357 replies to this topic

#241 Ceefood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBathurst NSW Australia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)

Full screen mechlab, filter on mechs by owned, ability to sort by class, ability to setup weapon groups in mech lab, easier to find items in cockpit by not having to scroll through long lists, skills system easier to use & filter once realised where GXP was hiding it was fine, I like the mechs now show if they are champion & hero types

2) What do you like least about the UI 2.0 Preview?

When selecting mech you cant see what loadout it currently has eg. What hardpoints/weapons it has – there are nice tables to look at if you hover of the image but no way to see what weapons it has, when buying a new mech the same applies, match type could be improved by utilising the tick boxes better – ability to choose say 2 match types but disregarding the others eg. I want to play assault & conquest but not skirmish or deathmatch I could tick boxes for the 2 I want but leave the other boxes empty, think mechs should show if they are founders rather than champion, group mechs by type rather than heros first then champions then normal – I want to see all my catapults together, still cant change mech names, if you don’t run mechlab full screen then the body locations overlap MC Cbill costs area when configuring mech, weapon groups cant be preselected for chain fire, settings & social buttons too small maybe better placed next to “ play now” button, cant turn off trial mechs to show up, change “checkout” to “save” as more obvious, make hardpoints more obvious for what they are or have a mouse over function whereby you hover cursor over area to say 3 energy 2 missile etc,

3) What are your impressions of the Social system in the Front-End?

Social button too small & hard to find

4) What are your impressions of the Store menus in the Front-End?

Easy to use no changes I can think of

5) What are your impressions of the in-game interface?
6) Any other comments or concerns?

Would prefer GXP to show on main screen maybe above MC Cbill area, under inventory the ability to see weapons & equipment would be nice to have & sell through here

Edited by Ceefood, 16 January 2014 - 06:02 PM.

#242 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

View PostNiko Snow, on 15 January 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

This thread is to cover any qualitative feedback regarding UI 2.0. If you would like to report specific bugs with the preview, please use the New Issues thread.

Please follow the questionnaire provided. This is to help us better organize and process your feedback after the test.

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)

1. It looks much more polished. I like the overall layout. I like the way you can actually look at lists of mechs and such.The graphs that show damage, heat mgmnt. etc. are a very welcome addition.

2. It is VERY complicated. It's not very intuitive and new players are easily going to become confused on how to do certain things. One glaring thing missing is the fact that you cannot see the weapons loadout on a mech.

3. The social system is horrible at this point. We ran into multiple problems with this. Groups not launching together, inability to add friends, inability to chat in game prior to game starting.

4. The stores menu is very nice. Overall it looks much more polished and professional.

5. The in-game interface seems to be the same with one exception. The cockpit glass is extremely bad when in dark areas. It becomes near impossible to see things. I like the immersion but the "dirty" look does more to hinder then enhance immersion.

6. I would streamline the menus a bit more. Even as a long-time player it was not intuitive or easy to find certain things. The one thing I do enjoy about the current UI is that it's firmly less is more. I think the new UI is trying to do too many things and it's getting convoluted.

#243 Escer

• Pip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.

I liked the categories by mech weight. Helped with sorting. A lot less scrolling and clicking going on.

I liked color scheme.

I get better fps with this UI. It's 60 instead of 30 ;)

Overall I thought it was much better than current UI. Seemed much better quality and better organized. I can't believe there are 70 some votes that this is worse than current UI on the poll!? I'm gonna get flamed for that comment... oops!

It does need some tweaks though (below)

Where's my flippin mech summary/info sheet? I wanna see hardpoint locations, current weapon loadout, heatsinks etc. Who gives a {Scrap} about those little tick marks? They pretty much tell me nothing about what is actually equipped.

Also... I don't need to be told when I've "Successfully Unlocked Efficiency" or whatever. Just adds one extra unneeded window to click through. This is a pain especially when you are unlocking a bunch of basics! Why does a window need to pop up and say i've succussfully completed something? Either it happens, or it doesn't. I don't need to be told that. Unnecessary window.

