour in the palette to find the right one.

Seems exactly the same as the current system? Functional, basic. Unless I missed something.

Looks OK, clicking on a battlemech in the store doesn't bring up a larger model to the right - this would be pretty essential to getr a good look before I buy anything

No issues

I know it has said before but the whole front end interface desperately needs an overhaul by someone with expertise in UI design. Seriously guys, hire a consultant. I guarantee your user retention rate will go through the roof if new players don't have to spend an hour deciphering what buttons they need to click to do what and where everything is and what it means before actually playing a game. If I didn't have experience with the game already I would honestly give up and rage quit.

I seem to be getting about 10fps lower than previously

Edited by Muffinator, 16 January 2014 - 05:21 PM.

#215 MechHeffa

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 40 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Canada

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

- overall visual look better
- easier to find & manipulate mech inventory

- same video config for MechLab & game play - I have 3 screens but using the MechLab in fullscreen with 3 screens is unusable
- good but lack notification feeback when you send message to someone
- not tried
- look better & better result in 3 screens setup
- the visual on the mech & hard points while configuring in Mech lab is less intuitive & efficient for me
- initial information screen before game launch with 3 screens is unreadable
- would be nice to be able to create custom mech grouping
- even with owned only filter I was seeing the trial mechs

#216 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview?
  • The improved Skills page
  • The Store is a good improvement
  • The inventory (needs to have more features)
  • Mechlab: Loadout - what else...?
  • The lack of list mode in mech loadout
  • Small fonts and less-than-disirable graphical layout
  • The fact that many important issues already reported by many players are not yet addressed
Nothing special. It saddly does not improve anything over the current one. Since no friends were online, I didn't had the chance to test further. However:

Problems
· When unblocking a blocked friend, that friend is deleted. This happens with current UI as well.

Suggestions
· Friends Folders or Tagging!
· Status! (Available, AFK, Do not disturb, invisible…)
· Clicking outside the Social box, should close it automatically.
· When open, the two icons on the top have no function – needs review

The store seems nice. Needs some work on the main page and requires more features, but I liked the fact now items that are on sale will have a tag next to them.

The buttons are too small and their style doesn't fit well the rest of the still-unchanged UI.
Be careful with the new condensed font - it's harder to read, specially if you keep that font size.

Yes, mainly usability ones:

Overall Usability Suggestions:
• Like many users have reported it, font size is insufficient in many cases and it is hard to read, especially when we have a heterogeneous background.
• Buttons (Buy, Checkout, Confirmation…) are too small. Enlarge it, especially their height. At the moment it requires too much precision.
• In the top left menu, buttons such as “Back”, “Reset”, “Cancel” button should have a symbol or a different colour
• “Purchase Successful” and other dialog notifications should be kept to a minimum. My sensation is that there are more popups than it should be, disruption the usability flow (less clicks – better).
• Explore the doubleclicking (configure mech from list, open skill tree, etc…) to allow less button interaction and speed things up
• Add a “Not Owned sorting filter”

Home: Inventory
• Allow the listing for installed componentes as well, graying out those unavailable for direct selling
• This would be a great place to list the mechs that have that weapon/module installed (with a button to jump to that mechbay) – would resolve the “where is that module” issue that we all have in the current UI
• Allow Sort by Type filter (so that in the list the heatsinks go together, engines as well, etc…)
• Allow Sort by Class filter (lights, assaults, etc…)

Mechlab: Select Mech
• Basic mech stats VERY hard to read
• Hero and Champions should be next to normal variants
• Trial mechs should not be listed as Owned
• Maybe instead of a Category based menu, you should consider a filter menu (checkboxes). That is a more modern and conventional approach.
• We need sort by list…
• The Configure/Buy buttons should only show up when the item is selected or highlighted (mouse hover)
• The detailed panel should be fixed and not act like a tooltip. Need some review.

Mechlab: Loadout

Problems
• I hate (really) this new Configuration method
• No one wants to see tens of engine stylized pictures - give us listing!
• Slots are hardly distinguishable and are too small
• Information is too disperse to have some kind of efficiency
• Remove the Owned 0 and gray out what is not owned or cannot be applied (the Invalid label is too aggressive in my opinion)

Suggestions
• Click on 3d model is needed
• Paperdoll is needed
• Doubleclick to add/remove is needed
• Add an overall list of hardpoints PLEASE
• Rework the Armor and put back all the armor in one place
• Tooltips are needed

Mechlab: Cockpit

Problems
• Sometimes there are missing items that show up only after a few clicks between sections (happened with Davion Bronze Medallion)
• The “Selected Status” isn’t resetting when you leave the section.
• Mounted items are missing for me

Suggestions
• The “Owned 0” label should be removed and only appear if i tis really owned. This is information noise.
• The Buy Button should be hidden and only be revelaed with the item is selected. This allowed less clutter and more emphasis on the item thumbnail.
• The Buy and Equip buttons should have diferente colors for beter usability

About the cockpit glass: it's nice and I like it. However, the washout effect (when you emerge from water) is still "glued" to the camera and does not happen outside the mech. Maybe you should remove it.

I really hope the next weeks are filled with bug fixing and feature adding so that 4th February we are not deeply disappointed.

Keep up the good work!

#217 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Allot!, Flow, full-screen, Mech viewing, Mechbay sorting, etc.
Filter is nice, but looking forward to more options in it.

Customization of mech, the inability to click on the Mech image itself to select and area. Layout was a bit confusing.
Loadout was less intuitive, took a moment to find how to increase/decrease armour.

Looks promising, unfortunately no one I knew was on to really test it.

Looking good. But hard to say without more up in the store (like sale items, bundles, etc.)
Was easy enough to find the Boar's Head and purchase it.

