Please Make It An Option To Disable Auto Target Lock.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Grayblue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

When I fire at an opponent, sometimes the mech would automatically lock the target.

Please allow to disable this function!!!

The auto-lock ACTALLY HINDERS me from locking targets!!!!!

It just keeps auto locking target right before I press the R key, so I end up UNLOCKING the target when I press the R key.

NOT HELPFUL AT ALL.

#2 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

If it autolocks, it means you are firing at the target.. which means you are shooting without having the target locked... which means you are doing it wrong.

Always hit R before you shoot.

#3 Krujiente

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Sometimes I need to dumbfire lrms and the autolock screws with that.

#4 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

View PostGrayblue, on 18 January 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

When I fire at an opponent, sometimes the mech would automatically lock the target.

Please allow to disable this function!!!

The auto-lock ACTALLY HINDERS me from locking targets!!!!!

It just keeps auto locking target right before I press the R key, so I end up UNLOCKING the target when I press the R key.

NOT HELPFUL AT ALL.

Adapt. Lock first, then fire ... OR ... don't press R because you KNOW it will auto-lock.

View PostKrujiente, on 18 January 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Sometimes I need to dumbfire lrms and the autolock screws with that.

Adapt. Lock a target that is not near your dumbfire target, and continue your usage of LRMs so the real target doesn't get the incoming missile warning.

#5 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Honestly, even if a target is locked with R, it doesn't give you an instant missile lock... so if you want to dumbfire LRM's, just hold the reticle off target for a second, then fire at them before it locks.

#6 Grayblue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 18 January 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

Adapt. Lock first, then fire ... OR ... don't press R because you KNOW it will auto-lock.

We DON'T know if it will auto-lock. It does not always happen. It happens sometimes and it does not happen other times. That's why I cannot rely on always pressing R or always holding back.

Adapt. Lock a target that is not near your dumbfire target, and continue your usage of LRMs so the real target doesn't get the incoming missile warning.

With autolock disabled, we won't have to deal with this do we?

I am not saying remove the function from the game for those of you who like it.

I am saying make it optional.

Edited by Grayblue, 18 January 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#7 Grayblue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostRoland, on 18 January 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

If it autolocks, it means you are firing at the target.. which means you are shooting without having the target locked... which means you are doing it wrong.

Always hit R before you shoot.

The problem happens because I DO press the "R," which results in unlocking when I mean to lock it. So why don't you try to read before you spew your condescending repose?

Not pressing R is not "wrong." Sometimes I do not want to lock it for various reasons. Sometimes getting a snapshot on a suddenly exposed target is more important than pressing R key.

You can lecture about the "always press R" rhetorics all you want, but reality of the game is different.

Edited by Grayblue, 18 January 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#8 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Its working as designed. It doesn't stop you dumb firing at all. Hitr ffirst then fire. This is there because that is the behavior 99%of player need 95% of the time.... Making the change yo want will make life harder for the vast majority of players esp new ones.

The number of time I dumb fire is about 5%. So really not that useful

#9 Grayblue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

How does it make it harder for you if turning it off is an option? You get to keep what you want.

Also, why would you even need auto-lock if you always press R key before firing?

Edited by Grayblue, 19 January 2014 - 12:14 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users