It's hardly different than before. It's still a pain in the butt when clicking into social panel and out. Why can't there just be a simple minimizer. WOT style? Something. Only improvement on social panel was it doesn't annoyingly tell me that "You've successfully created a group"...*CLICK* STHU!

Likey

6) Any other comments or concerns?[color=#959595] [/color]

Should have been released with game on launch... sorry for the little jab. At least it's getting done though. I'm looking forward to this and CW. Oh and, cockpit glass is cool. Should make it so night/heat vision only affect glass.

Edited by Escer, 16 January 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#244 Reptile Blackdeath

• PipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

Nice to be able to see all mechs in the mech bay, without having to scroll through a long... long line of mechs. Seems a little quicker moving from screen to screen

I can't see where my modules are from just clicking on a mech? I don't want to click down into ever mech to find where they are hiding.... also, the list of mech hardpoints? Would also be nice to click on the visual mech to get to points. Do I want to feel like the mech is a thing I 'have' or just a list of things on the screen? I'm not sure if there will be a way to move the mechs and order them.. I didn't see one with a quick look over.

Seemed ok from the quick look I had

4) What are your impressions of the Store menus in the Front-End?.
I was a little confused, but I htink it's just a new thing and just takes some getting use to.

Using eye-finity, some of the HUD (more so when spectating) shoudl be resized.
6) Any other comments or concerns
Other little things have been covered in other comments, so I just put the things that really bugged me and didn't see much reprentation. Thanks for letting us have input to the game! ;)

#245 Walks_In_Circles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

I like it! It isn't quite there yet, but it is very good.

- Menus and loading screens are more visually impressive, and general navigation is much improved. Additionally, I appreciate grouping weapons before going into battle, the inventory is a nice touch, and there is less visual noise in general; everything is sleek and clean (no adds).

- I find it odd that you cannot see the loadout or hardpoints of a 'mech until it's in your mechlab and you edit the variant. In addition, colors in the the camo spec menu is annoying to select and there seems to be a lot of wasted space as everything is clumped to the left and somewhat smaller then I feel is needed.

- It's improved, but largely the same. I like how it blacks out the screen and minimizes, but the button is too small.

- At the front end, better. It's an improvement, but really needs to be sorted by chassis instead of cost/weight. In addition, I'd like to see a 'mech's stats and hardpoints before I buy it.

- In-game, the menus don't scale along with the game resolution making it too small, not centered and ultimately incomplete.

- I am surprised that the "strip 'mech" and "max armor" options are not available in the mechlab. These additions would be very much appreciated. In addition, I personally would like to see a feature that allows me to change the names of my 'mechs. I'd be willing to pay real money for it too.

Thank you for working hard to make this game better.

Edited by Hrothmar, 17 January 2014 - 06:56 AM.

#246 Dyrael

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

- Loading screens look great
- The colours are amazing
- the Inventory box is an excellent addition
- The mechs on the right side of the page look fantastic
- New Camo section looks great, a little confusing what batch (owned, default, etc) is selected though
- Great-looking icons for weapons, equipment, modules, pilot skills etc
- I actually like the noise when moving from menu to menu...

- There is nowhere to see what weapons/equipment/hardpoints are actually on a mech in the mechbay OR the Store
- Modifying mechs takes a lot of unnescessary clicking. A drag and drop Smurfy-style paperdoll would be simpler, more intuitive
- The boxes in the bottom right (mech info) and bottom left (Cbills, MC, GXP etc) are slightly too small, making them hard to read

- Vast improvement, especially the group interface

- There's no info on any of the mech loadouts or hardpoints, makes deciding on what to buy a gamble unless you look up things elsewhere
- Looks great

- Works great, looks great

- Huge improvement from the last Public Test, I am really looking forward to the release.
- Trying out hero mechs for free was a lot of fun and made me want to buy a couple, if this was implemented in game as a promotion such as try a hero mech for 5 games for free once per month, I think it could boost sales at zero cost other than the set up.

