Insane Ideas for Your Home Cockpit

25 replies to this topic

#21 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

If you know some basic electrical skills, you can avoid putting in screens and buttons inside the cockpit that are just eye candy, and instead have a real functioning cockpit.

I remember one guy setting up a cockpit that basically took a computer keyboard and wired different cockpit buttons to the keys on the keyboard, so he didn't even need a keyboard inside.

#22 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

Flight Simulation enthusiasts are calling theese 'SimPits'.
There are large communities dedicated to building simulator cockpits, loads of good (and not so good) tutorials to be found on building sim pits.

btw... while building a cockpit, you might as well 'just go the miles extra' and do a complete mech. :)

#23 buckyballs

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

I think I'd be happy with just a very mecha-esque chair, honestly.

#24 GryphonTA

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

http://simhq.com/for...or_Cockpit.html

This one was roughly based on a vulture cockpit.
The builder really did an awesome job on creating the feel with his scratch built additions, like the O2 tank on his ACES2 ejection seat.

#25 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:02 AM

View PostExilyth, on 20 November 2011 - 07:13 PM, said:

Flight Simulation enthusiasts are calling theese 'SimPits'.
There are large communities dedicated to building simulator cockpits, loads of good (and not so good) tutorials to be found on building sim pits.

btw... while building a cockpit, you might as well 'just go the miles extra' and do a complete mech. ;)

Man that would be cool...But sadly, whilst I have high ceilings in my wee tenement flat, not quite mech sized...

Worth nothing that there are circuit boards out there than essentially replicate the keyboard rewiring, amongst other things. probably not a cheap as rewiring a keyboard, but certainly more elegant.

#26 Peace Possum

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 56 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC, USA, Terra

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostPropWash, on 16 November 2011 - 02:50 PM, said:

Boy, that split 3.0 picture that Crowfoot from DSC took at my place WAAAY back in the day sure makes the rounds.

Anyone think there would be a market for old non-functional 3.0 cockpits for home PC conversion?

I might end up helping someone get rid of some in the near future and wonder if we savel some for hobbyists.

Hold on to 'em if you can! I don't know how much it'd cost but I'd be interested.
If nothing else, they're crammed with lostech.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users