Clean, smooth, smart looking a definite improvement.

When changing video setting 'Window', is defaulted to going 'behind' the Windows taskbar, the biggest problem with this then being the setting button was unclickable as the windowed screen couldn't be re-sized either, work around was to click settings once entering a combat drop.

Also, the Cockpit glass looked promising, saw it in a Wolverine, Griffin and an Atlas, and can't was to see that sucker get cracked, melted and smashed in the future. ;)

Edited by Monsoon, 16 January 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#218 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

The Good:
  • Lots of breathing room
    • View more than 6 mechs during selection.
    • 3d model of mech is much larger and clearer.
    • Filters.
    • Plenty of space for expansion.
  • Responsive GUI. I don't have to click several times.
  • More information/data available.
  • Information is potential more clear and precise.
  • Rotating mechs is fun
The Bad:
  • Community/Social button is too small and easy to miss
  • roll over sound effects get annoying fast. You only need to bleep every 2 or 3 items, not every item.
  • The mech stats are too small and out of the primary viewing area.
  • In the store, the mech bays show the amount you own, but this is not labelled. At first glance, I thought you bought 4 in a single purchase. You should change the text so that "free mech bays owned" preceeds the number owned, or change the number to the amount you purchase.
  • No filters on the battlemech store page.
  • Still no background or history included - new players have no anchor into the lore.
  • No information about a mech before you buy it.
  • While the social windows are open, you can't access your mechs or mech bay
  • While selecting your mechs, you can't ready up in the group
  • In Configuration, the hard point/armor box is difficult to read. Increase the opacity on it or add an outline to the letters.
  • Waiting for the roll over information box for weapons to appear is really annoying. It makes it difficult to compare different weapons, especially for new players.
The Ugly:
  • Forcing us to watch splash screens? Really? Shame on you.
  • "In Game" doesn't seem to go away when the game is finished.
  • Owned mechs can only be purchased with MC
  • Statistics don't load into the client, and instead wants you to go to the website.
Suggestions:
  • All mechs list ECM, ARTEMIS, and AMS. This is misleading because not all mechs can equip ECM and some mechs have more than one AMS. Instead, I would have available options with the grey boxes they currently have. Multiple AMS mechs would have more than one box appear. Anything they can't upgrade to should be red with a big red X through it, denoting that it's not available.
  • Several screens are too small (the speed, structure, heatsink info) or take too long to pop up on mouse over. I understand that you are keeping them in a format that allows the mech to get plenty of attention. What I would suggest is a pop-out with a triangle/icon tab either in the upper right or bottom of the screen. Clicking the tab will slide the appropriate information onto the screen in a larger, format. The information can be retracted into the tab at will:

• You have a performance diamond with firepower, armor, speed, and tonnage. Why tonnage? As you keep saying, the intent of MWO is to prevent tonnage from being a factor - in other words, an atlas will not always beat a jenner. Thus, tonnage should not factor into the matrix. Why not replace this with something like jump range, weapon range, or another statistic that's more relevant to how the mech performs?
  • Have mechanics walk around and look at the mechs/interact. Heck, put all the mechs in mech bays and slide the camera over to them when selected.
  • Put the total value of a mech (if sold) on each mech in a player's collection. It would also be nice to have some small icons that denote certain things, such as faction of origin, cbill bonus, weight class, kills, etc. Basically, give us a little extra "at a glance" info in that extra space in the right of each mech.
  • When you click Configure on a mech, the default screen is empty. Pick the most commonly used action and make that appear by default instead.
  • Tutorials should launch a menu with all of the tutorials that players will be able to select. This is especially true when you have different categories like managing factions, using the mechlab, skill points, etc.
Hidden, no multi-tasking, lacks options. I good baseline, but not much of an improvement over the previous.

Slightly misleading and lacks detail. More responsive overall and easier to find specific mechs to buy.

Though by making it a big yellow icon, my first impression was that it was the premium store, and I wouldn't click on it unless I was curious about what costs money. This means that a lot of new players are going to think you have to buy mechs with MC.

Doesn't look different to me. Maybe I'm just tired?

Thats all I have at the moment. I'll post more if I think of it.

Edited by S3dition, 16 January 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#219 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

Much better font selection, full screen is very nice, graphical "thumbnails" of 'Mechs are handy, being able to set keybindings in the MechLab is nice, inventory tab (I have WAY too many medium lasers!).

Missing tooltips, no easy way to 'save' a 'Mech load out, some icons appear non-functional (for example, in the "select 'Mech" screen there are what appear to be 'list view', and 'grid view' options..however, clicking on those icons doesn't change anything.

Should be able to zoom in/out, and rotate the currently selected 'Mech on the Home Screen.

Seems ok, didn't use it a lot.

Nice way to browse 'Mechs, but there needs to be some kind of tooltip, or detail window providing information about the 'Mech in the store (when you click on one to select it).

The "time remaining" on the sales, is an excellent touch.

Seems ok, again, the font change is very nice.

Statistics button, should open the Stats in game, and not kick us out to the browser.

Allow multiple selections on the 'what type of match' selection screen. For example, if I want to queue for everything except Skirmish, let me select both Conquest and Assault.

edit: After further time, I do now see the 'shopping cart' for the 'Mechlab.. this should not be tucked down at the bottom of the screen.. too easy to miss there.

Edited by Mal, 16 January 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#220 kiitick

Rookie

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I love the way that you can filter mechs based on weight, type, owned, etc. I also love the way that there are charts and graphs for weapon damage and mech control.
I do not like how I can no longer view what is in my mech at a glance. I now have to click through multiple screens to see what type of engine I have, how many heat syncs, what weapons.

30 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users