#247 Diffusion9

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPE, Canada

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

• Fullscreen mechlab
  • General UI style and colours. The muted greys, and technical blues and golds are a nice choice.
  • When alt-tabbing the game goes to background instead of minimzing and going completely inactive (so if you restore Skype, for example, it draws over the game. Also, this Wordpad window.). Maybe thats just me, but the current MWO does not do that and many games do not.
  • New 3D mech view is great. Better angle.
  • Pre-match weapon group setting is very nice.
  • Performance improvements? Seems to be running better on my system. Hope those changes stay in place for the launch. Pushing 60+ FPS now
  • A lot of wasted screen real estate. (but that means room for improvement! Please use it!)
  • Item lists do not need to be so long. Two, maybe three rows of items at maximum.
  • Use the recovered screen space for important mech or item information.
  • A lot of space that could be used for good mech information is instead dominated by the view of the mech, or ridiculously-long and monotonous lists of items. Condense these.
  • Where did all the information go for engines, for example? Please add it back.
  • Important mech information such as speed, firepower, heat, etc, is very small
  • Even more important information (loadout, free slots is missing entirely)
  • Selecting 'Configure' on a mech should take you right to the mechlab to edit the mechloadout. The interstitial mech view is pretty but superfulous.
  • Home screen "Current Battlemech" information should be more prominent. It is hidden in the bottom of the screen. Put the name of the mech in larger text near the bottom-center of the screen.
  • Bring back the highlight when you select a chassis location in the mechbay; center torso lights up the center torso chunk, for example.
  • Would prefer a mini view of the mech with selectable chassis parts, or the ability to click the individual chunks of the mech on the right side of the screen, rather than have to look at the left side of the screen for an itemized list.
  • Having a giant list of red "INVALID" engines is very uninformative and hard on the eyes. Why can't I equip the engines? It does not indicate why. Do I not have enough money? Not enough slots? Not enough free weight? This engine doesn't fit in this mech?
  • You cannot view the loadout of a mech as you browse your inventory of mechs at a glance.
  • You do not have an easy overview of what your mech is equipped with when outfitting it in the Mechlab.
  • Battlemech Inventory (Home > Inventory > Battlemechs) is missing a sorting option for weight, class (Assault, Light, etc.). In the purchase and upgrade screens you establish the convention to the user that mech class sorting will be done on the left side of the screen via ordered categories but then break that convention in the Battlemech inventory screen.
  • No double-click to remove parts from the mech, or to add upgrades.
  • No indicator for how many slots are free on the mech you are equipping.
  • Lots of wasted screen space on the Upgrades screen
  • Can't rotate the mech in Home view
  • Mechs without (or unable to equip) ECM, ARTEMIS, etc. should either have their little UI checkbox removed, grayed to a severe extent, or 'crossed out' somehow.
  • No sorting options for friends (A-Z, Z-A)
  • Social button is really small.
  • Have you thought of in-game toaster notifications for messages and invites?
  • You cannot see the loadout of a mech before you buy it.
  • Mech list filter is missing "Not Owned"
  • Sharper font
  • Better performance
  • Concerned about the state of the mechlab.
  • Still missing "Strip Armour" and "Max Armour"
  • The checkboxes for match type selection are a good idea, but should be checkboxes instead of radio buttons, so you can queue for Skirmish and Assault, but not Conquest, for example.
  • Primary mech information (Loadout, Free Slots, Speed, etc) should go in a static window that is visible as soon as you click the mech. Quirk information should be in the pop-up.
  • Have I mentioned that there's a whole lot of wasted screenspace with giant repetitive, monotonous lists of items and little actual useful information on what you've selected?

Edited by Diffusion9, 16 January 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#248 Zerik1

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

I think the Paint shop should be done differently. Moving around the boxes to find colors was confusing and hard to see what colors/patterns were actually available. I would much rather have a box that displays all colors, where I can pick which ones to put in each location.

Store functionality was good. I think I missed the spot where how many mechbays I had was displayed because I had to buy more, but I only had half an hour to play around so I might have just missed it.

#249 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Ok this has probably been beating into the ground like a dead horse but

1 I like the color scheme for the new UI.... thats about it.

2 Need to have hardpoint data as well as current loadout data in the new UI I feel like the data I use the most in the current UI is gone! I want to look at a mech and know whats in it and what modules it has

3 Full view of a mech! Instead look at smurpy for inspiration (there's a reason so many people use it!)

4 The glass feature.. cool and all but needs to be able to be turned off! (They seriously don't have windex in the 31st century?)

5 Bugs: 1 instance not able to chat in ready window, When I go into the "pause screen" to change settings in the middle of the game I would like to just hit escape to get back to the action.

6 I see there is Icons up top for a list view or a grid view these NEED TO WORK! I hate the grid view and if I had a list view I would be MUCH happier!

P.S. There needs to be a separate tab for trial mechs! Don't try to promote them in my owned mechs tab ;)

#250 Stile3081

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

Would like to see owned mech only

Be able to move the mechs around in my order of my prefferance

In the mechbay would like to see ammo for each wepaon

A bit cluttered

Didn't have time.

#251 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

View PostNiko Snow, on 15 January 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

This thread is to cover any qualitative feedback regarding UI 2.0. If you would like to report specific bugs with the preview, please use the New Issues thread.

Please follow the questionnaire provided. This is to help us better organize and process your feedback after the test.

1. It still looks amazing; much improved visually.
2. See notes below.
3. Didn't test this.
4. I like that you can buy premium time now in the store
5. It's fine, from what I saw.
6. See below.

MechLab

Loadout Screen
- No sense of overall loadout, or how much tonnage you have left to work with when adding weapons, armor, and equipment.
- Double click disabled; when you double click on equipment and weapons, it should equip and unequip the item.
- LOTS of wasted space and messy layout; this space could be used for useful and pertinent info
- Having to go back and forth to the left of the screen to select Head, RT, CT, LT, Arms, and Legs is OBNOXIOUSLY tedious. Allow players to click on the mech itself to select the location they want to edit.
- Ugh...overall the loadout screen is counter-intuitive and thoroughly frustrating to use.

Skills
- After unlocking efficiencies, there's an annoying pop-up notification that says "Efficiency Unlocked" and it requires you to click ok; this is an unnecessary extra click.

Camo
- The whole camo interface is claustrophobic feeling (like most of the mechlab) and hard to get an overall idea of what colors you can select from.

Home Screen
- Can't rotate mech 360' but would be nice you if you could
- That tiny little window on the bottom left corner would serve a better purpose if it actually showed the loadout details of the currently selected mech

Options Screen
- Would be nice if we could adjust Field of View here; I was under the impression this was going into UI 2.0.

Edited by Bhael Fire, 16 January 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#252 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Looks good, same as previous test, so still good. I do not remember if inventory if list was in last time, that I love.

Lack of overall layout for the mech in mechlab. Maybe I missed something.

Did not have much of a chance to chat, but I like it.

Had a quick glance, looks ok. Did not get a chance to do much.

Looks good, some of the buttons are a bit hard to find quickly when getting used to the layout.

I got to the test late, so only had an hour.

I had four games, first ran at 14-20 fps.

next two games put me to the desktop upon finding a match.

Fourth game was running at 10-15 fps. River city night.

Still looking good, but a bit concerned about framerates.

#253 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

I had a problem with resolution. I run my game At 1152X864 and in the reg game client i run the game fine and most things on high with 30fps standard. On the test surver I ran my res and settings the same and the game looked like the textures on my mech in the lab were on medium or didnt look as sharp as it does in my reg client. i wish i had tooken a screen but at the last minuet i was super busy and couldn't attend the test long. Probably dont have to worry much since this isnt happening in the reg client

#254 Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

1) Minimalistic design and a lot of space to observe the mech. (but should be adjustable)
2) Color and customization menu, it does not support mouse wheel scrolling. Also I find it counterintuitive, and more suited for joypad control then keyboard and mouse.
3) I have blocked people who are now displayed with the rest of the friends, lacks grouping.
4) I don't find it comfortable to buy Premium time as a token from the store, current MC exchange is better and faster.
5) I like the new fonts in-game, everything looks crisp.
6) Too munch spreadsheets and same repeating items (engine menu), it's uncomfortable for the eyes. Menus lack contrast. Certain actions take more steps to achieve result then now.

#255 Ronious

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 82 posts

1. That it is coming soon.

2. The new MechLab is not the most user-friendly. It seems like the wheel is being re-invented here. I can get used to it but it feels less intuitive than the current mechlab.

3. It took me a moment to find it. There seems like a lot of empty real estate on the right edge of screen. Just thinking, could we have a last dropped with list as part of the social system. With the ability to send friend request or ban players accordingly.

4. The mech's stats should be be displayed when you click or hover the icon in the store. Even better than that there should be an examine button which allows you to view the mech showroom style with its specs displayed off the side. Even better than that would be the ability to paint and camo the mech at the same time. Just maybe you could offer a slight discout on paint or camo purchashed with the initail sale of the mech.

5. No real comment.

6. Cockpit glass adds one more barrier to my ability to see in world already clouded by film grain. However, I do like the effect, it gives more a sense of being sitting inside the mech as opposed to piloting the HUD. I look forward to seeing the toned down effect that was impilied we would find on the upcoming patch. Remove film grain or make it optional and I think its a winner.

#256 OneBildoNation

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

I really like the look of the mechlab. Making the mech the focus of the player's attention is really cool and looks great.

The equip button on the item tiles is a big improvement.

The cockpit glass effect really helps with immersion.

Being able to assign weapon groups in the mechlab is a wonderful feature. I would like to suggest an addition: can you show in that menu the actual location on the mech of each weapon you are grouping? Such as Medium Laser (RT), Medium Laser (CT) etc. Only knowing the weapon is on the torso or arms is not as helpful as knowing precisely where it is.

My framerate was higher in the Test Server than in the usual game. Keep doing whatever causes that to happen!

Changes to the fonts and "look" of menus and HUD were all top notch.

Being able to experiment with mech builds and use extra money and MC to look at items with no risk. We do not have the feature to "try things out" in the game at the moment, and therefore I buy less cockpit items and Hero mechs. I am more likely to buy something I am confident about having.

Filtering mechs is great.

Inventory.

The data screens on weapons and mechs.

The layout of the mechlab is still a bit clunky and confusing. My wishlist for changes would include:

Decreasing the size of the images in the item tiles and increasing the size of the items' names.

The info screens for weapons should not only show when the mouse is hovered over the tile. Could you find a way to make a button to display them and a simple way to get rid of them?

Including the tonnage and slots directly on the tile for each item.

Showing the loadout of the entire mech at once instead of section by section. I found it very difficult to keep track of what I had put into the mech already. I posit that users do not build mechs section-by-section but instead "type-by-type" ie: putting on all primary weapons, then the engine, then the misc items, etc. Seeing the loadout of the entire mech at once is 100% necessary for a smooth experience.

It looks like it will work fine, however I did not form a group and play because none of my friends were on at the time that I was. So incredibly excited about making groups of any size in the near future!

They looked efficient. I like that they display what is on sale. I do think that the store should have a notice or filter for items/mechs you already own.

I liked the look of the HUD and the cockpit glass. The game ran better on the test server than it does normally, so I have no complaints here.

#257 DrXitomatl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

I being able to see my mech in such a large form.

Fullscreen mode!!! I have a triple monitor setup. I like the way it is in UI 1.5, where I have a moderately sized window for the UI, but once I get into a match it goes full screen to 5920 x 1080. Now with UI 2.0 if I select 5920 x 1080, that's my resolution during matches and in the front end. I want to play the game on full screen across all three monitors, but the UI is TERRIBLE across all three. I have information spread all over the place, in small text in the far left lower corner, in small text in the lower center-right. Also, I like to have a Smurfy's page up, or MechSpecs, or something, even the news up, along side MWO. Gives me something to do while waiting for the system to find me a match! Please let me keep that ability!

Please get rid of the sound that happens every time the mouse cursor goes over anything clickable. It's obnoxious

Please change the system for choosing colors in the Camo Spec editor. I own a fair amount of colors, and only being able to see a handful of them at a time isn't great. I'd prefer to have every color laid out in front of me at once. Let me select to see "All paints" "All owned" and "All not yet owned." Then just lay out all of the colors for me.

I hate the giant icons. The best/worst example of this engines. On a triple monitor setup, I'm seeing two monitors worth of identical looking engines. It looks terrible. A list with small icons would be fine, but honestly you don't even need icons, they all look the same except for STD vs XL. Maybe just one good picture, drawing, icon or whatever of a single XL and one of a STD, each with a listing of sizes in text boxes adjacent to it.

I have many more ideas, complaints, etcetera, but I don't want to overwhelm, so I'll just add one more:

Please make it easy to see at a glance what the loadout is for a mech. Also, the graph at the bottom is too small/in the wrong place. I like the old system much better for this purpose, but even just this would be a good start:
Posted Image

#258 confracto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

couldn't find hardpoints listed anywhere.

#259 Sugomi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

Clean graphics. Very nice presentation of mech. Responsive buttons.

I dig the cockpit glass. Hopefully there will be some variation in color of the glass so as to differentiate mechs and their manufacture.

-Too much rollover sound. Need some, but not that much.

-There needs to be an 'apply' button in video settings. Because they always have one of those!

-Hopefully there will still be the option to have a windowed mechlab and a fullscreen game.

Information is far too spread out. For example, when the home tab is activated, ones current mech and premium time are more relevant to the play now button and should be located at the top right, likewise with the settings icon (which is very common practice). If it was in the top right and used a gear icon it wouldnt even need to be labeled.

Need to be able to sort inventory by mech chassis, weight. (I assume this is forthcoming)

Need to be able to sort weapon inventory by type. (I assume this is forthcoming)

I like the intial presentation when selecting a mech in the mechlab tab; however, it would be better if an overview of the loadout (classic BT/smurfy style) was the hover-over instead of movement data, some of which is made redundant by the data block at bottom right. This data should be available as a small clickable button on the mech icon.

The workflow when in the mechlab is very not good. I never got to try the 1st iteration of UI 2.0, but it was much the same from what I understand.

-Breaking up the selection of location and what is in the location with that large item selection window is cognitively jarring.
-The icons for the items are unnecessarily large and do not aid in identifying what the item is as they are disproportionately larger than the text label.
-Keeping track of weight/heat/speed changes is unintuitive due to the pertinent information being so small and so far away . The original method and location were excellent at this.
-Returning to the bottom left to finalize the transaction is odd.
-Not giving an overall view of the loadout makes it impossible to comprehend the total build.
-Menus at all resolutions up to 2560x1440 partially covered up the mech model which hid the cool mesh changed.
-the camo spec screen needs to show all owned colors in one large pallette that then can be filtered by sub category. clicking through one by one is just nonsense. imagine using photoshop/illustrator like that?

Overall I think this iteration of the mechlab is a regression. Going back to the horizontally aligned loadout/modules/camo/cockpit tabs, utilizing a smurfy type layout where the selected location was highlighted/animated, and leaving a nice preview of the mech on the right side of the screen is a suggestion.

It seemed to be hiding from me.

I was confused as to how to buy a mechbay, and only later noticed one on the home tab? I can't quite remember, but it ended up being somewhere odd when I didn't need it.

Keep at it, and remember there is no need to reinvent the wheel. The original paper-doll for table-top BT is hard to beat.

Edited by Tungsten MD, 16 January 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#260 Thragen

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

-- Uses the full screem
-- I can see all of my mechs at once
-- My frames per second where very nice
-- I like being able to setup my weapon groups before launching.

-- The mech lab is terrible. With that much screen space, there should be a mech doll where I should be able to see every critical slot in every location at the same time.
-- The cockpit glass affect is terribad!!! Get rid of it!!! It serves not purpose!!!

-- I didn't get a chance to test it.

-- They are alright. I didn't get to use them much.

-- No feedback at this time

63 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 63 guests, 0 anonymous users